• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KiBom

Smash Journeyman
Look, I get sick and tired about having to beat around the bush with freaking STEVE! Just because Minecraft sold a lot of units doesn't mean it deserves to be in Smash Bros. Based on that logic, Grand Theft Auto should be in Smash Bros.. The guy is just the default avatar to the game. There's nothing special about him.

If anything, you wanna know how to sink Smash Bros? Have this be the seven characters:

*Steve
*Sans from Undertale
*Freddy Fozbear from Five Nights at Freddy's
*Fortnite Guy
*PUBG Solo Artwork Guy
*Flappy Bird
*Sonic.EXE

I do not apologize for my opinions on these.
Don't forget Teemo from League of Legends.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
That and Mewtwo's render were the biggest contention points against Rayman. As well as the fact that you couldn't select him.

But only a very minor subset of people ever questioned it, most of us ate it up. I do wonder if we would've gone deeper into trying to debunk had it gone on longer than a couple days, the hoax's life span was pretty short due to Omni coming clean after Ubisoft said they would be making a statement on it.
whenever there's a leak that's fake but no one can debunk, the company makes a statement or attemts to

ACL-PLV hasn't said a word in terms of the leak

OWO

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
That and Mewtwo's render were the biggest contention points against Rayman. As well as the fact that you couldn't select him.

But only a very minor subset of people ever questioned it, most of us ate it up. I do wonder if we would've gone deeper into trying to debunk had it gone on longer than a couple days, the hoax's life span was pretty short due to Omni coming clean after Ubisoft said they would be making a statement on it.
The one swift nail in the coffin for me back then was when he removed the video himself. He tried to replicate the ESRB leak to get more people to believe it even more, but he didn't account for the fact that the video should've said it was removed by NoA, NOT the user (I know his only option was to remove it himself, but imo he shouldve just removed it after revealing himself.)

Had it not been for that, I wouldve been in 100% utter shock when he revealed himself. I ate that leak up once the video showed up.

D

Deleted member

...you have to be dismissive because literally why
Because it goes against you wanting the leak to be real, so you're just gonna bus the guy who I don't think you even know that well?
If you're gonna put it that way...

Okay, I'm gonna stop ranting for a moment to discuss something that I was thinking about earlier today; while we don't know that a Direct is going to be this week, next week, or the week after, one thing that I know is certain is that a copy of the game will wind up in somebody's hands, and they'll start dumping as much information as possible. It happened with Super Mario Odyssey, it's happened with every Pokemon game, and it's going to happen to Ultimate. So, as an aside, I would honestly keep this in mind as well, as this is another possibility to contend with.

CrunchyCHEEZIT

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt that any insider information is as recent as the Grinch banner. From what I interpreted, one of them is supposed to be an AT, but there presence on the banner makes people believe that it's fake. I believe it's because that character was upgraded from AT status to playable character, maybe due to the lack of Incineroar.
... no, I'm pretty sure these insiders are very aware of the Grinch banner and have updated information, they wouldn't be claiming its fake if they knew they had outdated information and you're assuming that the banner is truth.

Most insiders are claiming the banner itself is completely fake because it doesn't feature Incineroar (and they probably think its unlikely that it isn't supposed to be the final banner because anything more than 7 characters is a huge stretch with how much time we have left). That one guy who suggested the AT thing added on to that, claiming that everything about the banner is fake because he was told one of the characters leaked on the banner (Shadow, Ken, Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids) is in the final game as an assist trophy, not a playable fighter. If they know that, then would know that they aren't supposed to be on a banner, which is why they're claiming its fake - regardless of if that random guy and his sources are even legitimate.

D

Deleted member

whenever there's a leak that's fake but no one can debunk, the company makes a statement or attemts to

ACL-PLV hasn't said a word in terms of the leak

OWO
It's because they're under NDA from Illumination. They can't just talk about leaked Grinch materials like that.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No, **** you all, I'm not going to open image editors again just to show you all how basic compression work.

Not again.

I'm not talking to people who believe to see hint in a compressed Jpeg of an originally 50000 pixel wide banner
Ah ah ah. I've caught you, foul beast.

1540864831289.png

Looks like you caught the Isaac as well. I know your game!
You can't hide anything from me.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Just saying, if you guys aren't watching Japan Time right now you probably should.

They are bringing up a lot of the usual talking points about the Grinch leak, but they have given little nuggets of info that are interesting.

For example, Shofu said he thinks the leak does look legit, however he has a source for Pokemon that has given him legit info on USUM and Let's Go in the past. That source told him Incineroar is in, so he's unsure on the leak since he trusts that dude. RogersBase also agreed with that, saying he knows the same guy.

They also talked a little bit about Harada's anti-leak strategies for Tekken which was interesting. Basically he intentionally puts out fake leaks and tracks who says what. That way he was able to keep Noctis and Negan in Tekken a secret. He's gone on record admitting that he does so as well.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I’m not discussing that god damn Pixel again there’s been enough tin foil on my head already

D

Deleted member

You realize Minecraft is on multiple Nintendo consoles right???
And has a 3DS XL package???

So it hits the Nintendo history tick???
The **** else do you need man???
I'm not going to bother arguing about Minecraft anymore. It's a 4Chan meme that people have hopped on like Goku and Shrek.

NineS

Smash Lord
I'm not trying to be harsh on purpose, and the guy does work a translator, but unless there's hard evidence to the matter, I kind of have to be dismissive right now.
I don't think mystic is really quite trying to get attention or lying about anything.
He struck me as being really genuine, and a decent human being.

He's said before that he's considered the possibility of some of his sources lying or getting incorrect info, though. He's not trying to claim he's right, he's just claiming it conflicts with what he's heard but admitting he could still be wrong.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not going to bother arguing about Minecraft anymore. It's a 4Chan meme that people have hopped on like Goku and Shrek.
So's Isaac, then.

See? You want Isaac, and I just threw him into the "meme character" pile because I don't care for him.

Look at my sig with Steve in it, and consider how that makes me, and other Steve supporters, feel. Thanks.

D

Deleted member

Look, I get sick and tired about having to beat around the bush with freaking STEVE! Just because Minecraft sold a lot of units doesn't mean it deserves to be in Smash Bros. Based on that logic, Grand Theft Auto should be in Smash Bros.. The guy is just the default avatar to the game. There's nothing special about him.

If anything, you wanna know how to sink Smash Bros? Have this be the seven characters:

*Steve
*Sans from Undertale
*Freddy Fozbear from Five Nights at Freddy's
*Fortnite Guy
*PUBG Solo Artwork Guy
*Flappy Bird
*Sonic.EXE

I do not apologize for my opinions on these.
Oi. Pretty much none of these guys have any chance of getting in.

Besides, have your opinions on Minecraft (I have mine), but it can be a candidate for Smash. It was on multiple Nintendo consoles. And if you ignore the crigne aspect of the Minecraft fanbase, you'll see that are some people here that genuinely do think Steve can work in Smash.

I don't think we need another Fire Emblem character, but I'm not about to go and say that they don't deserve to be in Smash because I don't like them.
We don't have any real authority on who deserves to be in Smash.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
‘Cept Steve’s a video game character, so he has a chance, regardless if you think he “deserves” it or not.

...this speculation cycle has cause some strange vitriol against him. Or perhaps it was aways there?

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
Re. Mach Rider's gender, it's clear the original intention was for them to be female, based on that magazine art made for when the game was released. Close examination reveals that it was copyrighted 1986, and I assume that refers to the image specifically. Plus there was that arcade appearance IIRC in the early 90's. So why did Sakurai refer to Mach as a dude? Well let's be honest, quite a few of the trophies in Melee were inaccurate (like Ayumi for instance). If Mach is in SSBU, I'd have to presume Sakurai did more research on the character than he did with the Melee trophy. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Don't forget Teemo from League of Legends.
Ngl, I'd be hype for Teemo. I love that little guy.

He actually might be more hype for me than any other newcomer in Ultimate lol.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
‘Cept Steve’s a video game character, so he has a chance, regardless if you think he “deserves” it or not.

...this speculation cycle has cause some strange vitriol against him. Or perhaps it was aways there?
But drago!!1!1111!!! Idiot!!! LITTLE KIDS WANT STEVE AND THAT'S CRINGE!!! NO LITTLE KIDS AND THEIR CRINGE FORTNITE NEAR MY VIDEOGAME

If you excuse me I'm gonna go back to playing my Smash Bros thanks

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
From their first bunch of postings they seemed genuine. Also personally I believe the AT thing is some kind of misinformation, mainly because I just think the leak is real.

Also, for anyone who missed it:
I used to think it was Banjo kazooie,
But now I think it's Mach Rider...
(S)He wouldn't work true to his/her game if (s)he was a fighter...
(S)he could easily work as an assist trophy though

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
As someone who is ignorant on the topic of Smash insiders, who is generally considered the most trustworthy?
Honestly. I don't think anyone can truly be considered trustworthy. Some insiders, such as PapaGenos, are better than others, but I would recommend taking everything said by them with a grain of salt until we get more official information about the game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I’m on team neutral all the way I have to be reminded that this could be fake even with all the evidence for team real

When I said leaning toward real

Mach rider was the whole reason for it despite everything else

That toy gun just looks like Mach riders the most more than elmas gun and even though he only wanted the gun the robot looks like Mach rider as well and he was considered for melee

theromfather

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say Im pretty convinced Mr. Saturn is in the mural because hes been upgraded from an item to a playable fighter. :troll::troll::troll:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
They also talked a little bit about Harada's anti-leak strategies for Tekken which was interesting. Basically he intentionally puts out fake leaks and tracks who says what. That way he was able to keep Noctis and Negan in Tekken a secret. He's gone on record admitting that he does so as well.
This is in general what my current belief is on what's going on. It seems to me that unusual and heavy-handed tactics for leak-prevention and misinformation were likely employed to great success. Of the insiders that have tried to be transparent instead of giving lofty "I declare the leak is false"'s, there's a noticeable trend that they all seem pretty friggin confused. I'm strongly getting the impression that things are not making sense on their end at all.

Under normal circumstances I'd rule this out as conspiracy nonsense. But frankly, the alternative is that the insiders are on the mark, the leak is completely fake, and some borderline conspiracy nonsense took place in order to produce a fake of this caliber. Either way, someone went way too hard on this.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Just saying, if you guys aren't watching Japan Time right now you probably should.

They are bringing up a lot of the usual talking points about the Grinch leak, but they have given little nuggets of info that are interesting.

For example, Shofu said he thinks the leak does look legit, however he has a source for Pokemon that has given him legit info on USUM and Let's Go in the past. That source told him Incineroar is in, so he's unsure on the leak since he trusts that dude. RogersBase also agreed with that, saying he knows the same guy.

So pretty much Incineroar is still the hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom