• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Man Sonic slowing down to try and save Pikachu is so great to me for some reason.

It's nice to remember Sonic is more than just fast talking and lame jokes from time to time.
Sonic might have survived alongside Kirby had he not slowed down for Pikachu.

Good Hog.
The fact that Sonic and Pikachu were paired together is hilarious.
Screw you, Noipoi. :laugh:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I put Verg vs Grinch as a coinflip, but I actively dislike the guy. His mic-drop Isaac AT announcement was childish and mean to the point I thought he might be making it up to be spiteful. I don't owe him anything.

I don't hate insiders, I hate people who are ***** about it.
Paige's leak > Verge's leaks and Grinch leak

Last edited:

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
So who will the five DLC characters be? Place your bets everyone! I'd say we might get:
1. Sora
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Waluigi (yes I know he's already an Assist but this is Sakurai we're dealing with here)
4. Fire Emblem Three Houses rep
5. Gen 8 Pokemon rep
Same as this but I’d swap Waluigi for Rayman or Crash Bandicoot, and I’d say probably no new Pokemon.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
i think id be less upset about no geno if the mii "costumes" werent still "this characters body and a ****ing hat of their head"

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
You kidding right??? 75% of the spirits mechanics are gatcha filler that we won't be even looking at in a month. Sakurai saw the equipment from smash 4 that NOBODY liked and put stickers on them, but they are still random as ****, he put in farming mechanics and ****ty modes... Jeez, it's hard to be mad after such a cool final cutscene but the rest of the direct was such a downer...
Actually you can buy them and win them from Adventure mode or wanted posters in the Spirits mode. Gacha is just another way of getting them, much like the trophy machine in Melee

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
As someone who has literally never looked at trophies except to go "Why did they put these dumb trophies in? Who would spend more than 30 seconds viewing these?" Trophies being gone is a non factor for me. But I see that many of you really DO like viewing them, so my condolences! Maybe there'll be a similar analogue for viewing info with the spirits! :)

Mellowy Yellow

Smash Lord
So who will the five DLC characters be? Place your bets everyone! I'd say we might get:
1. Sora
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Waluigi (yes I know he's already an Assist but this is Sakurai we're dealing with here)
5. Gen 8 Pokemon rep
PLEASE for the love of god no more Pokemon or FE reps, im sick of them

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Hey kids were gonna bring back Wave Dashing and all that fun melee crap...

(6 months late)

Heres a bunch of glorified stickers that add a bunch of weird stats to throw the meta game into hell and also no For Glory

I mean i aint no competitive Smasher but i can imagine theyre not very happy today
Wavedashing was never even brought back int he first place, the competitive smash changes they made were directed towards Sm4sh competitive players if anything

Though removing For Glory certainly can't sit well

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I honestly don't get Sakurai's mentality on Echo Fighters.

Echo Fighters arr essentially as close as possible to their originators with very, very little gameplay difference (Richter to Simon)

which is why Isabelle isn't because she has enough differences in her moves...

just like Ken for that matter, but we'll call him an Echo Fighter...

Just...just...what?

JoshOmega

Smash Rookie
I am sad about Shadow :(. Still, gonna try and get my boy Phoenix Wright in if there is another Smash Ballot. Though I know it will probably be Banjo.
I know how you feel now. Skull kid is an assist trophy again as well. There went my hope of him being dlc

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Y'know, I'm starting to think one of the reasons the Smash Bros fanbase can be so toxic at times during the speculation cycle is because some of us are less concerned with who the revealed newcomers are and rather who they aren't. The main complaint for pretty much every controversial newcomer is always "why didn't they go with Geno/Banjo/Isaac/Bubsy/ET instead?" Normally there actually is a reason that they made that choice. We may not ever know that reason really is, or it may be something you may not agree with, but there is always some reason. Some of us get so caught up on specific characters that we end up narrow-minded.

It's perfectly fine to not want or even like Piranha Plant. I personally don't really care for Isabelle. But if you think no one wants Piranha Plant because you don't, you need to look around you. There's tons of people getting excited for Piranha Plant because we think he looks fun, creative and goofy. Again, you don't have to agree with that pick, but I don't think "no one asked for them" is a good reason to say a character shouldn't be in. Sakurai knows what he's doing.

And don't get me wrong, supporting characters is great! It took a while, but it even got us characters we thought impossible, like Ridley and K.Rool! If you want Geno or Banjo or whoever else in Smash, keep supporting them as much as you'd like. Just don't get so caught up on them specifically that you don't care about anyone else, because then you're not just setting yourself up for inevitable disappointment, you're closing yourself off to characters who you might actually enjoy or at least tolerate otherwise.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Trophies were already gacha so I don't see how this is any different.

And we'll have to disagree on the direct being a downer because I was hyped the whole time.
Trophies are 3d models with flavor text.
Spirits are .pngs that act as equipment.

Big difference, opinion depends on which you prefer.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So, I am super disappointed that the leak turned out to be false, because I really wanted Shadow, but I have to admit, Incineroar looks pretty dope. Do you guys think that the 5 packs will be the only DLC? Or with Nintendo's recent push to add content to it's older games do you think that there might be some surprises sprinkled in? Perhaps an Echo Fighter?
I don't think this is it for DLC. This literally contradicts what Nintendo said in their press conference. Smash is quite possibly their biggest DLC seller, no way this would be it (I think). But you never know.

TeamFlareZakk

Did they say how you unlock characters? Just through adventure mode?
Im just going to do the vs mode method with Stamina matches just like I did for Smash 4.. Just make a whole tournament of one punch koing a jobber over and over until everybody is unlocked.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At least you are not a Toad supporter. Its the darkest timeline for a supporter of that character is when a generic enemy, a spinoff exclusive character, and a character from a single game released over 20 years ago will all make it in before you. Especially considering the credentials to like three different versions to the character (Toad, Captain Toad, Toadette).
That's true... but for some reason most people never seemed too bothered about it.

You're not sure about getting Ultimate? You're talking crazy, N3ON! :crazy:
Of course I'm gonna get Ultimate, it's going to be the cause of more than a few "sick days" called in for. The quote was in the context of that new pot head plant that everyone seems so enamoured with. :p

Rhynox

Smash Rookie
Couple of my thoughts;

Was initially very dissapointed by the initial announcement of the 'final' fighters. I looove earth and plant based characters and was really looking forward to Isaac. I've always mained yoshi and wanted to main ivy though, so I'm happy that I have those at least. But when Piranha plant was announced, I was so happy. I think I prefer him over Isaac. I think the game has too many humans wielding weapons, it's pretty boring to me. But Piranha plant is so unique, and plant based which is my fave! And I hate it when everyone likes the same character as me so I'm a little glad to see it getting so much hate.

One thing I wish was touched on was Mii fighters. I would've liked confirmation of using them online! I feel like if they were useable online they'd be more lenient on their legality everywhere.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
It's very weird that Ken pose is so similar to the Grinch banner. Still, the main question is: "Why would a future version of the banner not contain Inceneroar?" This kills even the most positive person about it.
It's time to accept that we were trolled by the Grinch.
And also by Sakurai... who picked Piranha plant as a character... not even funny.

Last edited:

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Even though Rex might be out of the running, what if we get Lora with Jin as our Xenoblade 2 rep instead? That could happen.
Inkling must be deconfirmed cuz splatoon 2 is a costume.

the way i see it Assist Trophies = 99% Deconfirmed

Spirits = 50% Deconfirmed

And Mii Costumes = 1% Deconfirmed

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The number one first party dlc picks just got murdered. What now?
Reasonable first party picks:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee (Hat Goomba argument blown the **** out)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Chorus Kids/Rhythm Heaven Rep
That's it. Promotional picks aren't possible unless the game has been in development since 2015 (which Three Houses, New Pokemon, Dragalia Lost, etc. weren't if I recall correctly).

I feel like most of these characters are going to be third parties to bring the hype.
  • Sora
  • Steve
  • Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Joker
I feel like the above could be our five characters right there.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Anyone who liked the game going in but is thinking about not buying the game afterwards is a fool, especially if it's because you expected something, and that expectation was your main reason to buy the game.

Ultimate has 70+ characters and 100+ stages, and that's still not enough for some people.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I honestly don't get Sakurai's mentality on Echo Fighters.

Echo Fighters arr essentially as close as possible to their originators with very, very little gameplay difference (Richter to Simon)

which is why Isabelle isn't because she has enough differences in her moves...

just like Ken for that matter, but we'll call him an Echo Fighter...

Just...just...what?
Isabelle is almost entirely different from Villager, with only a handful of shared moves. Ken is almost entirely the same as Ryu, with only a handful of differences.

What I'm confused about is Doctor Mario though. I'm really starting to think that the only reason Doc isn't considered an echo is because he gets some sort of Melee veteran privilege. Or maybe he's been decloned even further and we just haven't seen it yet.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Trophies are 3d models with flavor text.
Spirits are .pngs that act as equipment.

Big difference, opinion depends on which you prefer.
Yes.
But they're both gacha-like systems.

So I don't get the point in complaining about Spirits being gacha when trophies were gacha too.

D

Deleted member 269706

Here's my take on it all: nothing about the grinch leak was special. And yet it was able to fool so many of you, so easily. Not because of it's presentation- far from it. Rather, it was due to the exploitation of immaturity, naivete, and greed within this community. Initially, I was blind to why the leak had gained so much traction, but in retrospect I realized whoever set it up knew what they were doing. They were well aware of how many of you were starving for more information. They were no stranger to the desires of the community. So what did he do? He played right into it. The leaker offered everything you wanted (Geno, Shadow, Banjo, and Isaac) and stripped you of every concern you warranted (Steve, for instance). And from there, the confirmation bias took over.

A blurry, faded, doctored image has never been enough to justify a leak.
An unreliable, unheard of source has never been enough.
Abstract links between companies and employees has never been enough.
Marina PLV disavowed everything and referred to it as "false information".
Verge, the one person who had anything close to an ounce of credibility in this ****storm spoke against it.

You didn't believe it because the evidence stacked up. You believed it because it you were greedy, and you wanted more.
There was no reason that this leak should've been the one that went so far off the walls. But it did because you let it. You wanted your little Geno. You couldn't wait to play as Shadow. Or maybe that wasn't you. Maybe you just fell for the hype. And you paid the price. Sakurai ONLY gave you 74 fighters, how disappointing! Let it be known, the disappointment you are experiencing is your fault and no one else's.

I must confess, I'm not thrilled about Piranha Plant myself-- but I do find a small pleasure in the insult he's added to injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just realised something...

If we're getting 11 Audio Tracks... does that mean we're finally going to get "Ashley's Theme Ver. 2" and "Sonic ~ You Can Do Anything" in the Western Release?

Be still my heart.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Pirahan plant - this is such an unfunny joke. A slap in the face to every smash fan. I'm not surprised it's free since they know no one would buy that thing. A whole character slot dedicated to a common enemy character? Over Shadow, Geno, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Toad, and so many other great characters, you choose this? And no, don't even begin to compare a mario plant to Rob or GW or WFT. All three of those were highly successful products that sold millions and/or put nintendo on the map.
I thought it was a hilarious joke and the more people I see responding like this the funnier it gets.

(Also, I think you made a mistake somewhere in your post. You listed Shadow and Geno as "Great characters". )

TeamFlareZakk

1. Sora
2. Banjo-Kazooie
5. Gen 8 Pokemon rep
Going with my top 5.

1. Medusa
2. Matthew
3. Elma
4. Geno or Sora
5. Chorus Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom