• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Leaf was a prime opportunity to use the shiny variants smh.
Ah well.

That's the thing about ZSS.
I never really liked her depiction in Smash.
In her own games, she's more based on technical skill and tricking the enemy while relying on stealthy attacks.

But here, she's faster, stronger, and more agile than normal Samus, with more versatile tools and a focus on up close and personal kicking attacks.
And that's not even talking about those jet boots that aren't based off of anything.
I mean, she does have a good handful of tricky moves and a lightweight playstyle that's based on not getting hit, so she sort of reflects her Metroid self. Sort of. Those jet boots are so weird though.

It's also extremely ironic that Zero Suit Samus has consistently been high tier while poor Power Suit Samus is low tier in both games she's shared with her.
Why is everyone hating on Piranha Plant?
Nice to see a joke character every once in a while...
Because it's not *insert character here*.

This always happens. Some poor unlucky fighter ends up being the escape goat for the Smash Bros fanbase.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
minor things that shouldn't matter at all

and yet

Here you are

And there isn't any character who's 100% accurate to the source material
True but at least they could fool you from a distance. I just came here to chat, I’m not actually gonna get Ultimate because they’ve gone too far for me this time.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
what did he say about Geno?
That Square-Enix probably doesn't care about insiders talking about Geno since he appears on every fake leaks ever.

But with the fact that he just said that he never listed any names from his list. It makes me think Geno ain't in his list.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
That Square-Enix probably doesn't care about insiders talking about Geno since he appears on every fake leaks ever.

But with the fact that he just said that he never listed any names from his list. It makes me think Geno ain't in his list.
And I thought the dream couldn't get any deader than him not being in base

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I expect an ending cutscene to WoL at most. I just really hope that fighters were the only rhing they planned on revealing 100%, because I'm gonna be real disappointed if the bosses are only SSE(-Ridley)+Dracula and Rathalos. What's the point of bringing those back if only 4 are actual Nintendo bosses?

toonito

Smash Ace
i dont get the whole hypest character MUST be revealed last when that's never been the case

Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Cloud, Ridley and K Rool are the hypest reveals of their respective games and none of them were last

also hype is different for everyone for me my most anticipated came out today

next time hype responsibly: A character is NOT confirmed until the splash screen. No more blurry leaks = 100% proof. This community tends to let their imaginations run rampant then get whiny when reality doesn't live up to them. Don't blame Sakurai or fans of other characters, you did that to yourself.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah, and now she looks all wrong as well as plays all wrong. Plus Samus doesn’t have her SR suit and Dark Samus has her lame Prime 3 design. I’m so disappointed by how the metroid characters have turned out. If this is the cost of Ridley then frankly they can keep him.
Oh my God, yes.
Her Samus Returns suit is such a good redesign (especially the gravity suit)
I was never a fan of the gravity suit before, but in Samus Returns, I love how the gravity suit actually intermingles with the gold and unifies the suit together with the glowing blue lights. Really makes the whole thing come together. If this was a DLC costume I would've bought it ten times over.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I expect an ending cutscene to WoL at most. I just really hope that fighters were the only rhing they planned on revealing 100%, because I'm gonna be real disappointed if the bosses are only SSE(-Ridley)+Dracula and Rathalos. What's the point of bringing those back if only 4 are actual Nintendo bosses?
I think there's gonna be a lot of secrets like bosses to replace characters no longer being secret

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I mean, she does have a good handful of tricky moves and a lightweight playstyle that's based on not getting hit, so she sort of reflects her Metroid self. Sort of. Those jet boots are so weird though.

It's also extremely ironic that Zero Suit Samus has consistently been high tier while poor Power Suit Samus is low tier in both games she's shared with her.

Because it's not *insert character here*.

This always happens. Some poor unlucky fighter ends up being the escape goat for the Smash Bros fanbase.
I'm at least glad that it's not Incineroar taking all of the hate

Mutsukki

Smash Ace

Oh... dang. I think he's just taking SE's stance on it too, with Geno not being a big name to drop and all that. But... yeah....

I sure hope it's Geno... but ANOTHER Mario character really seems... improbable..

D

Deleted member

I really thought that sprout might've been that Golden Sun item, and I know others thought the same. And that tweet that looked just like a Golden Sun battle too. Poor Isaac fans...

At least being an at is better than not being here at all.
Yeah, I really feel for GS fans today. I'm not even a fan of the series, but seeing Isaac as an AT legit upset me.

TBH, today was rough for a lot of people. Rex and Pyra, Isaac, Tiki, Spring Man, you name it, an AT came and crushed dreams. Those segments are always my least favorite in a Smash Direct...

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
At the very least, Golden Sun got a new track...
I think.

Was that BGM that played over his assist reveal new or is it a Brawl theme I forgot?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh... dang. I think he's just taking SE's stance on it too, with Geno not being a big name to drop and all that. But... yeah....

I sure hope it's Geno... but ANOTHER Mario character really seems... improbable..
The next Mario rep being a ****ing Piranha Plant seemed improbable as well
He clearly doesn't care about over-repping Mario imo
Geno's dead, but not for that reason

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
What exactly made Box Theory unbelievable again? I'm very curious
"They can change it, it's not final". And, that was it. Most of the stuff was "I don't like this!!" or "This is killing my hype :("

The next Mario rep being a ****ing Piranha Plant seemed improbable as well
He clearly doesn't care about over-repping Mario imo
Geno's dead, but not for that reason
I guess. I'll keep dreaming though. I really want Geno and all he represents for Mario RPGs

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
Honestly i would've taken another echo over piranha plant but i guess since I got megaman and daisy and inkling i'll live

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel bad for Isaac fans. He almost could've been playable.

I'm actually consider making a petition to help for the next Smash game. But I don't know if it'll work.

Untouch

Smash Master
Tabuu seems unlikely, Petey is out, Ridley+ is out.
That leaves Rayquaza (really isn't super relevant at the moment), Duon, Galeon and Porky.
I feel we're getting more than that.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I'd be shocked if there weren't any cutscenes to string a story together. Even if it is mission based in structure that didnt stop Mario Tennis Aces.

khfan93

Smash Cadet
i just hope theres more modes besides the ones we saw in all directs

(im saying this is because they didn't really talk about other modes in games and more i believe)

i don't want to unlock characters by subspace emissary 2.0
There's already more modes in this game than any previous Smash game?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So we got Verge hinting at a Square Enix Rep/Sora and Minecraft as DLC. If that is true, I wonder what the other three characters would be for DLC?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Really my only true disappointment is no Geno. I can live without playable Shadow-very odd choice though-but no Geno will sting forever.

And no don't try telling me he's gonna be DLC. You and I both know he ain't gonna.

'Least I got Incineroar

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What exactly made Box Theory unbelievable again? I'm very curious

The fact that people didn't like it.

Okay, real talk:
There's that bias stated above, but it's also the disbelief that Nintendo would not only spoil Simon Belmont the night before, but also the final amount of characters on the base roster.
Also their hopeful optimism lead them to believe (as Chrom would put it) "Anything can change!"
This combined with the much more believable and satisfying "Grinch" leak, placed a lot of disbelief on that leak.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
You know, if Sonic gets another fighter, I'm almost positive it would be....you know who...
maxresdefault (1).jpg
Actually, I would be okay with him

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Geno's chances being because there are too many Mario characters. Mario is Nintendo's mascot, he has the same status as Pokemon does in Smash in that a new character or two for him is one of the most probable outcomes.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
As of June 2018, the Switch has sold about 20 million units. Ultimate without DLC or any add-ons costs $60 USD and a rough equivalent in all other currencies. Ignoring the possibility that people (like myself) will buy a Switch just for Ultimate, and ignoring any profits to be made off of the resulting Switch Online memberships and DLC, that means there's 20 million people who can buy Ultimate.

If we assume that 80% of those people will at any point buy Ultimate (which isn't unreasonable at all considering previous Smash titles' success), then that's $960,000,000, or almost a billion dollars. Super Smash Bros Ultimate could be a billion-dollar game featuring plumbers, talking dogs, ten-year-old children who fight the universe and win, a guy who is both a pig and a Gerudo, a mythical dinosaur-ish thing, a balloon with eyeballs, and a crocodile.

Smash could make more money than Star Wars, and it'll do it with the cast of characters from your most recent LSD trip.
Lots of flaws here.

Firstly, 80% of Switch owners will not be buying Ultimate. Here's the percentages of copies of Smash to the total sales of its respective console:

64: 5.5mil games / 33mil consoles = 17%​
Melee: 7.4mil / 21.7mil = 27%​
Brawl: 13.3mil / 101.6mil = 13%​
For 3DS: 9.2mil / 73.5mil = 12%​
For Wii U: 5.3mil / 13.6mil = 39%​

None of the previous Smash games broke 40%, and only two of them broke 20%-- one of which was the only Smash to be released near the launch of the console, significantly boosting its lifetime sales due to lack of competition at release. To assume that this game will suddenly more than double the series's highest point and nearly quadruple its average is bonkers.

Secondly, you're assuming that they will make $60 on every sale. Also incorrect. This is assuming that every customer will pay $60 for the game and doesn't account for sales and eventual price drops, and it doesn't account for manufacturing and shipping costs, retailer cuts and other importing fees and taxes that get taken out of the final sale's total before entering Nintendo's pocket.

Lastly, your $960,000,000 figure in this hypothetical scenario would not be Nintendo's profit. Gross sales do not factor in the aforementioned costs of selling, but it also doesn't factor in the budget for the game's creation that needs to be subtracted as well. Salaries for the whole staff, marketing expenses, things like that.

Smash Bros. will undoubtedly make Nintendo money, and plenty of it. That's why they're banking on it as their big 2018 release. But it pales in comparison to Star Wars, since you brought that up, and even before that, it pales in comparison to Mario and Pokemon. Not a single Smash game has reached the top fifty highest selling games of all time, a list that includes Wii Fit, PUBG, Minecraft, every CoD since Modern Warfare, Terraria, Brain Age and ****ing Kinect Adventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom