• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Again, this all falls into the denial if you ask me. Every single thing you listed off. "Sakurai wouldn't do this, Sakurai wouldn't do that" I've heard this probably around a thousand times now, not buying into that. This also ties into your third point of saying what Nintendo/Sakurai would do about the boxart and wanting or having to cover it up.
For something that would easily be noticed such as this, yes they wouldn't make it leak this obviously. And they've covered up their slip-ups before. If this was truly a slip up that leaked anything, they wouldve already tried to do something.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
...As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, the Smashdown theory really doesn't make much sense when you consider the number of people playing won't always be an even number.

Food for thought.
Well. I think there is some weight. Just some.

72 is divisible by 2/3/4.
for the base game, would make sense to keep it that way. I know Miis are not listed, but that goes into the next part.
Smashdown will probably end when the number of remaining characters is less than the fighters. So 4 people playing, and only 7 fighter left, that will be the last match.

This will allow for DLC to be added. But out the door, a nice even number would feel good.

For something that would easily be noticed such as this, yes they wouldn't make it leak this obviously. And they've covered up their slip-ups before. If this was truly a slip up that leaked anything, they wouldve already tried to do something.
Give me examples of coverups that are not character related. A direct character reference like Simons music or Ganondorf in the video makes sense to remove. I want something that is nonthreatening.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly I feel like this is the Smash community most of the time when it comes up with these theories that have far too many variables to be actually solid proof or evidence of something and lord knows even I'm guilty of it:

They just keep trying and trying to make it work, but most of the time it doesn't.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
...As someone earlier in the thread mentioned, the Smashdown theory really doesn't make much sense when you consider the number of people playing won't always be an even number.

Food for thought.
I think Smashdown will only have 4 players at once.

36 matches for 1v1
24 matches for a Three For All
18 matches for a Free for All

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Question, has anyone gotten an echo right?

Best I got is that Richter one seemed to get Dark Samus but we're not calling that one until Gardevoir or Gothitelle is seen
I personally haven't, besides Dark Samus.
Echos are hard for me to call because they could be literally anybody. It's just that a handful of them seem more likely than others, like Ken and Shadow, because it logically makes sense.

I have echos I want. Mostly... I want a Captain Falcon echo, because as far as I care that would be the memeist echo to exist no matter who it is.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I need to see how trophies will look like in this game. The potential quality actually excites me.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Well. I think there is some weight. Just some.

72 is divisible by 2/3/4.
for the base game, would make sense to keep it that way. I know Miis are not listed, but that goes into the next part.
Smashdown will probably end when the number of remaining characters is less than the fighters. So 4 people playing, and only 7 fighter left, that will be the last match.

This will allow for DLC to be added. But out the door, a nice even number would feel good.

Give me examples of coverups that are not character related. A direct character reference like Simons music or Ganondorf in the video makes sense to remove. I want something that is nonthreatening.
I'd say leaking the amount of characters left would be something that they would want to cover up.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but so far all of the newcomer reveals (aside from Inkling) have been in chronological order of when their first game was. Metroid came out August 1986, Castlevania came out September 1986, Donkey Kong Country came out 1994, and Animal Crossing New Leaf was just a couple years ago. I hope I'm wrong, and if I had to guess I'd say this is probably just a coincidence, but it would make sense for Sakurai to do it this way (since he does really like putting Easter Eggs in about when characters' first games were) and thus leave Incineroar for the final reveal.
this may be the most insightful thing ive seen on here in weeks. Im sure all the geno fans are gonna love this. /s

all the elma fans will actually love it.

also that new poll is incredibly misleading. isabelle was a great part of the direct but the direct itself was underwhelming no bayo 3, no mp3, no major new games except animal crossing. no dlc for mario.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, a 4chan post called the name, Inklings Daisy and Ridley, release date and Bomberman as an AT
So that leak was probably from someone who saw the direct and from what we know of Verge's sources, they've to called a echo yet. We thought they had two with Isabelle and Ken but now she's a Semi-Clone it seems they only saw the original roster.

This could also explain why Chrom's model looks so rough.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I need to see how trophies will look like in this game. The potential quality actually excites me.
Yeah man, I'm actually expecting to be super interested in the trophies this time around.
Never was before, but I really want to see how they turn out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You can play the mode with less than 4 characters but what happens if you get down to the last 2-3 fighters with 4 people with the whole roster unlocked? Does the game end? Does everyone use the 2 same people? Do 3rd & last place sit out?

The only numbers divisible by 7 is any multiple of 7. The mode might not even be playable with 8 players. 72 is divisible by 2, 3, & 4.
But why? All the stages are available in 8 player now too.

D

Deleted member

Again, this all falls into the denial if you ask me. Every single thing you listed off. "Sakurai wouldn't do this, Sakurai wouldn't do that" I've heard this probably around a thousand times now, not buying into that. This also ties into your third point of saying what Nintendo/Sakurai would do about the boxart and wanting or having to cover it up.
If what he's saying is speculation and he can't know what Sakurai would do, how would you? How is the other side of the spectrum "Entirely what Sakurai would do" if none of us are Sakurai or someone who works on this game and knows?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just honestly curious. What makes people who don't believe it in denial and people who believe it objectively right? If people who don't believe it assume Sakurai won't do it because "insert reasons here" are wrong, what makes people who do believe it because Sakurai would totally do it because "insert reason here" right?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So, let's pretend that Incineroar and Ken are the final 2 characters in the base roster, But Skaurai confirms that there will be DLC
List your DLC Predictions
Here's Mine

Five Newcomers And Three Echoes

Newcomers
Geno (70)
Isaac (71)
Chorus Men (72)
Rex and Pyra (73)
Steve (74)

Echoes
Octoling (64E)
Shadow (38E)
Dixie Kong (36E)

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I'd say leaking the amount of characters left would be something that they would want to cover up.
I would say the box heavily hints it but does not directly say it. Simons music directly said it. So did Ganondorf and Lucario in the images.
There is a different.

Heavily implying something is fine. It is not direct confirmation.

D

Deleted member

Using Smashdown as evidence is just as bad as the Music and Chair theories lol

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Here's reasoning in that case.

-It's boxart that can be changed
-Sakurai would not let this slip past his radar
-The boxart would be covered up by now just like how Ganon and Lucario got leaked.
-It is boxart
the boxart of the ultimate edition ( the black big box with gamecube controller) was changed for onlinestores every time the banner was changed, so before you could not see k rool, simon and co, but now they are on there, it could totaly be that we also have the back of the box also using character slots, i mean technically you could take the original 8 on the back cause you start with them, and the others on the side opening up 8 more spaces THEY ARE NOT ON THE SIDE
and then you hav the others on the other side, this makes sense for advertisement if you see the box with the context,
you start with smash bros legendary 64 base roster, for speculation this makes sense cause that means like 10 or so still are missing right?
1 on each side? and then additionally 8 cause of missing allstars on the back,
so we can expect still 4-5 more newcomers and 5-6 echos which makes 10000% sense to me

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
I would say the box heavily hints it but does not directly say it. Simons music directly said it. So did Ganondorf and Lucario in the images.
There is a different.

Heavily implying something is fine. It is not direct confirmation.
I guess, but I'm still going to remain not believing in the box at all.

I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't know if this has been pointed out yet, but so far all of the newcomer reveals (aside from Inkling) have been in chronological order of when their first game was. Metroid came out August 1986, Castlevania came out September 1986, Donkey Kong Country came out 1994, and Animal Crossing New Leaf was just a couple years ago. I hope I'm wrong, and if I had to guess I'd say this is probably just a coincidence, but it would make sense for Sakurai to do it this way (since he does really like putting Easter Eggs in about when characters' first games were) and thus leave Incineroar for the final reveal.
Huh... Interesting... Never Noticed that... Probably means either Incineroar (if that Box theory is to be Believed) or Elma are next

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Using Smashdown as evidence is just as bad as the Music and Chair theories lol
Chairs is bad.

Music theory might hold water. Need to learn more about it, but it seemed to have a convincing argument to it, There was a pattern.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It’s mostly an exaggeration, but if they did get reps I would not be happy about that and I can imagine a lot of other people wouldn’t be either.
Why would anyone be upset? :073: Just because you wouldn't want a character doesn't mean you can't be understanding of their inclusion.

If you're honestly are so willing to oppose the game's existence for a single character, please give me your preorder so I can put it to use.

Last edited:

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Clarification - what does taking the L mean?...Like loser???

I wonder if the box will be the most divisive thing in this speculation period for the game. Especially since it won't be settled for... probably over a month? And I definitely thinks it's more split than the chairs.
Being wrong basically

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe they don't want anyone to be left out? It IS more of a party thing.
But. 8 players playing Smashdown would mean exactly 9 matches with no characters left. Same goes for 6 though that's 12. Plus we don't know what happens if someone tries to pick the same character as someone before a match, for all we know elimination is just after a match

LetterO

Smash Lord
Inkling breaks this theory. You can't just put them aside.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Maybe they don't want anyone to be left out? It IS more of a party thing.
There's a lot of assumptions we're making with it.
Like, the number count only matters if it's something we unlock after having all the characters. Also, DLC characters would throw the count off, so there's that little assumption that in order to keep the count pure either the amount of DLC characters will abide by the multiple, and that somehow they all become available at the same time (because people can choose to buy or acquire any number of the available DLC characters). We don't know how this will happen.

Also, we are assuming there's something that makes it required to end with 0 characters. There isn't. For all we know, game ends when there are more players than remaining characters. Or, players just get knocked out towards the end if they're too slow. We don't know what happens here either.

We make too many assumptions on this for it to actually hold up, as far as I care, but I think it's a thing worth exploring anyway as long as people don't get rabid about it like they have.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So curious.

Lets say the final roster is 72 (Which is still awesome). When DLC is announced, would they include 4 characters in the first DLC?

Ya know, to keep the Smashdown consistent? Still divisible by 2, 3 and 4.

But...do we think Nintendo would do that? Who's to say?

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
If what he's saying is speculation and he can't know what Sakurai would do, how would you? How is the other side of the spectrum "Entirely what Sakurai would do" if none of us are Sakurai or someone who works on this game and knows?

I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just honestly curious. What makes people who don't believe it in denial and people who believe it objectively right? If people who don't believe it assume Sakurai won't do it because "insert reasons here" are wrong, what makes people who do believe it because Sakurai would totally do it because "insert reason here" right?
It's not about that we on the flip side know Sakurai would do this or that but how there's evidence in other ways the theory could very well be correct. And also I'm coming from the side that it's better to be surprised that the theory is wrong compared to believing in your heart there's 0% possibility it is true and later being majorly disappointed. Sorry if I made it seem or if I worded it that us box believers know how Sakurai operates or what he thinks. I didn't intend it to come across that way.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I feel like if this theory is correct, it kills Dixie's chances, given that it would look super weird for Dixie to appear after Isabelle, and not after Rool.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
For DLC, because I have bought into the Box Theory.

I want
Bandana Dee to be the first one, due in February.
Geno to be next with a Boshi Echo.
Goemon to be third.
Lloyd to be forth.
Rex/pyra to be fifth.
Springman to be sixth.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
One thing on this whole boxes and one character thing.
Since June, we've gotten about a character a month. Ridley in June. Simon and K Rool in August (two months since E3) then Isabelle in September. It seems odd that Nintendo would go the next three months with just one new character. If you look at Smash Wii U, they showed off Robin in July and Shulk in August with the game releasing in September in Japan. Actually, both Smash Wii U and Brawl showed their last newcomer very close to release (about two weeks for both). It seems odd that there would only be one more trailer for the next three months or so.

At the same time, there is actually a lot we haven't been shown. Haven't seen the vault, online or the secret mode. There seems to be enough left that they will talk about it more over the last few months. So, again, it seems odd that there is only one more character.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
So curious.

Lets say the final roster is 72 (Which is still awesome). When DLC is announced, would they include 4 characters in the first DLC?

Ya know, to keep the Smashdown consistent? Still divisible by 2, 3 and 4.

But...do we think Nintendo would do that? Who's to say?
Nope. Just have the mode end when the number of characters is less than the number of players. and they would have to add 12 to keep it consistent.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Question, I understand talking about box theory, as stupid as I think it is. What I don't understand is why people
A: Can't seem to change the subject
Or
B: are being so negative towards people who have the opposite opinion of box theory.
Why can't we all get along?
I'm thinking of the clip from the end of a Scot the Woz video where he says something along the lines of don't post your opinions in the comment section because opinions are illegal on the internet

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I think Smashdown will only have 4 players at once.

36 matches for 1v1
24 matches for a Three For All
18 matches for a Free for All
Someone did just make the point that Mii Fighter wasn’t on the CSS for Smashdown. Meaning even if 72 is the final roster, Mii Fighter won’t be in it and Smashdown Theory is nothing so far.

9D5F6CA1-8D80-4030-A0FE-6171190DF078.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom