• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Especially when one remembers the game's director saying things like "If you're expecting trailers all the way up until release, you're sorely mistaken" and "We still have a few more" before Isabelle.

8 characters is not a "few", so either he outright lied (which is a little too tinfoil for me to believe), or yeah, there's probably only like 3 or so left counting Echos at most.
TBH that's one of the worst points to use imo
Sakurai's always going to undersell himself. I understand this will cause controversy to say.

5 newcomer trailers is indeed possible. Especially if it's "Everyone is Here! 2.0" with them being introduced as a surprise at the end. The Echoes are nothing hard imo just throw them in like they did with DS and Chrom.

Newcomer trailers can take a minute at most. I think 5 unique newcomers can classify as a "few".

D

Deleted member

I thought his "few more" comment was about Echos? I could have sworn that he said he had a few more to reveal after he was showing Chrom and all of them. Maybe I am remembering wrong.
It's possible, but I think he meant characters in general, as before he said that, he said "We plan to show off the design of every fighter before release", so I don't think that's what he meant, unfortunately.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
:psycho:
I wonder if any of the mechanics have changed then, or if they just changed the smoke effect and some saturation stuff.
Regarding the saturation: Has anyone compared streams from this demo and the E3 one to make sure it isn't the monitor?

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
When they can't finish a character in time in the past they aren't in the game; no examples of an unfinished character being "saved" for DLC from what I understand.

Entirely different situations, I think you know that.
This is only the second game with DLC. The only characters that we have reason to believe were unfinished in Smash 4 - Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids - would not be able to work on 3DS anyway. So there is little precedent for this in the context of Smash.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Cool!

I imported Zero and Ao a while back; Ao is one of my favorites in the entire series. I'm tempted to play Cold Steel 3, but I'm replaying older games in the series to fill the void (and recap some of the lore) and hoping that the game makes it to the US before something far like 2021 lol. I just like the English voices in Cold Steel I guess. Particularly Team's; his voice actor is down to earth and a total nerd and I love it.
Yeah I really like the English cast, I adore both the dub and sub nowadays though and i'm willing to jump into it while waiting, I'm more than willing to buy stuff over and over again.

Zero and AO are amazing yeah. I love all the games and pretty much all the characters, and i'd pay an arm and a leg to get Rean into Smash, but that sadly will never actually be in the cards, feel like if Falcom ever did get anything in Smash it'd be Adol from Ys, which i'd be ok with too but this is so purely hypothetical it hurts me to even say haha. 0.01% chance of ever being plausible.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This is only the second game with DLC. The only characters that we have reason to believe were unfinished in Smash 4 - Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids - would not be able to work on 3DS anyway. So there is little precedent for this in the context of Smash.
Thank you for reminding me, good point.
But I still don't believe they'd "hold off" like that. Plus, why would Incineroar, of all characters, go unfinished? Seems pretty crazy to me.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
So let's say the Grinch Leak is the final base roster and Incineroar is an early DLC character (heck, maybe he'd even be free as a demonstration of goodwill from Nintendo)...

In that scenario, I'd be very interested to know just how Incineroar somehow slipped through the cracks alongside the likes of Ridley, Simon, and Isabelle, but Sakurai somehow managed to keep huge characters like Banjo, Geno, and Isaac completely under wraps. That'd be absolutely crazy. Then again, K. Rool did remain a secret until the 8/8 Direct, so they've already demonstrated that they can still keep some secrets.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
That seems to be the tournament that will happen in the Nintendo Live event
Curious how they upped the stream like a week earlier, but nice

IcyBrawler

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I'm confused. Real quick: Is it Chorus Men or Chorus Kids? I've seen it both ways and I don't understand the difference -- if any.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Something is definitely up with incineroar the more im hearing about stuff.

But I have no reason not to think he might simply be DLC or something and the banner is in fact base roster, not sure but something is odd with incineroar behind the scenes of this leak.
Please keep at it my dude! You're doing good work.

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
This is NOT a direct, google translate says it is "Super Smash Brawl Smash Brothers SPECIAL Premium Fight Tokyo Competition Elementary School Children Organization (First Round ~ Quarterfinals) "

Odd how they're having this at the same time as the Nintendo Live event.
You are totally because there’s going to be a tournament right? But man, Smashboards can’t handle more hype!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I just had a thought: if the leak was real, would anyone be upset about it for when the characters each get revealed in their trailers, you probably won't be that surprised because you knew of them for a while? Would you have wished that they weren't leaked beforehand so that you would be surprised even more?

It's one of the downsides of having leaks, they make things rather less exciting if they turn out real.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
is actually a diagram, which is obvious in retrospect so I feel silly...
What do you mean by a diagram? A graph?
It doesn't seem like a graph, it seems more like a technical view mixed with render of a promotional cardboard thing that hangs from the ceiling with some wires/ropes.
It's the same with the Grinch with the gift at the bottom right, they're intended to be hanging promotional graphics.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I wouldn't be surprised if Inconeroar is a carry over from an earlier expected date.

In a scenario where Sakurai expected to have the game done earlier than Winter 2018, there's a possibility Incineroar was going to be there to represent the newest games, Pokemon Sun/Moon.

In house, it may have been pushed back at some point, leading to Game Freak asking them to hold off, since Let's Go was going to end up releasing before it.

So, Incineroar is cut early into development, but still late enough for leakers to find out info.

Of course that's all conjecture, since we don't know anything about the state of Incineroar, but things like this happen in game development all the time. A new Pokemon could've simply been low priority for Sakurai, coupled with Game Freak telling him to hold off, and you have a recipe for a character to end up on the cutting room floor.
Honestly I don't see that mattering that much. Pokemon generally reps its newest gen, regardless of how far Smash releases from it or what spin offs are out at that pokemon.
And we know pokemon at least last time got a spot in the roster before it was even decided who was going to fill it so Im thinking TPC tends to get a bit of special treatment there.

Though all that is moot tmk as from what I know most seem to think that the roster here was all decided pretty quickly and early into development.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I just had a thought: if the leak was real, would anyone be upset about it for when the characters each get revealed in their trailers, you probably won't be that surprised because you knew of them for a while? Would you have wished that they weren't leaked beforehand so that you would be surprised even more?

It's one of the downsides of having leaks, they make things rather less exciting if they turn out real.
You kidding? Things are more exciting. We won't know if it's real or not until the Direct no matter what. So I'll be on the edge of my seat for 13 days.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I believe that the direct will be on Wednesday 7th November. First because the direct will be one month before release date Friday 7th December. Second the special smash direct we had was also on Wednesday and it was the 8th august.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
if that's already up and counting down, y'think that rules out a direct between now and then? at least we have a timeframe we know not to expect anything? don't think i'd call that a good thing but

KMDP

Smash Legend
Is it another tournament? I can't read Ukrainian...
It's a tournament.

Per Google Translate: "Super Smash Brothers SPECIAL Premium Fight Tokyo Competition Elementary School Children Organization (First Round ~ Quarterfinals)"

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253

Don't care about surprises anymore, just end this drought

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
About Zinith Zinith Zinith Zinith .

My first encounter with him was after E3, and the first things I saw him say was complaining repeatedly about Luigi and Yoshi being left for last in the "Everyone is Here!" trailer. Needless to say, this left a bad first impression.

At first I thought his Yoshi love was annoying, but over time it became normal to me, and by a few weeks later it had become endearing.

Zinith helping me with my last supporter count just warmed him to me even more.

Shine on, you Crazy Dinosaur!
Thanks. I try to use my Yoshi advocacy in the most appropriate manner I can.

And yes, the way he and Luigi were revealed did rub me the wrong way in the context of immediately after announcement. But I've moved on from it...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You kidding? Things are more exciting. We won't know if it's real or not until the Direct no matter what. So I'll be on the edge of my seat for 13 days.
Whatever. Back to what I said though, no one is going to rub it in others' faces if the leak is either real or fake, right? No I-told-you-so's?

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627

I generally don't let how I find out about characters being in the game decide how excited I will be. Isabelle was leaked but I was giddy as can be when she was announced since she was someone I really wanted. The excitement that they will actually be there is more important to me than the one time surprise factor

D

Deleted member

Honestly no, I've been so sick of this info drought (yeah yeah pre-brawl was worse or whatever if you do something wrong it doesn't excuse you fron doing wrong again) that you could leak it to me that only Incineroar will be our final newconer as a bowser echo and I wouldn't even care

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Personally, I would still be hyped to see the trailers play out.

Would kind of suck, but that would pass as soon as I see either Banjo or Geno in a glorious HD cinematic.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I can't speak for anybody but myself, but for me I'd like to know ASAP. Not knowing creates anxiety, especially when hints, rumors, and now this leak tend to be pointing in one direction (for the character I care most about). Problem is, this leak isn't conclusive so I still "don't know". So I will still be surprised quite a bit if it turned out to be real (or fake, and Banjo's still in). However, one downside is rather than going "No way!" I'd be going "Oh, thank goodness." But, that's the risk I took when I signed up for this website. :upsidedown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom