• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Online tourney? Up to 32 players? At ultimate?
Hmmm
Probably tournament related, but it could mean that Squad Strike can be played online aswell.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Online battle? Up to 32 players? At ultimate?
Hmmm
Tourney, I'm assuming...
I doubt we'd be able to do 32 player Ice-Climbers or Chorus Kids without setting the place ablaze

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
The more I think about reasons why the background in the leaked mural would be different than the E3 mural, I think I have a reason that finally satisfies me. The leak showed the mural wrapped in a circular fashion, meant to be some sort of circular display..what if that display was meant to have a lightsource in the middle, almost like a lampshade or something youd hang from the top of your store ceiling next to the lights? In that case it would make perfect sense why the details behind the characters in the background would be removed. When you have light shining through you dont want mountain peaks/waterfalls and whatnot to show theough the character, you want the character to be solid. Not sure if this has been discussed yet, apologies if it has. I literally just thought of this while I was in the shower and had to get my thoughts out.

In computer graphics, unless something has transparency, only the thing is front is drawn. As in, when you showed or printed the mural, those mountains wouldn’t be there anyways. This is the most damning thing about these changes, there is literally 0 reason to do them because it makes 0 difference in the final product (the one with the characters in front). Any computer (and human spectator for that matter) will view both backgrounds the same once you apply the newcomers on top of it and “flatten” the layers.

Last edited:

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Everyones here discussing Goku in Smash and i am here like:
Never gonna happen and even if Smash included a non video game character it would be Luffy 100% (Americans need to chill about DBZ a bit honestly)

Untouch

Smash Master
Okay people ****post about a battle royale mode, but something like smash run on a massive map where the goal is to take out your opponent would be absolutely amazing.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Well no specifically shes from a Voice Synthesis Software.. Loose definiton of a Video game but we got Miis and ROB.
The utilization of a voice synthesis software to make Miku's voice is in no way a videogame, and comparing that kind of stretch to R.O.B and Miis is ridiculous. Both R.O.B and Miis are directly used in Nintendo games, they are at the very least tools of those games, and are kind of integral to playing them. Hell Wii Sports was massive and that is entirely composed of Miis. Miku is not a video game character, VSS is not a video game.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
what irritates me a lot about trying to disprove the leak is the following:

If this was indeed a fake, why would the leaker go through all the hassle of

- designing new renders that match the artstyle
- blurring out said new renders or specifically recording them in a blurry way (If i created something authentic, i want the world to see what I did)
- rearranging the entire mural
- actively contradict the "Incineroar hype train"
- create or link to a real person who worked at a french printing company
- research said company to have ties with Namco Bandai
- connection the topics of smash to the Grinch

All the while screwing up on some minor background elements of the banner? the amount of work and risk it would take to fake everything stated (and more) kind of makes me believe that, in case it was all fabricated, the perpetrator would have thought of EVERYTHING else...it's just so weird to me
Another issue: The Banner renders, aka the characters (layers, I suppose) aren't publicly available anywhere. He'd have to completely remake those as well, and move some of those around as well to match up the new positions of characters. No one goes into that much effort for a leak.

And GameXplain has gone completely dark on the issue, which makes me think it's legitimate. They went over every other theory, but came up with a short sham video on this and didn't bother anymore, despite many more developments on the leak.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Hourly reminder that as far as Microsoft reps go, Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, and the rest of those self-owning whizzbangs are merely waiting in the shadow of the true contender.

Space Cadet from 3D Space Cadet Pinball, as first seen on the Windows 95 (and later, ported to the Windows XP).

Throw in the Pinball Board as a stage, give this an Ultimate Remix, and bundle his download code with the purchase of any Microsoft Office application.

sora ltd job offer when

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
Skimmed through 30 pages I'd missed here, no new developments I can see, looks like the leak is real to me

Get the **** in, come to papa Banjo

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hourly reminder that as far as Microsoft reps go, Banjo, Steve, Master Chief, and the rest of those self-owning whizzbangs are merely waiting in the shadow of the true contender.

Space Cadet from 3D Space Cadet Pinball, as first seen on the Windows 95 (and later, ported to the Windows XP).

Throw in the Pinball Board as a stage, give this an Ultimate Remix, and bundle his download code with the purchase of any Microsoft Office application.

sora ltd job offer when
you have no right to make me feel this way Sehnkurai.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So Agumon would be fair game too under this definition? Also ROB was a Video Game Accessory never forget.
I think Agumon is arguably more so, a toy is usually just plastic parts. The digimon toy had an electronic component, digital interface, objectives and games. It was literally its own handheld gaming console... Much like game & watch or even the Pikachu tamagitchi type thing.

Yeah, speaking to ROB, the Smash roster does have characters that did not originate in video games. I've tried using this arguement to substantiate Goku's possible inclusion. However there's one specific detail that seperates them... Is characters such as ROB that was a perifial and Lucario as an anime/ anime movie character... Theyre owned by Nintendo and closely associated with games. Because Goku isnt owned by Nintendo, I feel its not a super valid comparison.

I think thats why you see support for hanafuda cards (sorry if I butchered the name). Not a game character, but owned by Nintendo.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hmmm
Probably for Tournament mode (and just a general "room system" as well).
Spirits mode is battle royale confirmed
A Battle Royale, you say?

Tournament of Power confirmed.
what irritates me a lot about trying to disprove the leak is the following:

If this was indeed a fake, why would the leaker go through all the hassle of

- designing new renders that match the artstyle
- blurring out said new renders or specifically recording them in a blurry way (If i created something authentic, i want the world to see what I did)
- rearranging the entire mural
- actively contradict the "Incineroar hype train"
- create or link to a real person who worked at a french printing company
- research said company to have ties with Namco Bandai
- connection the topics of smash to the Grinch

All the while screwing up on some minor background elements of the banner? the amount of work and risk it would take to fake everything stated (and more) kind of makes me believe that, in case it was all fabricated, the perpetrator would have thought of EVERYTHING else...it's just so weird to me
Individually, you can tackle all of these; however, you shouldn't really treat them as just individual problems, they are parts of a whole.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice

sora ltd job offer when
That's a great Microsoft rep, but I feel like you need to cover your bases first, and this is who should be the true main Microsoft rep, the Mario of Microsoft.

8a9.jpg.gif

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Another issue: The Banner renders, aka the characters (layers, I suppose) aren't publicly available anywhere. He'd have to completely remake those as well, and move some of those around as well to match up the new positions of characters. No one goes into that much effort for a leak.
Nope, that's actually incredibly easy, you don't have to even think about remaking those. Omni did it to like 4 or 5 characters in about half an hour or even less. The hardest part is repainting the spot behind them, but even then Photoshop has so many tools that facilitate that.

And... yes, people DO go to that much effort for a leak. It might not be just one person either. Have we forgotten about the fake Nintendo NX?

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301

And GameXplain has gone completely dark on the issue, which makes me think it's legitimate. They went over every other theory, but came up with a short sham video on this and didn't bother anymore, despite many more developments on the leak.
Only the smaller smash channels are tackling this head on, despite the risks. You'd think GX, SW, SL & NL would actually go out of their way to dip and dodge questions pertaining to the Grinch leak.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
So nintendo's sent out a ****ton of tweets about the Wendy's tour and apparently France has a smash demo too

Has anyone combed through em for more hints/clues?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
I think Agumon is arguably more so, a toy is usually just plastic parts. The digimon toy had an electronic component, digital interface, objectives and games. It was literally its own handheld gaming console... Much like game & watch or even the Pikachu tamagitchi type thing.

Yeah, speaking to ROB, the Smash roster does have characters that did not originate in video games. I've tried using this arguement to substantiate Goku's possible inclusion. However there's one specific detail that seperates them... Is characters such as ROB that was a perifial and Lucario as an anime/ anime movie character... Theyre owned by Nintendo and closely associated with games. Because Goku isnt owned by Nintendo, I feel its not a super valid comparison.

I think thats why you see support for hanafuda cards (sorry if I butchered the name). Not a game character, but owned by Nintendo.
IF an anime character is going to be in Smash, itll be either a character who originated from a video game in which the anime is somehow more popular than the game. Or if it's a Character whos video game series overshadows its original anime. Sort of like how the Witcher Games overshadow the Witcher Books and now were back to Geralt for Smash

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
IF an anime character is going to be in Smash, itll be either a character who originated from a video game in which the anime is somehow more popular than the game. Or if it's a Character whos video game series overshadows its original anime. Sort of like how the Witcher Games overshadow the Witcher Books and now were back to Geralt for Smash
No. Geralt in Smash is a ****ing garbage pick. We need Naked Geralt In Bathtub instead

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
OH my god
Hmmm
PLEASEaddalobbysystemPLEASEaddalobbysystemPLEASEaddalobbysystemPLEASEaddalobbysystem!

Oh my god if we could have actual lobbies I would DIE

SushiRoll

Smash Apprentice

sora ltd job offer when
I think you mean the Mine Sweeper.

Akiak

Smash Ace
So my main counter-argument to this would be: how do you know the 3rd rock actually is in the character banners? What if it was only added to the E3 banner specifically?

Having said that, I've been spending some time on it myself and unfortunately I've come out of it with a lot more points for #teamfake than #teamreal...

There's like 3 different spots where the E3 banner matches the character banners, but not the leak.

As far as proof that the E3 background is actually different from the character backgrounds, I couldn't really find much, except maybe the small tower on the island in the middle...(it seems to be missing from the E3 banner, or perhaps replaced by two smaller towers). Looking at it again though I'm not convinced...

All this being said, I still don't think any of this is hard proof of it being fake. Mainly it's because the level of effort required just seems unrealistic to me, and all these small changes could always be things that the official art team are making for specific purposes...

Also the leak just feels real, particularly the character poses seem very on point and they don't stand out at all...
So, in conclusion, I actually don't think we can prove this leak to be fake, unless something big (contradiction or mistake) shows up.

However, it could be proven real, although I haven't been able to...

In particular, there is one last path that hasn't been explored, which would take quite a bit of time and effort and might not result in anything at all:

Basically you take every iteration of the character banner, and highlight all the areas which are hidden throughout all iterations

If we believe the leak is fake (and the leaker didn't have access to the E3 banner), then all of these hidden areas should show obvious guesswork on the leaker's part (i.e. none of them should exactly match the E3 banner)

If any of these parts actually happens to match and couldn't be reasonably guessed by the leaker, then everything basically falls apart and the leak is real.

I don't think I can do this myself, but if anyone wants to try...

osby

Smash Obsessed
OH my god

PLEASEaddalobbysystemPLEASEaddalobbysystemPLEASEaddalobbysystemPLEASEaddalobbysystem!

Oh my god if we could have actual lobbies I would DIE
Actual lobbies? *glances at Miiverse* This sounds like a great idea that definitely won't end up in flames.

Untouch

Smash Master
So nintendo's sent out a ****ton of tweets about the Wendy's tour and apparently France has a smash demo too

Has anyone combed through em for more hints/clues?
There's barely any footage of the PGW stuff, I can't really tell if it's a new demo, it doesn't look like it (Ridley still has his head cut off in his character icon for example).

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'd actually consider Miku a video game character. If we are going to nitpick too much R.O.B. and Miis also wouldn't count because they are a toy and an app, respectively.
Yeah, i've tried using this argument/ comparison in the past, to help substantiate or rationalize Goku's possible inclusion. I feel like ROB, Mii's, and Lucario are exceptions because they're Nintendo properties. It's much like seeing support for hanafuda cards, or parabo & satebo.

I'm sure if Goku or Hatsune Miku had originated as they did, but were Nintendo properties they would have a much more realizable chance of appearing in Smash.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
That's a great Microsoft rep, but I feel like you need to cover your bases first, and this is who should be the true main Microsoft rep, the Mario of Microsoft.

View attachment 172670
This is actually impressive!
And if Microsoft would join the fight, I wouldn't mind a joke character like this, honestly.
It's not from a videogame, but at least is from some interactive software.

And on the same subject, I'm not a supporter of Miku, I don't care at all, but IMO she would make a lot of sense.
She is both popular and recognizable, has a following outside the Smash fanbase, and would make the whole Internet talk about the game.
People seriously underestimate her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom