• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Honestly, comparing Incinoroar and Ken to Shulk or Olimar don't really fit in my opnion.

1) Both Shulk and Olimar were from franchises not in Smash.
2) Brawl and Smash 4 had newcomers that were unannounced until after the games release. Ultimate is supposed to have all of the fighters revealed before release. So why not save a big shocker fan favorite like K Rool for last reveal instead of a new Pokemon (which most people were excepting) and Ken (who after Richter I feel like everybody was expecting).

paper roxy

Smash Ace
I'm not saying he wouldn't, I'm saying there's no precedent. Sakurai isn't the marketing team. I'm sure he gets final say on almost everything, but Nintendo's marketing team most likely decides things like Direct dates and when to send out certain information, and from a marketer's perspective, it's typically a very dumb idea to save your ace in the hole for a mere month before the game releases. This speculation cycle is different from previous ones, though, because we didn't even know about the game until six months before release, so they could be doing things differently than in games past.

Regarding Shulk, I'm aware that people who knew what Xenoblade was were excited he was in. People were also excited for Pikmin representation. But I'm comparing Shulk's reveal to goddamn Mega Man, or Pac-Man, or the Animal Crossing Villager, who had easily one of the biggest fanbases in the build up to Smash 4. Any way you slice it, they weren't saving the very best for the very last.
i mean, megaman returning was in no way beatable by any reveal ever (other than maybe k rool) because of how little significance he's had recently and how shaky everything was with him

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I'd have this opinion too, especially with how much Toby likes to make jokes and play around with fans.

But with Shovel Knight in as an AT I don't think Undertale content is an impossibility. Granted Yacht Club is already very close with Nintendo, more so than Toby for sure, but Toby and Nintendo have also had their positive interactions in the past.

I wouldn't be too shocked if it happened is all I'm saying.
The difference is that, from what I've seen, Undertale has a much bigger fanbase in Japan. It's part of the reason the game was ported to PS4 last year; PC gaming is almost nonexistent in Japan. So by porting it to PS4, it gets out to the Japanese demographic much more solidly.

But the game only came out in late 2015, right before the project plan for Ultimate was completed, so I don't think there'd be anything substantial. Definitely not a character, but it could be something in Spirits.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Sakurai/Nintendo: Hey insiders, here is information about Incineroar being playable.
Insiders: Hey, thanks! *takes it and leaves*
Sakurai/Nintendo: *smirks* Heh heh, suckers.

That is what I am imagining right there.
What I'm imagining is much more heartbreaking for Incineroar fans.

"Hey, we need a fake character to throw the scent off our actual roster. Who's a character people know but don't want that much?"
"How about that one red fighter who uses fire that only a handful of people have asked for?"
"Oh! Incineroar! Perfect."
"...I was talking about Ken from Street Fighter. The hell's an Incineroar?"

Bee Card

Smash Ace
So with Spirits being revealed tomorrow. Who you guys hoping for bosses?

For me its

-Deathborn
-Dr. Eggman
-Exor
-General Scales w/ King RedEye
-Hades
-Kanden, Noxus, Spire, Sylux, Trace and Weavel
-King Boo
-Marx
-Metal Gear REX
-Necrozama
I don't think they will be all revealed tomorrow but in the game I think of :
-Skull Kid
-Dr. Wily
-Dr. Robotnik
-Dictator (Street Fighter)
-Petey Piranha
-King K. Rool (the end of his trailer where he get bigger like in the original DKC make me think of this)
-The Cloud with an eye and some pike from Kirby (idk his name)
-Black Knight from FE
-Medusa from Kid Icarus
-a Metal Gear
-a Monster from Pikmin
-King Boo
-a Punch Out fighter (like King Hippo or another)
-a (an?) Hinox from BotW
-The T-Rex from Mario Odyssey (or another boss)
-and as a final boss : bigger ridley :troll:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Considering how much the game is against actual fighting, I could see Trophies being the most logical option outside of music. For IP holders, wanting their content represented a specific way is pretty important. And respectable. It's their content. They have a right to care how it's done.

Not that all do(ZUN more or less doesn't care about how Touhou is done, as long as it isn't used for money. Fanworks, art, etc.)
The difference is that, from what I've seen, Undertale has a much bigger fanbase in Japan. It's part of the reason the game was ported to PS4 last year; PC gaming is almost nonexistent in Japan. So by porting it to PS4, it gets out to the Japanese demographic much more solidly.

But the game only came out in late 2015, right before the project plan for Ultimate was completed, so I don't think there'd be anything substantial. Definitely not a character, but it could be something in Spirits.
Music was actually what I was expecting the most should we get content. At most I'd say a Sans assist trophy purely due to the popularity of the character.

But it's true, Toby would have to be on board with the idea for it to go anywhere. And there's a good chance with the game's core selling point being "You don't have to kill anyone!" that he could see Sans fighting as a contradiction of that.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

"Hey, we need a fake character to throw the scent off our actual roster. Who's a character people know but don't want that much?"
"How about that one red fighter who uses fire that only a handful of people have asked for?"
LOL That IS even better than mine!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So with Spirits being revealed tomorrow. Who you guys hoping for bosses?

For me its

-Deathborn
-Dr. Eggman
-Exor
-General Scales w/ King RedEye
-Hades
-Kanden, Noxus, Spire, Sylux, Trace and Weavel
-King Boo
-Marx
-Metal Gear REX
-Necrozama
Raphael the Raven
Naval Piranha
Burt the Bashful
Yoob

Lots of variety :yoshi:

paper roxy

Smash Ace

pfft, this got a good laugh out of me

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Give me Medeus or Duma as a Spirits boss, please.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I would love it if Ken was the leak bait. Not because I dislike Ken or anything, but just because that means Sakurai/Nintendo had fooled all of the Insiders and leakers.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Music was actually what I was expecting the most should we get content. At most I'd say a Sans assist trophy purely due to the popularity of the character.

But it's true, Toby would have to be on board with the idea for it to go anywhere. And there's a good chance with the game's core selling point being "You don't have to fight anyone!" that he could see Sans fighting as a contradiction of that.
Easy, bring u8ndyne, the best character of undertale, is not like she have problems fighting :p

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

But it's true, Toby would have to be on board with the idea for it to go anywhere. And there's a good chance with the game's core selling point being "You don't have to fight anyone!" that he could see Sans fighting as a contradiction of that.
The game's selling point is "You don't have to kill anyone". The game has plenty of mandatory fights.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's hoping we get Incineroar tomorrow. One, because I think he's neat, and two, because of the karmic retribution that'll take place when we get fan art of him mauling the Grinch. :p

D

Deleted member

Considering how much the game is against actual fighting, I could see Trophies being the most logical option outside of music. For IP holders, wanting their content represented a specific way is pretty important. And respectable. It's their content. They have a right to care how it's done.

Not that all do(ZUN more or less doesn't care about how Touhou is done, as long as it isn't used for money. Fanworks, art, etc.)
I don’t know why, but I feel like ZUN wouldn’t allow Touhou content in smash.

Jess. Alakasam

Smash Cadet
There's a difference here. They don't tell the person they are baiting that they are being baited. The situation here is that The Roster is on a need to know basis and Xander Mobus doesn't need to know even if he is the announcer.
I assumed the sources wouldn't be high-up enough to NEED to know that but I could be wrong

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who I'm hoping for assist trophies tomorrow.

-Adeleine & Ribbon
-Cooking Mama
-Ecco the Dolphin
-Eggplant Wizard
-Kamek
-King Hippo
-Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
-Mallow
-Rambi
-T-Rex

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
This is edited, right?
Probably. We're not for certain because we don't have any images of Nintendo's press kit.
Wasn't there two versions of this image, though? This one that got shared on twitter, and then one that was missing most of this that was on 4chan?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Probably. We're not for certain because we don't have any images of Nintendo's press kit.
Wasn't there two versions of this image, though? This one that got shared on twitter, and then one that was missing most of this that was on 4chan?
It's edited, yes

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Here's hoping we get Incineroar tomorrow. One, because I think he's neat, and two, because of the karmic retribution that'll take place when we get fan art of him mauling the Grinch. :p
How dare you root for the heel.
If Incineroar is in the dream is over.
How will you be able to sleep at night knowing everyone is sad :104:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom