• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Can we all make a deal?

If the Grinch Leak is true:
TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on TeamFake.
TeamFake: Don't get bitter that you were wrong, just smile and say "Okay, they got us" and admit defeat. No reason to complain!

If the Grinch Leak is fake:
TeamReal: Don't flame the forums or talk crap about insiders, Sakurai, Nintendo, etc for not getting characters you wanted. Just admit that the leaker did an amazing fake and fooled a lot of people.
TeamFake: Don't even talk about it. A lot of people will be upset, and taunting them will only cause this thread to get shut down. Have compassion for all of the disappointed fans.

I think if we all agree to be bound to the Whoville Contract (it's what I'm calling this), I think we will all be fine!

-I sign the Contract: SlickWylde
I’ll sign that contract too. :smash:

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
Aparently this is a closeup of the thumbnail real banner (yeah, I know) dropped on 4chan. Probably fake but was interesting to me.

Blonde guy (Isaac? Saki? Marche?), Captain Rainbow and a giant evil eye and nose in the background. Someone mentioned it might be Wizpig which would be great.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aparently this is a closeup of the thumbnail real banner (yeah, I know) dropped on 4chan. Probably fake but was interesting to me.

Blonde guy (Isaac? Saki? Marche?), Captain Rainbow and a giant evil eye in the background. Someone mentioned it might be Wizpig which would be great.

**** NOT ANOTHER LEAK
This does look pretty fake though.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, if the Grinch Leak is fake, I won't really be upset, at long as we get at least one more female rep. Only having three (arguably four) female characters just doesn't seem like very much. I understand that this game presented through the male gaze (with primarily a male audience in mind), but if we have like 12 male characters and only 3 or 4 female characters I'm gonna...probably do absolutely nothing. But I mean, Smash 4 had (I think) seven female characters (either fully female or dual-gendered). So can we get, like, maybe just one or two more female/dual-gendered characters? That's not asking for too much, is it?
Well, a significant problem with the gender disparity in this game's newcomers (assuming Grinch is real, for the sake of this argument) is the focus on appealing to long-term fan demand and SNES/N64 era favorites. The current boom in female lead characters and the greater community appreciating female characters more doesn't really retroactively apply to characters requested over ten years ago, let alone the most popular characters from over ten years ago.

Assuming the Grinch leak is fake, though, the "only long-term requested characters from older eras" thing might not apply, and we'll get a wider variety of appeals, and some may be more modern requests like Isabelle.

Out of curiosity, what female characters are you hoping will be in? Surely you have some in mind.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So here's how the Grinch leak could all be revealed within 40 minutes, since some aren't sure it would be possible. The times I gave each section are base on how approximately much time they were given in the previous direct. This does not mean it will for sure happen, just that it is possible and could look like this... (Note: The times are what time in the direct the segment would end)

Isaac Reveal (2:00)
Isaac moveset/stage discussion (4:30)
Chorus Kids Reveal (6:30)
Chorus Kids moveset/stage discussion (9:00)
Items/stages/assist trophies (14:00)
Mach Rider reveal (16:00)
Mach Rider movesets/stage discussion (18:30)
Echo Reveal (Shadow/Ken) (20:30)
Game Modes (25:30)
Geno Reveal (27:30)
Geno moveset/stage discussion (30:00)
Miscellaneous changes (33:00)
Spirit Mode (38:00)
Banjo Reveal (40:00)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there also going to be a Treehouse segment afterwards? If so, couldn't they showcase all the newcomers and their moves there? Like they did with Ridley and the Inklings?

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Can we all make a deal?

If the Grinch Leak is true:
TeamReal: Be happy, celebrate, and maybe do some (well intentioned) teasing of people on TeamFake.
TeamFake: Don't get bitter that you were wrong, just smile and say "Okay, they got us" and admit defeat. No reason to complain!

If the Grinch Leak is fake:
TeamReal: Don't flame the forums or talk crap about insiders, Sakurai, Nintendo, etc for not getting characters you wanted. Just admit that the leaker did an amazing fake and fooled a lot of people.
TeamFake: Don't even talk about it. A lot of people will be upset, and taunting them will only cause this thread to get shut down. Have compassion for all of the disappointed fans.

I think if we all agree to be bound to the Whoville Contract (it's what I'm calling this), I think we will all be fine!

-I sign the Contract: SlickWylde
I really wanna like this more than once.

G Rank Zinogre

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sgt. ZinogreVolt

Blonde guy (Isaac? Saki? Marche?), Captain Rainbow and a giant evil eye in the background. Someone mentioned it might be Wizpig which would be great.

Definitely Isaac, his scarf and armor are there and accounted for.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
My only bet for the new Smash Direct (besides an Isaac reveal) is that they'll show off the pixellated mode, and it won't be called Spirits, just to give us one final jape.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Direct Predictions:
  • Starts off with an Incineroar reveal
  • Sakurai goes into detail and explains the new Pokemon stage
  • Other 2 unrevealed stages(Yoshi's Crafted World and Minecraft)
  • Shows off K.Rool and Isabelle in detail
  • Echo Fighter time: Ken+Shadow
  • Spirits Mode showcase
  • Boss montage
  • Online Modes presented as a stealthy "yes we fixed it"
  • Updated For Glory has Omega and Battlefield forms
  • New mode where you can set custom rules and stages against strangers and find others using the same settings.
  • Assist Trophy and Poke Balls returning alongside some new faces
  • Trophies are shown
  • Unlocking methods for fighters are explained
  • "Take a look at our final new character"
  • Geno+Mario RPG stage
  • "Thank you bla bla bla and one more thing before we go"
  • DLC character announced, free for those with Nintendo Online
  • Oh yeah and an EShop demo too
A reasonable outcome for this or something along those lines.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, I honestly doubt we're only going to get two characters with the longest Direct we've had in a while.

It's still possible if they strenuously go over every minute detail about the new or returning modes + online, but the Directs have been pretty concise thus far, and it's easier to apply Occam's Razor to this.

D

Deleted member

Blonde guy (Isaac? Saki? Marche?), Captain Rainbow and a giant evil eye and nose in the background. Someone mentioned it might be Wizpig which would be great.

Isn't Isaac's hair supposed to be spiky? Why does it look so flat.

HesIn

Smash Apprentice
That's why I thought it was the guy from Sin and Punishment first. He's got that Coconut Head look going on.

EDIT: Man, now I want Wizpig.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, if the Grinch Leak is fake, I won't really be upset, at long as we get at least one more female rep. Only having three (arguably four) female characters just doesn't seem like very much. I understand that this game presented through the male gaze (with primarily a male audience in mind), but if we have like 12 male characters and only 3 or 4 female characters I'm gonna...probably do absolutely nothing. But I mean, Smash 4 had (I think) seven female characters (either fully female or dual-gendered). So can we get, like, maybe just one or two more female/dual-gendered characters? That's not asking for too much, is it?
Smash 4 only had 4 female newcomers out of 17 in the base roster. Smash Ultimate's female newcomer count, even if we got no new female characters after Isabelle, would be on par with that. Smash has never been that known for gender diversity. Just look at Brawl's newcomer roster.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Imagine this happens.

Direct opens with a trailer for Ken and Incineroar.

Sakurai comes in.

"There you have it, the roster is complete. Here's a samurai eating mash potato for 38 minutes. See ya!"

Lmao

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just want to say in advance that if the Grinch leak is confirmed fake on Thursday, congratulations to team fake for being right all along. I don’t mean sarcastically, I am actually trying to be a good sport in advance if the leak is fake.

MainJPW

M.T.A

That’s clearly Isaac as you can see his red armor and scarf.

Because it’s fake.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Well, a significant problem with the gender disparity in this game's newcomers (assuming Grinch is real, for the sake of this argument) is the focus on appealing to long-term fan demand and SNES/N64 era favorites. The current boom in female lead characters and the greater community appreciating female characters more doesn't really retroactively apply to characters requested over ten years ago, let alone the most popular characters from over ten years ago.

Assuming the Grinch leak is fake, though, the "only long-term requested characters from older eras" thing might not apply, and we'll get a wider variety of appeals, and some may be more modern requests like Isabelle.

Out of curiosity, what female characters are you hoping will be in? Surely you have some in mind.
Yes I do: Haruka Amami (the girl in my profile) from THE iDOLM@STER for the Bandai Namco rep (which will probably never happen), Shantae, Mach Rider, Homura from Senran Kagura (which will also probably never happen), and Raspberyl from Disgaea 3 (which will again probably never happen)… and maybe Noire from Hyperdimension Neptunia (again... never happening. lol)

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there also going to be a Treehouse segment afterwards? If so, couldn't they showcase all the newcomers and their moves there? Like they did with Ridley and the Inklings?
Yes there is treehouse. So i really think there's a long time to showcase new chars. Makes it pretty clear we are getting more than 2

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
It would be could if they release the DLC in themed packs, like Female Fighters pack, the new IPs pack, the Pokémon pack, or the Xenoblade Pack

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hmm...

Most of the trailers this time have been 2 minutes long, Ridley's "A Piercing Screech" is the shortest (not including the Inklings or Echoes) at 1:53, and Simon's "Vampire Killer" is the longest at 3:04 seconds (and the only reason it's longer than the others is because there's an extra minute devoted to Richter).

Sakurai himself has stated that he's not going to go in depth about what certain characters can do (this holds true for Ridley, K. Rool and Isabelle, who he lets the gameplay footage of speak for themselves).

The direct is going to be 40+ minutes, that's more than enough time for seven 2 minute Character Trailers if that's what they're going to do.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
lol Ayumi attacking characters with her bag would be the funniest thing
That and then she can use Hitomi and the Protagonist as assists to toss her in the air for her up+B and other stuff like that. She'd be so much fun and if we can't get Phoenix Wright I still need my detective novel rep. I love FDC.

D

Deleted member

I hate that I can't make a Zoe support thread because of the game characters only rule :glare:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Quick DLC predictions/wants before the third great Assist Trophy slaughtering.

Depending on if Grinch or Box is right: Incinoroar, Geno, Banjo Kazooie, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Shadow
Also: Dixie Kong, Decidueye, Dillon, Medusa, Waddle Dee, Skull Kid

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I suggest you guys get your DLC newcomer predictions ready before the direct starts, because there is the chance we might get DLC announced with packs of newcomers announced.
Probably gonna be Geno being one of them if he's not on the base roster

But at this point, I can't really be sure of who would be DLC other than Sora, but that one will be tough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom