• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Ignoring the glaring lack of John Cenaroar, this is a pretty good roster. But that said, i'm not that hype.
Sure it's great to know they're in the game (assuming it's real) but besides Geno i'm gonna need to see some gameplay and some great trailers to truly get excited.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
One way or the other I wish we'd get some sort of continuation to this.

Tipping it either way. Fake or real.

It's been like a rollercoaster but one of those old wooden ones with a lot of bumps and you're not sure it's the most safe rollercoaster to be on.

And then you flashback because you remember you've seen Final Destination 3 and you know how bad it can go when you're unprepared.

That?

That is this leak.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
This guy whose worked with Smashified (got his claims countered pretty hard IMO on the Banjo art) claims that the leaker will reveal themselves soon. Any weight to this, you think?

They’re on team fake.
He said that 17 hours ago

Wheres the leaker

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Actual link to the tweet?
Checked his Twitter, I didn't find anything. One half of Smashified is going all conspiratorial, trying to find anything in his power to debunk it, deleting tweets and whatnot. The other half is chill and like "could be real, wouldn't be surprised if not--definitely didn't have to be based on our design, it'd be pointless."

I'm gooooooing with the latter.

EDIT: Um, that's not saying he knows the leaker--that's him saying leakers like that usually come forward fast. So if they doooooon't...

Last edited:

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Looking at the gif, there seem to be less differences than what it seemed before. Though, there are some, and they are more deformations of existing elements than completely different stuff.
Such as the cloud in the upper left where Mii's sword is, or another one at the right edge of the first section of the picture (the cloud is there in the original too, but in the leak it's curved upward).
It seems to bring everything back to my initial theory that the background is legit but it has been deformed for some reason.
At this point it's not unlikely that it comes from the E3 picture, but why deforming it? What's the point, when you have the legit background?

If the leak is true, there would have been no reason to deform the picture;
The deformations seem still to suggest that's fake, but still, why the deformations? Maybe there were parts of the character artworks that needed some specific clouds behind them, and when they moved the characters they had to distort the sky to make some specific clouds match part of those characters? I don't know...
Hm, there was a curious case of a few real leaked screenshots that were actually modified to look fake, even though they were real. I think it was with Link? They altered Link's model so he would look off in screnshots on the 3DS, but the leak was true

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Hm, there was a curious case of a few real leaked screenshots that were actually modified to look fake, even though they were real. I think it was with Link? They altered Link's model so he would look off in screnshots on the 3DS, but the leak was true
i remember "Disablad"

doomedtacox

Smash Ace
Like why even make fighting game rosters anymore?

82 characters, 12 3rd party characters, 3 from Konami and Square Enix, 2 from Capcom and SEGA, 1 from Microsoft and Namco Bandai...

...like... how?

That would put us at as many 3rd party characters in Smash Ultimate as we had CHARACTERS in Smash 64.
I mean, you can top that by adding these supposedly leaked characters but like... this roster is CRAZY.

Sure adding Dixie Kong, Spring Man, Rex would add characters to the roster, but like... where after that?

Like... after that we are low on characters that if added even make an impact.

All I can think of are Echo Fighters (Big Boss, Black Knight, Funky Kong, Toad, Waluigi, etc) and just a few other such characters that are just smaller bleeps on the radar. [/QUOTE]

Man there are soooo many options after that. Goku, Steve, Master Chief, doomguy, dragon quest rep, fortnite rep, kratos, Monster Hunter, Tetris block, Mickey Mouse, Lara croft, captain toad, waluigi, skull kid (or many of the other possible LoZ reps), League of legends characters, I could go on forever.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ignoring the glaring lack of John Cenaroar, this is a pretty good roster. But that said, i'm not that hype.
Sure it's great to know they're in the game (assuming it's real) but besides Geno i'm gonna need to see some gameplay and some great trailers to truly get excited.
Join the club.
I know that feeling of melancholy, knowing your favorite characters won't make it in, but regardless hoping for a good game and being glad so many other people are happy.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Noipoi

Howdy!
Join the club.
I know that feeling of melancholy, knowing your favorite characters won't make it in, but regardless hoping for a good game and being glad so many other people are happy.
At least I latched onto Geno right at the last possible second so I can share in some of the hype for this leak. If I didn't play Mario rpg last month I don't know where i'd be.

D

Deleted member

At least I latched onto Geno right at the last possible second so I can share in some of the hype for this leak. If I didn't play Mario rpg last month I don't know where i'd be.
Just remember: Mario, Toadstool, Bowser. You'll need it for a very certain boss in a side-quest. You'll love it.

Penroze

The Surreal Deal
Switch FC
SW-7239-4479-0495
Well... we can say at least that this leak gave us something to do while we wait for actual news.

Also, I really want to see the scenario where the last Smash Direct starting with Sakurai saying "Remember when I said that you shouldn't expect a lot of newcomers? SIKE!" and then proceeds to reveal characters one after the other. That is the kind of trolling no one can be mad about.
Sakurai LIED TO US! I'M MAD! GRRRRRRRRR

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't think Skull Kid wants Mach Rider to ride him. Unless it's the Girl Mach Rider.

Actually, Skull Kid's a child. That's illegal.

Don't ride Skull Kid period.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I honestly really wanna know Vergeben's thoughts on this image leak. I mean, granted he knows nothing to do with it when he sees it, but still. I wonder what he'd think.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The weird part here is that the most recent artwork is less detailed and polished than the older one from 4 months ago. Also ESRB leak was very very clean even when blurry, this one is a hot mess of colors and shapes that we can't make out.
I can't believe after the Subspace Emissary cloud mess in late October/early November 2007 we are circling around to the same "let's look at the cloud" nonsense 11 years later.

We are all just slaves to the cloud, with no way of defeating them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What's "disabled"?
Part of the ESRB leak was tampered with to make it look fake when it was real.

It was a desperate attempt at a cover up once the leak went public.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A rumor ain't a leak until it's proven to be real. That's my only real thought regarding the past 24 hours.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
A rumor ain't a leak until it's proven to be real. That's my only real thought regarding the past 24 hours.
Here it's more like a leak isn't a rumour until it's proven false.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Part of the ESRB leak was tampered with to make it look fake when it was real.

It was a desperate attempt at a cover up once the leak went public.
the funny thing is that that leak and the esrb leak are kinda unrelated. They just came out at the same time as far as I remember

edit: no wait, now I remember. There were two completely separate people that were the ESRB leakers.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
"You shouldn't expect too many new characters, except you should"
- Sakurai
"My definition of a few and not too many changes every day, so should yours"

basically the entirety of Ultimate speculation

epicgordan

Smash Ace
O think there are only two possible scenarios to take into consideration that might disprove this leak as fake:

1. The expectation of receiving 5 unique fighters in a span of a single month. Although we have received huge swaths of characters in every Direct barring the September one so far (and I'm not counting Inkling since that was a teaser), we've technically only ever had two unique newcomers per major Presentation. Which would add up with what Vergeben had said concerning Incineroar and a Square Enix rep (with Ken being an Echo).

2. The reality of the matter of how irrationally obsessive some people might be. One of the reasons why so many text leaks appear that are almost always fake is because it's really easy and requires no effort whatsoever. But there are some leakers out there that will go to great lengths to fake a leak that is meant to look really convincing. Or to replicate some of the strategies of past leakers in order to capitalize on some past successes. Do I even need to remind you guys of the Agnes leak? Seriously, she's totally legit and everything!

While I am 90% sure this leak is real (a lot of these "inconsistencies" are optical illusions due to it being taken from a photograph--which I must remind you guys, photographs have no depth perception; nothing compares to the human eye), one should not completely rule out the fact that even if the guy who leaked this info was indeed a real employee at that printing/marketing company, that he may in fact just be an obsessive guy who has absolutely no scruples whatsoever in going to such extreme lengths in creating the most elaborate fake leak in the history of Smash Brothers.

It doesn't matter how pointless and meaningless it is to some of these people. There are people out there where any semblance of rationality is completely nonexistent. Even if they are not clinically insane, there are still tons of people in the world so consumed by the Sin of Sloth that they literally do not contribute anything to society, much less their own lives that may see absolutely nothing wrong completely wasting their own time and possibly putting their careers and livelihoods in jeopardy just for the sake of notoriety that simply doesn't exist.

So yeah, I am taking this with a grain of salt. But I still lean much more heavily towards it being real. Because I think it's real. But don't go around thinking that I'm just diluting myself. I can totally see some employee for a company with associations with one of the developers of the game being completely crazy enough to create such an elaborate leak even if it costs him everything. And yes, in this case, the guy that leaked it was definitely a guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom