• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Holy ****, Sakurai was planning the most hype and most incredible smash direct yet with all those fan favorite characters. High probability of a another story mode/adventure mode aswell. Also the guy who leaked this ****ed up big time. He’s going to get his *** sued off. Atleast he’s going down as a smash martyr.
Worst case, that's the Janitor who's snapped a shot of his desk and now he's in deep (what's French for doo-doo?) for letting info slip out by accident.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If this is real, Nintendo really dropped the ball on the timing of reveals.

With only like a month left to go, things are going to get leaked. If they wanted to avoid that, they probably shouldn't have waited this long.

God I hope it's real though, even though I'd feel bad for Sakurai and his team.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So had the fake banner leak been debunked yet?
People have been trying and failing. Doesn't mean it's real, as it is blurry so it hides the details, but I feel like the information we can gather from it overwhelmingly supports its authenticity over the nitpicks that have so far been presented.

That doesn't mean it's real, doesn't mean we should believe it--but as much as I've been trying to critique this, no one has come up with satisfying ways of debunking it.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Well, if this is real (most likely it is), Incineroar's absence will be a big red flag for Vergeben, that's for sure. Put him as DLC just doesn't make any sense for me.
If Incineroar is DLC, then that's worst case scenario for most Pokefans (other than Incineroar fans, obviously) -
  • It's entirely possible we'll only get one Pokemon DLC, which would mean Incineroar would be the only Pokemon we'd be getting in the foreseeable future.
  • If we do have two Pokemon as DLC, then the second one would likely be withheld as a Gen 8 advertisement. Which means still no real fan favourites.
  • If we somehow get three, then the chances are the third would be an echo rather than a fully fledged newcomer. There also wouldn't be much wriggle room - off the top of my head, the only characters I think we could really hope for are Raichu (Pikachu), Spheal (Jigglypuff), and maybe Zoroark (Lucario).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So many characters makes me think fake
But makes my heart hope
And now the world understands how I felt about the Richter/Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak

KMDP

Smash Legend
GOD DAMN IT

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERG YOU BETTER SHOW THE **** UP!

YO GOOFY *** MISSED A WHOLE LOT OF ****
Damn?

DAMN?
Not here.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
As I said the reason its obviously fake isn't because its blurred out which is a sign for those kind of things but because there's no way a Pokemon newcomer will be passed on being Nintendo's most popular franchise.

cothero

Smash Lord
Holy ****, Sakurai was planning the most hype and most incredible smash direct yet with all those fan favorite characters. High probability of a another story mode/adventure mode aswell. Also the guy who leaked this ****ed up big time. He’s going to get his *** sued off. Atleast he’s going down as a smash martyr.
He should have released the direct already, everyone was expecting a leak soon... That's a shame.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
Here’s my opinion on the newcomers if the leak is real...

Banjo&Kazooie: Wow, this is truly incredible! I’ve only played the XBLA trial version of the first game, but I had my fun! They’re a legacy character and I’m happy to see them brought into a new age!

Geno: Golly! It’s great to see him in 3D! I hope he’s fun to play! Having this confident puppet warrior from the stars playable is a dream come true!

Isaac: Ever since I saw him in Brawl I thought he was pretty cool! After researching him, he’s a very cool character and I hope he has a voice even though he’s mute in the first game.

Chorus kids: eh. They’re really silly looking so I’m looking forward to that! But I’m pretty neutral on em!

Mach Rider: The wild NES character this game seems very cool! I’d love to see some bike combat ala DMCV!

Shadow: I’ve always liked Shadow! Hope he’s cooler than Sonic!

Ken: American boy looking great! Always up for flaming shoryukens!

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Wait... What if all this is fake then it’s just a marking strategy to promote the movie Grinch?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What an OBVIOUS fake. They didn't put in a POKEMON newcomer?!
Pack it up boys
If you really think they're not gonna add a Pokemon newcomer then your solely mistaking. There's a reason a new one gets added for each Smash game being Nintendo's most popular franchise. This is the first sign to way this banner is obviously fake. Like they're gonna add a retro rep before a Pokemon rep.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Regarding some of the more common arguments against this:

"image blurry so fake"

The banner isn't the only piece of evidence. That blown up image you see isn't the only thing that was posted. Do research.

"too many character"

Your personal belief that there are too many newcomers is not convincing evidence

"anyonecanmakeafakeleak.jpeg"

Go make a wristband using original assets while re-organizing a massive mural to reveal hidden parts of renders and also make some unrelated movie renders. Then take a video of it. Go ahead. Do it.

"it has [x] so it's fake"

Very convincing, totally changed my mind.

"But Vergeben"

You mean the guy whose track record with other games is so spotty that not even r/kappa believes anything he says without concrete proof? Vergeben gets something wrong about a video game after acting like an *** about it, video at 11.

"But box"

Unsubstantiated fan pattern-spotting takes a back seat to physical media posted absentmindedly on snapchat by a verified employee of a company handling Bamco marketing materials.
Wait, wristband? Video? What?

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
As I said the reason its obviously fake isn't because its blurred out which is a sign for those kind of things but because there's no way a Pokemon newcomer will be passed on being Nintendo's most popular franchise.
Bringing back Pokemon Trainer is a pretty big deal. The series already has a ton of reps so it's not completely outlandish to think there's no newcomers.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Everyone who liked box theory likes box theory a lot,
But the grinch, whose new movie will be trash, did not,
The grinch hated Vergeben, the Box theory leak,
But the answers no one could quite seek,
It may be the 'tism post left a bad taste,
it may be his pokemon confirmation lacking haste,
But I think, the most likely reason of all,
would be that his roster was two sizes two small.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys what's going on-

Oh.

Oh.

OH.

"How the Grinch Leaked Smashmas, by Dr. Snapchat"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
>lunch break arrives at work
>turn on phone
>check Discord
>”SMASH LEAK HAPPENED”
>check here

My verdict...lack of Elma is a bit upsetting if true, but it’s the lack of Incineroar that makes me doubt this. So far none of the characters Verg said were playable have been deconfirmed or even absent in the final product, I doubt he’ll be Gematsu 2.0 in which Incineroar was planned but scrapped from the final product.

Plus as someone mentioned, the “leaker” has a LinkedIn page that states he’s a graphic designer so that’s also suspicious

Edink

Smash Cadet
People calling out Skull Kid under Mach Rider.

Thoughts? I think it's denial and I don't want to have hope on this one since Skull Kid was not popular in ballot era, but hey, for the sake of another discussion, even if is a short one.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If you really think they're not gonna add a Pokemon newcomer then your solely mistaking. There's a reason a new one gets added for each Smash game being Nintendo's most popular franchise. This is the first sign to way this banner is obviously fake. Like they're gonna add a retro rep before a Pokemon rep.
You do understand just how many fan-created rules this game has broken?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Zelda got a semi-clone in Brawl, nothing in SSB4, and probably nothing in Ultimate, and it's one of Nintendo's flagship titles. And Pokemon already has nine reps, three of which weren't in SSB4 and were brought back for Ultimate.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Why are people calling on Verg?
If this leak is correct (just as plausible as it is fake), he's already wrong because no incineroar.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
So hum... The editor of VG247 and Owner of RPGSite, so, a game journalist- think that the leak is fake because of what he thinks with some source at Nintendo, and that it doesn't Match-up with what he knows

There was a problem fetching the tweet

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
I do feel bad for Incineroar fans

But I mean, just LOOK at this roster. Here we had our hopes destroyed by Vergeben with Kencineroar and the Box, grovelling on the floor expecting 2-3 at most, and Sakurai sent our hopes down to the middle of the earth with his "don't get your hopes up"

And then he gives us ALL OF THIS!!!

Making nearly everyone happy. And with potentially DLC on the way TO BOOT.

(Aside question: how do we know this isn't just the final FINAL roster? No smash ballot, this just includes all DLC coming up and they're saving these characters all for announcements later?)

Sure it sucks for Sakurai and his team. This would have been the most hype announcement ever (if all of these were being revealed at once, which is not a guarantee). But they had it coming with not giving this info sooner. Wish it could have come through official word first but I'd be lying if I said I'm unhappy with knowing everything now.

It was gonna be the leaks or Sakurai first. Sakurai fought the leaks and the leaks won.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It isn't being passed on. Returning veterans are treated like newcomers, resulting in less newcomers specific to Ultimate. Doesn't make since to have 2-4 Pokemon fighters (depending on how you count Pokemon Trainer) in addition to a new one. DLC makes sense as a compromise--still promote Pokemon while freeing up the limited roster for more new series.

This doesn't mean it's true, and I think Verge is credible enough where it does present a problem for this leak. But Pokemon is certainly not being passed on in Ultimate.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Watch this just be another ArtsyOmni situation.
I'd agree, but this goes WAY BEYOND the artistic portion of the leak. Yes, though unrealistic, someone can make a new background, move all the characters, add art that was hidden or blocked by other characters due to moving them, and make 7 completely new characters. This alone solidifies the leak for me but I'll tell you the most important thing:

What they can't fake is their personal information. The leaker ****ed up and we found out his name. The leaker was confirmed to work for a company that produces printouts for adverts and events. Said French company has ties to both Universal (Grinch) and Bamco (Smash), confirmed by his and their linkedins, all of which are not new. Not only that, the leaked picture is printed on a fold-out mini poster/hanger/banner with instructions on how to set it up.

In addition to all of this, if this is fake, the leaker just outed a former employer for producing fake leaks. Hurting their reputation will only get him sued, which he likely will if it's real already.

I'm going with 99% real now, leaving a percentage for only the miraculous caveat that disproves this leak.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
People calling out Skull Kid under Mach Rider.

Thoughts? I think it's denial and I don't want to have hope on this one since Skull Kid was not popular in ballot era, but hey, for the sake of another discussion, even if is a short one.
I mean...it looks like it'd be Mach's motorcycle, no??

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Yeah the guy who leaked this just crashed the hype train big time.
We all know the only worthwhile thing about newcomers is the surprise factor after all.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Wait, wristband? Video? What?
From what I've gathered, the original leak was in the form of a video, and what we see are the screencaps of said video which explains the abysmal quality.

And that's either a wristband or a POS display sign. Either way, that's physical media that you'd have to print out to a unique specification that most home printers can't do.

KingofKoopas

Smash Lord
While I'm waiting for a reply in regards to the banner info i sent around.. I noticed alot of fighting games got multiple season passes nowadays with a few characters in each, costumes, etc. that keep the games going for a few years down the line. Tekken 7 is just on its second season and Street Fighter V on it's third both games still going pretty strong despite coming out YEARS ago. Expanding on something I've asked previously in which i asked what if this was the last smash game for about 6 or 7 years or so, what do you think a season pass esque system for dlc newcomers, stages, and the like would be like for smash and if implimented (i hardly see why not i mean fighting games do usually give you the most bang for your buck with these things) what form would it take, how many seasons would go on, and how long would it be used to expand the longevity of smash ultimate (my estimation would be until the next true console generation which could be a bit of a ways into the 20s)? Finally what are your thoughts on if that kind of system is implimented for post launch content and would you pay for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom