• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fablemad

Smash Journeyman
Hey boys I'm back after 4 years just to drop a reminder:
wariolol.jpg
I refuse to be in 4chan collages for 4 years again. #teamreal this is literally ESRB 2.0 except with even less contradicting evidence

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah. If WWE can still go to Saudi Arbia despite massive controversy, and if Mario still can’t get laid after 30+ years of saving Peach, Sonic is perfectly fine
No kidding. Compared to him, Gex is dead and gone, Earthworm Jim's in limbo, Bubsy flopped yet again and it's a wonder Sir Dan Fortesque got a second lease at life at all.

You say that as if it’s bad for him to not die when his series still makes some good money despite having some major bads compared to his more major goods
I mean, people still buy Superman comics, even though it's hella hard for him to be killed at all.

Wait? Really? Man, I wish that happened now...
TatsuCap had a lot of planned characters that got scrapped, even Berg Katse and Speedy Cerviche would have got in if they didn't falter (the latter, especially, since they were surprised Westerners actually liked Samurai Pizza Cats/Kyatto Ninden Teyandee).

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
That's like if Captain Falcon/Kirby/Marth/Sonic was going to be in a J-Stars game because they appeared in an anime. But in all seriousness, that would be a highly irregularity since he is and will always be an anime character first, game character second.
I'm not saying the exception is at all relatively likely to happen. I'm saying hypothetically if a non-video game character that wasnt owned by Nintendo were to ever get into Smash, Goku is the number one contender for that. Just based purely on Dragon Balls contribution to video games, which actually out shines the majority of the Smash roster, plus Bamco's involvement, plus the timing of Dragon Balls recent mega success in the console and mobile markets.

Like any other character wouldnt hold a candle to Goku's gaming contributions (besides other gaming characters) Plus like he's likely the real winner of the ballot.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I personally think it was better than those two, but of course, what do I know?

Also, aren't Mario games are like that, too? You know Mario is going to rescue Peach, but the real story is how is he going to do it.
I was actually ok with the Star Wars movies til Last Jedi.. Rogue One was OK but it wasn't what i was originally advertized which is Private Ryan in StarWars.. After that... Let's not open the can of worms.
Another point: The Star Wars writers need to learn how to take criticism (this applies regardless of what was said or why, attacking the fans because they don't like your movie is not cool).
Also, alienating the biggest portion of your fanbase is a terrible business decision.

Anyway, this is super off-topic and something I don't really care to discuss further, so... *shrug*

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
This has been extremely entertaining either way. As a smasher who already got who I wanted, I'm looking at this through fairly neutral eyes. Ideally, I want everyone to get who they want because I'm not the spiteful type. I WANT this to be real because this would be a crazy cool roster.

But I've been doing a bit of detective work and I'm not sure about a few things. Here's some food for thought...

-The actual picture of this leak is a red herring. Nothing is going to be proven about it one way or another within reason, but that's okay because the real info is in the alleged circumstances behind it.

-Both Marina and ACP-PLV are real companies with a history that stretches back at least a decade. You can use the Wayback Machine to see some of ACP-PLV's earlier websites, and they didn't actually put up a site until 2007: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.acp-plv.fr You can even see where they used to be and where they moved to more recently.

This building matches the picture on their website, but this was from 2013, when they were still at a different location:
https://www.google.fr/maps/place/AC...0x2256b63476ad2c21!8m2!3d48.425551!4d1.522273

The current site, with location photo at the top:
https://www.acp-plv.fr/

If you pan around in Google maps, you can see that this building is rather large, meaning this company is definitely doing well enough for itself that it can afford a building like this, and bag a high profile client like Nintendo/Bamco.

But here's where the issues come in: Eric Bricard is somewhat of a phantom. There's very little info about him. What's even more strange is that, although ACP-PLV must have at least 20-30 employees, Eric's newest LinkedIn profile is the only one actually associated with the company's autogenerated profile on LinkedIn:
https://www.linkedin.com/company/acp-plv-atelier-création-production/

Yet he's definitely not the only employee:
https://www.linkedin.com/search/results/all/?keywords=acp-plv&origin=GLOBAL_SEARCH_HEADER

All of this could mean nothing at all, it could just be Eric haphazardly building a profile, but it's weird that there definitely are real ACP-PLV employees out there that either are associated with a different page for the company (which I might not be able to see for some reason) and have proper profiles whereas Eric doesn't even have a picture.

What I feel like would help is to get more confirmation from the company itself. From what I understand, we're going on the word of 1-2 people that Bricard actually works here, is that right?

And some brave/stupid Microsoft employee could hypothetically look up Bricard's Microsoft account and see when the recent LinkedIn page tying him to ACP was created, though be warned that this IS a fireable offense….
We did have a small news company reach out to ACP and they apparently got confirmation he worked there. They also reached out to Eric himself who denied ever knowing about it, but given the LinkedIn shenanigans that's a questionable statement

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying the exception is at all relatively likely to happen. I'm saying hypothetically if a non-video game character that wasnt owned by Nintendo were to ever get into Smash, Goku is the number one contender for that.
Personally I would think Hatsune Miku would be a shoe-in for that niche. Doesn't Sega own her?

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301
StarTropics is obscure, sure, but doesn't it have the opposite problem that every other game you listed has, in that it was never released in Japan?
Yeah, it's kind of a back and forth thing since no one knew who Takamaru was until he was revealed in Smash 4 as an assist trophy and his popularity was boosted by then, even his game was released on the Virtual Console and he also has a Mii Costume which makes me sad since some of the characters revealed originated as a Mii Costume (:ultkrool:, :ultinkling:, :ultchrom: & :ultisabelle:)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm not saying the exception is at all relatively likely to happen. I'm saying hypothetically if a non-video game character that wasnt owned by Nintendo were to ever get into Smash, Goku is the number one contender for that. Just based purely on Dragon Balls contribution to video games, which actually out shines the majority of the Smash roster, plus Bamco's involvement, plus the timing of Dragon Balls recent mega success in the console and mobile markets.

Like any other character wouldnt hold a candle to Goku's gaming contributions (besides other gaming characters) Plus like he's likely the real winner of the ballot.
Uh... Mickey Mouse?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No kidding. Compared to him, Gex is dead and gone, Earthworm Jim's in limbo, Bubsy flopped yet again and it's a wonder Sir Dan Fortesque got a second lease at life at all
And Crash is only just making a comeback of sorts
I mean, people still buy Superman comics, even though it's hella hard for him to be killed at all.
It’s hard to kill many superheroes, especiallly the top stars like Spidey, but that’s to be expected with them

shaggypatriot12

Smash Cadet
The more I think about reasons why the background in the leaked mural would be different than the E3 mural, I think I have a reason that finally satisfies me. The leak showed the mural wrapped in a circular fashion, meant to be some sort of circular display..what if that display was meant to have a lightsource in the middle, almost like a lampshade or something youd hang from the top of your store ceiling next to the lights? In that case it would make perfect sense why the details behind the characters in the background would be removed. When you have light shining through you dont want mountain peaks/waterfalls and whatnot to show through the character, you want the character to be solid. Not sure if this has been discussed yet, apologies if it has. I literally just thought of this while I was in the shower and had to get my thoughts out.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wasn’t there also a rumor saying Lucina would be in the Switch version of Soul Calibur 6? Granted a Switch version hasn’t been announced (yet!) but still

Akiak

Smash Ace
Here's all the big hidden parts who have been wrong so far. Probably more to come if Artsy continue the banners crop out
  • Orange: Dedede hide the 3rd rock, the only one missing.
  • Black: Zelda and Cloud hidding the spot. The only thing visible is the tip of the left crystal over Cloud knee. Artsy said he don't see it but I think we can see one blue crystal in the leaked picture. So he reproduce the only visible crystal and left the other (Again getting everything right except what's hidden)
  • Red: Hidden by boswer the whole time. He get the iceberg shown on the left of lucario on some banners and miss completely the island who is hidden. Again get every details right except the one hidden.
Bonus: The missing island is in the in game battlefield. Why would Nintendo change the art that much since E3 that it lost an "In Game" island. I don't think this island have been added for E3 only. The battlefield just look more empty with less accuracy with the real in game battlefield without it.

https://i.imgur.com/93d3wdR.jpg
So my main counter-argument to this would be: how do you know the 3rd rock actually is in the character banners? What if it was only added to the E3 banner specifically?

Having said that, I've been spending some time on it myself and unfortunately I've come out of it with a lot more points for #teamfake than #teamreal...

There's like 3 different spots where the E3 banner matches the character banners, but not the leak.

As far as proof that the E3 background is actually different from the character backgrounds, I couldn't really find much, except maybe the small tower on the island in the middle...(it seems to be missing from the E3 banner, or perhaps replaced by two smaller towers). Looking at it again though I'm not convinced...

All this being said, I still don't think any of this is hard proof of it being fake. Mainly it's because the level of effort required just seems unrealistic to me, and all these small changes could always be things that the official art team are making for specific purposes...

Also the leak just feels real, particularly the character poses seem very on point and they don't stand out at all...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Personally I would think Hatsune Miku would be a shoe-in for that niche. Doesn't Sega own her?
Hatsune Miku I think is owned by Cryptic or some company like that... Sega has done a lot of the games... And probably owns an aspect of them... But the characters rights specifically are likely another company.

This isn't a popular statement, but I think one could make a compelling argument that Hatsune Miku could technically be considered a video game character...

What exactly is the definition of a video game? A piece of software that is manipulates digital data for entertainment... I know ppl dont like considering voice software a video game... But if you wanna get down to the nitty gritty of what exactly a video game is.... Maybe most software that can have digital manipulation is...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wasn’t there also a rumor saying Lucina would be in the Switch version of Soul Calibur 6? Granted a Switch version hasn’t been announced (yet!) but still
Might aswell make Lucina be in everything that involves a sword because I want that (maybe make her the face of Fire Emblem while they’re at it)

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Hey boys I'm back after 4 years just to drop a reminder:
View attachment 172661I refuse to be in 4chan collages for 4 years again. #teamreal this is literally ESRB 2.0 except with even less contradicting evidence
It literally is not by a long shot. That render of Wario is 100% clearer than what we have now.

But then, there's also a reason your post isn't made fun of like the Shulk -> Little Mac one. This one's actually kinda creepy because it IS incredibly similar, even if the angle doesn't fully match.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Plot twist: it’s actually Shulk

or Fiora to make up for her not being playable in Ultimate

Where did that rumor originate anyway?

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
Hatsune Miku I think is owned by Cryptic or some company like that... Sega has done a lot of the games... And probably owns an aspect of them... But the characters rights specifically are likely another company.

This isn't a popular statement, but I think one could make a compelling argument that Hatsune Miku could technically be considered a video game character...

What exactly is the definition of a video game? A piece of software that is manipulates digital data for entertainment... I know ppl dont like considering voice software a video game... But if you wanna get down to the nitty gritty of what exactly a video game is.... Maybe most software that can have digital manipulation is...
So Agumon would be fair game too under this definition? Also ROB was a Video Game Accessory never forget.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I think Project Soul actively denied that there would be a Switch version of SC6 unfortunately.
That works for me, though; I don't want to have to choose between the PS4 version and a Switch version, especially if they have unique characters.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I'd actually consider Miku a video game character. If we are going to nitpick too much R.O.B. and Miis also wouldn't count because they are a toy and an app, respectively.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'd actually consider Miku a video game character. If we are going to nitpick too much R.O.B. and Miis also wouldn't count because they are a toy and an app, respectively.
But both of those specifically originate from a video game context (R.O.B being an add on ala the LightGun, and Miis being avatars for the Wii).

Miku does not originate from video games, she's a virtual pop star. It's like saying Gorillaz are video game characters (if they were to have video games)

Xiaolinspiration

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-4926-8462-7301
Except they BOTH originate with a Nintendo console as Miku is a program just like the other Vocaloids.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Online tourney? Up to 32 players? At ultimate?
Hmmm

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
what irritates me a lot about trying to disprove the leak is the following:

If this was indeed a fake, why would the leaker go through all the hassle of

- designing new renders that match the artstyle
- blurring out said new renders or specifically recording them in a blurry way (If i created something authentic, i want the world to see what I did)
- rearranging the entire mural
- actively contradict the "Incineroar hype train"
- create or link to a real person who worked at a french printing company
- research said company to have ties with Namco Bandai
- connection the topics of smash to the Grinch

All the while screwing up on some minor background elements of the banner? the amount of work and risk it would take to fake everything stated (and more) kind of makes me believe that, in case it was all fabricated, the perpetrator would have thought of EVERYTHING else...it's just so weird to me

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Online battle? Up to 32 players? At ultimate?
Hmmm
I'd guess that's almost certainly for Online tournaments.

Which is awesome, in theory.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
Yup, sure was, here’s a pic of it. Apparently called the Love Giant and there’s a trophy for Hate Giant too.

View attachment 172660
I love how Melee's trophies introduced me to so many weird and wonderful characters. Brawl, too. For some reason, I didn't get drawn into the trophies anywhere near as much in Smash 4...

BRB I'm gonna go trophy binge.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Online tourney? Up to 32 players? At ultimate?
Hmmm
Wasn't Online Tournament already confirmed though? Or am I crazy

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
But both of those specifically originate from a video game context (R.O.B being an add on ala the LightGun, and Miis being avatars for the Wii).

Miku does not originate from video games, she's a virtual pop star. It's like saying Gorillaz are video game characters (if they were to have video games)
Well no specifically shes from a Voice Synthesis Software.. Loose definiton of a Video game but we got Miis and ROB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom