• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_

Smash Lord
This is in general what my current belief is on what's going on. It seems to me that unusual and heavy-handed tactics for leak-prevention and misinformation were likely employed to great success. Of the insiders that have tried to be transparent instead of giving lofty "I declare the leak is false"'s, there's a noticeable trend that they all seem pretty friggin confused. I'm strongly getting the impression that things are not making sense on their end at all.

Under normal circumstances I'd rule this out as conspiracy nonsense. But frankly, the alternative is that the insiders are on the mark, the leak is completely fake, and some borderline conspiracy nonsense took place in order to produce a fake of this caliber. Either way, someone went way too hard on this.
More to add on this, Harada is from BandaiNamco. Who's working with Nintendo on Smash?

Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai took some notes from Harada.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
It took me some time to read what Jones said earlier, and I can understand him in a way.

For me, I don't really care about any of the stupid leaks or whatever this insider thing is. I don't even care if I'm right or wrong. The only thing I wanted was either Phosphora, Medusa, or Monster Hunter to be playable, but even if that doesn't happen, I wouldn't be furious... I still have a buffed up Pit (thanks to all that demo gameplay) by my side to fall back on that brings me joy. Besides that, I just want all this nonsense and madness to be put down for good. It just seems like with each Smash game we get, the amount of people in the community grow, but so does the amount of anger, demands, and chaos, most of it which are caused by these so-called leaks and heated arguments and such, which would damage hype anyways. Surely such a thing would be stressful for everyone, especially the developers and Sakurai himself. Surely that large weight of stress and frustration would give many of us mighty headaches and such, and just imagining such is troubling.

Am I patient? I can be, and I am for now. My only true concern is what will become of Kid Icarus, and still my concern on where Phosphora is and what her role will be. Granted, my mind may be narrow in some areas and I focus on KI a lot, but I just hate all the negativity that is going on for the past few days. Besides that, I just worry what will happen to this place as we get closer to Smash's release. Will some of us be at each other's throats for bragging rights on who's right or wrong or just regarding spite towards certain characters? I can see a lot of that happening considering how big Smash is, and like I said, I just worry a lot about the fallout for when we get something new. To think that Smash 4 was trouble already, but now it's like s4 times ten of the intensity and dangers.

Perhaps, if we could just be a tad patient, and just enjoy what we have/know, such as the beauty of the game details which got better recently, and some of the music, maybe we can have more harmony and peace here than we used to as we close in to not only the game release itself, but before that will be true and official info from Nintendo itself, and then we can expand the horizon of our thoughts afterwards.

Now how bout we think "Bright and Cheerful" and endure the wait for a little while longer and mold ourselves into a greater community? Who knows? The reward might pay off for doing so.
870369a42e9c3f98a1abde2340c339501496066033_large.jpg

tl;dr version is be more friendly and peaceful towards each other and appreciate the game for more than just who's in the roster. We should not forget the amount of songs and stages we're getting too, as well as well... the beautiful quality and details and colors the game has to offer.

(And yes, I wanted an excuse to add Ochako or another MHA character into a post of mine for a change)

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
Honestly at this point I'm just excited at the idea of having more than two newcomers left.

The Grinch leak has been so exhausting. I assumed it was real when I first saw it, but people have presented a lot of inconsistencies. I'm on the fence now, but I do hope it's real. I'm especially getting tired of people flaming each other over this though.

Please try to be kind to each other. We're all in the same boat waiting for the next Direct--and that includes insiders too.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
A year from now, we'll all be playing Ultimate in peace, probably have some DLC characters and content, too, and we'll all look back on this time period and go "Wow, that was all really ****ing stupid."

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Why almost each character in the leak could be an AT:
  • Mach Rider: Unpopular pick. Not a single unpopular character was announced to Smash Ultimate yet. This is stronger considering the game title, the Ultimate smash game. Maybe Sakurai wanted to represent Mach Rider but thought that he is into Takamaru scenario. Mach Rider has a obvious attack as a AT, since he can appear with his motorbike and run over characters, shooting some energy beans from one side to another.
  • Chorus Kids: Maybe everything started with a photo of him into Smash4 a long time ago (as an AT) and was cutted from the final game. Gematsu could thought he was an actual character, but he was just an AT that was delayed into this new game. My main concern about this is that we already have that god from Kid Icarus that sings as an AT.
  • Geno: The second least likely of them IMO to be an AT. Sakurai recognized people wanted Geno for a long time, and I don't think he would take this route with the character. Still possible since he had a role into a single game so long ago. Going for Square to achieve him only for being an AT would be weird thought.
  • Isaac : Already was an AT before, at SSBB. Could be ported over or a bit reworked. If they go for a "everyone is here" AT version, he would need to appear.
  • Banjo Kazooei: The least likely of them all since he is just too important to be a AT. At the same time, Bomberman is an AT. Maybe they picked Steve as playable and Banjo as an AT. I still think this is not that likely
  • Ken: I don't think I need to go much further on this one. Rodin uses some of Bayo moves as an AT, Ken could be the same.
  • Shadow: The most possible one of them. Maybe Sakurai teased us with Shadow all along, knowing people would assume he was "the perfect echo" just to announce his AT now. Maybe he is the chosen one to justify "not every character that resembles another from the franchise can be an echo".

D

Deleted member

Guys, I think we should reopen the Isaac was cropped out discussion again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...ros_smash_ultimate_spoiler_discussion/e8p908u
There are already many posts that deal with this.

The cropping error has been found around multiple areas of the mural, it's not just Isaac's spot. Plus, whoever made this mural most likely has every character set to their own layer (as any artist would for something like this), so there wouldn't be a need to crop Isaac out, you would simply disable his layer, which would not leave anything behind.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Just saying, if you guys aren't watching Japan Time right now you probably should.

They are bringing up a lot of the usual talking points about the Grinch leak, but they have given little nuggets of info that are interesting.

For example, Shofu said he thinks the leak does look legit, however he has a source for Pokemon that has given him legit info on USUM and Let's Go in the past. That source told him Incineroar is in, so he's unsure on the leak since he trusts that dude. RogersBase also agreed with that, saying he knows the same guy.

They also talked a little bit about Harada's anti-leak strategies for Tekken which was interesting. Basically he intentionally puts out fake leaks and tracks who says what. That way he was able to keep Noctis and Negan in Tekken a secret. He's gone on record admitting that he does so as well.
At this point, with so many confirming Incineroar, I am just flat out expecting him to be the Pokemon newcomer for Ultimate.

I have zero hopes that I will get my Lycanroc prediction right.

NichijouDisappointed3.gif

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
...this speculation cycle has cause some strange vitriol against him. Or perhaps it was aways there?
I couldn't give even less of a hoot about Minecraft even before Ultimate got announced. If the aesthetics appeal to the younger crowd, more power to them, I just don't want the merch, guidebooks, spin-offs, official/unofficial tie-in novels and homages/imitations being shoved in my face.

Dragon Quest Builders is fine though, since at least it's fluid and actually seems fun.

Last edited:

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
So someone help me out here. Let's assume for a sec the leak is true. Would Sakurai have a new version of the banner made so that we won't automatically know the entire leak is true at the next character reveal? Or is that too much work?

If you're confused about what I'm saying, if the next reveal has a character shown in the same pose as on the leak, then we pretty much know all of it is true. So would Sakurai have a new version of the banner made just to avoid this?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
This is in general what my current belief is on what's going on. It seems to me that unusual and heavy-handed tactics for leak-prevention and misinformation were likely employed to great success. Of the insiders that have tried to be transparent instead of giving lofty "I declare the leak is false"'s, there's a noticeable trend that they all seem pretty friggin confused. I'm strongly getting the impression that things are not making sense on their end at all.

Under normal circumstances I'd rule this out as conspiracy nonsense. But frankly, the alternative is that the insiders are on the mark, the leak is completely fake, and some borderline conspiracy nonsense took place in order to produce a fake of this caliber. Either way, someone went way too hard on this.
The misinformation campaign only makes sense if we're getting multiple different characters from these insiders. Otherwise all these people got their information from the same or similar source. Also, as far as I'm aware, there is also another tell tale flag in the leak for these insiders, one most have opted to keep private (Probably that one of the characters is actually an assist trophy). Considering all of these Journalists are part of it, It's very possible they've had a press briefing recently with Nintendo and simply cannot talk about WHY it's not real. Incineroar is the only one anyone's talking about because he is already essentially public knowledge, what the Insiders apparently know, is not.

Last edited:

radBoss

Smash Cadet
Honestly. I don't think anyone can truly be considered trustworthy. Some insiders, such as PapaGenos, are better than others, but I would recommend taking everything said by them with a grain of salt until we get more official information about the game.
I don't think I'd call PapaGenos an Insider. He's just a dude who got mixed into this and now wants the answers to the universe.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'll be mad if Grinchboards isn't the April Fools joke next year.
Seeing as the Grinch is primarily associated with Christmas, I find it extremely doubtful that he'll get any kind of April Fools treatment.

That honor belongs to everyone's favorite guy in purple.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It took me some time to read what Jones said earlier, and I can understand him in a way.

For me, I don't really care about any of the stupid leaks or whatever this insider thing is. I don't even care if I'm right or wrong. The only thing I wanted was either Phosphora, Medusa, or Monster Hunter to be playable, but even if that doesn't happen, I wouldn't be furious... I still have a buffed up Pit (thanks to all that demo gameplay) by my side to fall back on that brings me joy. Besides that, I just want all this nonsense and madness to be put down for good. It just seems like with each Smash game we get, the amount of people in the community grow, but so does the amount of anger, demands, and chaos, most of it which are caused by these so-called leaks and heated arguments and such, which would damage hype anyways. Surely such a thing would be stressful for everyone, especially the developers and Sakurai himself. Surely that large weight of stress and frustration would give many of us mighty headaches and such, and just imagining such is troubling.

Am I patient? I can be, and I am for now. My only true concern is what will become of Kid Icarus, and still my concern on where Phosphora is and what her role will be. Granted, my mind may be narrow in some areas and I focus on KI a lot, but I just hate all the negativity that is going on for the past few days. Besides that, I just worry what will happen to this place as we get closer to Smash's release. Will some of us be at each other's throats for bragging rights on who's right or wrong or just regarding spite towards certain characters? I can see a lot of that happening considering how big Smash is, and like I said, I just worry a lot about the fallout for when we get something new. To think that Smash 4 was trouble already, but now it's like s4 times ten of the intensity and dangers.

Perhaps, if we could just be a tad patient, and just enjoy what we have/know, such as the beauty of the game details which got better recently, and some of the music, maybe we can have more harmony and peace here than we used to as we close in to not only the game release itself, but before that will be true and official info from Nintendo itself, and then we can expand the horizon of our thoughts afterwards.

Now how bout we think "Bright and Cheerful" and endure the wait for a little while longer and mold ourselves into a greater community? Who knows? The reward might pay off for doing so.
View attachment 173477

tl;dr version is be more friendly and peaceful towards each other and appreciate the game for more than just who's in the roster. We should not forget the amount of songs and stages we're getting too, as well as well... the beautiful quality and details and colors the game has to offer.

(And yes, I wanted an excuse to add Ochako or another MHA character into a post of mine for a change)
Well said man. Even if Medusa doesn't make the cut I'm happy with what I got which is :ultkrool:and:ultridley:. In the end though this is Sakurai's game and we definitely should be grateful he's given us some fan favorites because if he didn't want to he wouldn't had.

Kagrenac

Smash Cadet
Fact: There is nothing to prove the leak is fake
Also a fact: There is nothing to prove the leak is unequivocally real

Inside sources aren't reliable as Bamco gives out false info all the time. Incineroar and steve are red herrings

Don't believe anyone and don't let others tell you what you should think. Think what YOU want about this leak and don't let buttfaces that say they have "credible sources" tell you otherwise. Because it's just bull****.

Yes I'm talking about people like PapaGeno and Mystic.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
They also talked a little bit about Harada's anti-leak strategies for Tekken which was interesting. Basically he intentionally puts out fake leaks and tracks who says what. That way he was able to keep Noctis and Negan in Tekken a secret. He's gone on record admitting that he does so as well.
Too bad it didn't work for Soul Calibur 6 and everyone in the FGC circle was expecting 2B to be the guest.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
https://i.4cdn.org/v/1540862497376.png

There's no actual way this dumb **** actually was Chadandorf
If the internet gets 4D Chess'd, no scratch that, 28D Hungry Hungry Hippo'd by the same guy that flipped his couch over and threw **** all over his basement in rage because of a fake Sonic Adventure 3 leak, I'll...

...do something. I'll think of it later.

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
Just saying, if you guys aren't watching Japan Time right now you probably should.

They are bringing up a lot of the usual talking points about the Grinch leak, but they have given little nuggets of info that are interesting.

For example, Shofu said he thinks the leak does look legit, however he has a source for Pokemon that has given him legit info on USUM and Let's Go in the past. That source told him Incineroar is in, so he's unsure on the leak since he trusts that dude. RogersBase also agreed with that, saying he knows the same guy.

I am curious how this plays out. Like if Nintendo is using this kind of tactic, how far would they go with it? Insiders claimed to have actually seen this large red pokemon fighter visually, and hes not in the mural leak. Could it mean nintendo just made a 3D model of him and distributed it in a screenshot to make a fake leak about it? Did they simply see his image in the fighter select screen? We dont know. Maybe he is real and the mural is fake, or the mural is fake and he is real? Maybe they coexist happily in the future... Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z!!

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Well, compression don't change colors like that.

What could happen is: You have green together with the black, that way the colors could get mixed.

THE PROBLEM IS: There is no Green there! BUT, if Isaac exists there... Yes! There IS Green!

Understand now? Saying that "The compression made it green" its Bul****, so Bul**** that for something like that to Happen alot of parts of this image would have changed colors as well!

AGAIN: There is no thing like a color apearing out of nowere in a image. Not even a Pixel.

You see more parts there with a Color change? NO!
So what!? You will believe now that "Just Little Macs right foot got compressed" , oh STOP please.

Last edited:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I dont think mach rider is an assist if the mech was used as a base for them.
it's just way too unnecessary, usually sakurai uses figures for complete movesets.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
so, an anon theorized in that thread that, assuming the leak is real, MTP is indeed the Chadondorf poster but he isn't the actual leaker. He's backpedaling because he realized he was fooling around with the wrong ****.

If this is legit and if you actually listen to MTP's most recent videos then what likely happened was that Eric Bricard's friend who took the screenshot of the snap is on the same discord server as MTP. He then posted it, MTP saved it, and realized this was a legit leak. The then started making reference to the leak in his videos and hyping **** up and also made the Chadandorf post. Then last week he finally posted the leak. His most recent videos were him ****ting all over leakers and the idea of having "insider" information. Likely that was him ****ting on a bunch of people of whom he had evidence were full of **** with all of their claims of Incineroar being in the game and the Grinch leak being fake. He had proof that he had something legit and they were attentionwhores who had nothing. Then he posted those videos. He likely freaked the **** out when he realized the leak could be traced back to him and how he could get in serious legal trouble by Nintendo, Eric Bricard, and the printing company. Hence the backpedaling going on now.
this is some real reachy-tinfoil hat business, and I'm more likely to believe that MTP is a manchild who wanted attention, got bored, and started retreating, but whaddya think?

Last edited:

Fortnite4Smash

Smash Apprentice
There are already many posts that deal with this.

The cropping error has been found around multiple areas of the mural, it's not just Isaac's spot. Plus, whoever made this mural most likely has every character set to their own layer (as any artist would for something like this), so there wouldn't be a need to crop Isaac out, you would simply disable his layer, which would not leave anything behind.
What if Isaac wasn't cropped out. But more they just added the wrong picture to the site.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Seeing as the Grinch is primarily associated with Christmas, I find it extremely doubtful that he'll get any kind of April Fools treatment.

That honor belongs to everyone's favorite guy in purple.
But we can't even use Ridleyboards anymore.

... WOW it feels so damn weird saying that.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well, compression don't change colors like that.

What could happes is: You have green together with the black, that way the colors could be mixed.

THE PROBLEM IS: There is no Green there! BUT, if Isaac exists there... Yes! There IS Green!

Understand now? Saying that "The compression made it green" its Bul****, so Bul**** that for something like that to Happen alot of parts of this image would have changed colors as well!

You see more parts there with a Color change? NO!
So what!? You will believe now that "Just Little Masc right foot got compressed" , oh STOP please.
This ain't it Graizen

D

Deleted member

Why almost each character in the leak could be an AT:
  • Mach Rider: Unpopular pick. Not a single unpopular character was announced to Smash Ultimate yet. This is stronger considering the game title, the Ultimate smash game. Maybe Sakurai wanted to represent Mach Rider but thought that he is into Takamaru scenario. Mach Rider has a obvious attack as a AT, since he can appear with his motorbike and run over characters, shooting some energy beans from one side to another.
  • Chorus Kids: Maybe everything started with a photo of him into Smash4 a long time ago (as an AT) and was cutted from the final game. Gematsu could thought he was an actual character, but he was just an AT that was delayed into this new game. My main concern about this is that we already have that god from Kid Icarus that sings as an AT.
  • Geno: The second least likely of them IMO to be an AT. Sakurai recognized people wanted Geno for a long time, and I don't think he would take this route with the character. Still possible since he had a role into a single game so long ago. Going for Square to achieve him only for being an AT would be weird thought.
  • Isaac : Already was an AT before, at SSBB. Could be ported over or a bit reworked. If they go for a "everyone is here" AT version, he would need to appear.
  • Banjo Kazooei: The least likely of them all since he is just too important to be a AT. At the same time, Bomberman is an AT. Maybe they picked Steve as playable and Banjo as an AT. I still think this is not that likely
  • Ken: I don't think I need to go much further on this one. Rodin uses some of Bayo moves as an AT, Ken could be the same.
  • Shadow: The most possible one of them. Maybe Sakurai teased us with Shadow all along, knowing people would assume he was "the perfect echo" just to announce his AT now. Maybe he is the chosen one to justify "not every character that resembles another from the franchise can be an echo".
But, here's my problem; why would you put an Assist Trophy in the roster of playables? Granted, Mr. Saturn is in there with Olimar and the Pikmin, but maybe you could argue that Mr. Saturns are the most unique of items given how much of a role they played in EarthBound and Mother 3?

Potato_

Smash Lord
Too bad it didn't work for Soul Calibur 6 and everyone in the FGC circle was expecting 2B to be the guest.
To be fair, people expected her because she was without a doubt the most requested guest character. I don't remember seeing a leak that outright said it was her.

If you go to the CaS and search people's creations, you'll see SO MANY 2B's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom