• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Square Enix rep situation is pretty simple, Vergeben has heard from one of his main sources (previously implied to be the Simon/Snake/ICs/no cuts/Ridley at E3 one) that there's a 2nd SE character in the game, but he's not been given the character's actual name (similarly to when he was informed about the Gen 7 Pokémon). Later on someone who he's not regularly in contact with comes to him with a specific name, but because it's not one of his usual sources he's waiting for confirmation from his regular sources before sharing that name, as he's not comfortable putting his credibility on the line when he's not heard the name specifically from the people he trust.

The stuff he says about the box theory and DLC seems to me like it's just himself trying to connect the dots, he has a bit of an unfortunate habit of mixing speculation into his actual information, which has created a bit of confusion in the past. It's not that the name he's heard is controversial either, he just doesn't want to potentially damage his credibility as there are a lot of people just waiting to cut off his head at his first slipup, so given the name doesn't come from someone he knows is credible for sure he's keeping it to himself for now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If I remember Verg said he wasn’t sure about K. Rool? Two of his sources reported conflicting info

Loz’s source iirc leaked K. Rool but was also smoked out afterward, shortly after Loz started saying Skull Kid. If the “fake info trap” Sakurai is pulling is true, Skull Kid may have been the trap.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It ain't happening. He's already shown as an assist trophy and he's staying that way. Game is also too late in development to change anything at this point.

Jesus Christ I don't even see people this desperate or in denial for freakin Shovel Knight...:glare:
People said the same thing about Ridley a mere four months ago.

Sakurai outright said he was too big and was best suited as a stage boss. Suddenly a bunch of fans get all up in arms, Nintendo and Sakurai see their wallets, and things start to change.

And I said DLC. No crap it’s too late in the base game. I’m saying he has a chance at DLC. The “assist trophies can’t be DLC” rule doesn’t exist. It’s just an assumption fans made up, like how Cloud can’t be in Smash because FFVII was never on Nintendo.

And get those condescending emotes outta here.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So it means Sakurai looked at Waluigi and said "nah" with knowing he'll get backslash. He did it twice before, why this time would be any different?
There wasn't any backlash in 2014, it was just disappointment. People a little too dedicated to Waluigi are only mad because :ultdaisy:.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Ehhhhhh it depends how far Prime 4 is in development really, because Sylux is confirmed to appear in it and would likely get a more fleshed out boss fight than Hunters

There's no stigma, just babies whining about how Dante wouldn't be *insert character said baby wants*
Sylux is in Prime 4 Whaaaaa?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It ain’t happening. Sakurai’s already said Ridley is

People said the same thing about Ridley a mere four months ago.

Sakurai outright said he was too big and was best suited as a stage boss. Suddenly a bunch of fans get all up in arms, Nintendo and Sakurai see their wallets, and things start to change.

And I said DLC. No crap it’s too late in the base game. I’m saying he has a chance at DLC. The “assist trophies can’t be DLC” rule doesn’t exist. It’s just an assumption fans made up, like how Cloud can’t be in Smash because FFVII was never on Nintendo.

And get those condescending emotes outta here.
So you think they're just gonna completely remove Waluigi as an assist if he's made DLC? Again too late for that.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If I remember Verg said he wasn’t sure about K. Rool? Two of his sources reported conflicting info

Loz’s source iirc leaked K. Rool but was also smoked out afterward, shortly after Loz started saying Skull Kid. If the “fake info trap” Sakurai is pulling is true, Skull Kid may have been the trap.
So are you saying that Skull Kid's Not in? (I really wouldn't Mind If that were the case. The only Zelda Character I want Is Impa)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay, some of you answered the first question and the responses have been pretty reasonable, now for the second question.

Why Dante as a third-party character?

Just curious.
That, and the ridiculously large moveset potential. He could use a regular, sword and guns, a grappling hook, an electric guitar that shoots electricity, an ice mace, Devil Trigger and all it entails, etc.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Okay, some of you answered the first question and the responses have been pretty reasonable, now for the second question.

Just curious.
Okay, I'll make the argument:

- One of Capcom's biggest names, and a big name in gaming as a whole.
- Crazy amounts of moveset potential with Devil Trigger and all the other weapons he uses. Gameplay wise you could make him very interesting with an aerial combo focus (Yes I know you're afraid of another Bayo situation, but I'm going to hope Sakurai doesn't overload his kit.)
- Personality is great, Smash lacks a character like him.
- As a series Devil May Cry has a ton to offer Smash in costumes, AT's, and stages. Plus you could have Vergil or Nero as an echo.

Could you pick another series over his? Sure, but I still think Dante's a good choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Aren't you the guy who wants a call of duty character to get in
Call of Duty is deserving™ of a slot because it's Popular in Japan™, it's had games on Nintendo™, and is the last big icon™ remaining.

Am I doing it right?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

The information about no DKC newcomers was something Vergeben asked Loz18 about in a PM because he heard it from lupensko, who was a wannabe leaker on Twitter. It was never supposed to get out into the public until Loz18 just threw it out there for no reason whatsoever (attention most likely). It never came from one of Vergeben's regular sources, who never informed him about K. Rool one way or the other.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
That, and the ridiculously large moveset potential. He could use a regular, sword and guns, a grappling hook, an electric guitar that shoots electricity, an ice mace, Devil Trigger and all it entails, etc.
He can also slow time I think...?

Also, there's a suitcase that can become anything or something like that.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
This is something that has been covered, and yes, it could work the normal way anyway. By normal I mean, organized by number.

However, if the box art was going to change drastically, why wouldn't they just design it in-order anyway? Why separate them into groups of 9 in the first place if they were only going to use it as a placeholder? Why create a random pattern that they weren't going to use anyway?

This is why, to me, there's more to this box art then is being let on. The fact that it's broken up into groups of 9 still implies that Ken, or some other character that would be between Palutena and Cloud is present. There could be some sort of explanation that we simply don't know, but all things considered I have the feeling there's a reason for the design to be the way that we've seen it.

It's a placeholder image, yes. But why create a fake placeholder that specifically includes two blank spaces? If you're trying to especially conceal information, why leave any blanks? Why not have a full side, in order from Mario to Snake, on the visible side of the placeholder image?

These are a ton of what-ifs, and we could throw them around all day. The only thing is that the "groups of 9", Verg, and even the website make sense if placed together.

That's pretty much all we have aside from hypotheticals at this point.
Thanks for this, I was busy doing some work :/

The fact that a particular pattern was chosen, over simply listing them all by six actually screams to me this isn't just a placeholder.

So yeah his point, to me at least, actually is in favor of keeping this box pattern in mind. It could lead to something, and it totally couldn't. But the fact that there was an easier pattern does not dismiss it at all.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Just curious.
Well, he's pretty recognizable.

Not to mention he's owned by Capcom which boosts his chances slightly.

And he's the Ryu to the hack and slash genre.

Oh and he's cool

Last edited:

Chrono.

Yup, and additionally he never knew about K. Rool or nearly any of the echoes.

Vergeben doesn't have everything, and that's great.
Honestly I feel the writing is on the wall here.

Incineroar and Ken round up the base roster, whoever the 2nd Squeenix character is one of the DLC frontrunners alongside maybe characters like Bandana Dee or Shadow.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Just curious.
I'd rather Dante than Bayonetta, but now that she's in, I doubt Sakurai's going to add him

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay, I'll make the argument:

- One of Capcom's biggest names, and a big name in gaming as a whole.
- Crazy amounts of moveset potential with Devil Trigger and all the other weapons he uses. Gameplay wise you could make him very interesting with an aerial combo focus (Yes I know you're afraid of another Bayo situation, but I'm going to hope Sakurai doesn't overload his kit.)
- Personality is great, Smash lacks a character like him.
- As a series Devil May Cry has a ton to offer Smash in costumes, AT's, and stages. Plus you could have Vergil or Nero as an echo.

Could you pick another series over his? Sure, but I still think Dante's a good choice.
Virgil and Nero really don't suit me as echoes, Virgil is a more refined swordsman and Nero has that grabby hand which is fun to use. Though V changed it for multiple different arms

SonicMario

Smash Master
Actually I beg to differ.
We all know that if Incineroar and Ken are the last two newcomers, that leaves us with a Smashdown-perfect 72 slots.

If that’s how base-game ends up, I wouldn’t be surprised to see DLC take us to the next Smashdown-perfect number, 84.
Combining at least a year and a half’s worth of uniques and echoes, 12 characters sounds like a reasonable final number.

I’d reckon the breakdown will be...7 uniques and 5 echoes.
I think Smashdown doesn't necessarily show the final number must be divisible by 2,3, and 4. As you may have to account for the mode being used even if they haven't unlocked all the characters yet. I think either the game ends when there are more players then characters left. Or players get eliminated until the last 2 or 3 are left (When it's a full 4 player Smashdown anyway, though it's possible Smashdown may force 4 players and have to include an AI even if you only have 2 or 3 players). Though it's reasonable to think that at least base game wise they may want that perfect number of 72 working for that. But I just don't know if I can see the game's roster tied to one specific mode.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The whole thing about Incineroar is that Verg never stated that it was Incineroar. Just "not Decidueye or Mimikyu".
Are we all of a sudden forgetting someone else who could show up

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I mean
:ultdarksamus: [insert isabelle]
Smash Ultimate is a new game. Characters getting promoted from assist to playable in a new installment of the game is not the same thing as them removing an assist trophy from a game in an update in order to make them playable.

SSB4Dojo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CommanderCanuck7
My biggest hangup on the box theory is that means in the first half of reveals, we got 9 fighters and only have 2 remaining over the second half. That doesn’t seem like we are headed towards something epic. No reason to show king krool in the smash direct and do 8 fighters in the first 2 months and then 3 over the final 4. Just feels sakurai is not one to front load the fighters. We got robin, lucina, dark pit, shulk, duck hunt and bowser jr in those final 2 months before release of the 3ds version (yes some of them were hidden which won’t happen this time). Just feel sakurai is one to keep things held back but maybe he decided to change his thoughts this time.

Ryuuma

Smash Apprentice
Guys we got cloud, bayoneta and snake.

"dosent fit in smash" is not a good point.

if the Dante guy is Sakurai friend, so Dante got a high chance.

LetterO

Smash Lord
The whole thing about Incineroar is that Verg never stated that it was Incineroar. Just "not Decidueye or Mimikyu".
Verge had just recently said that all his sources agree on Incineroar

Iridium

Smash Hero
I think Smashdown doesn't necessarily show the final number must be divisible by 2,3, and 4. As you may have to account for the mode being used even if they haven't unlocked all the characters yet. I think either the game ends when there are more players then characters left. Or players get eliminated until the last 2 or 3 are left (When it's a full 4 player Smashdown anyway, though it's possible Smashdown may force 4 players and have to include an AI even if you only have 2 or 3 players). Though it's reasonable to think that at least base game wise they may want that perfect number of 72 working for that. But I just don't know if I can see the game's roster tied to one specific mode.
Just imagine doing Smashdown with only the original 8 or 12. That would be hype for me.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Honestly, if the base game ends with Dante and Geno, I don't know if I can be mad or not.

I mean is it dumb to feel angry when everyone you wanted got in but like one or two?

Though if no Xenoblade for real, for real, I'm taken aback a little. Cuz it's weird.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Everytime says Waluigi still has a chance despite all evidence in being deconfirmed and too late in development to do such a thing. I lose a day in my life.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
In his most recent post today or yesterday he claimed that it will in fact be Incineroar specifically.

Chrono.

He just doubled down on Incineroar today.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Everytime says Waluigi still has a chance despite all evidence in being deconfirmed and too late in development to do such a thing. I lose a day in my life.
Everytime someone keeps responding to my posts saying the same thing even if I’ve already countered those points, I lose a day in my life.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
He just confirmed it last night. I will probably be Greninja'd.

Edit: what I'd say? Well to make this post worth something....I'm ok with Inceniroar??? He'll at least have a unique fighting style....hopefully. He also has the potential to play just like Bowser which would be lame.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Well, he just recently confirmed that it was incineroar. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77008096
As For Primarina, Assuming that Decidueye was in Pokken and That Incineroar Is Gonna be in Smash, I wouldn't be surprised If she was In Nintendo VS Capcom...
Edit: That last sentence was a joke. Don't take it Seriously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom