• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Peach is a Toadette mainly because the Toad head isn't part of her crown, and she can remove the crown. I think she's human (technically), however...

I saw speculation that Peachette is Toadette channeling or copying the body of Peach somehow which I guess makes sense because Cappy exists but why would Toadette be able to do this? Is she secretly really powerful?

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Why are people against the idea of Incineroar in Smash again?
I wouldn't mind Incineroar in Smash, it's just it's not exactly the Pokémon that I'd want in the game.
You already have other stand outs from that same generation that are more interesting from a design perspective, such as Rowlet/Decidueye, Lycanroc, and even an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole. They all have something innately unique to them as Incineroar doesn't exactly have that.
Sakurai would actually have to sell me on Incineroar as an playable character with his moveset, as his design doesn't do anything for me.
Maybe he will, same thing happened with Corrin. I didn't care for her design, but the moveset actually made me extremely excited for her.

I'd just honestly prefer if we didn't get a new Pokémon. I mean we just got Red and Pichu back, and they're more than enough to solidify Pokémon representation.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The only way i'll accept Toad in Smash is if they made him a character a la Ice Climbers, with him and Toadette being a two in one kinda thing.
Not looking at Ultimate for a second, imagine Toad + Toadette were a duo in Melee and could wobble you. How would you feel?

Edit: Nothing more than a question.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
He then came out today again showing how he believed the SE rep to be true. Have you seen this?

If you're going to believe in Ken and Incineroar and have them be the center of your box theory then you by extension should logically believe the SE rep. It's cherry-picking not to.
Like I said. Dlc. Like mewtwo.
It is not cherry picking. I see it for what it is.

Give me a cas based on the current character ordering scheme and show me it makes sense. Give me the box that fits 73. Give me smashdown that relies on 73 or more.

Give me proof to change my opinion. Right now, everything points to 2 and dlc for the rest.

Untouch

Smash Master
Blog update is here, it's Isabelle's fighter video with a memory for New Leaf.
Only up on twitter at the moment it seems.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh yeah, reason I don't mind having Incineroar is that I can always just play as Decidueye in Pokken, which is a fantastic game in its own right.

Of course I'm a Shadow Mewtwo main in that game so I might be holding a double standard here.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Meanwhile Primarina gets nothing T-T
Considering Primarina is the only Alolan Starter I'm interested in, I feel your pain. Do you have room for one more on that bench? T_T
Three frame jumps deconfirmed Primarina anyway. I can't imagine that body jumping that quickly.
Movement is not an issue, and will never be an issue in a game where Bowser once moved around the stage like he was a tank (Melee), and the way Squirtle moves on a wave of water is the same way Primarina can move. As for jumping, two words, Water Spout.
If Peach takes off her crown does she devolve into a normal Toad?
How does she feel about her boyfriend eating Mushrooms on his pizzas?
does she reproduce using spores?

THERE ARE SO MANY QUESTIONS.
Yes.
As long as they are not sentient, she has no problems
No normally, but spores have added affects.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth This whole Peachette thing pretty much seals the deal on your arguments on Mario canon. You were right :yoshi:
Heh, told you so.

--------------

On another note, if the CoroCoro thing is true, I'm hoping to see a true Bowser's Castle stage. I think I'd prefer Steve? and a Creeper AT over just a Minecraft stage, but one feels kind of boring compared to the potential.

MainJPW

M.T.A
...well I mean...Mario being an evolved Toad would certainly explain why he doesn't match up with regular humans;

View attachment 164789

Maybe all the 'human' characters in Mario have been Toads the whole time. Mario, Luigi, E.Gadd, Daisy, Peach, Pauline, Rosalina, Wario, Waluigi..(unless they're evolved Goombas)

BOY DO I FEEL SILLY FOR ASKING FOR A PLAYABLE TOAD NOW FOR TWENTY YEARS.
This is very similar to that “Sonic characters are evolved Chao” theory.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, reason I don't mind having Incineroar is that I can always just play as Decidueye in Pokken, which is a fantastic game in its own right.

Of course I'm a Shadow Mewtwo main in that game so I might be holding a double standard here.
Oh damn you know what Shadow Mewtwo would make a good Mewtwo Echo, or at least a color palette
Seeing as Namco's making this baby that could be how they actually get a Namco character in

Iridium

Smash Hero

That game really got me wanting a playable Darkrai too, and I still mostly do.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Oh damn you know what Shadow Mewtwo would make a good Mewtwo Echo, or at least a color palette
Seeing as Namco's making this baby that could be how they actually get a Namco character in
I highly doubt they would do that over putting a character from one of their own franchises in.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
1) What is your fav console?
2) What system had your fav library of games?
For both questions, the answer is GameCube (though the Switch is definitely creeping hella close)

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Heh, told you so.

--------------

On another note, if the CoroCoro thing is true, I'm hoping to see a true Bowser's Castle stage. I think I'd prefer Steve? and a Creeper AT over just a Minecraft stage, but one feels kind of boring compared to the potential.
Call me.crazy, but i really want sector z back. And pokefloats. Then mute ciry and rainbow road

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I will be totally content if the Boxart theory is true. 11 newcomers lines up with the "I hope you don't expect too many new fighters" line that I've always taken kind of at face value, and the newcomers they've given us have been excellent.

Also, speculation is NOT DEAD, my friends.

We still have 2 huge topics to talk about regarding SSBU speculation:

1. DLC
2. Single Player Modes

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind Incineroar in Smash, it's just it's not exactly the Pokémon that I'd want in the game.
You already have other stand outs from that same generation that are more interesting from a design perspective, such as Rowlet/Decidueye, Lycanroc, and even an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole. They all have something innately unique to them as Incineroar doesn't exactly have that.
Sakurai would actually have to sell me on Incineroar as an playable character with his moveset, as his design doesn't do anything for me.
Maybe he will, same thing happened with Corrin. I didn't care for her design, but the moveset actually made me extremely excited for her.

I'd just honestly prefer if we didn't get a new Pokémon. I mean we just got Red and Pichu back, and they're more than enough to solidify Pokémon representation.
Honestly, there's not much point in fighting the inevitable Pokemon newcomer. And with so many options, banking on one horse and hoping for it might be unwise since they are picked purely on the whims of Sakurai and the TPC, and not because of being any sort of fan favorite like other series.

Pokemon gets to do whatever it wants in Smash.

amageish

Smash Master
Okay, time to make an apparently-bold statement: Kirby and Mario are different series, in spite of both being platformers.

Mario is literally the biggest video game franchise. It has a tonne of characters across its platformers, spin-offs, and additional spin-offs. It has reoccuring characters people love who are and aren't in Smash. It was one-off characters people love who aren't in Smash, and some who may be joining the roster soon *looks at Geno*. It has a lot of characters.

Kirby is a big Nintendo franchise, sure, but Mario Sports games have collectively sold more copies then all Kirby games. It simply takes less notarity and less appearances to become the fourth most important Kirby character. Bandana Waddle Dee is frequently featured with Kirby, King DeDeDe, and Meta Knight in multiplayer Kirby platformers, in addition to having numerous NPC roles and playable roles in Kirby spin-offs. He is advertised as the fourth Kirby hero in games such as Return to Dream Land and the most logical choice for a fourth character.

The Mario franchise is simply much larger then Kirby and therefore the barrier of entry to being a "major Mario character fit for Smash representation" is higher then it is for Kirby. It is this way because otherwise the roster would be mostly made of Mario characters, as Mario is a huge franchise that most other Nintendo properties could not hope to compete with.

Espio264

Smash Ace
The only thing that the box theory shows me that I believe is that Ken is the last echo. The arbitrary pattern of groups of 9, makes no sense other than they wanted to keep the original 8 together but had to include Dark Samus too. Whatever. It does make it hard to dispute that they’re leading us to believe that there can only be an echo in that particular grouping of 9, most likely Ken. That’s fine.

But this doesn’t mean that there’s only one more unique character. If anything, I believe the Smashdown, divisible by 2, 3 and 4 minus the Miis theory. And this would mean there’s one more character, the last character, who would then be left off the box because the Miis are on the box. This I would say is Geno at 70, Inceneroar having been 69.

But honestly, I say screw the box. It’s a mock up, and when has Sakurai ever given a crap about clean, round numbers that are easily divisible on a CSS, box or diagram?

I’m calling:

69: Inceneroar
70: Elma
71: Bandana Waddle Dee
72: Geno
16€ Impa
36€ Dixie
38€ Shadow
60€ Ken

Then we’ll talk DLC.

At the very LEAST there are 3 characters left.
SOMEONE will definitely be left off the box.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I will be totally content if the Boxart theory is true. 11 newcomers lines up with the "I hope you don't expect too many new fighters" line that I've always taken kind of at face value, and the newcomers they've given us have been excellent.

Also, speculation is NOT DEAD, my friends.

We still have 2 huge topics to talk about regarding SSBU speculation:

1. DLC
2. Single Player Modes
I hope for a break the targets creator. Leader boards on Nintendo break the targets. Many events. An all star like mode where you fight 1 from each series.

Master orders retuening.
And smash tour. For what it was, it was fun with friends if you were in a party mood.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
1. The DS Lite is probably my favorite system, since I could play DS & GBA games on it. In addition, it was much brighter, lighter and compact than the vanilla DS. And the battery life on it was great, too.
2. The GBA has my favorite library of games. The gen 3 Pokemon games (and Ruby & Sapphire Pinball), Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland, Mario Golf Advance Tour, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, SNES and NES games that migrated to the GBA, and even cheesy games like HOTD Pinball, DBZ Legacy of Goku, Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets and Star Wars Attack of the Clones...I just loved that library. N64 is a close second.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I hope for a break the targets creator. Leader boards on Nintendo break the targets. Many events. An all star like mode where you fight 1 from each series.

Master orders retuening.
And smash tour. For what it was, it was fun with friends if you were in a party mood.
I'd prefer if they did Smash Run instead of Smash Tour.

If they did do Smash Tour, it would need a rework. The idea is fun, but the implementation felt really lazy. It was soul crushingly unfun for my friends and I every time we played it :/

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The only thing that the box theory shows me that I believe is that Ken is the last echo. The arbitrary pattern of groups of 9, makes no sense other than they wanted to keep the original 8 together but had to include Dark Samus too. Whatever. It does make it hard to dispute that they’re leading us to believe that there can only be an echo in that particular grouping of 9, most likely Ken. That’s fine.

But this doesn’t mean that there’s only one more unique character. If anything, I believe the Smashdown, divisible by 2, 3 and 4 minus the Miis theory. And this would mean there’s one more character, the last character, who would then be left off the box because the Miis are on the box. This I would say is Geno at 70, Inceneroar having been 69.

But honestly, I say screw the box. It’s a mock up, and when has Sakurai ever given a crap about clean, round numbers that are easily divisible on a CSS, box or diagram?

I’m calling:

69: Inceneroar
70: Elma
71: Bandana Waddle Dee
72: Geno
16€ Impa
36€ Dixie
38€ Shadow
60€ Ken

Then we’ll talk DLC.

At the very LEAST there are 3 characters left.
SOMEONE will definitely be left off the box.
My bets:

69: Elma
70: Incineroar
71. Bandana Waddle Dee
72. Dante
73. Neku
60e. Ken
11e. Black Shadow

Shadow, Isaac, Impa, Dixie and Chorus Kids might be saved for DLC, especially Chorus Kids if perfecting their gameplay is taking too long. Then come the obvious DLC picks like Rex, ARMS character, (possibly) Shantae, Octoling etc.

Yes, this is fine

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
I remembered something weird about the Smash ballot back in 2015, it said to state your gender which mostly likely affected the picked characters. What do you guys think?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
In terms of what Verg has stated today in regards to Incineroar, Ken, and the Square character, I think we need to take a moment before we start saying he believes in the Square character as much as the other two.

I personally took it as he had confidence in the source, but hadn't heard anything about that character from anyone else. Mind you, he also said he was going to ask around in regards the box theory to see if it corroborated at all with his sources.

If he knew or felt confident enough in the Square character, which would invalidate the box theory, why wouldn't he express more confidence in it, similar to the way he did for Incineroar and Ken? Better yet, why not flat out say the box theory has no ground to stand on?

I'm not sold on the Square character...for base roster. To me, it seems more like, "I've heard it from a good source but only that source", which is something that he's said before but didn't confirm until he felt more strongly about certain things.

Depending on who that source is, they may have different access to information and be able to comment on more than the other two. We simply won't know until he hears more, or something else gets revealed.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My bets:

71. Bandana Waddle Dee
72. Dante
73. Neku
60e. Ken
11e. Black Shadow

Shadow, Isaac, Impa, Dixie and Chorus Kids might be saved for DLC, especially Chorus Kids if perfecting their gameplay is taking too long. Then come the obvious DLC picks like Rex, ARMS character, (possibly) Shantae, Octoling etc.

Yes, this is fine
Shantae?
Obvious?
This ain't it chief

In terms of what Verg has stated today in regards to Incineroar, Ken, and the Square character, I think we need to take a moment before we start saying he believes in the Square character as much as the other two.

I personally took it as he had confidence in the source, but hadn't heard anything about that character from anyone else. Mind you, he also said he was going to ask around in the box theory to see if it corroborated at all with his sources.

If he knew or felt confident enough in the Square character, which would invalidate the box theory, why wouldn't he express more confidence in it, similar to the way he did for Incineroar and Ken? Better yet, why not flat out say the box theory has no ground to stand on?

I'm not sold on the Square character...for base roster. To me, it seems more like, "I've heard it from a good source but only that source", which is something that he's said before but didn't confirm until he felt more strongly about certain things.

Depending on who that source is, they may have different access to information and be able to comment on more than the other two. We simply won't know until he hears more, or something else gets revealed.
He noted he's still investigating it. We'll probably have more to go off of in the coming days.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'd prefer if they did Smash Run instead of Smash Tour.

If they did do Smash Tour, it would need a rework. The idea is fun, but the implementation felt really lazy. It was soul crushingly unfun for my friends and I every time we played it :/
Agreed. A rework was needed. Should take some queues from mario party. Mini games could be different smash styles.

Xgears

Smash Apprentice
My bets:

71. Bandana Waddle Dee
72. Dante
73. Neku
60e. Ken
11e. Black Shadow

Yes, this is fine
You're betting on Dante? that's a dangerous game you're playing my friend.

Has anyone asked Vergeben about Dante?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah actually that’s not a bad idea, someone SHOULD ask Verg about Dante

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Remember that guy from here and Reddit a few months ago that claimed to have a copy of the demo?

He lied about the circumstances of how he got the game (a friend took it and gave it to him, when in reality he was a Gamestop manager holding an event at his store).

When he got exposed for lying about something relatively insignificant, he got doxxed.

Multiple times.

I don't think you understand how angry this fanbase can be.

Excuse me but

what the ****?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom