• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Peri from Fire Emblem Fates
Outside of joke picks such as Shrek, I can't think of a single character who'd be more controversial then this. She's controversial enough within the FE fandom as is, I can't imagine what a mess it would be if she made it into Smash Brothers.

You must really like watching the world burn.

D

Deleted member

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting this game midnight release. I'll get a tent ready and everything.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
Imagine if Piranha Plant is Pichu's opposite.

This game's WTF joke character, but instead of being trash, he's godlike.
his moveset is so quirky and gimmicky that he'll probably be like a goofy mid-to-low tier pick. he'll probably become a gesture of disrespect in comp play lmao

imagine going into a competitive smash tournament and getting your **** pushed in by a flower or a wrestling cat

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Lol, you really trying to tell me that a voxel-man with an unchanging 8x8 face can be expressive smh.
Even G&W, with his new animations, expresses himself more.

Even in his own game, the man is floaty as **** and only interacts with his environment by swinging his right hand.
I can't imagine him in game, and I've put a **** ton of time into Minecraft.
hey, what do you think of this taunts? consider that i put this one out of my head in a couple of minutes, and im sure if it was my actual job to design a steve moveset, and i had teh experience of sakurai's team, i feel is actually pretty doable.

-Up taunt. a bed appears and steve sits on it waiting. if you want to go an extra mile, other characters also can have sitting animations and sit with steve. (refects relaxed nature and own pace gameplay)
-Down taunt, places a torch in the floor. the torch does nothing but gives a warm safe light around it (safety in light, cave exploring, and modifing teh enviroment)
-Side taunt he tooks a map... looks at it up and down, then puts it away (reflects its quality as a stranded guy, and it awkward perplexity at being lost)
-Side taunt alternative. A chest spawn he obessive rustles trough it contents then closes teh chest and the chest dissapears (obsesive compulsive disorder, inventory management and resource organization)
-another side taunt alternative. Takes a potion and drinks it. if young link can, why he cannot?
-yet another side taunt alternative A pig spawns, looks at steve and runs in panic (survival)
-did i said side taunt alternative yet? starts opunching the floor... but to his surprise, nothing happens. (worlds collide and this floor cannot be broken)

there... what i think would be incredible sweet up and down taunts, and even 5 side taunts to choose from. if you say that these taunts doesn't represent steve, try givng them to marth... or mario... or even villager.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If he doesn't get, you'll promise not to hate on Sakurai, right?

I don't think Piranha Plant will get a stage since it isn't part of the Fighters Pass.
It has been stated on the official Nintendo website that PP will get a stage and music.
They aren't. While I do think that World of Light IS an option inside Spirits, there's also that wanted poster board thingie where you randomly choose a spirit to fight against. That's probably what people are referring to

Well, yeah, but aside from boss fights, they seem to have the same general gameplay.

You fight a modified Smash fighter in a battle.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Somewhere deep inside I want Piranha Plant to be a obviously broken character so it's banned and I don't need to learn/play this MU.

I know it's a selfish desire that ignores that a lot of people wants to use the plant in tournaments and It's better that it doesn't happen, for the community at least...but I still would enjoy this scenario.
Imagine winning against someone over and over and then "Try beat with the plant... believe me, it's broken". No one would ever believe it.
I don't think any characters are getting banned almost literally no matter how good they are. Trying to ban Brawl MK failed. We, honestly completely correctly, did not ban Bayonetta. Even if one character is the obvious best in the game, the only thing to do is wait for a patch and just accept the game for what it is; let's not even entertain or consider banning characters no matter how good they are. The sheer process of entertaining that topic is just so overwhelmingly toxic that it does way, way more damage than the overpowered character ever could if just left to do whatever it is going to do.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Somewhere deep inside I want Piranha Plant to be a obviously broken character so it's banned and I don't need to learn/play this MU.

I know it's a selfish desire that ignores that a lot of people wants to use the plant in tournaments and It's better that it doesn't happen, for the community at least...but I still would enjoy this scenario.
Imagine winning against someone over and over and then "Try beat with the plant... believe me, it's broken". No one would ever believe it.
What's interesting is that if that really is Poison, does the damage continue even after the attack similar to a Lip's stick? It also seems to hover in the air for a good bit, and while seemingly slow, probably offers the most DPS of any "projectile" in the game simply due to the health draining ability it may have

I'm interested to learn more about the character

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
After seeing gameplay, I think a lot of these newcomers are going to appeal much more to my style than those from Sm4sh.

When Megaman, Pacman (I was hesitant at first, but after seeing his render I was hyped), and Duck Hunt Dog all got me really hyped, but I didn't like any of their playstyles. I like big, bulky characters so I'm pretty damn excited to play as Ridley, K Rool and maybe even Incineroar. As much as I loved SM4SH, none of the characters really "did it" for me.

Man, I'm so excited. We should do a tournament, like we did for the 3DS. I remember playing against some of you... I think I remember playing Vaanrose in a Ganon ditto... maybe not. I know I played SuperSmashBrosBeforeHoes SuperSmashBrosBeforeHoes (Even have video of it)

Anyone interested in doing an online tournament? If so just PM me (so we don't spam this thread) and I'll link you to a Discord page where we can set it up! :D

osby

Smash Obsessed

Competitive crowd can't ban broken characters.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
So does anyone think there are more modes to be discovered? Ultimate seems a little light on modes so far. We haven't seen anything like Special Orders, or Home-Run, or Event Mode, or Target Smash (unless I missed them). I'm at least hoping we get hidden modes like Boss Battles again.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
They aren't. While I do think that World of Light IS an option inside Spirits, there's also that wanted poster board thingie where you randomly choose a spirit to fight against. That's probably what people are referring to
Okay so what I'm thinking is this:

Under the Spirits button on the main menu, there are these options:
  • World of Light (biggest button)
  • Poster board thing
  • Facilities
  • Party
  • etc
I think this makes them basically synonymous. But I think we're thinking the same thing.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Outside of joke picks such as Shrek, I can't think of a single character who'd be more controversial then this. She's controversial enough within the FE fandom as is, I can't imagine what a mess it would be if she made it into Smash Brothers.

You must really like watching the world burn.
Yup.
It can be fun sometimes.

Emphasis on the SOMETIMES.

If Robin is slower than a ****ing potted plant I would be physically upset
He probably is, unfortunately.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
They are not going to make him exactly like Minecraft, I am sure they are going to make himself fluent with his attacks and taunts. Not too different, but they can make it work.

YouTubers have done well with this before.
I've seen how YouTubers have done it, with the creepy faces and Gumby animations. I can't say it's the best look. And when it comes to a third-party character, where every element of the character needs to be signed off by the owners, I don't know how modifying Steve to look like a YouTube animation would fly with Microsoft.

Granted, as I've said before, Microsoft seems much more chill than many of the other third-parties, so they'd probably be more... flexible.

The thing is though that his limited animations would be his personality, the same way it is for Mr.Game&Watch. He'd be hilariously out of place amongst all these highly animated and emotive fighters in a way that makes him stand out.

As for having a variety of moves, even if he can't bend his arms and legs, he can still swing them in different angles or pull out different items, so I don't think designing a moveset would be impossible for him either.
Mr. Game & Watch is not the same as Steve. G&W has a bunch of games with all kinds of different and distinct animations and activities. Juggling, chair wielding, headbutting, turtle-wrangling etc. G&W also has a variety of beeps and noises that no other character has, but Steve can only grunt. G&W stands out and is unique, but if all he could do was goose-step and swing his arms, he wouldn't be nearly as interesting or worth the time.

You can't liken Steve to any character on the roster. Not G&W, not Wii Fit Trainer, not Piranha Plant. Those characters don't show why Steve can work, they show why he can't. He's far more limited than any of them in terms of animation and expression.

Steve grunts when he gets hurt, so he isn't mute. We can infer that Steve is a survivalist; he has a drive to overcome any situation and is a skilled hunter-gatherer. He single-handedly kills supernatural monsters, including a dragon, so he is extremely strong. He's also pretty smart because of his DIY and enchantment knowledge.

It's like saying Samus can't get in because she has no "personality" or facial expressions. Completely irrelevant.
I've acknowledged Steve can grunt. Because that's the only sound he can make at all. How can his survivalist nature, strength, and intelligence be shown in his animations, sounds, or expressions?

Samus's personality is shown through her animations. Steve can only move his arms and legs at the sockets. I've already explained all of this multiple times.

~~~

Whatever. Sorry for being negative. I don't like being negative. If people want Steve, I'm not saying you shouldn't. I'm just saying I find him to be impractical as a character, and the jump in logic from "Minecraft content" to "OH IT HAS TO MEAN STEVE IS GOING TO BE A PLAYABLE CHARACTER" to be lacking in logic.

Here, let's all think about the adventures with Spirit Miller we'll have next month:

his moveset is so quirky and gimmicky that he'll probably be like a goofy mid-to-low tier pick. he'll probably become a gesture of disrespect in comp play lmao

imagine going into a competitive smash tournament and getting your **** pushed in by a flower or a wrestling cat
I dont play tournaments but it seems he has some damage resistance when ducking in his pot. He also ducks into it when performing his scratch special. If it keeps him completely safe (which would make sense from his base game) I could imagine ways for him being a pretty leathal character on some level.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
also it looks like poison doesn't do any knockback whatsoever but has some kind of stun property to it?
its weird because it looks like the poison is kind of a close-range move (it doesn't look to be a projectile) but all of his other moves imply a low-mobility campy character that likes to play keep-away.
so how the **** is this plant supposed to play?
i gotta find out.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
So does anyone think there are more modes to be discovered? Ultimate seems a little light on modes so far. We haven't seen anything like Special Orders, or Home-Run, or Event Mode, or Target Smash (unless I missed them). I'm at least hoping we get hidden modes like Boss Battles again.
Event Mode and Special Orders are most likely not coming back. Event because Spirits take that concept as their own and Special Orders because... eh... I don't feel like anyone missed that. Target Smash has been absent since 4 too. The only weird one out is Home-Run Contest which has always been there...

Starbound

This is my new headcanon, Piranha Plant is Petey's Son:

"When Piranha Plant gets the Smash Ball, father Petey comes and lays down the law.
Petey: graaaaahaaahaha (Leave it to me)

Also can we PLEASE get Petey's calypso music from Strikers? Or can it be Piranha Plant's victory song?

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I dont play tournaments but it seems he has some damage resistance when ducking in his pot. He also ducks into it when performing his scratch special. If it keeps him completely safe (which would make sense from his base game) I could imagine ways for him being a pretty leathal character on some level.
Don't you mean... LEAFthal?

that was awful end me

Starbound

also it looks like poison doesn't do any knockback whatsoever but has some kind of stun property to it?
its weird because it looks like the poison is kind of a close-range move (it doesn't look to be a projectile) but all of his other moves imply a low-mobility campy character that likes to play keep-away.
so how the **** is this plant supposed to play?
i gotta find out.
He's basically Dalshim from Street Fighter.

Super stretchy zoning. Only this one has poison instead of fire.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
On to the topic of DLC picks then! Though, really, I'm going to wind down my Smash speculation cause it's time. Here's the list of characters I could see as DLC for the game:

-Bandanna Dee
-Elma
-Geno
-Llyod Irving
-Banjo Kazooie
-Steve
-Dragon Quest Character (Slime, please Sakurai? If you can make Piranha Plant work, I KNOW you can make Slime work).
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Shantae
-Rayman
-Dixie Kong

I'm going off the logic that we can use Spirits in DLC because that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to just kill every possible choice. I think we get something like this:

1. Nintendo Character - Elma, Bandanna Dee, or Dixie Kong here.
2. Lloyd Irving - Popular Namco rep that makes sense as a third party character
3. Square Character - Probably Geno or a Dragon Quest rep, I'm still doubting that we'll see Sora.
4. Steve or Banjo - I think we only get one or the other, with Steve being the more likely (Unfortunately).
5. Wildcard Pick - Another third party or a first party character, just sort of any reasonable pick.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Event Mode and Special Orders are most likely not coming back. Event because Spirits take that concept as their own and Special Orders because... eh... I don't feel like anyone missed that. Target Smash has been absent since 4 too. The only weird one out is Home-Run Contest which has always been there...
You're totally right about Events mode. Spirits looks pretty fun, so that's not a total loss then. On target related things, SSB4 at least had Target Blast, and that's nowhere to be seen either.

D

Deleted member

I personally don't care for Steve, but I won't be mad if he's in.

When it comes to Smash rosters, you're ether yeeting or yacking. And I'm pretty satisifed with what we have so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
hey, what do you think of this taunts? consider that i put this one out of my head in a couple of minutes, and im sure if it was my actual job to design a steve moveset, and i had teh experience of sakurai's team, i feel is actually pretty doable.

Oh yeah, that'd show the "Minecraft" in essense, but the fact remains that he'd still be completely expressionless his stiff body language would convey less emotion, and obviously outside of the "OOF" and "BURP" noises he makes, I doubt his voice is gonna do much either.
And that's just for his taunts, with a game with as much freedom as movement as Smash, it'd be pretty awkward trying to make Steve look... graceful.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
As per whether the Piranha Plant is actually good, who can say? Every single thing we saw in that trailer looked powerful, but for such a strange character, it's hard to really visualize the playstyle with about one minute of footage that doesn't even show you every move he has and is from a build in which he's obviously not done (if he were done, he'd release at launch). It would definitely be very foolish to just assume he's going to be bad though because he's a goofball; he's a Pikachu sized character who can stretch to his huge areas and who has several moves that seem quick to supplement. We saw a pretty ordinary grab (always a big positive), and his mobility looked surprisingly okay for literally a potted plant (funny to laugh at every character who is outrun by a potted plant for sure). So he's really still a mystery, but the potential is pretty obvious there.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
We legit went from one form of speculation to the next and I love it.

My DLC picks? Well, I think it'll predominately third party akin to Smash 4.

Geno
Banjo Kazooie or Steve (an MS rep)
Rayman
Tails
Doomguy

Condenir

Smash Apprentice
You guys I am so HYPE seeing so many people having elma in their predictions :-3

But that also scares me bc we are literally so awful at predicting who’s gonna be in these games LOL

D

Deleted member

We legit went from one form of speculation to the next and I love it.

My DLC picks? Well, I think it'll predominately third party akin to Smash 4.

Geno
Banjo Kazooie or Steve (an MS rep)
Rayman
Tails
Doomguy
From one frying pan to another.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Oh. Really? That's awesome. I can't wait to see what the stage will be.
Imagine if the stage PP gets is Bowser's Castle.
That's be pretty cool, right?

Pipe Land would be pretty cool as well though. It'd certainly be unique.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
Something good that came out of the direct is we can finally put that dumb Issac earthquake conspiracy to rest
I'm excited for Incineroar and Pirahna Plant

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
One thing I'm really interested in is how much of him is a disjoint and how much of him is a disjoint when he attacks?

His Smashes seem to tip him over and extend his head, and that makes up 50% of his body. If he gets smacked there, would he get harmed ala Dhalsim from SF or is it completely invincible?

Akiak

Smash Ace
Direct was good, was honestly shocked by Grinch being fake

Ken is just Ken, sure, but damn he looks amazing, both visually and gameplay-wise

Incineroar...unfortunately looks really good, but I don't feel like his kit comes together to form a particularly interesting character overall... I'm sure I'll warm up to him to a certain degree though (hehe)

I like Spirits (seems addictive), and I really like World of Light.

Piranha Plant is honestly amazing and actually has one of the best movesets of the whole game lol

DLC, I see Banjo, Steve, and a Square rep getting in due to leaks. For the Square rep... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that spirits and avatars or whatever they are ARE deconfirmed. The evidence to the contrary doesn't really hold up in my eyes (WFT spirit is a specific pose, etc.) so I'm gonna say no Geno. I actually feel like the moment they added Geno's mii costume, they basically realised 'hey, this is actually pretty accurate to how he would play as a character' and just decided to leave it at that. Sad, but likely.

So it's a toss-up between Sora & DQ. I was leaning more towards DQ initially, but Sora definitely has more global appeal, which might be very important for these 'blind' DLC picks.

We could get Banjo as a character with a Minecraft stage... as a 'Microsoft slot', although I'm probably reaching. It's still unclear if we're getting any other DLC outside of the 5-pack, unless I missed some info.

Bandana Dee is a fairly strong pick imo, and probably the strongest first-party pick. Has anyone checked Dedede's entrance animation yet?

Finally, I feel like a female rep would be a good guess, again I think with these 'blind' packs of DLC there might be more effort than usual on character diversity (as well as significance). So probably Elma, or possibly Mach Rider.

Honorable mentions: Dante, Crash, Rayman, Heihachi

brb gonna research this Bandana Dee stuff
One more thing, as I was watching the Kencineroar trailer, the only thing I could think of was 1. How cool and well-made it was, and 2. What it would've been like without any leaks. I mean we'd probably still be expecting Decidueye lol. And there'd be some genuine excitement for both characters.

So yeah... Leakers are scum lol. That's my conclusion.

Please don't praise Vergeben in any way whatsoever. He doesn't deserve it and it'll only perpetuate the problem.

I realise I was really nice to Mystic but I feel like when he popped up we kind of needed leakers to come up, mainly just to help disprove the Grinch leak.

Starbound

As per whether the Piranha Plant is actually good, who can say? Every single thing we saw in that trailer looked powerful, but for such a strange character, it's hard to really visualize the playstyle with about one minute of footage that doesn't even show you every move he has and is from a build in which he's obviously not done (if he were done, he'd release at launch). It would definitely be very foolish to just assume he's going to be bad though because he's a goofball; he's a Pikachu sized character who can stretch to his huge areas and who has several moves that seem quick to supplement. We saw a pretty ordinary grab (always a big positive), and his mobility looked surprisingly okay for literally a potted plant (funny to laugh at every character who is outrun by a potted plant for sure). So he's really still a mystery, but the potential is pretty obvious there.
I really like this and I think that's probably why it's the joke character.

Just because it's a joke character doesn't mean he's going to be bad like our last joke character was.

...maybe that means Pichu won't be designed so poorly this time then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom