• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn Eslie

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it means much--could just be his opinion. I also didn't trust his "hints" in August, and he only recently came around to "correcting" that he wasn't referring to a Bandai Namco character in this tweet--which is bizarre. His notoriety should be taken seriously, but not everything he says may be correct/meaningful.

Not really. Even if what he says about Verge is true, it doesn't mean much for Smash (it would explain why he's inconsistent in other areas).
Incredibly late to the scene on this one, for which I apologize, but I'd like to offer my thoughts regardless. Of course, it goes without saying that I'm a KOS-MOS supporter, so while I will be attempting to check my bias on this, it would be wise to keep in mind that I have a vested interest in this matter proving inconsequential.

That said, here are the questions I figure are important in regards to parsing Imran's post.

1. Who is this Imran, and why is he considered credible?
(From what I can gather, Imran, or Imran Khan, is the chief editor of Game Informer, and a known "industry insider" who at times gets involved in the leak scene. Of course, having reliable information in one area does not in any way correlate to having reliable information in others, and the extent to what he knows is nebulous at best: He knows what Game Informer knows, and anything beyond that is suspect.)
2. If Imran is credible, how much is he considered to know?

A. If you assume Imran knows the entire roster, then his response here would mean, "There is no Bandai-Namco character coming."
(For my part, I find it hard to believe that anyone not directly involved in overseeing Smash development is actually aware of the entire roster, given Sakurai is actively taking measures to prevent and police leaks. So while this isn't at all impossible, it is at least improbable.)
B. If you assume Imran knows only some of the roster, then his response here would mean, "For the record, I do not know of any Bandai-Namco characters coming at this time."
(This is what I find to be the more likely scenario. Were this the case, it would mean no Bandai-Namcos have leaked as of yet. Now, this still isn't exactly great news, as it does somewhat reduce the probability that one is coming, but the important part is that this scenario still leaves those odds relatively healthy, rather than entirely null.)
3. Does Imran, or those behind him, stand to gain anything by obfuscating in this area?
(Simply put, do any circumstances exist that would compel Imran to lie or mislead? It's possible his sources could come under heat were it discovered their department had a leaker, and that increased talk about Bandai-Namco after that tweet made said source antsy. However, I don't personally feel this instance is disingenuous, it's just important to not simply assume honesty.)
Either way, given the particular phrasing of his post, I wouldn't take this as a death sentence, only a clarification of intent. If his goal was to proclaim that Bandai-Namco characters absolutely will not be happening, his phrasing here would be out of place.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Incredibly late to the scene on this one, for which I apologize, but I'd like to offer my thoughts regardless. Of course, it goes without saying that I'm a KOS-MOS supporter, so while I will be attempting to check my bias on this, it would be wise to keep in mind that I have a vested interest in this matter proving inconsequential.

That said, here are the questions I figure are important in regards to parsing Imran's post.

1. Who is this Imran, and why is he considered credible?
(From what I can gather, Imran, or Imran Khan, is the chief editor of Game Informer, and a known "industry insider" who at times gets involved in the leak scene. Of course, having reliable information in one area does not in any way correlate to having reliable information in others, and the extent to what he knows is nebulous at best: He knows what Game Informer knows, and anything beyond that is suspect.)
2. If Imran is credible, how much is he considered to know?

A. If you assume Imran knows the entire roster, then his response here would mean, "There is no Bandai-Namco character coming."
(For my part, I find it hard to believe that anyone not directly involved in overseeing Smash development is actually aware of the entire roster, given Sakurai is actively taking measures to prevent and police leaks. So while this isn't at all impossible, it is at least improbable.)
B. If you assume Imran knows only some of the roster, then his response here would mean, "For the record, I do not know of any Bandai-Namco characters coming at this time."
(This is what I find to be the more likely scenario. Were this the case, it would mean no Bandai-Namcos have leaked as of yet. Now, this still isn't exactly great news, as it does somewhat reduce the probability that one is coming, but the important part is that this scenario still leaves those odds relatively healthy, rather than entirely null.)
3. Does Imran, or those behind him, stand to gain anything by obfuscating in this area?
(Simply put, do any circumstances exist that would compel Imran to lie or mislead? It's possible his sources could come under heat were it discovered their department had a leaker, and that increased talk about Bandai-Namco after that tweet made said source antsy. I don't personally feel this instance is disingenuous, but it's always important to not simply assume honesty.)
Either way, given the particular phrasing of his post, I wouldn't take this as a death sentence, only a clarification of intent. If his goal was to proclaim that Bandai-Namco characters absolutely will not be happening, his phrasing here would be out of place.
I pretty much agree with all of that. My confusion as to what he originally meant his Tweet to be interpreted as--as I can't see how he wasn't insinuating a Square *and* Bandai Namco character. It's also odd that he waited two months before clarifying his Tweet. So it doesn't hurt a Bandai Namco character's chances, but I'm also curious as to alternative interpretations of his Tweet, and why he took so long to clarify it.

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
"Leaks" seem to have quieted down a fair bit, any reason why?
To be fair they should just give up anyway, we have 8 weeks and 40 blogs left. We have 19 veterans yet to be seen so you can subtract 19 from 40 and get 21 blogs left. Now we rarely see 4 characters on the blog per week so theoretically we can take away another 16 blogs (since 2 blogs per week focus on assist trophies/stages/items etc.) 21-16=5 blogs remaining if tge posts go until launch. This makes Incineroar and Ken left for base roster more likely. But if were lucky we may get a few more characters like Skull Kid, Shadow, and Geno.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Snake doesn't like Sonic, remember?

No particular reason for it though, he "just doesn't like him".
Yes, I know it's a VA reference.
ACTUALLY it's a VA-

Oh I didn't even see that dark text until I quoted this, keeeeek.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I have doubts that Imran is leaking anything.
I'm certain he'd be covering his tracks better than that..

I mean, the Gematsu leak DID happen though. Did anything ever happen to Romano?

kylexv

Smash Master
So I've got these ads that are like:

"You like ignoring ads, huh? Well, I'll make you stop whatever you're reading and scroll you all the way down to the page where I am. Now you have to watch me! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahah..."

Yeah, these should be illegal. It actually makes this site unreadable.

P.S. Literally as I went to click to submit this, it did it again and I almost accidentally clicked on the ad. Pls stop. Screw you Opdivo and Hotels Combined.

Last edited:

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Regarding MVC4: With Ono no longer head of the fighting game division, I'd be happy to see a new MVC. Maybe they won't completely **** it up this time.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Regarding MVC4: With Ono no longer head of the fighting game division, I'd be happy to see a new MVC. Maybe they won't completely **** it up this time.
A lot of the problems with MVCI had nothing to do with Ono. In fact about half of the problems were because of Marvel.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
It's hard to say. My take on Wario being freaked out towards Pokemon Trainer it could be a nod to how Wario acted as an antagonist to Lucas in Brawl. Lucas teamed up with PT and they both took Wario on later in SSE.

But looking at the Mural, these are my questions.
-Is Snake planning on firing his missile at Sonic?
-Who is Daisy looking at?
-Is the blue butterfly, the Villager is trying to catch, a hint to Persona?
-WHY IS THERE A MR. SATURN!?

I don't think we should look at the mural too hard for hints on placement.
I agree that it most likely means nothing....
though there are cases such as Dr Mario and Game & Watch who interact each other, and even King Dedede and Richter to a smaller extent.
Wario's reaction seems to be influenced by something near him, though at the moment there is nothing that seem to be fitting with that reaction, aside of the SSE thing with Pokèmon Trainer that IMO is a stretch (I doubt they went that much into the lore of the SSE only for a promotional artwork).
We'll see... honestly this is not very useful to predict the newcomers, since the thing that scares wario can be anything or even nothing; it just seems an interesting detail to notice and discuss, nothing more.

Anyway, to reply to those questions (my opinion, offcurse):
-No, Snake is just in a random pose doing random stuff.
-I think Daisy is simulating the side special atttack, she's looking in that direction because she's launching herself in that direction as well.
-No, I think the blue butterfly is just there to make the artwork more dynamic and highlight Villager's lighthearted personality (or plot twist: it's Morpho Knight!!! I'm joking)
-Same as the butterfly, it's just a random item to show that Pikmins transport stuff. It's also a character kinda, so it's additional representation.

there are only a few character who actually interact: Dr Mario (interacts with G&W), Dedede (reacts to Richter, who doesn't seem to care about him, so the interaction comes from one side only), Rob and Luigi (other than being a reference to that old Melee artwork, they're imitating each other, so they are kinda interacting, in an indirect way) and Fox/Wolf.
Wario's interaction with Pokèmon Trainer is suspicious IMO, but as I said, it means nothing speculation-wise, only that one of the newcomers will probably be placed there in some way.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
If Geno look like that...
I will throw up- I can barely take any leak mentioning him, Incineroar, Steve, Ken together...
But if he end up looking like this abomination- no way.

beans

Smash Lord
This new leak is the Monkey Pawn of any Geno supporter
He gets in but he gets ugly

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I will throw up- I can barely take any leak mentioning him, Incineroar, Steve, Ken together...
It's how I felt about the sausage finger Banjo "leak." I want to believe--and I want to not believe. If these fake leakers want to give us false hope, they might as well make it an enjoyable false hope.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah even as the hardest of core Geno supporters that model would get a solid "This ain't it, chief" from me. Thankfully I know better and there's NO WAY he'd get in looking like that. :ultwolf: and :ultchrom: are a bit rough (For now), but they are NOWHERE NEAR that.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
I'm gonna keep it 100 with you guys. I'm honestly hoping we get sora over geno, and I'm sure the masses probably agree.

Geno would do absolutely nothing for hype outside of the core speculation community, but sora would probably destroy the internet.

So it really confuses me when I see people rallying behind geno so much more on that front. I mean yeah there's Disney, but I dont think it's a big enough obstacle to keep sora out.

Sorry for bringing this up for like the 100th time, but I dont see much other discussion going on lol

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
That leak is super fake, the Geno Mii costume already looks better than that, I can't see how they could make the actual character look worse, especially given what they have done with the other newcomers so far (they all look good and K Rool looks different and better than his Mii costume)

kylexv

Smash Master
Regarding that Geno "leak". Three things:
  • The Icicle Mountain stage doesn't have the logo in the top right like in the actual game
  • If Icicle Mountain were in the game, they probably would have showed it on the SSS already.
  • "Render" looks like a drawing more than a render
Well done (Icicle Mountain looks amazing and the textures on Geno are super detailed), but flawed.

EDIT: I warmed up to that Geno design quite quickly. Idk why.

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't believe the 'leak,' but I'm not even familiar enough with Geno to know what's supposed to be off about the way he looks.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'm gonna keep it 100 with you guys. I'm honestly hoping we get sora over geno, and I'm sure the masses probably agree.

Geno would do absolutely nothing for hype outside of the core speculation community, but sora would probably destroy the internet.

So it really confuses me when I see people rallying behind geno so much more on that front. I mean yeah there's Disney, but I dont think it's a big enough obstacle to keep sora out.

Sorry for bringing this up for like the 100th time, but I dont see much other discussion going on lol
I can see them as dlc. But not in the base roster.

And throw in goemon.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
It's fake.
It's missing the Ice Climbers logo in the corner.
View attachment 169735

Move on folks.

I don't think this ones real necessarily (i dont think icicle mountain is returning due to stage transformations) but they could decide to remove the stage logo thing.

Pichu having its ear cut short on the ken image leak would be a similar minor style change from different builds of the game.

Again i dont think its real but just saying.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

Saw this a while ago, and now I think shield breaks are going to be even more embarrassing for the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom