• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You really think if they weren't gonna bring in every character, Lucario would still make it? Pichu definitely would have not for SURE
Maybe not Pichu, but Lucario for sure. It's one of the most popular Pokemon outside of Gen 1. It might've been a relevancy pick, but It's earned the right to stay.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
After all these deconfirmations (and assuming neither spirits nor assist trophies can be made playable), I'm still rooting for Porky, Andy, Elma, Bandana Dee, Sora, and Banjo & Kazooie. All in all, there are still quite a few popular picks left to be seen.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Dixie can still be DLC, right? As a semi-clone? I mean, Isabelle is kind of a semi-clone and she was not listed as an echo fighter herself.

Shroob

Sup?
You really think if they weren't gonna bring in every character, Lucario would still make it? Pichu definitely would have not for SURE
Depends on 'when' the Gen4 remakes come.

If the Gen 4 remakes are only like, a year old by the time the next Smash gets announced and cuts are confirmed, he'll still be advertisement for the Pokemon Company.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Something to keep in mind: DLC is going to be made and marketed to sell outside the base game, which is blatantly obvious. Base game has Ridley, K.Rool, Pichu, Simon... It's not going to have issues selling.

But DLC? That's going to go to popular picks, or picks that will sell well. Like... Something from... Minecraft. I hate this.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
My bets for DLC:

Dee
Sora/Geno
Banjo
Rex (Mii costume doesn't mean anything, calm down guys.)
????
Sakurai literally said Rex didn't make the roster because his game was announced after the project plan.
Any character that wasn't considered for the roster at the time the project plan was finalized (late 2015) is not getting in as DLC.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think MOST of us were, to be honest. A lot of them were probably just not saying anything.
Yeah I never felt a need to reiterate that I believed the box after arguing in favour of it a decent bit.

View attachment 174746
View attachment 174747
Tada folks, here’s a good look at that new emblem that Falcon has on the Blue Falcon. Hopefully something great comes out of this. UNKNOWN 2ND NINTENDO DIRECT HYPE!!!
Oh ****.
LM3 2.0: Mute City Boogaloo pls

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Maybe not Pichu, but Lucario for sure. It's one of the most popular Pokemon outside of Gen 1. It might've been a relevancy pick, but It's earned the right to stay.
Hm, idk. I think Lucario wouldn't have made it cause, heck, Mewtwo didn't make it In brawl and 4, squirtle and ivysaur didn't make it to 4 either. and I know those 3 are fan favorite characters

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well said, Noipoi!

Reminder that the Popular Pokémon aren't just the Generation I mons.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
The best thing about piranha plant is that any game Character (MAINLY game character) can get in, including Bubsy. Don't care what anyone says, it's my weird idea so heck u.

D

Deleted member

Something to keep in mind: DLC is going to be made and marketed to sell outside the base game, which is blatantly obvious. Base game has Ridley, K.Rool, Pichu, Simon... It's not going to have issues selling.

But DLC? That's going to go to popular picks, or picks that will sell well. Like... Something from... Minecraft. I hate this.
That benefits Crash and Sora’s chances too.

Sora is iconic enought to warrant many benefits, and Crash has transformed into a Money-making machine since N-Sane released.

Both would sell a lot of DLC.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After this Smash game is finally done, I think it's time for us old-timers pass on the baton to younger fans and let them decide who to support. No offense, but I feel like our personal nostalgia and childhoods of yesteryear are hogging the spotlight when it comes to characters. We convince newer fans to support the same old (and sometimes obscure) characters like Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, and Banjo, only to turn around and bash modern additions like Isabelle and Incineroar because "nobody wanted them".

We've had our time, but I think the new generation is ready to take over the Smash fanbase.

LuigiBros7

Smash Rookie
I've had enough time to think over the Direct now, and my main beef is that this game doesn't really seem to be Ultimate outside of the roster. Nearly every stage is brought back from a previous game, with the only adjustments being graphical upgrades for stages from 64 through Brawl. It seems like a ton of music is either straight rips or old remixes, even more than usual. Modes seem especially light, with seemingly everything gone but Adventure Mode, All-Star Mode, Spirits (which seems to be an Events replacement, which is fair), and the usual regular Smash modes. Adventure Mode could be cool, but it really does just seem like the Spirits battles but you walk around on a map between them. Equipment didn't seem to be especially well received in Smash 4, or even hated; it just didn't seem to invoke a reaction from anymore, so I don't know why they doubled down on them. Custom moves were also removed, even if you didn't like them, that's a notable cut. I can't say as to whether the online changes will be good or bad, it depends on how the matchmaking priority will work.

I'm not even really salty about the characters. The only characters I could really say I supported out of the Grinch leak were Geno and Banjo, and I'm not really dedicated to them. Snake coming back was the big highlight for me. Piranha Plant seems like a cool and wacky character, but my problem is that he feels out of place. In a game with so few newcomers, each one is going to stick out that much more. If Piranha Plant was a Smash 4 character, I doubt people would be nearly as incensed. But here, when he'll be the 7th newcomer, it stings a lot more. I think that's what people confused by the outrage need to understand. Honestly, it's made me decide not to go for the season pass. A $5 discount isn't worth the gamble of whatever bizarre choices Sakurai picks, so I'm voting with my wallet on that one.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I still have hopes for my boy crash as DLC. Can't say i'm very happy after Isaac got deconfirmed though

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He still has a good chance, he's insanely popular. Being a spirit doesn't deconfirm them from being a fighter, both K. Rool and Samus have spirits
What about Dixie Kong, as I said on the last page? I mean, she can be a semi-clone, like Isabelle, right?

99_Jydge

Smash Rookie
Sorry if this has already been discussed, and it probably has, but do you guys think Spirits deconfirm characters as DLC? They're the replacement for trophies so I would hope not.

KMDP

Smash Legend
PICK ONE for Square Enix DLC:

Crono
Sora
Geno
Dragon Quest Rep.
Final Fantasy Rep.
Lenneth
Take a look in my Signature, I think the answer will be clear.
If it isn't clear, I'd pick Tifa.

toonito

Smash Ace
Smash Ultimate DLC
Waddle Dee
Zubat
Byleth
Steve
Goku (not Kakarot)

you laugh now but Piranha Plant says otherwise (hardest i've laughed at a reveal, Sakurai hates Waluigi)

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Out of all the Pokemon that The Pokemon Company has tried pushing as a face Lucario is probably one of the most successful. I don’t know why people think he’s irrelevant.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Sorry if this has already been discussed, and it probably has, but do you guys think Spirits deconfirm characters as DLC? They're the replacement for trophies so I would hope not.
Mewtwo Smash 4 dlc and trophy.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Nah. Not only do playable characters have spirits as well, but Mewtwo and Lucas both had trophies last game and were still DLC.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
in terms of dlc speculation:

Bandana Waddle Dee seems to have surivived what was basically nintendo's thanos snap, i have a strong feeling he's in the dlc list and probably the last nintendo character.
Dragon Quest is the real answer so Erdrick will hopefully get in but it's probably sora as thats what the insiders seem to vouch for
No namco rep yet so either heihachi or lloyd/yuri will probably fit in here.
Rabbid Peach was seen so ubisoft content is there but no sign of rayman yet, if he survives the snap too he's likely in the dlc list too.
I hope to god sakurai sees the banjo hype and turns it around but this last slot is probably steve or monster hunter or something else.

I believe if a character is spirited they dead for good. The DLC list has probably already been chosen, hence why spring man and rex were cruelly cut from this world.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Okay, spirits themselves may seem like a disappointment compared to trophies, but I won't lie, Spirits mode itself really doesn't seem all that bad. It may be a lot like event match, but it looks like they have a lot of fun and cute ideas for it. That Owain Spirit match in which Chrom taunts at every possible opportunity, for instance, is a genius way to represent Owain without actually putting him in the game. It probably won't be my favorite mode ever but I expect to still have good fun with it.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Sakurai literally said Rex didn't make the roster because his game was announced after the project plan.
Any character that wasn't considered for the roster at the time the project plan was finalized (late 2015) is not getting in as DLC.
Sakurai also said they hadn't decided on characters for DLC yet.

I don't understand how the project plan is relevant for DLC picks. Mind explaining for me? Cause I'll admit I'm not totally sure but I'd think they're unrelated to each other if they haven't decided.

That is if we're taking Sakurai at his word.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom