• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Well, "Hat Goomba" arguments are finally dead. I am glad for Bandanna Waddle Dee fans. Have there been any signs of Bandanna Dee deconfirmed in any material?

D

Deleted member

lmao come one please knock it off with this. I'm not allowed to have a different opinion here? This game is an advanced port of smash 4 no matter how you slice it. And I know nintendo knows this, so the fact that the jump between smash 4 and smash ult is so underwhelming, you would think they would have used much-wanted characters like Geno and Shadow to buy this Smash 4 2.0 again to make it worth their money, but no, there's no reason for anyone who values their money to spend it on a game with 2-3 enjoyable newcomers.
You're allowed to have opinions, there's nothing wrong with that.

However, if you think this game's a port...yeah, I honestly don't know what to say.

74 fighters, 103 stages, an Adventure Mode, multiple new game modes for the core mode, 800 pieces of music, and a bunch more stuff with DLC on the way is not a port.

Also, just because you don't like the newcomers doesn't mean no one does, including Piranha Plant. I actually find Piranha Plant more interesting than Shadow and Geno, and I wanted Shadow a bunch.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm REALLY happy to hear that the new DLC characters aren't going to be echoes! 5 More unique characters?? Hell yeah!

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
lmao come one please knock it off with this. I'm not allowed to have a different opinion here? This game is an advanced port of smash 4 no matter how you slice it. And I know nintendo knows this, so the fact that the jump between smash 4 and smash ult is so underwhelming, you would think they would have used much-wanted characters like Geno and Shadow to buy this Smash 4 2.0 again to make it worth their money, but no, there's no reason for anyone who values their money to spend it on a game with 2-3 enjoyable newcomers.
You are allowed to have an opinion

Just don't call this game a port because you know it isn't one

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
The direct would have been better if it was better organized. They spent too long with Spirts mode without really explaining what it was.

I would have opened with the cgi cutscene, explained spirts mode and the sticker system, then do the online/items stuff and close out with the character reveals. I also would have cut the time down by about 10 minutes since it got boring in the middle.

Overall, the content was good. Online is a little worrying, but I bet a lot of people will be playing with For Glory rules.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just hope that DLC doesn't end at 5 characters total unless Sakurai wants it to (or, as I'll finally admit, real life gets in the way of that).

I really do hope for Seasons, because we're not getting another Smash for a long time, and waiting over 10 years for either no room for newcomers or massive cuts is painful.
I'm actually kinda suprised by the limited DLC but it's understandable. Sakurai is working on Smash almost non-stop for years now and he can't keep giving us characters (especially since a vocal part of this fanbase aren't going to appreciate them anyway).

D

Deleted member

If I seem a bit of a heavy downer, it's mainly because two of my most wanted are practically donezo and me feeling for fans such as Isaac and Shadow. But after some time, I'm quite fond of the stuff.

World of Light seems to be a culmination of a lot of stuff, and I SAW ****ING OLD SUBSPACE BOSSES RETURN. Not to mention, David Hayter himself said that he recorded new lines AND we have confirmed voice acting. I can't see this being the semi-Subspace Adventure mode. Good stuff.

The finalized Main Theme is hella good, too.

I think the problem is that you could easily find parts where the Direct could be cut down. Like, why do we need to know about Options and Menus? They easily could've re-arranged a lot of stuff.

Not to mention having these characters that have such a long history with Smash, such as Geno and Isaac just get deconfirmed, it definitely didn't help.

The game is looking to be fantastic, and I even found some pretty hype **** coming from Incineroar and KEN. An ECHO. You gotta admit, those fancy moves are great. The Direct, though? Very, very mediocre.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
You're allowed to have opinions, but opinions can be incorrect.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
Alright not even going to attempt to catch up with everything that's been said since my last post...

But since Veganburg was right about everything else, what does this mean for Minecraft and a Square Enix rep? Do we assume he was wrong on that, or assume both are DLC now?

With how good his information was before, I guess it's only fair to assume he's right and they are DLC, in which case, as much as I hold out hope for Geno fans, I side with DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon on this one, both Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts would be MUCH bigger and smarter to bring in as DLC, so you can count on Erdrick or Sora coming to a Switch near you. If the SE rep was base game I'd 100% bet on it being Geno, but as DLC only like a 5%.

And on the same line of thought, Banjo-Kazooie works more as a base-game pick than a DLC pick. Steve would legit make more sense from a marketing perspective to make Microsoft bank for paid DLC than an IP that's been dead as long as the bird and bear.

DLC speculation is going to be hella wild.

I've already fallen in love with Piranha Plant, if anything it means future titles could possibly include more 'generic enemy' characters. Instead of Bandana Dee, we might get a regular Waddle Dee that pulls from a wider skill pool, with the Bandana as an alt. We could see Twilight Princess Darknuts or Wind Waker Moblins someday. LITERAL Hat Goomba may get his chance another day. People thought we might be safe from a meme character this game, but we ended up with possibly the most bizarro pick in Smash history and I love Sakurai for it.

Counting Pokemon Trainer as 1, with 74 base game characters and 6 total add-on characters, we've got ourselves an 80-character roster. By god.

In the end, still legitimately shocked Shadow didn't get an upgrade, but regardless I'm beyond satisfied with the roster. 10 outta 10, 100 outta 100, best game, BESS GAME.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Corrin is your basis for a character getting hate, you must not have been around for :rob:.

The plant is coming close, it might usurp ROB's title as ultimate scapegoat. Pun unintended.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Look guys, all I'm saying is that Sora is from this point on the likeliest Square Enix DLC rep. Think about it.
  • Square Enix apparently has a stick up their ass and is practically impossible to work with. I think the reason Geno isn't in the game is because Square Enix won't let him be in the game. What do they have to benefit from including him over other, more relevant or popular characters that will sell more? Getting Cloud was likely hard enough (evidenced by one stage and two versions of one music track), and he's Square Enix's most popular character.
  • A Dragon Quest rep has too many companies to go through, including Toriyama and a second sponsor company alongside Square Enix. While it would sell gangbusters in Japan, it wouldn't sell as much in America and likely isn't worth the trouble.
  • Sora has to go through Square Enix, yes, but instead of legal **** it's a simple yes/no from Normura. At that point, they skip Square Enix and go straight to Disney, who handles how the IP is used in Smash. Disney has even said they're okay with it. They personally said that they would let him into the game if demand was there.
I'm sure it's hard to have a stick up your ass as much as Square Enix, and Disney has a completely different company philosophy as it's run in America (while I disagree with the racist way Liam Robertson said it, it is true that different cultures have different business practices). What does Disney love more than anything else?

Money.

And how do they make a lot of money? Including a character in Smash Bros. Especially if that character has a major release coming up, which Sora just so happens to have.

Sora being owned by Disney isn't a curse, it's a blessing.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
If I seem a bit of a heavy downer, it's mainly because two of my most wanted are practically donezo and me feeling for fans such as Isaac and Shadow. But after some time, I'm quite fond of the stuff.

World of Light seems to be a culmination of a lot of stuff, and I SAW ****ING OLD SUBSPACE BOSSES RETURN. Not to mention, David Hayter himself said that he recorded new lines AND we have confirmed voice acting. I can't see this being the semi-Subspace Adventure mode. Good stuff.

The finalized Main Theme is hella good, too.

I think the problem is that you could easily find parts where the Direct could be cut down. Like, why do we need to know about Options and Menus? They easily could've re-arranged a lot of stuff.

Not to mention having these characters that have such a long history with Smash, such as Geno and Isaac just get deconfirmed, it definitely didn't help.

The game is looking to be fantastic, and I even found some pretty hype **** coming from Incineroar and KEN. An ECHO. You gotta admit, those fancy moves are great. The Direct, though? Very, very mediocre.
I'm 100% fine with the direct content, but I agree, the spirits part was 15 minutes, and awkwardly cut to online, then rules.
Felt like it was put together really quickly, maybe it was planned to be on the 8th but the grinch """"leak"""" lit a fire under their asses?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I will give my full thoughts on the roster this Sunday. Please look forward to it. This was quite a direct and we learned many things. Lots of surprises as well.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What exactly does "yeet" mean? I think I have an idea through the few examples of context I have, but I'm still a little out-of-touch I guess.
So I tried to see if there was a definition for yeeted and got
yeet (third-person singular simple present yeets, present participle yeeting, simple past and past participle yeeted or (humorous) yote)
sooo imma go with the urbern dictionary and say
A verb used to describe a person or object getting emotionally or physically wrecked.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Look guys, all I'm saying is that Sora is from this point on the likeliest Square Enix DLC rep. Think about it.
  • Square Enix apparently has a stick up their *** and is practically impossible to work with. I think the reason Geno isn't in the game is because Square Enix won't let him be in the game. What do they have to benefit from including him over other, more relevant or popular characters that will sell more? Getting Cloud was likely hard enough (evidenced by one stage and two versions of one music track), and he's Square Enix's most popular character.
  • A Dragon Quest rep has too many companies to go through, including Toriyama and a second sponsor company alongside Square Enix. While it would sell gangbusters in Japan, it wouldn't sell as much in America.
  • Sora has to go through Square Enix, yes, but instead of legal **** it's a simple yes/no from Normura. At that point, they skip Square Enix and go straight to Disney, who handles how the IP is used in Smash. Disney has even said they're okay with it. They personally said that they would let him into the game if demand was there.
I'm sure it's hard to have a stick up your *** as much as Square Enix, and Disney has a completely different company philosophy as it's run in America (while I disagree with the racist way Liam Robertson said it, it is true that different cultures have different business practices). What does Disney love more than anything else?

Money.

And how do they make a lot of money? Including a character in Smash Bros. Especially if that character has a major release coming up, which Sora just so happens to have.

Probably.. Thats why I have Geno or Sora on my top 5.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Well, you certainly handled it better than some other people, I'll say that. It's fine, you and most other people saying they're not gonna get it will probably just buy the game later anyways. That's how these things usually play out.
Thanks. Didn't expect that from you, no offense haha. Yeah, Bandanna Dee will probably make me get the game. Piranha Plant destroys the goomba argument.

But for now, I just can't. :( 2/3 of my requests Thanos snapped. Oh well. Live and learn...

hanging on the edge of tomorrow...

bursts out sobbing

paper roxy

Smash Ace
  • Square Enix apparently has a stick up their *** and is practically impossible to work with. I think the reason Geno isn't in the game is because Square Enix won't let him be in the game. What do they have to benefit from including him over other, more relevant or popular characters that will sell more? Getting Cloud was likely hard enough (evidenced by one stage and two versions of one music track), and he's Square Enix's most popular character.
  • A Dragon Quest rep has too many companies to go through, including Toriyama and a second sponsor company alongside Square Enix. While it would sell gangbusters in Japan, it wouldn't sell as much in America and likely isn't worth the trouble.
I'm sure it's hard to have a stick up your *** as much as Square Enix, and Disney has a completely different company philosophy as it's run in America (while I disagree with the racist way Liam Robertson said it, it is true that different cultures have different business practices). What does Disney love more than anything else?

Money.

i dont think i see sora dlc being a better financial option than geno dlc but idk.

also the whole "square has a stick up their asses about their characters" narrative never really made sense to me. since they dont care about geno why would geno be harder to get than cloud? im also pretty sure a character made in conjunction with square and nintendo would be more likely than one with square and disney

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I've seen so many "Piranha Plant took Waluigi, Isaac, Geno, Banjo, etc's place" post that it's like....haven't we gone over this every smash game? There aren't "slots" characters are taking up.

People really out here thinking Sakurai sat at a table and said I must add exactly 6 unique newcomers, and one unique free dlc character. And then he went down the list and crossed off characters until he was left with Piranha Plant. Lmao that's not how it works.

Edit: also if I see another "Sakurai ****ed over the fans!" Like....were you not looking at the same game as me the last 6 months?

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
As much as I'd love Banjo, I seriously doubt he's going to be DLC. I feel really bad for all you Isaac and Skull Kid fans though. Those Assist Trophy reveals must sting :(

Geno might still have a shot for DLC though, as being a spirit doesn't necessarily mean that a character's deconfirmed (I saw a K Rool spirit in the direct).

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Rumour is that the people are in dire want of my Direct impressions (can't reveal my sources on that, though, don't want to betray that trust), so I suppose I'll chime in.

--I'm bad at critical analysis, and have a hard time formulating strong opinions. So I understand that the Direct was disappointing to many in terms of content and/or execution. Having the emotional range and capacity of a (piranha) plant, however, I tend to gauge things only in interest and disinterest when it comes to anticipating stuff. So it's not that the Direct was good or bad; it either had things that intrigued me or liked, and things I didn't care about.

--I already had like 8-9 fighters pre-Direct for me to sink my teeth into, from stalwarts to new blood, so I'm not lacking for characters. That's why Box Theory turning out correct, and some of my own wants getting deconfirmed (Skull Kid as Assist, primarily), didn't sting. I was one of those "icing on the cake" twerkmeisters in terms of my wants, especially after the August Direct. My most wanted picks in Sm4sh were Mewtwo/Ridley/K Rool, and now I have a game with all three in base.

--Piranha Plant is dope. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was so left-field that I couldn't help but smdh in respect. I like that it's a derpy goof, and seems like fun to play. Furthermore, the fact that it's a pre-order / Day 1 bonus, distinct from the 5 DLC slots, lends hope for upcoming additions (mainly Banjo-Kazooie for me, although with the other deconfirmations, I'll give some thought as to who else could have shot). I was considering putting in a pre-order; with PP as a pre-order bonus, I'm more incentivized to do so now.

What I'm most looking forward to with PP is Xander Mobus going, "And the Winner is: Piranha... Plant?".

--So Spirits is Brawl stickers, in the form of Smash Run stat upgrades, for use in Smash Tour/Event Match battles. And replacing collectable trophies to boot. Ha. I liked standard trophies, but understand they'd want to do away with them, as they invariably would have had to keep topping themselves unless they started cutting the collection. As for Spirits per se, I'm willing to give it a spin. Could be neat, could be whatever. At worst I'll just not play it if it ain't up to snuff.

--Gonna hold off on the Online until I get a sense of the experience from others. Haven't really played Smash games online due to poor connection and so on. As others have noted, certain aspects of the proposed online experience seem tenuous. I was hoping to use Smash Ultimate to get into proper online Smash play. This is probably the biggest point of concern from the Direct for me.

--Adventure Mode being Subspace-lite (i.e. sans levels, by the look of it) seems alright, by the way they pitched it. That cutscene was a legitimate enterprise. The sight of Master Hands descending at the command of a Chromatic Seraph had my tip aching for God. Hoping to see some variety in there beyond standard matches and the periodic Boss, like a smattering of levels and challenges.

--No mention of Stadium stuff, Stage Maker, Targets/Platforms, etc. Since this is the final pre-release Direct, I'm gonna presume these modes aren't in the game. A shame for some of them. I will say the All-Star redesign makes sense, as doing it linearly as in the old games would present a hefty time commitment to combat 70+ characters in a row. It would be kinda hilarious if All-Star was the fastest way to unlock everyone; one session and you spend five minutes getting "X Joins the Battle! X Joins the Battle!".

tl;dr PP is cool, AdventureSpace is cool, Spirits is a gamble, Online is iffy, gunning for BK.

Would also gladly serve as a punching bag with anyone who would have me, Online and so on permitting.

Yours ineffably,

Smooth Criminal

SneakDuckens

Smash Cadet
NNID
heiny13
Leak aside, I have to admit that it was pretty ****ing dirty to hide skull kid and shadow this whole time. Sakurai always seems to piss me off every hype cycle for one reason or another. Love the amount of characters and am stoked for the game. But god damn Papa Sak, stop being an asshole when it comes to how you reveal things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom