• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I didn’t say anything about him being deserving of Smash. As a matter of fact, I specifically said I’m not talking about him “deserving” to be in smash.
Neither was I. Am I in the right argument?

My argument is he isn’t iconic.
Okay I am, good.

YI, if the person you are arguing with has to tell you what they are arguing, you have failed. If you use “by your logic” and completely fail to understand what they are saying, you have failed. IF YOU TALK LIKE YOUR OPPONENT IS DUMB EVERY CHANCE YOU GET EVEN THOUGH YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE STRAIGHT BOOTY, you have failed. I’m blocking you now before I get infracted.
I never called you dumb what

The post I’m quoting is a very cute strawman made from a guy who likes to talk as if others are stupid when he apparently isn’t capable if reading the posts he’s arguing against. Murlough out.
You are very angry today and also not talking about what I talked about. Avatars that are as you said, "a canvas", are already in the game. There's no excuse to deny his presence as an icon for being a generic avatar when we already have four. A fifth wouldn't hurt.
Is that a win? :confused:

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
We may not get a new Xenoblade stage or character but I can see some music from Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 making it into the game regardless, seeing as music is series based.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
By being more sarcastic, boy.
I admit I used the wrong example but the punchline is still there. Maybe I should've used the Miis and the Wii- holy **** I never noticed that rhymes.

What if we don’t get Steve in the base game but we get a fortnite character as DLC
Does that mean the whole Smash model doing fortnite dances can be canon now?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So Ridley's looking to be a low tier, any thoughts?
1: No way to tell until release, especially when literal kids are playing that Nintendo UK thing last I checked
2: I don't care about what tier he is. I just wanted him in the game and will force myself to get good at playing him, he felt pretty nice when I played the demo so I'll hone my skills so I can fight my other friends and drag them off the stage laughing like a maniac

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
What if we don’t get Steve in the base game but we get a fortnite character as DLC
Final Smash: He exists and makes every other character constantly complains about his existence in an echo chamber.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Steve, one of the most recognizable video game characters of all time, is the mascot of
  • the second best-selling game of all time.
  • a highly influential survival sandbox game that is still going strong.
  • a game while owned by a competitor to Nintendo, has been released on Wii U (which is a big deal since how little third party support the console had at the time), New Nintendo 3DS, and Switch.
  • a game that continues to get updated fairly frequently around nine years after its initial alpha release.
AND he could have a crazy moveset based on mining and crafting. From both a gameplay and aesthetic standpoint, Steve would be one of the most unique characters in Smash history, and I'm all for his inclusion.

#fukdahaterz
I’m not hating. I just don’t agree HE is an icon. The only reason Steve is recognizable is because he looks like he came straight out of Minecraft. Its kind of an obvious thing.

Theres a ton of Merchandise made for Neopets but I doubt anyone here would argue they are iconic. Hell, there are people who argue Mimikyu wasn’t relevent despite merchandise made for it. Merch =/= Icon.

The only point you made that has anything to do what I’m saying is the first one which is fine, because thats exactly what I’m saying. The game is iconic. Steve, its mascot, is a canvas.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Final Smash: He exists and makes every other character constantly complain about his existence in an echo chamber.
I hear Fortnite is getting an audience in Japan. Smash Bros. X Fortnite for Fortnite's 30th Season anyone? :089:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Its amazing isnt it? Like i'm pretty sure have seen more Isabelle art than I've seen Ridley, K. Rool, or Simon Belmont artwork.
I mean Animal Crossing is like the top 3 best selling Nintendo franchises so it makes sense Isabelle is inherently more popular, especially when Metroid is niche and K.Rool died for 10 years

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
So Ridley's looking to be a low tier, any thoughts?
Legitimate question for the group, does anyone care what tier their mains are?

I'm never really sure how competitive people on here are, and even then a good competitive player can atil play with someone who isn't top tier.

90% of the people I play smash with are casuals so we usually just play characters we like, and so I haven't really looked too much into people's oppinions on Ridley. I guess I do care he isn't bottom tier and isn't total trash, and the general consensus so far is he isn't so that's good.

Last edited:

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
We may not get a new Xenoblade stage or character but I can see some music from Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 making it into the game regardless, seeing as music is series based.
Seeing as Samus Returns music is in, that's extremely likely lest licensing issues get in the way (like for X's vocal tracks).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only reason Steve is recognizable is because he looks like he came straight out of Minecraft. Its kind of an obvious thing.
That's kind of how mascots work???

Theres a ton of Merchandise made for Neopets but I doubt anyone here would argue they are iconic. Hell, there are people who argue Mimikyu wasn’t relevent despite merchandise made for it. Merch =/= Icon.
Yeah, because there are multiple Neopets. Steve is just the one default skin, maybe tied with Alex since that's the girl's name.

The game is iconic. Steve, its mascot, is a canvas.
How is the game iconic but the mascot isn't? The mascot is what usually makes the game known.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I’m not hating. I just don’t agree HE is an icon. The only reason Steve is recognizable is because he looks like he came straight out of Minecraft. Its kind of an obvious thing.

The only point you made that has anything to do what I’m saying is the first one which is fine, because thats exactly what I’m saying. The game is iconic. Steve, its mascot, is a canvas.
I wasn't ****ing quoting you so why are you acting like I was

besides the exact same thing could be said for :ultvillager: yet low and behold, he's in Smash. Hell he's even got skins of different Villager designs which shows just how much of a "canvas character" he is.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Anyways I hope I don’t get clowned on this game and that we do get a new F-zero character
I don't think we're getting a new F-Zero characters unless it's an echo of Captain Falcon.

Would be nice, but F-Zero's been dead for a long time.

Seeing as Samus Returns music is in, that's extremely likely lest licensing issues get in the way (like for X's vocal tracks).
I agree, but seeing as two of XCX's tracks got in XC2 through DLC with seemingly no issues (both were vocal songs as well), I definitely think there aren't big issues with the music for that game.

D

Deleted member

But Steve is iconic though.
I dont know about that. 'Iconic' means that even without watching the material, you know who the character is. Without ever having seen a cartoon with him in it or having played Kingdom Hearts, you know who Mickey Mouse is. He's iconic. Same with Batman, Superman, and Spider-man. Hell, they're so iconic that people are practically born with the innate knowledge of those characters' backstories; that's iconic.

Steve though? Nobody who's never played the game knows who Steve is. They can recognize and name Creeper, partly because even if they had to guess, they'd call it some kind of 'Creeper', but Steve? They just assume its the generic player character. I, for one, had no idea there was even a named character. I thought it was just a blank avatar.

Not to mention that I think its a little too early to call a game that came out less than 10 years ago 'iconic'. If Minecraft is still relevant and highly recognizable 10 years from now, then we can call it Iconic. Its a bit too early right now; I would just say that its popular. And even then, it's popular only with a given age group.

Just to put it in example, Minecraft is primarily played by people 21 and younger (the percentage of those who play reduce pretty heavily after 30; down to single digit percentages according to a survey done by Microsoft in 2015) whereas people of all ages and ethnic groups recognize Mickey Mouse, Batman, Superman, and Spider-man. I'm not even including the other Marvel heroes, because until the MCU, even Ironman wasn't too well known (heck, the company was about to go bankrupt in the 90's and the only reason they survived was because they sold movie licencing rights to both Sony and Fox for their characters).

Those are iconic characters; characters who people can recognize and identify just on sight decades after their initial introduction. I'm not knocking on Minecraft, but Steve is no way near what one could consider 'iconic' yet; he's just from a popular series right now.

LetterO

Smash Lord
A Smash Bros Battle Royale would actually be a great idea if it’s something like 20-25 characters on a big Smash Run like map. The problem would be actually making it work in terms of connection and the chance that everyone choses Ice Climbers and nukes each others’ Switches.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
It feels like I’ve been missing out on Gruntila codecs. My mind is full of them!

Daisy, Daisy, are you crazy?
Your future in Smash is a bit hazy
An Echo you are; unique you are not.
Maybe Villager will plant you in his flower pot?

Richter Belmont, the best of all.
You make this old witch swoon n fall.
Hunky body, winning smile, and cunning wit
Just catching a glimpse puts me into a fit.

Isabelle, yes yes, that is your name
Are you sure you belong in this game?
A fighter is not what you are portrayed
But of a secretary, that’s why you get paid.

Ridley, Bigley, so menacing and great.
Your draconian body filled with hate
Please squash that dumb bear and bird.
And I’ll grant you powers that are unheard.

Dovahkin, Dragonborn, Great is thy Thu'um
So strong, it makes everyone leave the room
Sword and shield, hammer, dagger, and bow
Magic too to fill your foe with woe.

We all know Rihanna is best Belmont.
this are pure gold... to the point thats is completely impossible to me to read them withouth Gruntildas "voice"

I'm never really sure how competitive people on here are, and even then a good competitive player can atil play with someone who isn't top tier.

90% of the people I play smash with are casuals so we usually just play characters I like, and so I haven't really looked too much into people's oppinions on Ridley. I guess I do care he isn't bottom tier and isn't total trash, and the general consensus so far is he isn't so that's good.
I do slightly care mostly cause i get to see top tier players using them... and that alone.

Top competitive level tier list only matters if you are on that top competitive level, and honestly is a place that im neither aiming to be or interested to be. (this doesn't mean that i don't care for competitive smash though)

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think Steve would be put in to have a big character for the younger crowd.
I admit I used the wrong example but the punchline is still there. Maybe I should've used the Miis and the Wii- holy **** I never noticed that rhymes.

Does that mean the whole Smash model doing fortnite dances can be canon now?
Show me your moves!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

90% of the people I play smash with are casuals so we usually just play characters I like, and so I haven't really looked too much into people's oppinions on Ridley. I guess I do care he isn't bottom tier and isn't total trash, and the general consensus so far is he isn't so that's good.
It just depends on who I enjoy playing. I main Palutena but her being low tier hurts sometimes. I have to be mentally prepared for fighting characters like Fox and Diddy who move twice as fast as I do. There were some weeks I just didn’t play her because of how draining it could be.

If every character moves as fast as Link does now I could probably do it every week no problem. If Palutena still has her same frame data problems then I might drop her. It just depends on whether I can enjoy playing her or not.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
That's an awkward way to start a page.

Anyway, who's gonna main Steve? Our little thread tournament is gonna be interesting when it happens haha

Genius.
Depends on his moveset to be honest. Minecraft is such a freeform game it could be any thing

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Steve though? Nobody who's never played the game knows who Steve is. They can recognize and name Creeper, partly because even if they had to guess, they'd call it some kind of 'Creeper', but Steve? They just assume its the generic player character. I, for one, had no idea there was even a named character. I thought it was just a blank avatar.
But he is the generic player character? If you know what he's from, he's done his job.
The only way to truly know is to go around the world and survey people.

Not to mention that I think its a little too early to call a game that came out less than 10 years ago 'iconic'. If Minecraft is still relevant and highly recognizable 10 years from now, then we can call it Iconic. Its a bit too early right now; I would just say that its popular. And even then, it's popular only with a given age group.
Do we really got to wait another year?

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I wasn't ****ing quoting you so why are you acting like I was

besides the exact same thing could be said for :ultvillager: yet low and behold, he's in Smash. Hell he's even got skins of different Villager designs which shows just how much of a "canvas character" he is.
I’m not. I knew you weren’t quoting me. Just figured I’d respond and clarify my points. How dare I see a post and quote it on this public forum? Sheeeesh.

Jesus Christ how many times do I have to say I’m not arguing he doesn’t deserve to be in Smash. I even said the same argument could be applied to Villager for that reason.

I give up, ya’ll are impossible.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Funnily enough, I had Steve on my earliest prediction rosters. I removed him once we got the everyone is here trailer, but surprisingly he came back.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Minecraft is the 2nd best selling game of all time, only behind Tetris.
Of course it has to have some form of representation in Smash.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Jesus Christ how many times do I have to say I’m not arguing he doesn’t deserve to be in Smash.
Why do you keep believing that people are arguing that at you? Nobody is. Stop misinterpreting and being so passive aggressive.

I give up, ya’ll are impossible.
Does that mean I'm free now? :090:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Cracks knuckles

Aight fam here’s my hot take on series inactivity terminology

Dormant - game hasn’t had a new game in over 5 years but it’s IP trademark continues to be renewed. Owners have expressed interest in making another installment, just haven’t been able to due to external reasons. Examples: F-Zero, Golden Sun, Eternal Darkness

Finished - the creator is done with their vision for the series. The trademark continues to be renewed for legacy/preservation’s sake, and the creator said someone else is free to take up the reins, but it would be of a vastly different vision from the original creator’s. Example: EarthBound.

TRULY Dead - the IP’s trademark is canceled/expired without the original holder renewing it. Thus the creator/original holder no longer has the rights to it. Cough Custom Robo cough

drops mic

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The best thing Steve could have is the ability to make your own skin for him.

Though I'm not sure Nintendo would add that when they're worried enough of Miis looking like Hitler

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Smash has already added four avatar characters with Villager, Robin, Corrin and Inkling and all of them have a lot of customization options in their games.

That's not an issue if a given character brings new and interesting gameplay.

If Steve is in Smash, you can bet everything on Sakurai having worked his magic on the character to make him stand out from the roster and bring a unique and fun moveset to the game.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511

Except that's literally how iconicity works. An icon is a form or figure that represents something. Steve is a character. He is given a name and a default role in the Minecraft experience. He represents its aesthetic, its gameplay, and its world. He is also widely recognized. That's an icon. End of story.

My argument is he isn’t iconic. FYI, if the person you are arguing with has to tell you what they are arguing, you have failed. If you use “by your logic” and completely fail to understand what they are saying, you have failed. IF YOU TALK LIKE YOUR OPPONENT IS DUMB EVERY CHANCE YOU GET EVEN THOUGH YOUR ARGUMENTS ARE STRAIGHT BOOTY, you have failed. I’m blocking you now before I get infracted.
The post I’m quoting is a very cute strawman made from a guy who likes to talk as if others are stupid when he apparently isn’t capable of reading the posts he’s arguing against. Murlough out.
1537629276908.png

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Cracks knuckles

Aight fam here’s my hot take on series inactivity terminology

Dormant - game hasn’t had a new game in over 5 years but it’s IP trademark continues to be renewed. Owners have expressed interest in making another installment, just haven’t been able to due to external reasons. Examples: F-Zero, Golden Sun, Eternal Darkness

Finished - the creator is done with their vision for the series. The trademark continues to be renewed for legacy/preservation’s sake, and the creator said someone else is free to take up the reins, but it would be of a vastly different vision from the original creator’s. Example: EarthBound.

TRULY Dead - the IP’s trademark is canceled/expired without the original holder renewing it. Thus the creator/original holder no longer has the rights to it. Cough Custom Robo cough

drops mic
Actually for Custom Robo it seems only the original game was dropped and that Nintendo has the rest

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Depends on his moveset to be honest. Minecraft is such a freeform game it could be any thing
His up special is gonna be a noob tower. It has to.
Otherwise he's a waste of a character

/s

Does that mean I'm free now? :090:
You were free when he said he blocked you.
To be perfectly honest, the argument is kinda dumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom