• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Wait..... Vergebren's saying Geno won't be in Smash?

Oh, noooooo........ I'm really hoping he's wrong now.

Hey, where'd ya get that gif? 'Cause Imma make it my signature if Geno does make it.
That's not Vergeben, that's "Dante leaker"

He basically leaked ALL of DMCV before it was officially shown off a few weeks back.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Why are smash fans so spoiled like we got Ridley and Krool and the veterans back and yet people still are mad that we didnt get Issac or skull kid revealed like be happy smash fans you guys keep asking for more and more
People. Are. Allowed. To. Be. Disappointed.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Isabelle's down smash looks like it was taken straight from Inklings lol.
THAT'S what it reminded me of, I thought I saw that animation somewhere but I couldn't pin it down, I wonder if any of her other moves were ripped from other characters.

Maybe nair is peach?

Last edited:

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Smash's whole thing is that all these characters are different and don't look like they belong together.. That's the point, the appeal.
Look at Ridley and Kirby, should Kirby not be in? How about Snake and Pichu?
That's not what I mean, man. All those cool characters and then... a dog who walks around and complains.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The character itself is boring, but then again, Animal Crossing in general is boring anyway so not really anything new there... Who cares though? She like all characters is just a gameplay piece so I'm going to talk about that.

From a gameplay perspective she clearly has a lot in common with Villager but a lot different too. I didn't see any evidence of Villager's fair/bair which are his main moves, she seems to have more normal fsmash and dsmash from Villager which is part bad (Villager's fsmash is a clear upgrade) and part good (Villager's dsmash is trash), and she clearly has a more traditional nair instead of Villager's super nair. We saw some really gimmicky specials too; the fishing rod looks really bad to me (it will have to be WAY faster than it looks to be useful at all), the rocket trap thing looks pretty bad (reminds me of Snake's old dsmash which was really garbage, good players who pay attention aren't going to walk into that), her recovery looks like a somewhat worse version of Villager's but I guess Villager's recovery is ridiculous so that could still be very strong, and I'm not even sure what the story with the stop sign is maybe it's a taunt but if you can actually quickly impede the mobility of others that would be really interesting and is really the only positive thing that caught my eye. She also seems to still rely on the net for grabs like Villager so that's also concerning; that was one of the single worst things about Villager in 4 (his grab was really, really bad).

To be fair, I think we haven't seen like half of her normals, and we don't even have a great picture of the real dynamics or even identity of all of her specials. K.Rool also looked really terrible in his initial reveal and we saw some of his better stuff in that one match video. Nothing I saw in her reveal made me want to play the character at all, but maybe the mysteries that still remain will be the real reason to use her? It remains to be seen...

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
One thing I hope for when the Direct eventually drops, is that whomever the character is, they don't get hate for being a disappointment. We've been antsy knowing that there is something to be revealed, and that anxiety can fuel disappointment if the character revealed doesn't meet "standards".

There's just as much chance to be a surprising/unpredictable character as there is an expected/fan favorite. Regardless of who it is, I hope we'll be appreciative of them when they do inevitably get revealed.
Oh, hey. This post is incredibly relevant now.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, that's right, reminder that Isabelle will be at the business end of Ridley's FS like everyone else now...

Guys, guys, you are all posting so much!

Can we take all the moment to REMIND that it's a Nintendo Direct, NOT a Smash Direct? I was surprised that there was just one newcomer but I'm ACTUALLY pretty happy about it. This is a Nintendo Direct in general, NOT A Smash Direct. Honestly, it's like you expected more Smash stuffs. You put your expectations high, and as a result, you're feeling disappointed!
The whole time I was watching, Smash was only in the back of my mind, since I was more concerned about game reveals.

Sadly, still no SM3DW, but at least New Super Luigi U gets to live on, as expected.

Yeah. That x100.

:smash:
Does this make her AC's Luigi now?

Yeah... I don't expect him to playable. Maybe as a boss.
But lol the entire community freaked out over chairs, this will be my new favorite Smash meme.
Then again, Isabelle is yellow like one of the chairs, so maybe the next fighter's purple?

Eh, whatever, it'll still be a Schrodinger's clue/red herring until the next Smash news anyway. :ohwell:

Or he's just subtly poking fun at Waluigi again, wah.

Last edited:

Espio264

Smash Ace
Not gonna crap on Isabelle, we all expected her. Still looks like an echo to me. Not the point I wanna make though.

That trailer was bland and short and could have easily been thrown together in a week. I know it was stupid to think that because of the earthquake, characters with potentially more violent trailers may have been shelved in favor of something more happy. And to switch around the newly important Character Introduction Numbers would mean changing code, and advertising and who knows what else. As dumb as that sounds, could we have just seen it? Others pointed out there was no smash logo opening at the beginning of her trailer, it felt sloppy. We were talking about a Smash bundle, this was a Smash segment, it wasn’t a surprise that this was a trailer, no need to make it a surprise.

Underwhelming is right, but was it intentional out of respect? Probably not, I’m just fishing.

Also, Geno, Ray man, Lara Croft, Chun Li, Crash, Spyro, Banjo and Kazooie, Shantae, Heihachi, Lloyd, Scorpion, Ameratsu, Nightmare, Sora, BOMBERMAN - all better third party character choices than Dante. Fight me.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
That's not Vergeben, that's "Dante leaker"

He basically leaked ALL of DMCV before it was officially shown off a few weeks back.
Is dmcv coming to switch.

I'm super stoked for luigi mansion 3, animal crossing and warframe

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Forgive me for asking, but what does it have to do with Dixie? I mean, what do you mean exactly?
I'm a bit late so maybe somebody already explained but Dixie's chances as an echo were hampered due to her having a lot of differences with Diddy.

This involves a lot of assumptions, the main one being Sakurai wasn't going to bother with clones now that echos were a thing, he'd just make a bunch of echos and some unique fighters. Since Dixie didn't have a tail, doesn't use a jet pack, and doesn't use a peanut gun, making her a Diddy echo wouldn't make all that much sense.

Chrom/D.Samus showed us that Sakurai was willing to change moveset and animations for echos but these felt like a few alterations too many, and that he'd might as well just make her a clone at that point....

and now it's possible that he may just make her a clone! Isabelle being a clone and not an echo proves that Sakurai is, once again, not restraining himself to a community invented limitation. He'll just straight up make clone characters if he feels like it.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
For those wondering, here is the segment at the last minutes of the Nintendo Direct:

Her receiving a letter was the funniest thing, lmao

Last edited:

eltacoenojado

Smash Journeyman
I don't care about isabelle or animal crossing in general. But, I do have to say, it's going to be hilarious watching her fight Ridley!

Shroob

Sup?
So can people stop paying attention to loz18 now? He was completely wrong about the Direct. Again.
To be brutally honest, all the people who were **** sucking Loz are going to just move back to Vergeben.

As much as I think Vergeben is legit, people flip flop super hard in the leak scene.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
Is there any reason to discredit that Dante leaker? No Geno, but Dante being in makes me incredibly salty. He does conflict a bit with Verge it seems? I still like to think he got lucky, but that's hard. Or that's some kind of lack of information going on.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Dante's coming on November bros
We need an actual link for this. Anyone can screen cap and make this.

Is there any reason to discredit that Dante leaker? No Geno, but Dante being in makes me incredibly salty. He does conflict a bit with Verge it seems? I still like to think he got lucky, but that's hard. Or that's some kind of lack of information going on.
Its not a direct link to his leak. Unless someone has it and I missed it.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Wait..... Vergebren's saying Geno won't be in Smash?

Oh, noooooo........ I'm really hoping he's wrong now.

Hey, where'd ya get that gif? 'Cause Imma make it my signature if Geno does make it.
That's not Vergeben. THAT leak you're looking at claims Dante is in despite a goshdarn Capcom person saying no, he's not.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Well, Isabelle as an unique was totally unexpected, but as a huge Animal Crossing fan, I'm glad the franchise got a new proper representation in Smash, also very glad for her fans, I'm sticking with my boy Villager though. BUT ALSO NEW MAINLINE ANIMAL CROSSING YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
ATs and Mii Costumes (Isabelle was both at some point) characters are just more possible now, Isabelle just reinforces this. It will be interesting to see who gets revealed next, specially in november if we get a focused smash direct. Who knows if we get something in october… if there is no other game taking the focused direct from smash, maybe we got smash in both months (last year october had focused direct on AC and Xenoblade in november)

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Only Sakurai could deliver somebody everyone was expecting and simultaneously have it be surprising.

Anyways that Capcom brawler looked sick and Vergeben has my Axe and if that means Possibly Unique Ken, Possibly Geno, and obviously Alola Bidoof then I'm happy.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Isabelle had the most adorable character reveal trailer in Smash history

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Why are smash fans so spoiled like we got Ridley and Krool and the veterans back and yet people still are mad that we didnt get Issac or skull kid revealed like be happy smash fans you guys keep asking for more and more
This is why characters like these guys are best revealed in a SMASH-focus Direct or during E-3. It doesn't make sense to spend 5 minutes about Smash Bros on a character like this as focused Directs helps hype the characters up. So I believe that we are gonna get another 5 characters in the next Direct before it's released at least.

Geno and Skull Kid would easily destroy the purpose of this Direct and moving them into the Smash focused Direct will help them. It's putting 2 and 2 together

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Just look at all the confirmed newcomers one by one... there is one that sticks out like a sore thumb
Are you actually implying cute characters stick out in smash? Uh...have you played smash before?

Anyway wow that reveal did a lot. First no more chairs! I'm glad I stood my ground and didn't give in, was always a bad way to predict the next newcomer and that first room did not hint at King K. Rool, you can't change my mind.

I feel like our conception of echoes keeps breaking. Is there even a point to Dixie or Shadow being an echo now??? Also if we're going to take Veregeben serious anymore have to seriously consider that Ken might not be an echo... I also have another dissapointing theory that'll i'll get to later.

Overall glad Isabelle is in, but it was defintely an announcement about Animal Crossing switch more than it was about Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom