• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Possibly, although the fighting in Undertale and the fighting in Smash are different. No one dies in Smash; you just get KO'd. But in Undertale, it's actual life and death. I think Sans would be down with knocking some fools around in what's an actual sport in the Smash world (as seen in SSE).

More importantly, I'm pretty sure if Toby Fox was approached by Nintendo asking if they could include Undertale stuff in Smash for any reason, I doubt Toby would turn them down.
Um... have you forgotten how lazy Sans is? He'd probably rather snooze than play sports.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I'm not putting any stock in these insiders from here on out.

Namco purposely spreading misinformation alone makes the entire scene inherently untrustworthy.
That's fine, as long as you also don't put any stock in leaks, which are fake almost all of the time.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Or this is the only time he was confident in it. He did choose the timing, sure, but it doesn't mean he's lying either. He believes in it.

Of course, him being fed bad information is pretty normal these days. He made it his business to work harder on being sure of his sources. And he's sure Isaac is an AT. It's quite possible he only bothered to give this information now because it's actually relevant to what people are discussing. Does it seem spiteful? Sure. I get that. But it's silly to believe he's lying.
Um...

Sorry, but, I have to disagree with this. Him being "sure of his sources" isn't actually relevant to whether or not he's lying about Isaac's role (or lack thereof) in the game.

After months of being harassed and bullied (and knowing the type of person Vergeben is), I'm sure he would want to get back at the users of GameFAQs for the **** they've given him since July.

Saying Isaac is an AT, along with Banjo and Geno, would operate to hurt the most because those three are the most popular and looked forward to of all the remaining characters. But he can't say Banjo or Geno, because then one could argue "that's stupid, what's the point of even getting them if you're just going to make them an AT?", but Isaac... Isaac has historically been an AT, it's believable that they'd do so again (though they'd have almost certainly revealed him in July or August were that the case).

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Also can we remember that Sakurai specifically said in the K. Rool/Simon direct column that he went off the ballot for newcomers?

I doubt that Chrom, Dark Samus, Ridley, Isabelle, Daisy, and Richter did amazingly. Chrom and Dark Samus he mentioned as popular, Ridley he's been trying to fit in the roster for a while now, Isabelle is the face of Animal Crossing, Daisy is likely the same boat as Chrom/Dark Samus, and Richter is just more popular in Japan than Simon.

Pretty sure the only notable placers we got so far are K. Rool, Simon, and Inklings. I doubt those were the only ones he chose off the ballot.

Which leads me to believing Grinch far more than insiders. I doubt he'd take a look at Geno + Isaac going "Wow! These guys sure are popular, they'll want them as Assists I bet!" Straight up a ridiculous notion at this point lol
I voted for Ridley despite him being a boss, I'm sure tons of others did too.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So, what would be your reaction if tomorrow we got Incineroar, Ken, Celica, and Dante? Sora is revealed at the VGAs as either base roster or DLC releasing shortly after the game releases.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
So I'm probably going to miss page 6969 either sleeping or working (depending on how quickly the thread moves). Just remember, if I don't make it, I'll be with you all in spirit. Do a 'nice' for me.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
I don't really have much to say, except. Hype for tomorrow.

But I just wanted to do my part to get us to 6969

Let's do this!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A 40 minute advertisement—like a TV episode. Last one was over two months ago and had one hell of a cliffhanger.
No, you're right. But I still wouldn't lose sleep over it. I get anxious and distracted in the days leading up to the actual release. Directs are just fun.

No matter what is or isn't shown tomorrow, we're still not getting the game until 38 days afterward.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Um...

Sorry, but, I have to disagree with this. Him being "sure of his sources" isn't actually relevant to whether or not he's lying about Isaac's role (or lack thereof) in the game.

After months of being harassed and bullied (and knowing the type of person Vergeben is), I'm sure he would want to get back at the users of GameFAQs for the **** they've given him since July.

Saying Isaac is an AT, along with Banjo and Geno, would operate to hurt the most because those three are the most popular and looked forward to of all the remaining characters. But he can't say Banjo or Geno, because then one could argue "that's stupid, what's the point of even getting them if you're just going to make them an AT?", but Isaac... Isaac has historically been an AT, it's believable that they'd do so again (though they'd almost certainly had revealed him in July or August were that the case).

Just my two cents.
Vergeben's likely status:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If I had to predict who the Big 5 were in terms of popularity and demand this is the order I'd imagine.

1. King K. Rool
2. Ridley
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Geno
5. Isaac

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
So, what would be your reaction if tomorrow we got Incineroar, Ken, Celica, and Dante? Sora is revealed at the VGAs as either base roster or DLC releasing shortly after the game releases.
Incineroar: zzzzz
Ken: zzzzzz and some rabid screaming about Shadow not making it
Celica: cool cause Echoes is my favourite FE but also ugh
Dante: right now heck no, unless he can sell me on his playstyle I'm gonna start thinking there's some Capcom bias going on
Sora: UGH

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I actually could see Sakurai putting Geno as the last reveal, since he's always wanted to put him in, and it would be a nice final personal touch to his series. (before dlc)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I actually could see Sakurai putting Geno as the last reveal, since he's always wanted to put him in, and it would be a nice final personal touch to his series. (before dlc)
I could see him being second last but my gut tells me if Banjo is in he'd be last.

shadowjosh

Smash Apprentice
I'm going all in on Yarn Kirby getting in out of nowhere, remember you heard it from me.

Also Shadow and Geno, but who cares about those unhype characters?

D

Deleted member

I’d be kinda dissapointed in all of them except Dante, but get over it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Um...

Saying Isaac is an AT, along with Banjo and Geno, would operate to hurt the most because those three are the most popular and looked forward to of all the remaining characters. But he can't say Banjo or Geno, because then one could argue "that's stupid, what's the point of even getting them if you're just going to make them an AT?", but Isaac... Isaac has historically been an AT, it's believable that they'd do so again (though they'd have almost certainly revealed him in July or August were that the case).

Just my two cents.
He only said Isaac is an AT.

Where are people getting he absolutely said those others are AT's? He never said Geno was in either. He said a SE character is in, but they may be DLC.

This sounds more like putting words in his mouth. I could care less about him being a bit of a jerk. It doesn't change how he's leaking the information. It's a giant assumption he's lying just to get back at people. I highly doubt that. He already gained a ton of credibility from Smash Ultimate alone. There is no good reason for him to throw it away by lying. People can dislike his behavior all they want, and that's understandable to dislike him as a person.

Doesn't make him a liar or change he's extremely credible with Smash Ultimate. So I'm calling bull**** on him lying. Need a better reason than that.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Literally the only Character I want is Shadow.
Here I come, faster than the rest of them
The best of them, edgier than ever
You can call me Shadow, unlike Sonic I'm not shallow
Oh! Rub that burn with aloe

Chaos Control, my fate is foretold
I shoot 'em all down then I **** and reload

Unlike the rest I'm the ultimate life form
Bet the farm, firearms, settin' off alarms

Born in a test tube in the heavens
My memory of Maria guides me

My duty is to be an edge lord
Where's my Smash invitation?

I'm just a "dark Sonic", guess that's true
But ****in' Dark Pit's in here too

Wrote it in another thread for fun. Felt apt to copy and paste.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
What exact date did Spawn Wave tease the Sora at VGA Awards deal? I think I put Sora in my DLC prediction early around September 22, based on when I posted my first DLC prediction image on imgur for my Smashboards signature. Just want to make sure I predicted prior to the Spawn Wave event.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still think its possible Verge and other insiders may had mistaken Matthew for Isaac. They do after all look alike considering he's Isaac's son.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
dear god. I'd be the most relaxed and zen man on Earth if Geno was just revealed right away at the start. The next 40 minutes would just be comfy cherries atop my satisfaction.
literally. as soon as geno is revealed nothing can ruin my hype for this game, even if sakurai announced he was gonna kill every other person who bought ultimate or something like that

Fane

Smash Journeyman
No, I agree with Banjo being last. He leave the biggest "OMG" effect once the direct was over. Isaac makes sense as an opener.
I have a feeling it'd go something like:

Isaac > Geno > Shadow/Ken > Mach Rider > Chorus Kids > Banjo Kazooie.

Starts off with Isaac's reveal as a "Get ready, this may be the last direct, but it's a great one!" (~2 minutes)

Immediately following, Geno gets revealed to FURTHER emphasize this. (~2 minutes)

Then Sakurai explains a bit about the two and how they placed very highly on the ballot(~3 minutes), moves onto the rest of the Assists, Items, and Pokemon. (~4 minutes) Then reveals the final bit of Final Smashes, ending off with Peach/Daisy(~2 minutes)... allowing him to move RIGHT on to Shadow/Ken as new echoes.(~2 minutes)

After those two are revealed as the final Echo Fighters, Sakurai mentions something about them being 'classics', and goes on to say something like "Speaking of classics..." and Mach Rider is revealed. Touches on how he likes to revisit classics and give them a fighting chance, and how he chose Mach Rider as the Retro/Classic pick.(~3 minutes)

Goes on to new stuff like modes(~3 minutes), stages(~2 minutes), online(~4 minutes), etc... Then to fit in brings out one of the new fighters in Chorus Kids, detailing how they were cut in Smash 4, but due to demand he decided to make them playable in Ultimate, similarly to Chrom.

Then he goes on with "Speaking of new... I suppose it's time to discuss the hidden mode we teased in August." Reveals Spirits mode, details what the goal is, what it entails, and how important it is to the game.(~5 minutes)

After this he says something along the lines of "Now, for the final newcomer in Ultimate." Banjo & Kazooie is revealed. Back to Sakurai, and he goes in depth on him far more than the other reveals. After he finishes with Banjo, he starts to wrap things up...(~4 minutes)

THEN we get a DLC tease for the finale.(~Minute and a half)

Total time = 39 1/2 minutes.

Well, guess that's my prediction for the Direct if Grinch is real, lol.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
No, you're right. But I still wouldn't lose sleep over it. I get anxious and distracted in the days leading up to the actual release. Directs are just fun.

No matter what is or isn't shown tomorrow, we're still not getting the game until 38 days afterward.
Oh, same, I'm not anxious at all (well, okay, if it wasn't for the banner, I'd be less anxious). Once the Direct was announced I no longer had any tension--because now I know... when I'll know... what is to know about the game. It's the uncertainty that creates anxiety for me, but with that coming to a close, I'm just simply excited now (and hopeful, and cautious, and slightly worried, but in an accepting way).

KMDP

Smash Legend
If I had to predict who the Big 5 were in terms of popularity and demand this is the order I'd imagine.

1. King K. Rool
2. Ridley
3. Banjo-Kazooie
4. Geno
5. Isaac
This is about the order I'd expect, though I'd put Geno in 5th Place.
He only said Isaac is an AT.

Where are people getting he absolutely said those others are AT's? He never said Geno was in either. He said a SE character is in, but they may be DLC.

This sounds more like putting words in his mouth. I could care less about him being a bit of a jerk. It doesn't change how he's leaking the information. It's a giant assumption he's lying just to get back at people. I highly doubt that. He already gained a ton of credibility from Smash Ultimate alone. There is no good reason for him to throw it away by lying. People can dislike his behavior all they want, and that's understandable to dislike him as a person.

Doesn't make him a liar or change he's extremely credible with Smash Ultimate. So I'm calling bull**** on him lying. Need a better reason than that.
I never said Vergeben said Geno or Banjo were Assist Trophies, what I said was that saying that would hurt, but it also wouldn't make any sense.

As for why he would say such a thing, maybe after constant harassment from all corners, Verg is washing his hands of the whole Insider business.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Celica but no Geno? I thought he was also part of that leak. Unless this is purely your own hypothetical, then:

Incineroar and Celica I don't really care about.

Ken and Dante would be hype as ****.

Sora would be cool but I'm not attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom