• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
still i think if they do show sora off as a character he would be released some time in janurary, what better time then that
I think they'd release him alongside the meme character. Doesn't seem practical to have a patch that puts a character in the game in January, only to have to do it 2 weeks later in February.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Wait, there is actual confirmation that DLC characters were decided with the base roster?
he said so in the direct, as during the section on dlc he said they had already decided on the roster and that rex was shown off too late to make it thus he is a costume, to me that heavily implies that they picked the dlc back in late 2015/early 2016 when they made the roster for the game

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
"Hey, it has Superman on the cover, so it must be good!"
I vowed to never fall for it again, but...

Why. Why does this keep happening. WHY.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
On the website it says "get all game DLC." It seems like, as it's planned now, that's it. I wish that wasn't the case, and I hope it isn't, but it seems fairly likely we'll only get the 5 DLC characters, and they're already planned.
Yeah, we'll have to wait and see how things go. Sometimes a game is planned to only have this or that but then some changes are made and they decide to add more.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I think they'd release him alongside the meme character. Doesn't seem practical to have a patch that puts a character in the game in January, only to have to do it 2 weeks later in February.
very possible and i dont really see a reason not to do that, they released multiple dlc characters at the same time before during smash 4

Shroob

Sup?
At this point I'm more curious about this mysterious Piranha Plant stage moreso than anything.

The code page says nothing about a stage, but the article about it clearly states a stage and music, AND we have 1 extra empty stage spot on the stage select screen.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
So I guess in terms of collectibles we're looking at spirits of multiple varieties, music, and Mii outfit stuff? That's not too bad.

As someone who really likes to go through the single player content of Smash, I'm pretty bummed about there being no trophies, but as Hydraulic Hydra pointed out, spirits are basically Brawl stickers which is pretty cool. Overall, I'm easily most excited about the roster. I can't wait to try everyone out!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The only thing I can say that really made me upset is...

Why isn't the Piranha plant fighter number 69? It was a missed opportunity.
Because a flower pot bottom doesn't sound appealing for 69.

Last edited:

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Hmmm knowing now that they decided DLC characters two years ago might change a lot. I could now see Banjo-Kazooie, and definitely not a Bethesda rep anymore, or a Blizzard rep. They didn't get buddy buddy with those companies til recently. So taking into account games that were announced or popular back at that point, Sora seems more likely and Dragon Quest perhaps less so. Ugh, I gotta do some research now. XD

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
At this point I'm more curious about this mysterious Piranha Plant stage moreso than anything.

The code page says nothing about a stage, but the article about it clearly states a stage and music, AND we have 1 extra empty stage spot on the stage select screen.
There wont be 1. Piranha Plant is separate from the 5 mentioned DLC packages in the Direct. He is a 6th DLC fighter that is alone, free to those who purchase and register their game with Nitendo prior to Jan 31 and then afterwards available for purchase to those who didn't or couldn't get him for free.

So we still have 5 unannounced DLC fighters, and 1 announced DLC fighter (Piranha). 6 DLC fighters in all.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hmmm knowing now that they decided DLC characters two years ago might change a lot. I could now see Banjo-Kazooie, and definitely not a Bethesda rep anymore, or a Blizzard rep. They didn't get buddy buddy with those companies til recently. So taking into account games that were announced or popular back at that point, Sora seems more likely and Dragon Quest perhaps less so. Ugh, I gotta do some research now. XD
It's a good thing my most wanted characters are old as ****.
Smtjapaneselogo.jpg

And irrelevant.

Shroob

Sup?
There wont be 1. Piranha Plant is separate from the 5 mentioned DLC packages in the Direct. He is a 6th DLC fighter that is alone, free to those who purchase and register their game with Nitendo prior to Jan 31 and then afterwards available for purchase to those who didn't or couldn't get him for free.

So we still have 5 unannounced DLC fighters, and 1 announced DLC fighter (Piranha). 6 DLC fighters in all.
You say that, but they flat out say it's getting a stage+Music:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

Early Purchase Bonus: Piranha Plant takes root! The iconic enemy from the Super Mario series is coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for early purchasers. Players can purchase the digital version of the game or register their physical game card on a Nintendo Switch device by Jan. 31, 2019, to gain access to this new fighter when it is available around February 2019 at no additional cost. Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. Fans can pre-purchase the game and secure the Piranha Plant reward starting today by visiting http://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Piranha Plant comes off like a character that was birthed from a programmer screwing around one day, like they didn't have much else to do that day and just decided to slap a Piranha Plant model over one of the characters for giggles. Then Sakurai saw it, thought "hmm, what if we actually did this?" and the rest was history.

I'm definitely curious to hear Sakurai explain his reasoning for Piranha Plant in the inevitable interview or Famitsu column. One of the weirdest yet strangely great character picks we've ever seen in Smash.

D

Deleted member

HOLD UP A GOD DAMN SECOND. DO WE ACTUALLY HAVE A SEPARATE ADVENTURE MODE???

Screenshot (1109).png

I need like, confirmation NOW. WHY didn't they make this more clearer in the Direct?! Is this like, a separate mode from Spirits? If this is the Adventure Mode I've been wanting for a long time again, a lot of my distain from the Direct will be qualmed.

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
E3 Direct (20-ish minutes):
- Every character returns
- So many returning stages
- ****ING RIDLEY

August Direct (30-ish minutes):
- Over 100 stages
- Over 800 music tracks
- Rules/Modes: Smash meter, squad strike, an iron man mode
- ****ING KING K ROOL along with 5 other characters

November Direct (40-ish minutes):
- 2 base characters, no more stages
- Trophies are stickers
- Brightness settings
- 6 DLC characters, one's a plant

Now, I'm not one of those people saying the game is awful. I was sold at E3 with every character returning. But I'm allowed to be disappointed in the Direct if it offered me, personally, very little in that 40 minutes. There's being anti-climactic, and then there's being completely lopsided. It would have been better had they swapped the August and November Direct for the most part. For me, it peaked at E3, very little of the new content interests me, but I'll still be getting the game because it still has the same content as when I wanted it at E3. The disappointment is over the wait and hope for content that would appeal to me. Glad for those who like it, I'm just one of the unlucky ones, hype wise.

Shroob

Sup?

View attachment 175001

I need like, confirmation NOW. WHY didn't they make this more clearer in the Direct?! Is this like, a separate mode from Spirits? If this is the Adventure Mode I've been wanting for a long time again, a lot of my distain from the Direct will be qualmed.
That's what the Land of Light is.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

View attachment 175001

My man. It was the surprise mode at the end. Supposedly separate from Spirit.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps there's a couple variant modes for Spirits, an Adventure mode and a (for lack of a better term) "Endless" mode? Plus Spirits Versus and other such things.

You'd almost certainly see both when selecting Spirits on the menu, right?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's what the Land of Light is.
So this is kinda Subspace 2 but more like Subspace + Melee's Adventure mode? JESUS NINTENDO, YOU SHOULD'VE SAID THAT IN THE DIRECT.
Okay, NOW we're starting to turn this ship around for the better. **** YES.

I'M MOTIVATED.

Last edited by a moderator:

Airin

Smash Rookie
Wait, so trophies were never a gacha?

But i threw money at the machine and got the same ones over and over.

Can somebody explain why people call spirits cacha but not trophies?

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Question: why is it that when a certain Mii costume is announced, like Rex's, that character which the costume is based off of is deconfirmed? Has this ever been stated?

Last edited:

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Is this it? Have we finally gotten them all?

....OBJECTION!!!

NOT SO FAST PHOENIX, for according to the autopsy report on the Smash Direct, there are five more unknown DLC CHARACTERS!

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So this is kinda Subspace 2 but more like Subspace + Melee's Adventure mode? JESUS NINTENDO, YOU SHOULD'VE SAID THAT IN THE DIRECT.

I'M MOTIVATED.
Err, no.
Heck, even in the Japanese trailer, they said explicitly "IT AINT STORY MODE"

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
For people who didn't know that World of Light I think it's called was a story/adventure mode...what did you think it was?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

I'M MOTIVATED.
Be careful, it's more adventure mode with SSE boss, it will probably have intro cutscenes and ending cutscenes but not much story otherwise.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So, does anyone know or have an idea to how the Grinch leak was done?
People make it out to be far more complicated than it probably was. It was probably a couple of french trolls who looked up a marketing firm, got lucky and found Marina (As they worked with Namco and Universal) and then found Eric's linkedin Page from Marina's Linkedin page as he was the only employee listed for them. Who ever did it likely didn't know Eric no longer worked there and currently worked at ACP.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Piranha Plant comes off like a character that was birthed from a programmer screwing around one day, like they didn't have much else to do that day and just decided to slap a Piranha Plant model over one of the characters for giggles. Then Sakurai saw it, thought "hmm, what if we actually did this?" and the rest was history.

I'm definitely curious to hear Sakurai explain his reasoning for Piranha Plant in the inevitable interview or Famitsu column. One of the weirdest yet strangely great character picks we've ever seen in Smash.
People: "Wow, Kencineroar is so boring and predictable, there must be someone else!"

Sakurai: "It is the path of your choosing."

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Question: why is it that when a certain Mii costume is announced, like Rex's, that character which the costume is based off of is deconfirmed? Has this ever been stated?
Fan made rule. Considering Sakurai has made it his job to kill fan made rules, who knows how long that will last.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Because 90% of the time. Mii Costume are a way for Sakurai to give a nods to Characters he can't make as a fighter.

Heck, he literally said that Rex is a Mii costume because DLC were planned since the beginning and his game came too late.

D

Deleted member

Err, no.
Heck, even in the Japanese trailer, they said explicitly "IT AINT STORY MODE"
Be careful, it's more adventure mode with SSE boss, it will probably have intro cutscenes and ending cutscenes but not much story otherwise.
I mean hey, that's all good with me, because I actually love Melee's Adventure Mode. Flesh that **** out? OOOOH, YOU GOT A MAMA MIA PIZZA PIE.

Alright, I'm feeling much more happier than before. Scotty boi is back.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean hey, that's all good with me, because I actually love Melee's Adventure Mode. Flesh that **** out? OOOOH, YOU GOT A MAMA MIA PIZZA PIE.

Alright, I'm feeling much more happier than before. Scotty boi is back.
I mean, it's not a side scroller if that's what you're thinking. It's more like a topdown view of a GIANT map with lots of fights at various points and bosses.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm kind of sad DLC characters are apparently not gonna be added to the mural? I'd love to see them get added and where you'd place them.

Imagine Piranha Plant trying to eat Mr Saturn or something.

Freaky Mutant Man

Smash Apprentice
People make it out to be far more complicated than it probably was. It was probably a couple of french trolls who looked up a marketing firm, got lucky and found Marina (As they worked with Namco and Universal) and then found Eric's linkedin Page from Marina's Linkedin page as he was the only employee listed for them. Who ever did it likely didn't know Eric no longer worked there and currently worked at ACP.
There's also the possibility that the leaker did actually work at one of those firms (or another), used the facilities to print the fake materials, then changed their Snapchat name to their unsuspecting co-worker Eric to cover themselves. In this scenario, the Grinch merchandise could be legitimate.

But, I'd only say that's plausible if we actually saw those specific Grinch items out in the wild. Otherwise, your idea's probably more likely.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I could see that DLC statement as people are interpreting it. I could also see it referring to why Rex didn't make base, and the "all characters chosen" bit simply being about the base roster, with it happening during the DLC section because the Rex costume is DLC.

I think the context is a little muddy tbh.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I could see that DLC statement as people are interpreting it. I could also see it referring to why Rex didn't make base, and the "all characters chosen" bit simply being about the base roster, with it happening during the DLC section because the Rex costume is DLC.

I think the context is a little muddy tbh.
But think about it- if it was just for Rex and the Base roster, it wouldn't make sense to sell the Mii Costume as a Bonus for the Fighter pass to literally deconfirm him right away if the fighters were choosen AFTER his game was out don't you think?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it's not a side scroller if that's what you're thinking. It's more like a topdown view of a GIANT map with lots of fights at various points and bosses.
Um, by the way... How big was that map!? And how many Spirits we have in total?

I mean, it's obvious they had to do with limited stuff, but it still looks huge like SSE.

and wow, there are so little people here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom