• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Which got me thinking

What's everyone's top 5 current most wanted assist trophies for future dlc?

Mine:

1. Knuckles
2. Alucard
3. Zero
4. Bomberman
5. Ghirahim
Lyn and Knuckles...that is all

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Which got me thinking

Mine:

1. Knuckles
2. Alucard
3. Zero
4. Bomberman
5. Ghirahim
I'm looking forward to those polls actually... but is still too soon, since if stuff like Isaac or Geno ends as ATs, they certainly will shift the supporters.

as for me?

1-Alucard
2-Lyn
3-Ashley
4-Shovel Knight
5-Bomberman

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's because Smash fans hate adapting primarily

GAME TIME! Pick your most wanted character and think of something they could jokingly reference in their trailers. Stuff like the Yoshi's throwing Mr. Saturns to each other. For example, Dante. Dante gets pinned by Corrin's side B, fights Bayonetta and Ganondorf and gets chased by Belmonts when in Devil Trigger form
Joker. He steals K.Rool's crown, team up fights with Metal Face, wakes up from the sleep in Shadow Moses and get suprised by female Robin.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think people take the idea of representing a series and sometimes take it a bit too far. By that I mean, there are more ways than a playable character to represent a series.

For example, with Pokémon. The Pokémon Trainer is, in my opinion, the closest we’ll get to representing what Pokémon games are. Making him into a character that summons Pokémon randomly rather than to battle kinda...goes against what Pokémon Trainers would do when in battle.

This could easily be represented more by trainers in the background of a stage based on a town or city. Like imagine a stage based on a particular region that took you to an ocean, cave, and other locales that showed Trainers in the background doing a variety of things in different locations.

The moveset of a character should be functionality first, full stop. The stamina mechanic made the Trainer not so good, so it’s worthy of getting cut, and already according to people have played makes the Trainer feel way better than he once did.
I don't think the idea for Pokemon Trainer is generally conceived as having "random summons."
I've seen him work three alternative ways than he does, and I think all of them are better than what we have, in regard to overall roster of the series dancing (thanks Robin, for adding that 'missing element of FE to the roster, showing it is something Sakurai does consider).

1) Attack with flash animations utilizing six different monsters. This is right on point with trainer.
2) My favorite- Trainer having a mechanic based around capturing other players, like with his Pokeball. It's the main weapon of the series and so far we can never use it for its initial and possibly more known purpose- catching Pokemon.
3) Trainer being able to choose any three Pokemon to summon, with stamina (or another option) to balance out his strength of being able to switch between them.

Any of those is better than lessening the Pokemon he does use.

TLDR: What I want represented is the essence of Pokemon. I don't care as much about number of characters. I could easily cut half the Pokemon Roster if it meant adding in characters with more variety.

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I would ignore them because obviously they have no value as decent human beings and don't deserve to be treaten as such.
People were just as horrible when it was becoming clearer and clearer Mewtwo wasn't coming back for Smash 4. Quite a few people at the time legitimately wished death on Sakurai for revealing Lucario was coming back, and lo and behold, Mewtwo was the first DLC character and had an oddly... Rushed reveal almost as if to make sure everyone knows mewtwo's coming ASAP.

Despite how ****ing horrible the vocalest members of the community can be, especially in smash, the customer is still always right, and if they're loud enough sometimes you gotta bow down to the assholes and say you're the one thats sorry.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Which got me thinking

Mine:

1. Knuckles
2. Alucard
3. Zero
4. Bomberman
5. Ghirahim
1. Ashley
2. Bomberman
3. Lyn
4. Midna
5. Rathalos, **** it, we already got Ridley

Iridium

Smash Hero

GAME TIME! Pick your most wanted character and think of something they could jokingly reference in their trailers. Stuff like the Yoshi's throwing Mr. Saturns to each other. For example, Dante. Dante gets pinned by Corrin's side B, fights Bayonetta and Ganondorf and gets chased by Belmonts when in Devil Trigger form
I guess Ryu Hayabusa stealthily sneaks up on Snake in a mission to kill (or actually fights him), and he teams up with Sheik to climb up a platform on any stage from him franchise, showing off his wall jump and cling. something like that, because I can't think of much else.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
1. Midna
...yeah, that's about it. For the fans though I'd take as the other four:
2. Waluigi
3. Ashley
4. Takamaru or Lyn
5. Ghirahim

GAME TIME! Pick your most wanted character and think of something they could jokingly reference in their trailers.
Oh this is too easy...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's not like you to take someone's words out of context.
They got rid of stamina because of being locked in to Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.
If you can choose which three Pokemon you want to switch between, then reintroducing stamina for trainer is a great way to balance the multitude of options.
Read my post dude, not a phrase.
Sure, let me go on more details on why your idea doesn't mesh with Smash Bros.

Honestly- it is very tricky.
You yourself admit it's tricky and complicated. That's a huge red flag right there.

Smash isn't a complicated game. It's meant to be easy to get into, although definitely hard to master.

If I'm going to go with keeping everyone in that is already in (for Ultimate's sake)

• I would separate the Pokemon Trainer into four characters-
    • the three Pokemon, and a Trainer, who functions by choosing any three Pokemon and replacing their down B (and reintroducing stamina to balance out the choice option)
    • possibly even a move that 'catches' the opponent (or an alternative version of moveset where the Pokeball is just a weapon).
Cluster**** #1: this is a terrible idea. It makes even the character selection a convoluted mess. Even with Pokémon Trainer in Ultimate, it feels straightforward to play as him. You pick him, you can select which of his 3 Pokémon is sent out first. Simple and efficient.

Stamina mechanic got removed because it's simply bad design because it can force you on a bad match-up against your opponent. Having one less move to choose from so you have an option to switch character can already put the character in disadvantage let alone having another disadvantageous gimmick on top.

• I would have Eevee make it in with a gimmick based around evolution, themed to different stages and times. His moveset changes slightly, but he can only be evolved once in the match, and each evolved form functions with very slight differences based on element. Not all evolutions would be available to each set/ game.
This is actually an idea I can get behind, but with Eevee having as much as 7 evolutions, it definitely becomes difficult to balance.

Here's my take on it: you just play as Eevee, and when some kind of meter gets filled (i.e. like Little Mac's KO meter or Cloud's limit gauge), you can use a special move to choose an evolution like Shulk's Monado Arts. Eevee keeps evolved for the rest of the match, so the differences between each evolution have to be slight and balanced.

• I would include Team Rocket with Meowth who has flash summons, representing both the summoning aspect of Pokemon, and the cheating nature of the Teams of Pokemon.
    • Possibly with alt versions for each team
Cluster**** #2: summoner characters are usually very difficult to work with and balancing, which is probably why it hasn't been done in Smash yet. How would this even work? How would the moveset flow? Does a moveset like this even work in Smash? Lots of questions.

I would give Squirtle an echo in Piplup.
Piplup doesn't even have the same body proportions as Squirtle. This doesn't even work from a design standpoint. This said, Piplup could share some moves with Squirtle but would have to be a semi-clone at the very least, if not a completely unique character.

Maybe Zoroark echo for Lucario, with a switchup of Aura for a Mewtwo ability.
This is simply a bad idea from pre-Smash 3DS/Wii U speculation. Again, different proportions and the fact that Zoroark barely has anything in common with Lucario outside of being furry bait.

tl;dr - Messy ideas that don't mesh with Smash, vague ideas that you fail to describe how would they work in Smash, having no clue how echoes/clones even work.

I get that you want more accurate representation of Pokémon (whatever that means) and you do have some good ideas, but your way of executing them is anti-Smash in terms of philosophy. You're trying to cram as many Pokémon game mechanics without even considering whether they work in Smash and mesh with the rest of the gameplay or not. It's a convoluted mess.

It's as illogical as suggesting that Mario should only take two hits, shrinking in the first, because that's an "accurate representation" of his games. It would be, but it also wouldn't work.

So, once again, gameplay > representation. It's better to sacrifice some representation in order to have fun characters than the other way around, that's why the Pokémon Trainer is looking to be a much better character in Ultimate than he was in Brawl. "Representation" means jack squat if it only harms the overall gameplay experience.

Last edited:

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

Sonic looks up at the sky as Tails is Star KO'd.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If Blaziken can echo Capt.Falcon, I'd add him to my list.
But I want the point of my list to actually be seen- it only has so many because I was not cutting characters already in the game.
That said, if someone as level headed as Frost could not read my post without immediately jumping to the defense of the given point, and then chastising the idea that my thoughts were, more or less, too complicated, then I guess all hope is lost on the general fanbase.
Yeah, I was going with what's already in Ultimate, and while I agreed about quality over quantity, the comment of a Zoroark echo made me reconsider my initial idea I abandoned. As I said, I don't personally like the idea of cross-series echos, which is why Blaziken wouldn't be a good echo in my eyes if that were the case. But if a Gen 3 Pokemon could be an echo of Greninja or Lucario, I'd be for it as echos are free and it fills a gap.

EDIT:
Which got me thinking

Mine:

1. Knuckles
2. Alucard
3. Zero
4. Bomberman
5. Ghirahim
I was surprised by how many assist trophies I thought could be interesting playable this time. Mine are:

1. Bomberman
2. Alucard
3. Zero
4. Shovel Knight
5. Waluigi

(Forgot Shovel Knight was an assist, added him)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
People were just as horrible when it was becoming clearer and clearer Mewtwo wasn't coming back for Smash 4. Quite a few people at the time legitimately wished death on Sakurai for revealing Lucario was coming back, and lo and behold, Mewtwo was the first DLC character and had an oddly... Rushed reveal almost as if to make sure everyone knows mewtwo's coming ASAP.

Despite how ****ing horrible the vocalest members of the community can be, especially in smash, the customer is still always right, and if they're loud enough sometimes you gotta bow down to the ******** and say you're the one thats sorry.
The reality to "the customer is always right," is that the demand for the product is always what is correct.
Anyone who has had a job in customer service knows not only is the customer often wrong, but they cannot always be dealt with sanely.
I think this can easily be applied to your comment.

Iridium

Smash Hero
We have people that....legitimately advocate for the stupid Stamina gimmick with Pokémon Trainer....?

....I am at a loss for words.....
I would argue not having stamina is more faithful to Pokémon than with it. Pokémon don't necessarily get tired when fighting in the games, and can be in battle until they faint, which is like them fighting until they get KO'd in Smash. Switching is more or less the same. Good riddance to stamina, honestly.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sure, let me go on more details on why your idea doesn't mesh with Smash Bros.

You yourself admit it's tricky and complicated. That's a huge red flag right there.

Smash isn't a complicated game. It's meant to be easy to get into, although definitely hard to master.

Cluster**** #1: this is a terrible idea. It makes even the character selection a convoluted mess. Even with Pokémon Trainer in Ultimate, it feels straightforward to play as him. You pick him, you can select which of his 3 Pokémon is sent out first. Simple and efficient.

Stamina mechanic got removed because it's simply bad design because it can force you on a bad match-up against your opponent. Having one less move to choose from so you have an option to switch character can already put the character in disadvantage.

This is actually an idea I can get behind, but with Eevee having as much as 7 evolutions, it definitely becomes difficult to balance.

Here's my take on it: you just play as Eevee, and when some kind of meter gets filled (i.e. like Little Mac's KO meter or Cloud's limit gauge), you can use a special move to choose an evolution like Shulk's Monado Arts. Eevee keeps evolved for the rest of the match, so the differences between each evolution have to be slight and balanced.

Cluster**** #2: summoner characters are usually very difficult to work with and balancing, which is probably why it hasn't been done in Smash yet. How would this even work? How would the moveset flow? Does a moveset like this even work in Smash? Lots of questions.

Piplup doesn't even have the same body proportions as Squirtle. This doesn't even work from a design standpoint. This said, Piplup could share some moves with Squirtle but would have to be a semi-clone at the very least, if not a completely unique character.

This is simply a bad idea from pre-Smash 3DS/Wii U speculation. Again, different proportions and the fact that Zoroark barely has anything in common with Lucario outside of being furry bait.

tl;dr - Messy ideas that don't mesh with Smash, vague ideas that you fail to describe how would they work in Smash, having no clue how echoes/clones even work.

I get that you want more accurate representation of Pokémon (whatever that means) and you do have some good ideas, but your way of executing them is anti-Smash in terms of philosophy. You're trying to cram as many Pokémon game mechanics without even considering whether they work in Smash and mesh with the rest of the gameplay or not. It's a convoluted mess.

It's as illogical as suggesting that Mario should only takes two hits, shrinking in the first, because that's an "accurate representation" of his games. It would be, but it also wouldn't work.

So, once again, gameplay > representation. It's better to sacrifice some representation in order to have fun characters than the other way around, that's why the Pokémon Trainer is looking to be a much better character in Ultimate than he was in Brawl. "Representation" means jack squat if it only harms the overall gameplay experience.
If this is all on the idea that I created a balanced moveset, forgive me.
I'm not claiming I invented moveset ideas with proper a-tilts and frame rates.
Your entire point seems to be "think in more detail," and for that I say, it took you one minute to make any of these ideas work.
Clearly your point about them being asinine was not the correct word.
Rebalance them however you want and makes sense to the game, the point is, the general ideas works.

And yes. I admit my ideas are complicated. I noticed you completely ignored my reference that the ideas of Kirby, Duck Hunt, and Ice Climbers, when stated out loud, are also very complicated. I guess they have to be cut? No. Just apply the idea to a logical smash relationship. I'm not claiming to be a game designer, I'm telling you I'm a creative director and not to get lost in the details when getting to the end goal. Details are important, but if you are going to fixate on them to pretend there is an issue where one does not exist, you are hurting yourself in the end game.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I would argue not having stamina is more faithful to Pokémon than with it. Pokémon don't necessarily get tired when fighting in the games, and can be in battle until they faint, which is like them fighting until they get KO'd in Smash. Switching is more or less the same. Good riddance to stamina, honestly.
Perhaps it was intended as a way to represent that "Don't just train 1 Pokemon, train multiple ones" thing? Even so it was godawful

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Which got me thinking

Mine:

1. Knuckles
2. Alucard
3. Zero
4. Bomberman
5. Ghirahim
1. Zero
2. Ashley
3. Lyn
4. Samurai Goroh if and only if we don’t get Black Shadow as a fighter; otherwise Alucard
5. Saki Amamiya if he’s AT’d again; otherwise Bomberman

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think the idea for Pokemon Trainer is generally conceived as having "random summons."
I've seen him work three alternative ways than he does, and I think all of them are better than what we have, in regard to overall roster of the series dancing (thanks Robin, for adding that 'missing element of FE to the roster, showing it is something Sakurai does consider).

1) Attack with flash animations utilizing six different monsters. This is right on point with trainer.
2) My favorite- Trainer having a mechanic based around capturing other players, like with his Pokeball. It's the main weapon of the series and so far we can never use it for its initial and possibly more known purpose- catching Pokemon.
3) Trainer being able to choose any three Pokemon to summon, with stamina (or another option) to balance out his strength of being able to switch between them.

Any of those is better than lessening the Pokemon he does use.
With the Pokémon he’s/ she’s able to summon, how many are we talking?

That seems like a lot of work that could go into other aspects of the game rather than adding something onto a character that, I personally, think is already well done, all things considered.

That also seems like a lot of different gameplay elements shoved into one character, when the game itself is based on simplicity. Being able to pick between stamina, or other balancing tactics seems complicated as well, as opposed to the way it is now, where you pick the Trainer, the outfit, and you’re set.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
With the Pokémon he’s/ she’s able to summon, how many are we talking?

That seems like a lot of work that could go into other aspects of the game rather than adding something onto a character that, I personally, think is already well done, all things considered.

That also seems like a lot of different gameplay elements shoved into one character, when the game itself is based on simplicity. Being able to pick between stamina, or other balancing tactics seems complicated as well, as opposed to the way it is now, where you pick the Trainer, the outfit, and you’re set.
It is only one gameplay mechanic. I think it has often even been described as using the style of sprites form the original games- which would make the animations very easy (and less work than other characters, such as Kirby's hats).

As far as picking between other tactics, those were just suggestions. Whichever works for balancing is what makes the most sense, I was merely showing that choosing any three Pokemon does mean that some aspect would have to be nerfed.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If this is all on the idea that I created a balanced moveset, forgive me.
I'm not claiming I invented moveset ideas with proper a-tilts and frame rates.
Your entire point seems to be "think in more detail," and for that I say, it took you one minute to make any of these ideas work.
Clearly your point about them being asinine was not the correct word.
Rebalance them however you want and makes sense to the game, the point is, the general ideas works.
No, the problem with your post is that you go on about representation but suggest ideas that are either impossible to implement in Smash or simply lead to bad gameplay because they don't mesh with Smash's gameplay.

The Pokémon Trainer's stamina mechanic was a bad thing regardless of how "representative" it's supposed to be. It forces bad match-ups and takes away freedom from the player.

It's even more of a mess to have a character that sub-divides itself into a lot of other characters which you need to pick three of. You'd need to consider balancing all combinations of 3 characters you pick from and can switch between, then you'd have a stamina mechanic that has been proven to not work.

It's unnecessarily convoluted both in gameplay and development of in the first place.

Picking up the Pokémon Trainer, then having to pick three out of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja and who knows who else, you'd have to consider all combinations of three Pokémon and balance them all so they'd mesh together and flow with each other. This is a complete mess. This is a terrible idea in terms of gameplay.

Yes, it would be more representative of Pokémon as a series, but it simply doesn't work in Smash. It's too complicated and is at odds with the rest of the game's design. That's why it's a bad idea.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Something that looks like a ditto with a nut on it's head is showing up on Pokemon Go, it's a Gen 8 mon
Okay, now I remember that from yesterday. Didn't think that was a Pokémon at all. I assume the name of the game hasn't been revealed now, right?

Edit: Okay, next year release.

Last edited:

SamDunk

Smash Cadet

Despite how ****ing horrible the vocalest members of the community can be, especially in smash, the customer is still always right, and if they're loud enough sometimes you gotta bow down to the ******** and say you're the one thats sorry.
This is why I think Waluigi is probably top priority for DLC.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nt_waluigi_in_smash_bros_ultimate_says_reggie

"So, one of the good things about the way we approach E3 is when it's all said and done we step back. We look at all of the feedback and share with the devs and certainly Mr. Sakurai will be aware of the groundswell of support that appeared for a Waluigi. And in the end it's his decision to make. Just like when we were getting ready to launch the Wii U and 3DS version there was this groundswell asking for Reggie to be a playable character in the game. I mean... "

And remember, even with the "Reggie-for-Smash" thing, Sakurai appeased that section of the fanbase with the Mii trailer for Smash 4.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
No, the problem with your post is that you go on about representation but suggest ideas that are either impossible to implement in Smash or simply lead to bad gameplay because they don't mesh with Smash's gameplay.

The Pokémon Trainer's stamina mechanic was a bad thing regardless of how "representative" it's supposed to be. It forces bad match-ups and takes away freedom from the player.

It's even more of a mess to have a character that sub-divides itself into a lot of other characters which you need to pick three of. You'd need to consider balancing all combinations of 3 characters you pick from and can switch between, then you'd have a stamina mechanic that has been proven to not work.

It's unnecessarily convoluted both in gameplay and development of in the first place.

Picking up the Pokémon Trainer, then having to pick three out of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja and who knows who else, you'd have to consider all combinations of three Pokémon and balance them all so they'd mesh together and flow with each other. This is a complete mess. This is a terrible idea in terms of gameplay.

Yes, it would be more representative of Pokémon as a series, but it simply doesn't work in Smash. It's too complicated and is at odds with the rest of the game's design. That's why it's a bad idea.
You say my ideas are impossible to implement, and yet gave suggestions on how to implement most of them. Alrighty.
I did not say "more representation in Pokemon." I said *better* representation in Pokemon.
I additionally gave three versions of how I see Trainer could work better. Maybe one needs more thought. Then choose one of the other two. You are clearly arguing just to be combative, as your points dont even defend that which you say.

And if we seriously need to get into the idea of impossible, then I apologize with this quote. "One can only achieve the impossible by attempting the unimaginable."

osby

Smash Obsessed
Seriously is it true that Leaf can’t have the standard pokemon colours?
It would be confusing to have multiple characters on the battlefield who exactly look same.

(Please no Cloud/PAC-MAN argument, they are unavoidable situations)

Iridium

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, I feel like Sakurai might add Pokémon icons for the trio later. Having :ultgnw: juggle Pokémon Trainer's icon when they don't do anything would look weird, honestly. If it doesn't happen, I won't complain, but that detail would seem off.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Why would Sakurai want to promote Waluigi to playable status in Ultimate after he deliberately decided to make him an AT?

His best chance is the next Smash game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Why would Sakurai want to promote Waluigi to playable status in Ultimate after he deliberately decided to make him an AT?

His best chance is the next Smash game.
To make his reveal a bigger surprise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom