• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Here are my far too long unelicted thoughts on the Direct.

Edit: It's been brought to my attention that Skull Kid is an assist. I only watched the direct once so feel free to point out anything I missed.
-Vergeben is officially our most credible leaker for ultimate.
-The insiders were right not to trust the banner leak, but did they really have more info than the general public or did they just guess?
-I'd like to hear how the banner was faked, someone really did their homework in order to fabricate it. I was on TeamMaybe but still interested to hear the details.
-What's the deal with Papagenos' source?
-Isaac (AT)
-Shadow (AT)
-Black Knight (AT)
-Skull Kid (AT)
-A whole slew of characters we thought had a chance got deconfirmed as Spirits in Spirit mode. Some of the most notable were Shantae & Dixie.
-Rex (Mii Costume)
-Octolings (Mii Costume)
-many more.
(This is not an exhaustive list)
-Vergeben was right so we should probably expect SE and Minecraft.
-The way they structured the dlc it appears each character will come with a map and song(s).
-Sakurai said he wasn't talking about echos, so no echo dlc announced/planned (This could always change).
-Steve (Likely) > stage will be the overworld with random creeper spawns hazard > some music from minecraft
-Sora (Likely...GMA reveal?) > Twighlight town? Hollow Bastion? > Lots of music (plz Square!)
-Geno (Notably absent, questionable likelihood) > Forest Maze > Lots of SMRPG music (plz)
-Banjo&Kazooie (questionable likelihood) > idk much about BK > Lots of BK music
-Pyra (maybe) > never play Xenoblade > lots of music?
-Gen 8 Pokemon (doubtful) > new poke stadium? > More poke music
(These are mainly just guesses by me and not exhaustive).
-I find it weird they didn't deconfirm Geno (not even a Mii costume), they left the door open for him. I am biased, but I hope this means he is DLC.
-If the choice is between Sora & Geno, the choice is Sora hands down. Much more iconic and reaching with gamers as a whole. I love Geno, but I'd rather Sora get in over Geno.
-A SE rep seems even more likely now since Vergeben was right on basically everything. If there is more than one SE rep then I'd want Sora & Geno. Mallow would be a dark horse hype pick tho.
-I'd love for Skull Kid to get in. It was weird he wasn't deconfirmed either.
-Banjo&Kazooie has great move potential, so I'd be happy for them to make it in. Admittedly, it could be difficult dealing with Msft tho.
-Sakurai announced 5 DLC's (Excluding Petey) and gave it a very soft deadline of a year from release. This is less DLC than Sm4sh got. I hope he'll reconsider adding more characters when the 5 are finished. I hope this game is supported for at least 3 years (balance patches mainly, but more than the already announced 5 would be the cherry on top).
-How will they decide the 5 DLC chars? Or have they already decided? Will there be another ballot?
-Ken & Incineroar are pretty lackluster final reveals IMO (this seems to be the pattern with all final smash character reveals tho).
-Spirits mode seems complex
-Overall, I'm stoked to sink my teeth into this game for countless hours for years to come.

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Would you rather be forced to not play online if nobody is using the same ruleset?

Let's say you want to play "Omega Stages only, No Items, 2 Stock, No Time Limit" and nobody is playing that ruleset right now, so the game matches you to someone who wants to play "Omega Stages only, No Items, 3 Stock, No Time Limit" or "Omega Stages only, No Items, 2 Stock, 2 Minute Time Limit".

How is that a bad thing?
No, I get that. But I want also to be able to lock in a ruleset I absolutely do not want -> ex: items

This isn't actually bad for me because where I live there aren't THAT many players and I do not mind playing with items, but I think it's kinda short-sighted even if well-intentioned

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Sorry, but...
If a Doctor saves your life, will you not show him appreciation?
If a nurse treats you well, do you not show appreciation?
When a vet helps your pet when sick, do you not show appreciation?

We owe appreciation for a job well done. Don't be a prick.
Thing is, sakurai isn't a doctor, or a nurse, or a vet. Being a game dev is in no way similar to those professions. He is not saving lives, he is providing paid entertainment.
Doctors are needed for survival, sakurai, and smash is not.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I had to wait a few hours when this site is usable again, so...

1. Congratulations to Ken and Incineroar (and Piranha Plant???) fans.

2. This is one of the primary reasons I have my motto. My god, what a ****show that whole Grinch fiasco was...

3. I am glad I didn't follow through on that bet on Yoshi's FS being the Mega Eggdozer lol. I like the Stampede well enough, and I was glad that it wasn't just a cinematic Super Dragon. Not that I think it isn't cool, but it would've signaled to me that Sakurai didn't care enough about his source material to look into other avenues...

4. STILL NO YOSHI ASSIST TROPHY!!! GAH!!!

5. Spirits looks like something that will overwhelm me VERY quickly...

6. The Miis have separate slots for each of the 3 classes? Hmm...

7. Probably the most surprising thing I saw was the Ray MKIII costume. I thought that trademark wasn't renewed...

8. I'm not gonna lie, my heart kinda sank when I heard that DLC wasn't gonna feature Echoes...

9. PIRANHA PLANT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Oh, so there's gonna be demos that feature ALL fighters? Can I finally see my boi in action?!!!

11. Adventure mode looks cool, although the focus on Kirby being the hero AGAIN kinda left a sour taste in my mouth...

Hey, Zinith. Didn't I suggest the Melee Opening Stampede as Yoshi's Final Smash a few months ago?

I have a feeling that it was Sakurai's intention to have that as his Final Smash since at least Melee, but it wasn't technologically feasible until Ultimate.

Pakky

Smash Hero
-The insiders were right not to trust the banner leak, but did they really have more info than the general public or did they just guess?
-I'd like to hear how the banner was faked, someone really did their homework in order to fabricate it. I was on TeamMaybe but still interested to hear the details.
-Isaac (AT)
-Shadow (AT)
-Black Knight (AT)
-A whole slew of characters we thought had a chance got deconfirmed as Spirits in Spirit mode. Some of the most notable were Shantae & Dixie.
-Rex (Mii Costume)
-Octolings (Mii Costume)
-many more.
-The way they structured the dlc it appears each character will come with a map and song(s).
-Sakurai said he wasn't talking about echos, so no echo dlc announced/planned (This could always change).
-Steve (Likely) > stage will be the overworld with random creeper spawns hazard > some music from minecraft
-Sora (Likely...GMA reveal?) > Twighlight town? Hollow Bastion? > Lots of music (plz Square!)
-Geno (Notably absent, questionable likelihood) > Forest Maze > Lots of SMRPG music (plz)
-Skull Kid (Notably absent) > Termina Fields? > More Zelda music
-I find it weird they didn't deconfirm Geno (not even a Mii costume), they left the door open for him. I am biased, but I hope this means he is DLC.
-If the choice is between Sora & Geno, the choice is Sora hands down. Much more iconic and reaching with gamers as a whole. I love Geno, but I'd rather Sora get in over Geno.
-A SE rep seems even more likely now since Vergeben was right on basically everything. If there is more than one SE rep then I'd want Sora & Geno. Mallow would be a dark horse hype pick tho.
-Banjo&Kazooie has great move potential, so I'd be happy for them to make it in. Admittedly, it could be difficult dealing with Msft tho.
-Sakurai announced 5 DLC's (Excluding Petey) and gave it a very soft deadline of a year from release. This is less DLC than Sm4sh got. I hope he'll reconsider adding more characters when the 5 are finished. I hope this game is supported for at least 3 years (balance patches mainly, but more than the already announced 5 would be the cherry on top).
-How will they decide the 5 DLC chars? Or have they already decided? Will there be another ballot?
-Ken & Incineroar are pretty lackluster final reveals IMO (this seems to be the pattern with all final smash character reveals tho).
-Overall, I'm stoked to sink my teeth into this game for countless hours for years to come.

Skull kid is an AT

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
Also, can people please stop with the whole "We always get unexpected characters" argument? That doesn't work here. Not only was this game hyped as being pure fanservice, with all veterans returning due to high demand, but the ballot being looked to for newcomers as admitted by Sakurai with characters like K Rool, Ridley, and Simon. Even Isabelle might apply here. Then you have characters like Geno where Sakurai admits he wants him, and ATs like Shadow and SK being hidden all these months, while "coincidentally" having Knuckles and the moon revealed. And you expect people not feel bad about all this?

Can't believe the day would EVER come where I'd hate a character more than Corrinr. Like lol between Shadow and Skull kid being hidden all these months, and a enemy character being it's own unique fighter, I have never felt this off put by smash in my life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright, I'm curious:

What's the general consensus here on World of Light? I had a pretty negative reaction at first, but I'm coming around. Looking at this trailer a second time and paying more attention, I'm starting to think it's gonna be more than just events...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what will happen to Piranha Plant once the free offer expires. Will it be paid DLC afterwards?
This is what it says on Nintendo's site:
"Piranha Plant will also be available as paid DLC (separate from Fighters Pass content) at a later time."

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
How long is World of Light? I never have time for long adventure campaign modes because that other thing I do.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Im not buying the game

I dont have a switch

Get owned lmfaooooooooooo
I respect your decision good sir or ma'am. How you choose to spend your money is your own choice, and you shouldn't waste it on a game which you personally don't believe will interest you.

But may I ask why how we are supposed to "get owned" by this?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
lol. Nah, I don't think I will. There's nothing in this game to convince me to buy a switch for like 300, smash for 60, and DLC for 30. Even if that DLC ends up including Skull Kid and Geno. I don't care for the revamped stages or the revampd physics since I jjust play this stuff casually. Two newcomers and one echo isn't worth that much money.
Alright, see you online!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Ken looks WAY better than he does in SFV, Incineroar looks so fluffy, yet grouchy at the same time (technically my spirit Pokémon) and probably gonna be interesting to play as Piranha Plant, maybe we can get Audrey II as an echo in a future Smash game down the line. :4pacman: (If the next one isn’t an entire reboot)

B6188688-B416-4507-8F42-58D176911DAB.gif

osby

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, aside from fandom going from "Sakurai can put anyone and I'd thank him" to "**** YOU SAKURAI" disturbingly quick, can we point out that the content we got was generally pretty predictable from E3?

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
It won't be, but that's not because of some fan-fueled fallout.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Call of Duty are still things, and if you're arguing the "best selling on Switch," Smash has never even been the top selling game on any previous Nintendo console. There's a very strong possibility it'll be the best selling Smash game ever if it can top Brawl's lifetime of thirteen-and-a-half million. But keep in mind that Super Mario Odyssey has already sold over twelve million in its first year.

Smash Bros will meet and likely exceed expectations, but expectations for Smash will never be "sell better than Pokemon or Mario".
I mean, you have a point, but I've seen several people predicting the game is going to underperform.
Just because the last Direct was underwhelming, that's not going to kill the hype for Smash Bros. It's ****ing SMASH BROS. Even on the Wii U, a console that bombed, the game still sold like ****ing hotcakes.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I legit almost made that same joke but I was confused as to what exactly you were referring to because if you get Ultimate soonish, you just get the plant anyways. I was like afraid that Isuck, er I mean Isaac not showing up really upset you. I do recall seeing on the front page the title of the support thread was "Get Isaac or die trying" and I was thinking "what is this a cult?" LOL. I joke, but yeah I wish you could have gotten your wish, which was put back in with the likes of Ghirahim. :laugh:
HOLDER YOU NEVER UNDERSTAND ANY OF MY 50 CENT REFERENCES GOD

But no I'm not upset, it's been a couple days since I actually thought he was plausible. I'm just happy he's back. I am bummed he's in the same ranks at STINKY OLD GHIRAHIM though. :p :lick: :p

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Wait Geno IS AN ONLINE ICON. I KNOW IT HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE, BUT I CONFIRMED IT MYSELF

DID SAKURAI HINT US LIKE THAT? I FEEL LIKE GENO WOULD HAVE BEEN A VERY CLEAR SPIRIT IF IT WASN'T THE CASE

I'M STILL DREAMING
SO MUCH FOR NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP AGHHH

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Then it's also my decision not to financially support the decisions he and his team makes :)
And you, as a customer, should exercise that right. No one's obligating you to buy anything, and you should be smart with your money.

But no one's obligating you to come on here and ***** either.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Man I think Heihachi will be DLC lol. If Akira was in as a AT and Heihachi was not... there's nothing else I can expect.

I'm also fully expecting Geno as DLC and I don't care if he's a spirit. That doesn't mean a thing
Don't give me false hope man :(

But I do find it odd Tekken didn't get an assist trophy despite being a bigger franchise than Virtua Fighter

Untouch

Smash Master
Alright, I'm curious:

What's the general consensus here on World of Light? I had a pretty negative reaction at first, but I'm coming around. Looking at this trailer a second time and paying more attention, I'm starting to think it's gonna be more than just events...
I expected more, but it's a massive step up from Smash 4 so whatever.

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Anyone else feel like they would've been disappointed even if the grinch leak was real???

Spirits was a disappointment, but the story thing was neat. I hope its not just battles an walking through the map tho, I need some Subspace kinda stuff.
Online also disappointment, bunch of lame features are back no one asked for. No break the target, no new stages, just idk. Super underwhelming. Feels like a LOT of missed opportunities. At least gameplay wise it looks pretty good.

bountyhunta87

Smash Cadet
Wait Geno IS AN ONLINE ICON. I KNOW IT HAS BEEN SAID BEFORE, BUT I CONFIRMED IT MYSELF

DID SAKURAI HINT US LIKE THAT? I FEEL LIKE GENO WOULD HAVE BEEN A VERY CLEAR SPIRIT IF IT WASN'T THE CASE

I'M STILL DREAMING
Where did you see this if I may respectfully ask?

D

Deleted member

Thing is, sakurai isn't a doctor, or a nurse, or a vet. Being a game dev is in no way similar to those professions. He is not saving lives, he is providing paid entertainment.
Doctors are needed for survival, sakurai, and smash is not.
I added to it after posting. Basically, I feel like he went above and beyond everyone's expectations by working to get every veteran back; by striving to really cater to fans with people like K Rool and Ridley. He owed us nothing; he didnt have to listen to crap; its his game. But he did. He made a poll and put some of the most highly requested characters in and gave us back a lot of veterans that we were requesting when he didnt have to; its Smash Brothers; it would have sold regardless. For that reason, he deserves some accolades.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
-Isaac (AT)
-Shadow (AT)
-Black Knight (AT)
-Rex (Mii Costume)
-Octolings (Mii Costume)
-many more.
-Skull Kid (Notably absent) > Termina Fields? > More Zelda music
Skull Kid is confirmed an assist trophy, and Pyra and a Gen 8 Pokemon don't make the cutoff for DLC Season 1.

I would also say for SE it's Sora>Geno and for Microsoft it's Steve>Banjo & Kazooie. We've got to think about the fanbase at large instead of the small echo chamber we've got going here.

khfan93

Smash Cadet
So I think the revised online play system is much better than For Glory vs For Fun. It allows for play in between those two levels.

The Smash Community interested in serious play should establish a standard "preferred ruleset" for Smash. A standardized ruleset used by players taking the game seriously will increase the likelihood that you get matched with other players with the same philosophy.

D

Deleted member

Again, what do we have to be grateful for?
Do you expect customers to be grateful for what you do at your job, if you're working a job that has customers?
No, they are paying for the service. Its his job to make video games.
Stop treating sakurai like some god, if he wasn't making bank he'd **** off if its so hard. We owe nothing to this man.
Maybe we should be grateful for the fact that he brought back every character and added two of the most highly requested characters?

Nah, **** him. He would never poor his heart and soul into these games, or develop games even when he when develops calcific tendonitis near his right shoulder.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Trust me, no matter angry, sad, and/or disappointed that Isaac, Shadow, Banjo, Geno or whoever didn’t make it, I’m still getting this game.

I’m not even mad at Sakurai, he never promised anything or guaranteed that we were getting the leaked 7, heck Incineroar looks awesome because I never hated him and thought he would be a fun character even though I never requested him.

Who I’m actually pissed at is that damn leaker who’ve pulled this entire stunt and got everybody’s (including mine) hopes up into thinking they were getting their favorites and more than just Kencineroar and a near perfect roster, don’t be acting all high and mighty just because you knew you had doubts about it.

People had legitimate reasons to believe the Grinch leak, there were evidence and clues everywhere. It was easily the most convincing fake leak in Smash Bros history, and with the all company info and promotions and such. We had to risen our hopes up, everyone is back including two of the most requested characters of all time so what’s a few more fan-picks gonna hurt?
Excluding the echos it wasn’t gonna contradict Sakurai’s word being only 10 in total which is the lowest number of unique newcomers.

So I got one thing to say to you Grinch leaker:

Screw. You.

For going out of your way to make this extremely detailed leak just so people will get disappointed in the end instead of keeping their expections in check, I bet you’re laughing your a** off after this.

also people are apparently greedy and ungrateful for wanting actual characters they’ve been asking for decades instead of a mook lol

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Also, can people please stop with the whole "We always get unexpected characters" argument? That doesn't work here. Not only was this game hyped as being pure fanservice, with all veterans returning due to high demand, but the ballot being looked to for newcomers as admitted by Sakurai with characters like K Rool, Ridley, and Simon. Even Isabelle might apply here. Then you have characters like Geno where Sakurai admits he wants him, and ATs like Shadow and SK being hidden all these months, while "coincidentally" having Knuckles and the moon revealed. And you expect people not feel bad about all this?

Can't believe the day would EVER come where I'd hate a character more than Corrinr. Like lol between Shadow and Skull kid being hidden all these months, and a enemy character being it's own unique fighter, I have never felt this off put by smash in my life.
The official FB post said "the last Smash Direct before release" #DealWithIt #IncineroarIsHere

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
While this Direct wasn't as amazing as the August one, it was still enjoyable.
Although the Grinch supposed leak (which we know is now a hoax) was pretty hype worthy, I wasn't really confident in it. At some point it seemed pretty convincing but after thinking it I thought it could be a well-made fake, especially since the box hypothesis seemed to make too much sense to me. So you won't me see change my avatar to Bubsy and co.
Incineroar doesn't really have the kind of moveset I expected as I expected the special moves to be things other than what it actually has (besides Darkest Lariat of course). I was in particular surprised by the side special which seems to be something made up from scratch (not a Pokémon move). The down special seems interesting as it's a unique twist on the counter concept like Bayonetta.
Also friggin Piranha Plant AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. It's so hard to believe it's this game's Mewtwo. It's so absurd and unlike something like Wii Fit trainer who seemed WTF at their time but seems normal today because of the success of the Wii Fit series it will be hard to feel like this character's inclusion is justified besides the WTF factor... guess Sakurai saw moveset potential in it? Guess it's funny to have a joke character like that but I hope it won't be everything we get as DLC. Maybe I'll be able to support Tetrimino again without being kind of ashamed of it.
Also the World of Light trailer was amazing. Sad we don't seem to get a platformer adventure though.
So overall even though this Direct wasn't as awesome as the August one I can't be salty as the game overall seems amazing.

Also I don't know if anyone noticed (I skipped several pages) but Rabbid Peach appears as a Spirit (at 10:20). I'm glad Mario + Rabbids gets some representation as I loved that game but it makes me wonder, who owns the character? I doubt Nintendo has full rights on her so it may suggest a contract between Ubisoft and Sakurai which might bode well for a character from that company (Rayman please).

Last edited:

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
Questions: Besides Vergeben, why did all these insiders come out with info after the grinch leak after doing nothing for the longest time?
I love how Capt Falcon just got yeeted from his ship by the light
What exactly does "yeet" mean? I think I have an idea through the few examples of context I have, but I'm still a little out-of-touch I guess.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

Quite ironic in the Mario universe today. We get Daisy and PP and Waluigi is still an AT after 3 games. What's more ironic about this is this is Waluigi's duel partner from Mario Party 3

Waluigi to be forever buried confirmed

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Again, what do we have to be grateful for?
Do you expect customers to be grateful for what you do at your job, if you're working a job that has customers?
No, they are paying for the service. Its his job to make video games.
Stop treating sakurai like some god, if he wasn't making bank he'd **** off if its so hard. We owe nothing to this man.
Capture+_2018-07-06-23-33-36.png

But im treating him like a human. A human who had health problems because he was away making these smash games nonstop for you babies.

but ok, agree to disagree

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Though my opinion on Incineroar isn't necessarily perfect, it would skyrocket if it ends up having a German Suplex. That'd be all kinds of hilarious and awesome.

I WAS RIGHT.
The moment I saw this, my opinion of Incineroar really did skyrocket.

I think I might actually like Incineroar now.

The rest of his moveset is pretty cool too.

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
And you, as a customer, should exercise that right. No one's obligating you to buy anything, and you should be smart with your money.

But no one's obligating you to come on here and ***** either.
And no one is obligating you to chime in and police people's opinions. Adios! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom