• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
I don't think they're gonna remove the option to get Piranha Plant, they'll just probably eventually charge you for it.
This is confirmed. Free if you buy and register your copy on your Nintendo account before 01.31.2019 and after will be paid DLC.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
The only solace is that I can finally stop pretending I have any respect for people who want Steve in the game.

skullkidfordlc

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why Sakurai saved so many deconfirmations for the last reveal.

-Isaac
-Shadow
-Geno (maybe)
-Skull Kid
-Spring Man
-Rex
-Black Knight

ALL deconfirmed in one direct. This is what spawns anti-hype.
Yes! All of these should have happened in the first or second direct at latest. They were just asking for trouble with the timing of all of this, tbh.

It feels like the goal was to start off with huge hype (initial announcement), give good hype with "Everyone is Here!", blow our minds with Ridley, be told not to expect much, then gives us a huge August blowout but leaves out crucial assist trophy deconfirmations that could have helped lower MANY fans expectations. Then they give us one anti-hype character after another back to back, with a long drought and tons of conflicting information.

Had they simply spaced this out better, the roster could look brilliant instead of heartbreaking.

Reveal:
Inklings

E3:
Daisy
Ridley

Initial character amount warning.

August direct:
Chrom
Dark Samus
Spirits mode
All assist trophies
No trophies
Ken
Incineroar

September direct:
Isabelle

October: Warning that there may only be a "couple" or "a few" characters left and that there wouldn't be any more info until November.

November direct:
Simon
Richter
All stages
Piranha Plant
King K Rool - FINAL
Spirits final cinematic
DLC reveal

(Hopefully) VGA DLC announcement:
Banjo, Geno, or Sora (Hopefully).

We'd be feeling a hell of a lot better right now...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Stay tuned for the first wave of dlc, featuring Bronto Burt, the castle lololo segment from the Gameboy Kirby stage and only that segment, and sounds of different birds and insects for the music.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Okay.
To geno fans,
I’d imagine people would b more receptive of pirahana plant if it weren’t a mario character. I’d imagine many people think “Seriosuly? Another Mario character?”.
I’d imagine I’m saying I’d imagine too much.
i was really upset that they did a reveal with the mario characters just for it to be pirannha plant. i wish sakurai would just deconfirm geno so i stop getting my hopes up

Pep1to

Smash Journeyman
I still worried about that damn balloon effect that still doesn't convince me. I was somehow hoping that the final build was going to be better, but it seems that it is the exact same balloon effect.

I am very scared that Ultimate will result in a "Hit & Run " game with no combo game what so ever when reaching 50 % damage and above. It doesn't seem to be able to combo out of grabs or even ****ing aerials.

What do you guys think?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This is confirmed. Free if you buy and register your copy on your Nintendo account before 01.31.2019 and after will be paid DLC.
I'm still on the fence about whether I'm gonna pick it up, but I don't really have the excuse of money this time, so chances are I'll eventually get peer pressured into it. :p

D

Deleted member

When even Scott himself says the Direct was underwhelming, you know you ****ed up.

D

Deleted member

This makes some sense but Two major flaws
One no Incineroar.
Two they proably wouldnt graveyard two characters as assists prominently in a direct only fo rthem to be DLC later.

(also no Sora, **** yall i want him now)
More major flaws than that, really.
1) No Incineroar
2) Ken's pose is wrong (he's doing Shoryuken; not a hi kick)
3) If the mural is including DLC, why wasn't Piranha Plant there?
4) Shadow is confirmed on Nintendo's site as an Assist Trophy
5) Issac was confirmed in the Direct as an Assist Trophy

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
This attack is based on the Putrid Piranha, which only ever appeared in the Paper Mario series. Therefore, Piranha Plant technically counts as a Mario RPG rep as well. It's the little things, I tell ya.
1541092194733.png

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Alright, DLC predictions: which five companies are getting a rep? Cos with limited DLC, seems like its gonna be a third-party extravaganza. Square Enix already has representation, but is apparently getting another rep (Sora?), Ubisoft has gotta get something after all this cozying up to Nintendo, Microsoft is likely getting something, Bethesda maybe (were those rumours substantiated) and ... I dunno, maybe another one of the companies that already has as a rep in Smash?

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Did we get overhyped cause of the grinch leak? Definitely. Is the number of new fighters and their selection a bit disappointing? Arguably. But I think it's important to take a look at something I argue matters a lot more than one or two, and that's the solo content.

• Classic mode appears to be a really good incarnation of itself.
  • Spirits mode is basically event matches taken up to 11, and it looks like an absolute blast to play.
  • While not an adventure mode in the sense we want, World of Light still has boss fights (and likely an associated boss rush mode) and looks like it'll make a fun campaign.
  • The, lets be real, rather ****ty modern all star mode was cannibalized by multi man smash, and multi man smash as a whole looks great.
  • Customs, minus the moves, are back for you to **** around with, and have a mode dedicated to making sure they feel relevant (spirits).
There are things missing, I won't pretend it's perfect, but it's got a **** ton of heart put into it, and from what I see it's a huge step above smash 4. There are some other modes I would have liked, but I also don't see a single mode I'm not excited to play here, and each one seems to have a ton of love and polish put in.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
When even Scott himself says the Direct was underwhelming, you know you ****ed up.

Yeah but its well established Nintendo does not care.

They don't end on hype reveals, they start with them.

They need to make sure those pre orders come as early as possible.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
yall should stop being ***** to people who are upset they didnt get a character they wanted in, just a suggestion

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Smash last reveals are never the most hype"

It's been ten years since Brawl guys, you should have accustomed to this by now.

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
Lots of people on the internet seem pretty upset. I'm glad my happiness doesn't depend on the outcome of a freaking video game.

Btw piranha plant looks way fun.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
*watching direct reactions.

*World of light trailer opens

Person goes:

"Is this the keyblade war?"

Someone really needs to edit the keyblade war dialog over this lol.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
yall should stop being ***** to people who are upset they didnt get a character they wanted in, just a suggestion
Y'all should stop saying things "wow this is a SLAP IN THE FACE OF SMASH FANS. IF YOU'RE ALRIGHT WITH THIS, YOU'RE THE PROBLEM" y'know

Salt goes both ways

and people were already hoping to be smug if the leak was right so I have no sympathy for those

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, :ultluigi: can't catch a break. He gets killed by death, has his Switch destroyed by Thwomp, and now Thwomp has followed him into Ultimate.

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate the irony of :ultsonic: getting killed at the start of the Adventure mode?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Welp, I guess it's time to do my Drawing that I promised.

Incineroar and Ken K.O'ing the Grinch while everyone boo at them since it seems to be the general reaction.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Y'all should stop saying things "wow this is a SLAP IN THE FACE OF SMASH FANS. IF YOU'RE ALRIGHT WITH THIS, YOU'RE THE PROBLEM" y'know

Salt goes both ways

and people were already hoping to be smug if the leak was right so I have no sympathy for those
at least you admit youre just as bad as them

D

Deleted member

Yeah but its well established Nintendo does not care.

They don't end on hype reveals, they start with them.

They need to make sure those pre orders come as early as possible.
There's a difference between Nintendo and Sakurai.

There's also a difference between making people happy and slapping your fans across the ****ing face.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The reason the last Smash reveals aren't as huge is because the heavy-hitters get revealed earlier so as to use them more prolifically in marketing.

The pattern persists because it makes sense financially, not just because.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Dlc predictions:
1. Lloyd Irving
2. Elma
3. Sora
4. BWD
5. Banjo & Kazooie
I think many of them will be used to promote future games.

- Sora (KH3)
- Banjo (N64 classic happening)
- Lloyd or Yoshimitsu/Heihachi (Tales of Vesperia HD or Soul Calibur 6/Tekken 7)
- Dante (DMC 5)
- Edelgard (Fire Emblem 3 Houses)

- Geno as a possible surprise 6th character (like PP is a surprise base/Free DLC fusion). Holding hope for him but i feel like SE and Sakurai will prioritize Kingdom hears since it's releasing soon.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
"Smash last reveals are never the most hype"

It's been ten years since Brawl guys, you should have accustomed to this by now.
I have so many "I told you so" posts of mine I could quote for so many things, and it's surprisingly hard not to just... do that. Repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom