• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
So. Spawn just put out a new video regarding the Final Smash Direct, and he had this to say about if the leak happens to be fake, alongside with the whole info about "other characters that are missing". Link to the video for mobile users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeGnVb025Os

Assurance, thy name is THANK CHRIST. He also bets on hopefully us getting a Beta Demo, because by that point, we're gonna already know the entirety of the roster, and the online has to be tested in some shape or form before release. Better now than later, right?

The key note is that he's just giving out his thoughts and his sources aren't saying anything on this matter, rather, The Game Awards is where things will get interesting, so the streak is still alive regardless after this Direct.

I wonder though, how many of the "leaked" characters are actually in too then if its fake? Several insiders have claimed like 5 of the 7 are still in, regardless of the leak being real or fake.

For those who don't know:

-Geno
-Isaac
-Ken
-Shadow
-Incineroar
-Chorus Kids

Were all mentioned by a few insiders (in combination, not all 6 together).

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Thank goodness it's at 7 AM instead of 3 PM this time. I have class at 3 PM on Thursdays (the one class I have that day) so the September Direct was super annoying. I can at least wake up for 7 AM like I did with the August Direct.

But damn, 40 minutes? Anything can happen. We're gonna get everything laid out on the table, that's for sure.

T-minus ~44 hours until the end of the speculation journey.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Give me a fully fleshed out, 2018-appropriate online mode and I’ll be fine with Kencineroar.

No wishlist roster can make my only means of playing this game with others a passable experience. I need robust online capabilities man

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, if the Grinch Leak is fake, I won't really be upset, at long as we get at least one more female rep. Only having three (arguably four) female characters just doesn't seem like very much. I understand that this game presented through the male gaze (with primarily a male audience in mind), but if we like 12 male characters and only 3 or 4 female characters I'm gonna...probably do absolutely nothing. But I mean, Smash 4 had (I think) seven female characters (either fully female or dual-gendered). So can we get, like, maybe just one or two more female/dual-gendered characters? That's not asking for too much, is it?
Keep in mind that this roster primarily caters to hardcore fans. It's understandable there will be less female newcomers. And we still got :ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer: with :ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus:(maybe). It's not that small of a number. Certainly more than any other game except Smash For.

paper roxy

Smash Ace
If the leak is ruled fake Thursday, am I the only one going to be most sad about losing Mach Rider? I have a soft-spot for retro characters, and the whole concept and background surrounding Mach Rider really excited me more than anyone else leaked. What is this timeline??
id just be upset that we'd probably get characters like sora or incineroar instead of geno or banjo or mach rider tbh, but i guess im just biased. they are a pretty cool retro pick

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
So with the direct incoming, how about some movie watching victories?

If Team Real is correct, then Team Fake has to watch all 3 Grinch films, starting with the newest and working backwards to the classic.

If Team Fake is correct, Team Real has to watch the live action Cat in the Hat film.

If both are wrong, then both teams watch the live action Grinch and Cat films. On Blu-Ray.
Joke’s on you, I watch the Grinch films every year anyway and iirc, there’s a Cat in the Hat classic cartoon film as well. :seuss::p

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I want the truth to be a complete mind****. Incelroar is in, and is added to the banner first. Then we get some of the grinch characters with the exact same art in the exact right places. Except like 2 or 3 of the grinch characters aren't actually in the game in any capacity whatsoever. :smash:
The final reveal and Rare Rep is James Bond.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If Dante, Shadow, and Incineroar are in the game, I’m creating Team Edgelords with them for Squad Strike
Good god you just reminded me about how hype I am about Squad Strike

Rarely seen in this thread, I am a gigantic ball of hype for Smash Ultimate, which is one of the reasons it'd be hard to disappoint me, and Squad Strike is definitely close to the very top of the list as a reason why I'm excited for the game.

In fact, If I were to arrange the tournament for this thread, I half wanna make it a Squad Strike tournament if that's possible at all

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
I'm late on this, but we're getting a direct!!! (FINALLY!) With the leak still alive, this will cause the world to burn whether the leak is real or fake. I should stay off of Smashboards to avoid any potential leaks to the direct too. But other than that, did I miss anything else?

D

Deleted member

If Dante was to have a Donte alt I’m using it as a training dummy
That reminds me of how MVCI added Donte as an alt costume for Dante, and for some reason it looked way better than regular Dante and clearly had a lot of effort put into it.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
When is Shulk Shogan going to turn heel and bring back the Shulk World Order? We need Shollywood Shulk Shogan back brother!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
For the people who believe the timeframe confirms the leak, please remember that Sakurai has yet to go over K. Rool and Isabelle in detail. There's a very real chance part of the Direct will be dedicated to them.

D

Deleted member

See my latest post. Spirits mode isn't getting more than 6 mins. There's only so much you can talk about. And 6 mins is REALLY pushing it for Spirits. Nothing in the past directs got that much time spent on them.
I guess, but at the same time, 40 minutes is a LONG time. I would have thought at least 15 total for Spirits and the other modes that need more in-depth explanation; or others that we may not even know about.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Regarding the banner, Emily from Resetera just said this a few minutes ago.

She has a (very) shaky history, but she did directly hint at Ultimate's name before E3. Take her words as you will.
Interesting, I’ve heard this before. I wonder what characters they could be referring to

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So with the direct incoming, how about some movie watching victories?

If Team Real is correct, then Team Fake has to watch all 3 Grinch films, starting with the newest and working backwards to the classic.

If Team Fake is correct, Team Real has to watch the live action Cat in the Hat film.

If both are wrong, then both teams watch the live action Grinch and Cat films. On Blu-Ray.
I'm fairly certain both sides are going to be wrong in some capacity. But both of those movies are guilty pleasures of mine, so I will do that gladly.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
I wonder though, how many of the "leaked" characters are actually in too then if its fake? Several insiders have claimed like 5 of the 7 are still in, regardless of the leak being real or fake.

For those who don't know:

-Geno
-Isaac
-Ken
-Shadow
-Incineroar
-Chorus Kids

Were all mentioned by a few insiders (in combination, not all 6 together).
To add on to this PapaGenos claims he has a source who has a Microsoft source who is sure about Banjo.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Keep in mind that this roster primarily caters to hardcore fans. It's understandable there will be less female newcomers. And we still got :ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer: with :ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus:(maybe). It's not that small of a number. Certainly more than any other game except Smash For.
True, but Pikachu and Pkmn Trainer aren't really new characters. I mean yeah, the heart-tail Pikachu and female trainer I guess are kind of new, but at the same time, they still function exactly the same as their male counterparts. Daisy is at least a little bit different than Peach. Plus, with Pkmn Trainer, you're playing as the Pokemon and not the trainer, and the Pokémon appear to be more male than female.
But to be fair, I just forgot to include female Pikachu and female Pkmn Trainer since they didn't seem unique enough to me to stand out as new female characters

D

Deleted member

For the people who believe the timeframe confirms the leak, please remember that Sakurai has yet to go over K. Rool and Isabelle in detail. There's a very real chance part of the Direct will be dedicated to them.
Ridley didn't even get so much as a glance in the August direct, though. Plus they could cover them in the Treehouse stream afterwards.
Could still happen, but it's something to keep in mind.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I actually think there's a bigger chance they'll be covered in the tree house afterwards just like how Ridley was

D

Deleted member

What if Sakurai decides to put every character in my signature into Smash
Nobody would ask for anything ever again
except for maybe zoe being replaced with waluigi

D

Deleted member

Not gonna nitpick on every one of these, but why do you think online modes will be three minutes tops?

I really hope we get more information about it than that.
Because 3 mins is a lot of time to cover a singular thing. Go watch the previous directs and note how much time was spent on each segment.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Honestly I'm not sure what I'd rather have more: the contents of the Grinch leak, Shrek, or the entire cast of Mean Girls as a single playable fighter.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
I guess, but at the same time, 40 minutes is a LONG time. I would have thought at least 15 total for Spirits and the other modes that need more in-depth explanation; or others that we may not even know about.
I think it will be a 5 Minutes cinematic trailer announcing both Spirits mode and newcomers and then other 5-10 minutes talking about Spirits mode in detail

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And, it's important to note that Nintendo never rushes their directs. They often spend overly long amounts of time on basic details that we aren't even thinking about right now. It's certainly possible that they could choose to overload us with exciting character trailers, but that's typically not their style.

I genuinely hope a large portion of the direct is dedicated to how their online modes will work, and that it's not just like Smash 4 again. That system could really use some major improvements.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Man, I just realized the last two directs were each 25mins long. This one is nearly TWICE as long!!

Direct 1 had:
-Everyone is Here segment - 5 mins
-Changes to Vets - 10 mins
-Echo Fighters and Daisy reveal - 1 min
-Inkling moveset details - 1.5 mins
-Assist Trophies & Items - 1 min
-Stages and Stage details - 2 mins
-New Mechanics - 1.5 mins
-GCN mote and Amiibo Support - 1 min
-Ridley Trailer - 1.5 mins

3 characters showcased + a bunch of other info in 25mins

Direct 2 had:
-Simon + Richter trailer - 3 mins
-Castlevania content details - 3.5mins
-Chrom and Dark Samus Echo Fighters reveal - 2.5mins
-Stages All stages revealed + new features - 4.5 mins
-Music - 2.5mins
-Rules, new modes, CSS, Training mode, Tourney mode, and more - 3.5mins
-Items, ATs, Pokeballs - 4.5mins
-Menu Screen and Spirits teaser - 1min
-K.Rool Trailer - 2mins

5 characters showcased + a bunch more info in 25 mins

Direct 3 had:
-Isabelle reveal - 3 mins

This direct is 40 MINUTES!!! Holy ****!!!

Shadow and Ken will be getting like 2 mins of it dedicated to them, and then Spirits mode and all the other content can't possibly take more than 20 mins total. This is also the final direct, so all signs point to us getting a ****ton of characters. Most character trailers only take 2 mins each as well. So for 5 characters, that's 10 mins of the 40 min direct. All signs point to yes for the leak!!
Exactly what I'm thinking

D

Deleted member

Ridley didn't even get so much as a glance in the August direct, though. Plus they could cover them in the Treehouse stream afterwards.
Could still happen, but it's something to keep in mind.
That's because Ridley was present in the demo though and was covered in the Treehouse event. And a reminder Cloud was revealed in a Direct and got an explanation in the Final Presentation that happened a month later.
I'm 100% the treehouse thing will be just like at E3 and focus on the newly revealed characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That reminds me of how MVCI added Donte as an alt costume for Dante, and for some reason it looked way better than regular Dante and clearly had a lot of effort put into it.
I actually liked that one. DmC Dante wasn't really well written or as fun as regular Dante but I like his design a lot as a stand alone character.

D

Deleted member

I covered all those possibilities in my follow up posts. 20mins to cover non-character stuff is more than enough. That's the length of the previous directs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom