• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjokazzo

Smash Cadet
Hmmmm

Derrick is streaming right now and absolutely refusing a discussion on the leak. They haven't paid any attention to the facts past the initial image, but derrick says he'd love if its real but doesn't see how they could have 5 trailers back to back.

I really think they're hiding something here. GX never strays from leaks with this much evidence.
Pretty sure is like someone said, they dont want to talk about it because they are afraid to lose their free review copy

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Maybe the footage was from a Squad Strike and Isaac had just been KOed but the item he summons for an attack hadn't despawned yet.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Who would win?

A ton of graphic designers and artists coming out to point out valid discrepencies with the backgrounds of a huge leak as well as numerous reliable insiders basically saying "no" to it

Or...

One leaf-y orb.
Leaf-y orb. None of the designers or artists really said anything worth talking about, in my opinion.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
Who would win?

A ton of graphic designers and artists coming out to point out valid discrepencies with the backgrounds of a huge leak as well as numerous reliable insiders basically saying "no" to it

Or...

One leaf-y orb.
I'm gonna go with the orb.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
GameXPlain does 15 minute discussion videos on a still that takes most people a minute to talk about.

It is kind of odd they won't discuss much about this mural leak.

I doubt they know something~~~, but they're a pretty clickbait happy sort of Youtube channel and this is primo clickbait.

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
Since I've been gone, some people on #teamfake went to #teamreluctantlytrueithink?

the people who remain in #teamfake...

i respect the stubbornness tbh lmao what a ****in ride guys.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Smash fans have been hounding everyone notable.

I'm not surprised they wanna steer clear of this.
And miss out on the enormous amount views despite this being their thing?! That's the issue--which is why I'm sure they know something, though I can see it working either way (real/damage control, fake/ignoring).

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmm

Derrick is streaming right now and absolutely refusing a discussion on the leak. They haven't paid any attention to the facts past the initial image, but derrick says he'd love if its real but doesn't see how they could have 5 trailers back to back.

I really think they're hiding something here. GX never strays from leaks with this much evidence.
It only sounds like more confirmation that insiders have been told to go for the damage control.

It's obvious after the plant thing that it must be true so the only thing they can do is to not further spread it.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
>Rathalos reference
>Renewing GS trademark
>Assist Trophy MIA
>Grinch leak backed up with evidence
>Growth sprout item
And don't forget what other franchise was renewed along GS? RHYTHM HEAVEN

Edit: Mach Rider was also renewed a bit before that in May of this year.

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
The appearance of this two-leafed Item is especially apropos when you consider the properties of the two-leaf clover. Where the four-leaf is for luck, and the three-leaf for faith/hope/love, the two-leaf reveals all.

Which was the cause of the Irish potato famine, as you history nerds will recall. It's not that they had a shortage of potatoes, but that so many went mad from what they saw upon plucking two-leaf clovers that they starved themselves.

Which is why there are no more two-leaf clovers around. Had to burn them had to burn them had to burn

I dunno. Just thought it was a neat connection. :)

Hopefully the true identity of this mysterious Item, when revealed, does not cause any of us here to go mad. Haha.

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman
Still trying to avoid any definitive judgement on the leak's validity (full disclosure: I want it to be) -- I think this new item is definitely an interesting twist, but I'd not go so far as to it's definitely (or even likely, really) tied to GS + Isaac. A sprout is as close to the simplest design one can get, and there are no particularly defining traits of either the Growth psynergy icon or the Smash item that make them seem like they've got an unmistakable niche in the sprout design canon. I think that if we had seen this item during a time in the speculation cycle where Isaac seemed like a longshot, we'd have plenty of other franchises to connect it to instead.

I will say -- I do think it makes some sense, speculatively, to find a connection between Isaac using what looks like specifically Growth in the artwork and a potential Growth item. And my mind did go right to Growth when I saw it... but I've also been replaying Golden Sun and Dark Dawn the past couple of days, so it's definitely been primed to be on my mind, haha.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Hmmm just trying to think of what sort of actions a sapling would indicate as far as item usage goes. My money is on the item doing something very similar to what Isaac can do (grows a large vine that can be climbed upon) but that it is not THE Golden sun item and is a completely original Smash item that just does the same thing.

Nickolas

Smash Rookie
NNID
pammygayle
Switch FC
SW-2147-8350-8331
This wouldn't be the first time Nintendo themselves spoiled a character, I remember Ganondorf and Lucario were leaked on the dojo before they were revealed in Brawl

D

Deleted member

Going to bed. I'll check back in at work tomorrow. I expect to see either full rebuttal of the leak or full confirmation via new evidence. If neither, word of a Direct for next week (as we will be entering November as of Thursday of next week) is also acceptable.

We're nearly a month away, Sakurai. This is your fault for giving the people 5 reveals inside of one month followed by a single reveal that satisfied only a small portion of the fanbase while larger portions were indifferent (and a small, vocal portion hated).

Either give us the final 2 (Kencineroar) or give us a trailer that hints at this leak being accurate. Quit your stalling. (I am of the belief that 5 newcomer trailers inside of one Direct would be a lot; if the leak is true, I dont think we'd get them all at once).

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
This may sound like a weird question, as I've never played the game, but what if the sprout is from Electroplankton?
I mean, Hanenbow is returning, so I wonder if that's a possibility.

Cheesehead302

Smash Rookie
Holy crap this is crazy; I know Nintendo has never really done anything like this in the past, but man does it seem like a pretty huge coincidence that they posted footage that included this specific item on today of all days.

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Yeah, after the item leak, I'm much more firm with the idea of it being real. If so, then this is officially the craziest true leak out there, even more so than ESRB. Literally everything that we had in mind (Incineroar, Vergeben, box theory, etc.) got blown out the ****ing window.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Going to bed. I'll check back in at work tomorrow. I expect to see either full rebuttal of the leak or full confirmation via new evidence. If neither, word of a Direct for next week (as we will be entering November as of Thursday of next week) is also acceptable.

We're nearly a month away, Sakurai. This is your fault for giving the people 5 reveals inside of one month followed by a single reveal that satisfied only a small portion of the fanbase while larger portions were indifferent (and a small, vocal portion hated).

Either give us the final 2 (Kencineroar) or give us a trailer that hints at this leak being accurate. Quit your stalling. (I am of the belief that 5 newcomer trailers inside of one Direct would be a lot; if the leak is true, I dont think we'd get them all at once).
Actually Isabelle was an incredibly popular reveal on twitter and reddit.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Everyone is in a frenzy, so let me say something in simple words to clarify what's happening.

All we have to go off of is the green sprout itself. There's no sprout item in Golden Sun that features a green bubble around it. This sprout thing could be anything, including a Smash exclusive item. The best we can do is compare the leaves and stem to other existing items, and I doubt we'll get far with just that.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Everyone is in a frenzy, so let me say clarify something in simple words.

All we have to go off of is the green sprout itself. There's no sprout item in Golden Sun that features a green bubble around it. This sprout thing could be anything, including a Smash exclusive item. The best we can do is compare the leaves and stem to other existing items, and I doubt we'll get far with just that.
Yea the bubble is what's stopping me in my tracks.

Anyone got an idea for how it can be GS AND have that bubble?

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Which is why I think it's a second healing item related to the field. If it was an original item to Smash. One that you pick up and "absorb" and is only for one person instead of multiple.
They added the item section to the site after 8/8, right? Which means if they redesigned it, it'd have been after that. Wouldn't they have noticed if it broke on flat stages before then?
But we already have plenty of "pick-up and absorb" healing items (Maxim tomato, heart container, even food). How many different healing items like this do we expect them to make? At least the actual healing field item heals multiple people in a fixed area, which at least is a new concept. But another new item has the same leaf logo as the healing field but only heals one person when picked up? Ehhh...

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
It only sounds like more confirmation that insiders have been told to go for the damage control.

It's obvious after the plant thing that it must be true so the only thing they can do is to not further spread it.
Wouldn't call it "obvious" but it can be a big factor.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's a 4Chan meme referring to younger Gen Xers and older Millenials who are starting to settle down and start a family, thusly adopting traits that are associated with suburban dads (such as an affinity for lawn care). As such, boomer picks refer to characters that only people playing during the NES-Gamecube era would identify.

What qualifies as a boomer pick generally varies, but its usually a character that hasn't been seen for awhile: some say Geno is a boomer pick, some say Banjo is a boomer pick, and some say Isaac is a boomer pick.
Ah, ****. So I'm a "gaming boomer"?

Don't look at the Sega Saturn in my room. And get off my lawn. You're ruining it!

In all seriousness, I recently bought a house, spent a weekend fixing the yard, built a fence, and when I hung the TV and said, "Man, we should get surround sound" my brother cracked up and said I was turning into my dad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom