• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Saw this thought on Reddit, so what are your guy’s opinion on Wave 2 DLC being characters that are upgraded from AT to playable, or a ballot to determine a character to get promoted from AT to a playable character. It’s not likely, but it’s possible.
I think it sounds a bit too hopeful/in denial right now. Not sure there will even be a wave 2 after all.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm definitely not maining Piranha Plant, but I don't have to main him to love his inclusion. I'll definitely be using him in casual matches and single player a lot though, as I do with a lot of characters. That "counter" move that goes halfway across the stage looks fun as heck.

If he's good enough to ever get even a little bit of usage, I'll probably love spectating him as well as long as his play style isn't toxic or anything (which is hard to imagine with Ultimate's aggressive, fast paced gameplay, but it could still happen).

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think it's unrealistic to know who you're going to main before you have the game in your hands and really take the time to explore all of the characters. However, I do definitely have a hierarchy of interest; as of right now, it looks about like this:

Character_interest_level.png

And yeah, obviously the unknown mostly increases my interest by making me more interested in exploring what's going on and seeing if the unknown factors might be really favorable to me. That explains why a character like Palutena whose playstyle was mostly "losing" in Smash 4 is pretty interesting to me because I'm presuming she gets enormous buffs and am really curious what real playstyle she'll end up having going forward, and it's kinda a bonus for every newcomer too.

D

Deleted member

Poor Primarina mistreated as heck... Decidueye gets Pokken, Incineroar gets Smash, but the by ten thousand miles best Alolan starter gets nothing
Alola in general seems to be very disliked.
Saw this thought on Reddit, so what are your guy’s opinion on Wave 2 DLC being characters that are upgraded from AT to playable, or a ballot to determine a character to get promoted from AT to a playable character. It’s not likely, but it’s possible.
I wouldn't bet on it. Sounds like deperate wishing if you ask me.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I'm definitely not maining Piranha Plant, but I don't have to main him to love his inclusion. I'll definitely be using him in casual matches and single player a lot though, as I do with a lot of characters. That "counter" move that goes halfway across the stage looks fun as heck.

If he's good enough to ever get even a little bit of usage, I'll probably love spectating him as well as long as his play style isn't toxic or anything (which is hard to imagine with Ultimate's aggressive, fast paced gameplay, but it could still happen).
That move doesn't seem to be a counter, rather, it appears to just have a lot of super armor.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
I've acknowledged Steve can grunt. Because that's the only sound he can make at all. How can his survivalist nature, strength, and intelligence be shown in his animations, sounds, or expressions?

Samus's personality is shown through her animations. Steve can only move his arms and legs at the sockets. I've already explained all of this multiple times.
Well idk dude, how is Samus' strength or intelligence shown through her animations besides walking, running, and jumping? She doesn't show off she just does it. Steve is the same way. Nintendo can probably come up with taunts or animations for him, just look at R.O.B

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
You really think we’ll only get 5 characters? This game is supposed to last the Switch’s entire life time.
For the moment i'm gonna stick with yeah I think we'll only get 5 for the time being, We might get more after the alloted time they have for these, but for the moment I think it's wishful thinking to drown the pain of this last direct.

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm in agreement that the Fighter Pass will most likely focus on third party content, with how many first party characters were put out of the running.

Should we get a second fighter pass however sometime in the future (and honestly I'm pretty confident we will), I'd expect that to be a lot more first party based. Perhaps even AT promotions/fighters based on Mii costumes. But that's in the near future, we've got a year or two until we reach that as a possibility.

That being said, I think the picks for the Fighter Pass will be:

Sora
Bandanna Waddle Dee
Lloyd
Banjo Kazooie/Steve (Really not sure on this one, can go either way but I do think one will happen.)
First Party Rep (Completely unsure on this one, Elma or Dixie seem the most likely)

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
So what's the story with Mariotehplumber and the Grinch leak? He made it right?
Is he Galaxy Brain?
I doubt that he made it.. he probably was just trying to get attention by attaching himself to this latest leak. To be honest the world may never know who created that Grinch Leak.. and it is probably best that way. For you see he did the one thing that nothing else could do at a time we needed it most. Give us a reason to be shocked and surprised... At least for a brief second. Team Real or Team Fake no matter which side you were it muddied the waters just enough to make what happened today what it was and for that itll never be forgotten. Perhaps it was an intentional mislead on nintendo's part? who even knows..

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Character trailers always make them look badass. But then you get in the actual game, and it's not quite how they're pictured. Dark Samus looks pretty badass in her reveal and character trailer, but, well, she's an Echo of Samus, who's been consistently bad throughout the series. So how good can she really be?

Doesn't matter to me, though. Tiers are no object. My mains in Smash 4 and Brawl were R.O.B. and Dedede, so they were never on my side anyways.

You make an interesting point.

A year ago, Mario+ Rabbids was leaked. There was a lot of "reeeing" to be had by many simply because of the Rabbids. But that meant that by the time the game was actually shown, people spent less time "reeeing" and more time paying attention to the game to find that it was actually... well, really damn good. Despite what one's initial reaction might be. People were able to appreciate the game for, well, the game itself, rather than just immediately dismiss it due to the premise.

Incineroar benefited in the same way. Imagine if there were no leaks whatsoever, and everyone went in with complete hope in Isaac, Geno, etc. Then Incineroar shows up to the complete surprise of everyone. The internet would be even more of a crapstorm than it is right now, because we've all had a couple months to expect and accept that Incineroar was coming. So, when we all finally looked at him and his unique playstyle and animations, we could appreciate that more, instead of being caught up in the fact that it wasn't what we wanted.

The only wrench in that expectation was a Grinch. That leak was apparently created by that "MarioTehPlumber" guy for the express purpose of spiting Sakurai, Nintendo, and us. It wasn't done for attention, like so many other fake leaks. It was done specifically and intentionally to hurt people.
Yeah, Mario Rabbids is a great example of why leakers are far more beneficial than detrimental honestly.
Poor Primarina mistreated as heck... Decidueye gets Pokken, Incineroar gets Smash, but the by ten thousand miles best Alolan starter gets nothing
Primarina sucks, and the whole Poppolio line is p crap both designwise and competitively

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, that'd show the "Minecraft" in essense, but the fact remains that he'd still be completely expressionless his stiff body language would convey less emotion, and obviously outside of the "OOF" and "BURP" noises he makes, I doubt his voice is gonna do much either.
And that's just for his taunts, with a game with as much freedom as movement as Smash, it'd be pretty awkward trying to make Steve look... graceful.
daaaang ..and i though that they were so expresive and at the same time, minimalistic in my head. specially the torch one. i guess i will need to train better my brain vision.

my point is that done purposefully, even stiffness can be an actual emotion, and sometimes isnt about how much movement you can put, and more about putting the exact precise movements. i Think that simon belmont smash attack is a strong representation of this.

a little like this 2 pictures of cats:

Putting a torch and giving a warm light , even if is just a screen effect and there is not actual lighting calculations involved can also be very expressive, even if steve doesn't move a friggin pixel-muscle. and it really portrays the steve character as a world builder, even if by the same extension is the player doing teh world building. but i don't think is particulary different to say link as the hero, or samus as the explorer.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's just weird the idea of leak bait when we actually have known the whole roster since like September or something

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yes, specifically first party cause I already know that the 5 we are getting first will be a majority 3rd party.

D

Deleted member

I won't lie, before the Smash Direct I was all on board when a good pre-order option would be available. After the Direct, though, I'm feeling quite reserved.
I don't even know if the Fighter Pass will be worth it, either. They really shouldn't have shown Piranha Plant in the beginning. At all. Because now it kinda sets the sentiment of how this Smash DLC Cycle is gonna be, and I'm worried that it won't match the same heights as Smash 4's.

Smash 4 got Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Corrin, Cloud and Bayonetta.
Smash Ultimate got Piranha Plant. (so far)

You see where I'm coming from? Sakurai better pull a Mewtwo/Lucas 3DS Trophy Bamboozle and add in Geno. Put in Sora, bring in Banjo-Kazooie and more.

Normally I'm not this much of a downer, but after the deconfirms and the pacing of this whole cycle, I'm kinda left a bit slapped in the face, if I'm gonna be honest. :/

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Character trailers always make them look badass. But then you get in the actual game, and it's not quite how they're pictured. Dark Samus looks pretty badass in her reveal and character trailer, but, well, she's an Echo of Samus, who's been consistently bad throughout the series. So how good can she really be?

Doesn't matter to me, though. Tiers are no object. My mains in Smash 4 and Brawl were R.O.B. and Dedede, so they were never on my side anyways.
I don't agree. I thought after their trailers that K.Rool and Isabelle both looked horrible since neither of their trailers showed them doing anything that looked strong at all and only warmed up to them with more footage showing what they can really do, and I was pretty unimpressed with Incineroar until a second game's worth of footage really highlighting how good that side special is. Inkling too I immediately saw the downsides (the inking people mechanic is really a lot worse than just doing good damage in the first place, managing a resource is a pure negative) and didn't realize the positives until I'd seen a substantial amount of match footage (high mobility, some really interesting unique options). Ridley looked great in his reveal since we saw super early that he has a move that does over 50% damage and the true absurdity of how slow he is didn't come through until later, Simon/Richter looked awesome up front and seem still really awesome now (I'm pretty well sold on the Belmont moveset at this point; sometimes things look good because they are good), and now Piranha Plant looks awesome up front. I think it's kinda a mixed bag.

blackghost

Smash Champion
i feel like we got so caught up in potential leaks we ignored sakurai.

we knew a character had to come out of left field but it was kinda swept under the rug.
takeaways from gameplay in direct/nintendo treehouse
ken is scary. faster than ryu with combo ability is scary. even if he has less knockback on killing moves less knockback than ryu is still better than most of the cast.
i could not see any discernable differences of daisy to peach.
Isabelle is better than villager book it right now.
chrome i gonna suffer long-term (at least roy wont be the worst FE character)
Curious to see how elite battles work out.
if you like big bodies sakurai heard you you've waited a long time. enjoy it for better and for worse.

DLC dreams: Sephiroth, Sora, Lloyd, Elma, Laura Croft
DLC realistic expectations: Lloyd and Elma

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I'd love that. Krystal needs an upgrade imo.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
You really think we’ll only get 5 characters? This game is supposed to last the Switch’s entire life time.
I mean, with the amount of newcomers we actually got, you can see how grueling it is to make new ones.

And it actually gets harder and harder the more characters you make, as everyone needs to be at least viable against each other.

So yeah, I'm going with the 6 we have confirmed for now. If we are lucky, maybe we get a few more as surprises or from special promotions, but I feel like a 2nd pass isn't happening.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
That move doesn't seem to be a counter, rather, it appears to just have a lot of super armor.
Yeah, I put "counter" in quotation marks because I wasn't quit sure, but you're probably right that it's just armord. That said it could still work as a pseudo-counter in function like Charizard's Rock Smash (RIP).

On that topic, it's also worth bringing up that Incineroar still takes damage while using Revenge so it isn't a true counter either. That explains why it's so powerful, since it seems to be a very high risk high reward move since you aren't even guaranteed to land your next attack. Both moves look really interesting to me, especially since regular counters are bloated enough that they feel boring in comparison.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
So is Piranha Plant the literal Pipe Dream Character?

Man, the disconfirmation of the Grinch Leaks is totally all right, because my Plant boy didn't get spoiled and the Character Trailer was actually pretty hilarious!

FEED ME!

Enchess

Smash Lord
Both Alolan starters that aren't Primarina sucks, and the whole Litten and Rowlett lines are crap designwise.
Fixed that for ya ;)

Seriously though, I really think Primarina wouldve been cool. I wanted to see what Sakurai could do with a character without legs and flippers instead of arms.

Somehow, I actually sorta got my wish though. #PiranhaMain

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I won't lie, before the Smash Direct I was all on board when a good pre-order option would be available. After the Direct, though, I'm feeling quite reserved.
I don't even know if the Fighter Pass will be worth it, either. They really shouldn't have shown Piranha Plant in the beginning. At all. Because now it kinda sets the sentiment of how this Smash DLC Cycle is gonna be, and I'm worried that it won't match the same heights as Smash 4's.

Smash 4 got Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Ryu, Corrin, Cloud and Bayonetta.
Smash Ultimate got Piranha Plant. (so far)

You see where I'm coming from? Sakurai better pull a Mewtwo/Lucas 3DS Trophy Bamboozle and add in Geno. Put in Sora, bring in Banjo-Kazooie and more.

Normally I'm not this much of a downer, but after the deconfirms and the pacing of this whole cycle, I'm kinda left a bit slapped in the face, if I'm gonna be honest. :/
P. Plant isn't part of the Fighter Pass though, so the path Ultimate's DLC will take will actually be decided by the first non PP DLC reveal.

The season pass only matters for those 5 characters after all. P. Plant is something separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom