• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
What's even in the awkwardly named Games & More at this point? Classic and the few Multi-Man Smash modes remaining?

TVDart

Smash Apprentice
There's going to minecraft content, so either you need a Steve + minecraft stage DLC bundle, or a Banjo + minecraft stage DLC bundle, or both Banjo and Minercfat bundles separately.
Mmm please don't take insider leaks too seriously in regards to DLC considering Vergeben didn't know about the only currently decided on and finished piece of DLC.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
It is but I wish they all could be like Chrom.

Like I'm glad Daisy is a fighter but what is so special about her that meant she couldn't be a costume this time?
Well Daisy being a costume of Peach doesn't make any sense because they're completely different people/characters.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
My boi wasn't in the trailer, not even in the ominous possessed characters wideshot.

What are they planning for him?!!!
Nearly half the cast wasn’t in that trailer though. I don’t think it means anything.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Before we get our hopes up (again) maybe we should think rationally (again) about what's been announced thus far.
We have five new character slots confirmed. No confirmation of multiple waves. At the price of DLC packs now, I don't see them doing much more than this; at least not for a long time.
Keeping in mind that Sakurai will be spreading these out across a year and using them to keep hype for the game, here's the spread out I'm predicting:

1. Geno. Unfortunately I don't see Sora due to licensing complications with Disney (looking into it, turns out Disney is the ones with rights to the Kingdom Hearts characters!), but Geno is an obvious inclusion. I think he'd be a great way to ease us into the first paid DLC passed the plant boi. It's a good sign that there's been no signs of the Mii Costume returning. Stage: Rose Town + Forest Maze
2. Skull Kid. Sliding out of the assist trophy room is a big deal for the little guy. Geno and Skull Kid would make a really great (Mario + Zelda) pack for people, and would be an exciting addition to the roster. I don't see people getting mad about this. Stage: Termina Village
3. Jibanyan. It's not exactly thrilling to see out here, but Japan loves this little guy! Luckily he's recognizable enough to appear as DLC since Yokai Watch is actually a decently popular show still, even in the US. It'd also be perfect timing to release around the time Yokai Watch 4 drops. Stage: Springdale
4. Lara Croft. You guys know me as the "Crazy guy who thinks Lara Croft would get into Smash" guy, which is totally fair... but, I still think she has potential to be a surprising guest character with a Nintendo history and an incredibly popular fanbase. Since she'd be dropping around Late 2019, it'd be a good way to reignite the fans around time for the holidays. Stage: The Temple
5. Banjo & Kazooie. The perfect character to send off the first wave of DLC and potentially the last character for Smash Ultimate. The hype of this character is insane, and the love the fans have for them is immeasurable. Making everyone smile is a great way to end of a wild and weird DLC set. Stage: Click-clock Wood (Could do Spiral Mountain!)
Why do I even ****ing bother with arguing for Sora?

Like, for every person I tell that DISNEY ISN'T A PROBLEM, another pops up out of the woodworks to say the exact same thing.

Smash Drinking Game: Take a shot every time someone says that Sora won't be in due to Disney.

I'd either be ****ing dead or a crippling alcoholic by now given how many times I've seen it happen.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I said this in another thread, but I think the lack of characters in the trailer is because of one of two things:

A) They cut the cinematic down for time in the Direct

B) Animating 76 individual characters would take up a lot of time (both in development and in-scene) and resources for what can already be conveyed with only about half of them

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Why are people upset about online again? You can make and join lobbies. This ameliorates any and all shortcomings present in previous games, apart from maybe laggy p2p connections. Lobbies in Smash are actual wish fulfillment. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well Daisy being a costume of Peach doesn't make any sense because they're completely different people/characters.
Since people are inevitably respond with "but Koopalings/Alph": You can't make 7 echos for one character and his unique mechanics likely makes it pretty hard for Olimar to have an echo.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
DK was in the panoramic shot in the beginning. Which means that, once again, my boi was the only OG 8 not shown. *sigh*
I'm pretty sure Pikachu wasn't there on account of TPCI probably not wanting their mascot killed

blackghost

Smash Champion
Honestly, so many echoes look basically identical that it's kinda frustrating they didn't want to do more.

Daisy, Dark Samus, Richter and Dark Pit are basically the same character from what it looks like, and any differences they do have won't matter in the majority of situations.

Lucina and Ken have some changes that at least change a bit of how the base character plays.

And Chrom got to be special.
chrome is a downgrade imo.
ken might be better than ryu (more speed and larger normals)
dark samus is samus 2.0 even the roll frame data usnt that good according to
richter was stated by nintnedo treehouse crew to have some differences but we never saw him used.dark pit is here i guess lol.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
As a Zelda fan, a massive one, I don't think any of them are triggered. Not about that, anyway.

Not to mention, you know... Ganondorf wasn't shown at all.

also, as a massive zelda fan, it's also my duty to tell you that you mean "ganondorf", not ganon. that's his beast form.
Okay. My bad for actually referring to his true form rather than a longer name that takes up more work when I'm wanting to be lazy.

It's also safe to assume that the massive Galaxy nuke afterwards prettt much wiped out all remaining life in the general viscinity. Not looking good for everyone except Kirby.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Mmm please don't take insider leaks too seriously in regards to DLC considering Vergeben didn't know about the only currently decided on and finished piece of DLC.
That's not the point. He's been right about EVERYTHING that he's said. Sure he doesn't know it all, and he doesn't claim to know it all either. But what he knows, he really knows. There will be minecraft content in smash. It's time to stop denying his "sources", although if today didn't convince you that they're legit then I'm not sure that minecraft content actually being in the game will either.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Are we really arguing canon in smash? That isn’t gonna be a healthy topic. Lol. Smash is it’s own thing. It uses characters from other games, but Ganondorf obviously can lose the someone without a master sword and Bayonetta and Cloud actually have to put forth effort against Duck Hunt.

Sakurai chose Kirby and I don’t care what his reason is. He made it. He made Kirby. He puts one creation in another creation as the head of the story ONE time. Who cares if he’s biased?
It’s his story! Are we gonna criticize Toriyama for putting Goku as the head of Dragonball Super? Pfft...Toriyama bias

NineS

Smash Lord
But when Piranha Plant is also getting his own stage and music, which has been confirmed, you can't really help but to also include him amongst the rest of the Fighter Pass characters.
Sorry to break it to you not really, but

Piranha Plant is NOT one of the 5 DLC characters in the Fighter's pass. Check the website.

We're still getting 5 unknown DLC characters + Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, while I do kinda find it to be a mild case of "lolsakuraibias," it actually makes sense.
Galeem unleashes an attack that fires extremely fast homing lasers.
The only way to escape would be to go at near light speed (essentially teleport) instantly and at will across a huge amount of space.

While some characters have the means to travel near light speed, none could prepare in time.
While some characters have the means to teleport, none could travel the distance needed to escape.

Kirby, and his ridiculous cartoon physics, is the only one, in that extremely fringe situation, that would probably make it.
And unlike Kirby, Sonic wasn't a ***** and tried to save those immediately around him.

What's the moral here, anyway?

Starbound

chrome is a downgrade imo.
ken might be better than ryu (more speed and larger normals)
dark samus is samus 2.0 even the roll frame data usnt that good according to
richter was stated by nintnedo treehouse crew to have some differences but we never saw him used.dark pit is here i guess lol.
I don't see how Chrom can be a downgrade when he doesn't have to deal with Roy's stupid sword hitbox gimmick that defeats the entire point of having a sword.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
There's going to minecraft content, so either you need a Steve + minecraft stage DLC bundle, or a Banjo + minecraft stage DLC bundle, or both Banjo and Minercfat bundles separately.
Or it's completely possible that old Vegetable man just had the completely wrong. Didn't it come from a different source as the rest of the information?

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Or it's completely possible that old Vegetable man just had the completely wrong. Didn't it come from a different source as the rest of the information?
Nope, and he doubled down today. Doubt him at your own risk, I don't think it's a very good idea anymore.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Why are people upset about online again? You can make and join lobbies. This ameliorates any and all shortcomings present in previous games, apart from maybe laggy p2p connections. Lobbies in Smash are actual wish fulfillment. Am I missing something?
you arent they are. making lobbies helps with character practice, allows for proper matchup practice and with elite battles you can up your chances of facing a quality opponent. online isgood imo. we knew we werent getting ranked mode. but at east the numbers and tags have meaning

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm pretty sure Pikachu wasn't there on account of TPCI probably not wanting their mascot killed
Wait what? Pikachu was ABSOLUTELY there!!! Remember the Sonic and Pikachu scene? The thread was talking about it for like 5 pages!!!

And the point was that having this overall focus on the OG 8 (the starters, the main menu, the dock, etc.) is imo pretty shallow if one of those characters is noticeably left out...

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't see how Chrom can be a downgrade when he doesn't have to deal with Roy's stupid sword hitbox gimmick that defeats the entire point of having a sword.
Pfft, who needs reach when you have a burning sword?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Are we really arguing canon in smash? That isn’t gonna be a healthy topic. Lol. Smash is it’s own thing. It uses characters from other games, but Ganondorf obviously can lose the someone without a master sword and Bayonetta and Cloud actually have to put forth effort against Duck Hunt.

Sakurai chose Kirby and I don’t care what his reason is. He made it. He made Kirby. He puts one creation in another creation as the head of the story ONE time. Who cares if he’s biased?
It’s his story! Are we gonna criticize Toriyama for putting Goku as the head of Dragonball Super? Pfft...Toriyama bias
You say this as if one of the frequent criticisms db and toriyama get isnt how ridiculously biased it is towards Goku while other characters, including most of the z warriors, are left in the dust to become irrelevant or forgotten

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well, it’s getting late now. I should probably leaf now.

Time to pipe down and get to bed...

Good night everyone. Today was fun.

Starbound

Wait what? Pikachu was ABSOLUTELY there!!! Remember the Sonic and Pikachu scene? The thread was talking about it for like 5 pages!!!

And the point was that having this overall focus on the OG 8 (the starters, the main menu, the dock, etc.) is imo pretty shallow if one of those characters is noticeably left out...
Maybe they just won't want to kill Yoshi?

...Why are you complaining about Yoshi not dying?

osby

Smash Obsessed

I mean, it's not that noticeably... Donkey Kong was barely in there at all.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion

Ganon's part of that statement is true though.

It gets overblown a lot, but he can indeed be put down and harmed by things other than a femboy elf and some magical god piss.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Echoes are pretty much costumes with minimum alterations.
Yeah but a "costume" is something you wear to alter your appearance. Peach "wearing" Daisy as a costume doesn't make any sense, unless it was just peach with an orange dress on. There are exceptions but for very minor things like pikachu libre and olimars costume.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Because it didn't happen on-screen.

Zinith Zinith I can't believe you want to see your main man get ****ing disintegrated Infinity Wars style. That's cruel.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean, it's not that noticeably... Donkey Kong was barely in there at all.
In their defense, Donkey Kong is really easy to miss.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Actually he died, just off-screen. :p

But, maybe death isn't the proper term, they aren't really in the real world where they can die, after all.

blackghost

Smash Champion
in a word: recovery.
from gameplay i've seen there are A LOT of moves sending at that vicious 45 to -45 degree angle. not to mention offstage gameplay from high-level players. chrome has no horizontal recovery. i watched the treehouse players edge guard chrome with ease using Isabelle and king k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom