• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Emily never said Isaac was an AT, just that Characters here were ATS.
Vergeben was the first one to drop the mic (literally with his gif) and the bomb by naming a character.
That’s what I heard. So I’m wondering if he just assumes Isaac has to be an assist trophy based on her saying multiple “Grinch characters” were ATs. Either way they all seem to be contradicting each other.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
What's all this talk of Celica? Did an 'insider' 'leak' her?

Lowkey would be fine with her, just wondering where it came from.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
>Direct is ongoing
>More ATs get a montage
>Isaac appears in it, throwing out the Psynergy Hand
>Someone knocks him out, as ATs can be now
>That fighter taunts
>Isaac drops down with the respawn invincibility and KOs that fighter back
>Taunts
>Splash Screen

>Chaos.

Troykv

Smash Master
Emily never said Isaac was an AT, just that Characters here were ATS.
Vergeben was the first one to drop the mic (literally with his gif) and the bomb by naming a character.
Emily talked about the Direct confirming more Assist Trophies? Well; that will be interesting.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The more I think about it, I think treehouse live is a bonus to Grinch leak. They didn't have it for the August direct. Why would they have it here unless there was more to go over than they had time for in the direct? And the only thing treehouse has ever shown for smash that wasn't already known was newcomer movesets. It's not evidence of anything but it definitely points to there being more characters.

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
While I don't expect a demo to come from the direct tomorrow, it could be possible to announce a demo that would be available sometime soon. We had a demo for smash 3ds a couple of weeks before the game launched so they may decide to continue the trend here. Tomorrow is going to be fun either way!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Where(or when) did the Dante for Smash fandom rise from?
Hey everyone, I'm feeling so hype. Just a couple more hours to go and all (or most) of our question will be answered. Leaks or no leaks, show pride and support for your most wanted characters to the end (politely of course) for tomorrow will be the greatest AT War ever to hit all Smash Fans.

Be happy for those who's characters are unscathed from the Melee, and welcomed into the Halls of Smash for fortune smiles fondly on the patient and the lucky, and be respectful, and supportive for those who's characters have fallen in the Brawl, and are AT'ed or lost to the void, for have we ourselves not felt the same pain as others in previous Smash games?

Everybody the time is soon upon us. For. One. Last. Time. List your top 5-10 picks and hope for the best. For those who happen to have all their most wanted characters, list characters that you wish others would get.
1. Amaterasu
2. Elma
3. Shantae
4. Sora
5. Rayman
6. Gardevoir
7. Valkyrie
8. Tetra
9. Fjorm
10. Fi

Honorable Mention: Blaze the Cat, Rex & Pyra, Saber, and Reimu.

[ QUOTE="Alastor017, post: 22634975, member: 405572"]Top 10 Smashboards Profile Pics:
#1: @P.Kat
#2: @Noipoi
#3: @Mehdow
#4: @MasterOfKnees
#5: @Idon
#6: @Opossum
#7: @osby
#8: @Venus of the Desert Bloom
#9: @CosmicQuark
#10: @NonSpecificGuy
Honorable Mentions: @Cristaran @KDMP Zinith Zinith
:)
Wow thanks :)[/QUOTE]

Regardless of chance?
  1. Captain Toad/Toad
  2. Tails
  3. Meowth
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Impa
  6. Bandana Waddle Dee
  7. Gooey
  8. Chibi-Robo
  9. Vaati
  10. Isaac
additional mentions: Toadette(echo/alt), Dillon, Waluigi, Lyn, Camilla and Tingle.

I'd be stunned if I got a single one, but the heart wants what it wants.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
So I had a weird idea. I got it thinking about Ditto and how a lot of the AT now have fuller move sets.

What if the Assist Trophy could also spawn any of the playable fighters on the roster in addition to the Assist Trophies. For example, if he's not a chosen fighter, Mario could show up and do a few moves, maybe end with his final smash, then poof out of existence.

If this was a thing, literally every fighter would also be an Assist Trophy. IT would been being an AT would not longer be a dis confirmation, and it would make most of the conflicting information provided by insiders suddenly not conflict any more. Specifically how we have those saying some fighters are assist trophies while others say they are playable characters.

Just a thought though.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I just wanna have Sora, Cloud and Geno as a trio, man.
Galaxy Brain here, and man of culture. I can only agree.

That’s what I heard. So I’m wondering if he just assumes Isaac has to be an assist trophy based on her saying multiple “Grinch characters” were ATs. Either way they all seem to be contradicting each other.
Lmao, literally no one contradict each others it's
All insiders : Characters wrong, Missing, and some of the banners characters being AT with Vergeben namedropping Isaac
Mystic: Geno/Isaac/Ken/Incineroar are in. But he even admited that he's probably totally wrong.
Grinch Leak: One grinchy boy steal christmas and show 7 characters

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Again, why would any of the insiders lie, Vergeben especially, if credibility/reputation is important for them, and there's more out there to leak than just Smash ultimate?
Wouldn't be shocked if this is his last "**** you" to Smash fans. Dude really hates them, and I doubt he intends to stay around leaking for them post-Ultimate.
He can ride on his career for other games as he leaks for other games if that makes sense.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I am glad to hear Shadow isn't the character from the leak insiders are saying is an AT. I do feel bad for Isaac fans though, but still plenty of hope for you guys as of right now. Speaking of that since I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, beware of this come tomorrow:
1541028870584.jpeg

Last edited:

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Now that we're on the eve of the direct, and we are aware that this is the final smash exclusive direct, I've become even less convinced of the Grinch leak as a concept.

Not because of the insiders or whatever, but because they haven't talked about Spirit mode at all up to this point and I doubt they're saving it for a non Smash specific direct.

8 new comers + Spirits mode in 40 minutes is madness

I mean Sakurai is pretty crazy but that's still madness

Maybe tomorrow we'll get a couple and the others will be revealed down the line in non Smash specific directs, but the number still seems insane for how much time they have left

EDIT: But hey I'd love to be wrong
It has already been calculated that if they stick to the average time a character trailer has, it would only take 12 minutes at most to reveal them all. Let's say they dedicate 10 minutes to Spirits mode, then another 10 minutes to other modes. That still leaves around 8 minutes to do whatever they want, like showing a quick montage of all Assists, showing off the final stages (assuming the 5 stage leak is real), giving out any special thanks, etc.

I think it could work, and I still think it is real. Eric's workplace still hasn't released a statement, it's been 6 days and the leak still doesn't have any hard proof it's fake, etc. But admittedly things are starting to get kinda crazy. The main things against the leak are:
  1. Vergeben saying Isaac is an Assist.
  2. Every insider and their mother claiming Incineroar is in but he isn't on the banner.
  3. The background changes in the leaked banner even though the real banner's background has never updated before.
  4. Would Sakurai and the dev team really be able to get in 7 more characters (3 of which are major) when they already said they are slowing down reveals and he already mentioned not to expect many newcomers?
We will have to wait and see. Like I mentioned I still think it is real, so here are some comments I want to make about each point above:
  1. The Golden Sun trademark (along with all other series' in the leak?) was renewed recently, it seems that there is a new GS item in the game, Isaac was an Assist in Brawl but his Assist was removed in Smash 4, he has been a very popular request since forever and he most likely placed highly in the Smash Ballot. Why would they bring him back as an Assist in Ultimate? Especially why would they wait so long to reveal him as an Assist? It would make more sense if he was just absent from the game as launch so they could do him as DLC. So is it possible that Vergeben had mistaken Matthew as an Assist, or maybe older Isaac is an Assist?
  2. Incineroar could potentially be DLC. A lot of insiders in Smash 4 pre-release claimed the ESRB leak was fake because Mewtwo and Lucas wasn't present, but they ended up being some of the first DLC for the game. This could maybe be the case with Incineroar especially since it took Vergeben so long to get a straight answer about which Gen 7 Pokemon was going to make it in, maybe it was just finalized not long before or something? He could also be a cut character or leak bait but I doubt it since how many insiders insist that he is in.
  3. The background is the most un-explainable thing against this leak to me. The background never seems to have changed before, and it doesn't seem that compression/motion blur/lighting, etc has anything to do with it looking different also. I've seen some speculation that maybe the final mural with all of the characters on it was made first and maybe the incomplete mural is actually the most updated ones, so maybe they just decided to update the background before they revealed the game and posted the mural. I don't know how I feel about that though. The other speculation I saw was maybe they changed the background just for advertisements that way the mural would look better or the specific banner that was being made, or to save money because it would cost less ink to print. This was already debunked by Artsi Omni and Vaanrose, and even if they didn't, it still wouldn't make sense.
  4. Sakurai could easily be throwing people off to surprise them.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
How many insiders exactly said Isaac was NOT an assist? All I can think of is Mystic.

But I’m more freaked out about Incineroar. I’m just hoping tomorrow will be his time...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I could see Verg's sources lying. Verg though? Nah. He actually cares too much about his credibility. It's too unbelievable.

He pulled that before and it hurt him a lot. He has no real reason to do it again. If he's wrong, it's likely his sources were lying or were wrong(Isaac being leak-bait as an AT actually would make sense).

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Again, why would any of the insiders lie, Vergeben especially, if credibility/reputation is important for them, and there's more out there to leak than just Smash ultimate?
The fact that some of the insiders are contradicting each other with Isaac already means that there's false information out in the air. Who's to say that's where the false information ends?

Potato_

Smash Lord
The more I think about it, I think treehouse live is a bonus to Grinch leak. They didn't have it for the August direct. Why would they have it here unless there was more to go over than they had time for in the direct? And the only thing treehouse has ever shown for smash that wasn't already known was newcomer movesets. It's not evidence of anything but it definitely points to there being more characters.
You have to remember that we have like no gameplay for Simon. Or Isabelle. Or even K.Rool other than that one video.

But I get your point.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
done with delta rune for now :gova:
wow

Anyway what are you guys up to

I'm guessing...
An insider probably said another thing and everyone's either like "INSIDERS ARE SATAN'S GRUNDLE" or "BE NICE TO EVERYONE PLS, ASSHOLES" or "please remember team hmmm.... we can't live without people remembering us"

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
What's all this talk of Celica? Did an 'insider' 'leak' her?

Lowkey would be fine with her, just wondering where it came from.
REALLY!?

I mean, Nintendo have partnered with Mercedes at one point, so I could see this happening. It could potentially play similarly to the Hornet Car, in Fighters Megamix on the Sega Saturn. :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I guess I'll roll out one more time with my hopes that have to yet be given any concrete cutdowns:

1 - Dixie Kong
2 - Isaac/Lloyd Irving
3 - Rhythm Heaven Rep (Karate Joe or Chorus Kids)
4 - Saki Amamiya
5 - Banjo-Kazooie
6 - Rayman
7 - Lip
8 - Prince Sable
9 - Sakura Kasugano

10 - Valkyrie

I kinda think Dixie's not gonna be shown probably, but I kind of hope the Grinch-leak's at least somewhere true...

Last edited:

paper roxy

Smash Ace
Hold up did he actually say "just yet" 'cause that...is important to me LOL
What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it’s because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn’t become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That’s right. He’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.
i feel kinda dumb. i guess i remembered the last parts of both statements from sakurai as him saying "this time", sorry for the confusion

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
With all the hints to Golden Sun we’ve seen and the possible item, and the fact that half of the insiders say he’s playable and the others are going with AT it really makes me wonder if some of their “sources” got confused and saw Matthew as an AT and assumed it was Isaac.

Matthew looks almost exactly like Isaac and if Isaac is playable we almost certainly will get a Golden Sun AT. And obviously we wouldn’t see that trophy until Isaac is revealed. So I feel like that’s a possibility.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I could see Verg's sources lying. Verg though? Nah. He actually cares too much about his credibility. It's too unbelievable.

He pulled that before and it hurt him a lot. He has no real reason to do it again. If he's wrong, it's likely his sources were lying or were wrong(Isaac being leak-bait as an AT actually would make sense).
i will say, verge has 100% edited his comments on reddit before to make himself right when something came out, i think it was for dragonball fighterz, i vividly remember it happening too lol

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
The fact that some of the insiders are contradicting each other with Isaac already means that there's false information out in the air. Who's to say that's where the false information ends?
False info is one thing, bad sources, guessing, early info, that's all possible of course

But suggesting any of the insiders would deliberately lie about what they know, as in they know something and lie about it, is just stupid. They are self destructing by doing that

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That just means the company gave out false information. It doesn't mean anyone is intentionally lying at all. So that doesn't really hurt Verg's credibility, really. He's only saying it's true if he believes in something.

i will say, verge has 100% edited his comments on reddit before to make himself right when something came out, i think it was for dragonball fighterz, i vividly remember it happening too lol
He has done nothing of the sort for Ultimate. That's the key thing here. He's kept true to his word and never released information as "this is happening" unless he is 100% sure of it. So his track record for Ultimate is very credible. For other games? Yeah, he acted like a fool during those.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
With all the hints to Golden Sun we’ve seen and the possible item, and the fact that half of the insiders say he’s playable and the others are going with AT it really makes me wonder if some of their “sources” got confused and saw Matthew as an AT and assumed it was Isaac.

Matthew looks almost exactly like Isaac and if Isaac is playable we almost certainly will get a Golden Sun AT. And obviously we wouldn’t see that trophy until Isaac is revealed. So I feel like that’s a possibility.
That's a really weird case imo as if they played a build with Matthew in it as an AT one would think Isaac would be playable

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Remember those inconsistencies in the GameXplain video, mainly the ones about Shadow and Geno being in and then saying they would not be in or be an assist trophy (if I recall correctly)? I just thought of another reason why they they are inconsistent, which is that I am sure Nintendo or Sakurai planned the final roster when this game started to be made, and given how hard and how long it takes to make a single character, I doubt they would change those characters from an character to not being in the game or an assist and vice versa. I mean, it takes a lot of work to make those characters. I am sure it would be just as hard to change them into something else other than playable characters. Plus, this game was being made for a few years now, since 2015, or 2016, and insiders like GameXplain got knowledge of the game, whether or not before this game was revealed in March, during this year rather than either 2015 or 2016, and even if they did, I think it is unlikely they would know the characters from early in that development phase. I am sure Nintendo and Sakurai would have been so secretive, then. But yeah, I doubt they'd change those like Shadow and Geno to being playable from not being in or an assist or vice versa, which shows how inconsistent these guys are being.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom