• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Brawl struck the best balance in terms of newcomer selection as there was something for fans of both new and old whereas Smash 4 favoured more towards more recent candidates whereas Smash Ultimate seems to be favouring more from the retro gamer variety, at least from the current looks from things.

I do hope they strike a good balance though once everything is all said and done so everyone can be happy rather than just one side or the other.
If I recall correctly Melee overall has the youngest newcomers, with Smash For coming after them. I agree though, last two games weren't really balanced.

Chrono.

I always thought that was weird since Yuji Naka wanted Sakurai to put him in Melee. If he had asked in time would SEGA have refused back then I wonder?
I thought it was believed the reason they refused at first was because Yuji Naka had left SEGA shortly before.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I think Brawl struck the best balance in terms of newcomer selection as there was something for fans of both new and old whereas Smash 4 favoured more towards more recent candidates whereas Smash Ultimate seems to be favouring more from the retro gamer variety, at least from the current looks from things.

I do hope they strike a good balance though once everything is all said and done so everyone can be happy rather than just one side or the other.
Well tbh if the character has a unique and fun moveset i'm fine with anyone tbh besides the stupid suggestions out there

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I never cared much for Smash 4's newcomers. And the cuts bothered me smash ultimate is looking like a much better game than smash 4 tbh. And smash 4 is already a petty good game. I honestly cannot wait for ultimate even my Xbox friends who haven't played a Nintendo game since the Wii era are saying how good of a game ultimate looks.

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
In terms of hype for newcomers excluding 64 for obvious reasons

1- WiiU/3ds
2-Melee
3-Brawl
4-Ultimate (so far could change depending on one character)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Brawl's newcomer roster not only excelled in that way, but it was also so varied on many other fronts. You had both simple and complex characters, cartoony creatures and realistic humans, popular and obscure characters, and weapons ranged from fists to swords to explosives and even to farts. It struck a good balance on so many fronts, which is a big reason for why it's so many people's favorite newcomer roster, there really was something for everyone. The only thing it did poorly was gender variety, which it admittedly failed horribly at.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's one NES game being compared to a franchise of games.

I mean, its a little unfair, don't you think?
It's unfair to compare Final Fantasy to any franchise, it has own issues with licensing.

osby

Smash Obsessed

1- WiiU/3ds
2-Melee
3-Brawl
1.Wii U/3DS
2. Brawl (follows For VERY closely)
3. 64
4. Melee
5. Ultimate (open to reevaluation)

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
That's one NES game being compared to a franchise of games.

I mean, its a little unfair, don't you think?
While it's unfair, it is a guest franchise and in that case it's just the music that stands out. And yea that sucks, but licensing issues? Not with Square but the composer?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Trademark filing are only really good indicators of anything if they're directly related to a new game title. For example in Final Fantasy XIV we often know what the name of the new expansion is because SquareEnix trademarks the name sometime before its announcement. General trademarks on titles just for the purpose of Nintendo not letting those trademarks expire so that no one else can claim the names. Regardless of whether they have plans for it or not.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
all games to me were nearly equally hyping regarding newcomers, but I guess I gotta put Brawl on top solely because of Sonic. I have wanted a fair share of characters along the years, but Sonic was in a whole different level

monadoboy

Smash Lord
If we wanna be objective, Melee had the best newcomers (64 shouldn't count because it's the first installment). Things like Zelda, Ganondorf, Peach, Bowser, and Mewtwo are leagues above the Brawl, Smash 4 and Ultimate newcomers combined.

Also

Smash 4's newcomers > Ultimate newcomers (even ignoring my Xenoblade/Awakening bias)

Smash 4's newcomers introduced a lot of franchises like Mega Man, Punch Out, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter vs. Castlevania and Splatoon. The newcomers themselves also came with a lot of things. Things like Shulk, Robin, Corrin, Villager, WFT, Bayo, Cloud all have a lot of properties that are unique and fresh to the franchise, while only Simon and Inkling bring something new and unique to the franchise.

Are we seriously going to pretend that Simon, K.rool and Ridley are bigger than characters from MEGA MAN, STREET FIGHTER, ANIMAL CROSSING and FINAL FANTASY? Come on, now.

CLOUD ****ING STRIFE IS A SMASH 4 NEWCOMER
CLOUD
STRIFE
FROM
FINAL FANTASY VII

You can't seriously tell me that a forgotten villain and a villain from a franchise almost in life support are bigger than that.

Edit: I forgot PAC-MAN himself, lol.

Last edited:

JadeRock 5599

Smash Cadet
Ok so Ridley was shown and then next direct we got dark Samus and K Rool.
I'm thinking Dixie as the echo this direct and it'll probably be skull kid. Like Dixie walks through a forest area and Skull kid annoys her and then they both get a splash screen.

I want an MH Hunter after that rathalos reveal though.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
At first SEGA turned down Sonic for Brawl for some dumb reason.

Obviously it all worked out in the end but Jesus.
Kind of want to believe that Sonic 06’s reputation was what made SEGA change their minds.

“Crap! We need good publicity and we need it now!”

:p

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Yeah Brawl newcomers were really good. Too bad Sonic was made so cheap and obnoxious. Sonic mains fight me you know it's true though! Thankfully smash ultimate is fixing all that

osby

Smash Obsessed
If we wanna be objective, Melee had the best newcomers (64 shouldn't count because it's the first installment). Things like Zelda, Ganondorf, Peach, Bowser, and Mewtwo are leagues above the Brawl, Smash 4 and Ultimate newcomers combined.

Also

Smash 4's newcomers > Ultimate newcomers (even ignoring my Xenoblade/Awakening bias)

Smash 4's newcomers introduced a lot of franchises like Mega Man, Punch Out, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter vs. Castlevania and Splatoon. The newcomers themselves also came with a lot of things. Things like Shulk, Robin, Corrin, Villager, WFT, Bayo, Cloud all have a lot of properties that are unique and fresh to the franchise, while only Simon and Inkling bring something new and unique to the franchise.

Are we seriously going to pretend that Simon, K.rool and Ridley are bigger than characters from MEGA MAN, STREET FIGHTER, ANIMAL CROSSING and FINAL FANTASY? Come on, now.

CLOUD
STRIFE
FROM
FINAL FANTASY VII

You can't seriously tell me that a forgotten villain and a villain from a franchise almost in life support are bigger than that.
Mostly agreed.

And wow, okay, I might have underestimated Melee a little. I didn't liked how little franchises it introduced but the ones you listed are really a big deal.

Last edited:

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings

Also

CLOUD
STRIFE
FROM
FINAL FANTASY VII

**** it i will say it.

LUCINA>RIDLEY
SHULK>K ROOL

I only speak the truth

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Well tbh if the character has a unique and fun moveset i'm fine with anyone tbh besides the stupid suggestions out there
I don't see how calling everything you don't like "Dumb" or "stupid" is going to interest anyone in having this conversation.
They're all models and pixels in different stories people made up for money.
It's really not worse to like one character over another.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If we get a Bethesda Rep, it’s the Dovahkin or bust for me. Vault Boy is cool and Doomslayer is alright. The Nazi Killer Guy is probably the only one I’m not cool with (not cause he kills nazis, tho. I’m cool with that) And I highly doubt it would happen but Corvo Attano and/or Emily Kaldwin from the Dishonored series would work very well in Smash due to thier unique skill set.

But only if Dovahkin is in first. I need to use the Thu’um in battle! I need to see a Whiterun stage! I need Sweetrolls as an item! And I need a Dwarven Centurion Assist Trophy! I need to take an ancient arrow to the knee! I need this song! And I Kirby has to scream “FUS RO DAH”!”

Man, I wanna play Skyrim now but our PS3 is busted. So I’m getting my TES fix with Oblivion on PC.

Whoa, Dunwall would make for an amazing stage! Can’t believe I never thought of this!

View attachment 163756
...Excuse me, there was a discussion about Bethesda characters in Smash and I wasn't invited? :c

Naturally I agree fully with this. Vault Boy is great, but Fallout has yet to be on any Nintendo system. Even Cloud managed one weird spin-off, and early Final Fantasies were also there. He would fit the cartoony aspect, but then there's some realistic guns and violence, albeit of the Looney Tunes variety.

Doomguy has a lot of thematic overlap with Samus (yes, they wouldn't be clonews, but both are power-armored futuristic marines), and again is noted for violence. I feel like Doomguy and Master Chief are pretty well major competition for each other as well, since add the fact they both have a similar look. I wouldn't be against Doomguy...as long as that didn't prevent the Dragonborn from getting in...

Wolfenstein content though - now that's hardcore realistic guns, so I think that's not going to happen. All three games are M rated, but the Elder Scrolls series definitely seems the tamest of the four in terms of violence.

And I will never miss an opportunity to post this:

I loved Brawl's newcomer list, mainly because Pokémon Trainer was the character I didn't know I wanted. He came out of nowhere, and as soon as I saw him on the DOJO, I knew he would be one of my favorites. In terms of the characters otherwise, we did get a good mix of characters, which I liked. Sm4sh got me really involved in speculation, but I was really disappointed since they added none of the characters I wanted and even cut a number of my favorites, meanwhile the additions were mostly from new games I didn't really know. Ultimate so far has added almost everyone I wanted back in the Sm4sh era, and I've only got two pie-in-the-sky characters I still really want to see.

1- WiiU/3ds
2-Melee
3-Brawl
For me:

1: Ultimate
2: Brawl
3: Melee
4: For

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I'll never understood the Lucina love. She's honestly really dull and bland. She's not awful but I don't get the fanbase for her beyond the fact she's a cute anime style girl.

Can anyone convince me there's more to her character than what i saw while playing through awakening?

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I don't see how calling everything you don't like "Dumb" or "stupid" is going to interest anyone in having this conversation.
They're all models and pixels in different stories people made up for money.
It's really not worse to like one character over another.
I'm talking about the likes of Anime characters and the likes of Shrek.

Tell me they ain't dumb ideas for fighters wait you can't ;)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

Also

CLOUD
STRIFE
FROM
FINAL FANTASY VII

1. You can't compare WiiU with all the DLC to the first half of the ultimate roster. That's not a fair fight. Take out DLC, and then yes, two Metroid newcomers, Castlevania and Splatoon, and a long-awaited DK/villain rep compare very favorably to the likes of Wii Fit/Animal Crossing (not that I don't love those)
  2. Yes, those two characters are more hype than "angst-y big sword man"

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
CLOUD
STRIFE
FROM
FINAL FANTASY VII

Jokes about size aside, I can assure you that Ridley was the biggest and most exciting reveal for many people.

Not saying Cloud wasn't a hype reveal for the fanbase, but the feeling of getting someone who very few people requested because it seemed impossible isn't comparable to the feeling of finally getting a popular character after almost two decades of support and Sakurai himself using the words "pretty much impossible".

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'll never understood the Lucina love. She's honestly really dull and bland. She's not awful but I don't get the fanbase for her beyond the fact she's a cute anime style girl.

Can anyone convince me there's more to her character than what i saw while playing through awakening?
its kind of hard to convince someone to change their entire outlook and opinion on something they've already decided on, but I'll go ahead and try to dig up an analytic essay I wrote on her character. If I can't I may as well just re-write the whole thing anyway since it's kinda old

edit: found it, but i'm gonna go ahead and add and remove some stuff

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I'm talking about the likes of Anime characters and the likes of Shrek.

Tell me they ain't dumb ideas for fighters wait you can't ;)
Both Shrek and Goku I would welcome in smash unironcially. At least they're had major roles in Nintendo games unlike Cloud tbh

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Both Shrek and Goku I would welcome in smash unironcially. At least they're had major roles in Nintendo games unlike Cloud tbh
Please tell me you are trolling for Shrek.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
In terms of most likely Bethesda newcomer:

1. Doomguy. He has the most history with Nintendo so he's the easiest pick.
2. Donovan? Dovokahin? Donvhkain? Donatello? (whichever Skyrim guy is in CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica 's sig.) Has a **** ton of moveset potential plus recent ports to the Switch and Amazon Echo.
Impossible:

4. Generic Fallout MC - Rarely any OG weapons
5. Wolfenstein Don't know too much about this series but I like the **** Nazis theme.
6. Vault Boy- G&W echo lmao

Last edited:

bbybae

Smash Cadet
tbh if Sora gets in I will be legitimately upset. Any property that close to disney brushing shoulders with Nintendo would be as bad as if they put real cars, like a Mercedes or something, into Mario Kart 8

oh wait

(edit: its bad enough that, as alpharad pointed out, with cloud being in the game, every character in smash is one degree of separation away from mickey mouse)

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Please tell me you are trolling for Shrek.
I love Shrek 2 the video game. I played it on GameCube as a kid quite a bit.

For me has more significance to me than someone like Wii Fit Trainer.

For me having to be created for a video game isn't that important as long as they've been had games on Nintendo consoles good enough for me tbh.

That's just me though obviously I'm not in charge of the roster.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jokes about size aside, I can assure you that Ridley was the biggest and most exciting reveal for many people.

Not saying Cloud wasn't a hype reveal for the fanbase, but the feeling of getting someone who very few people requested because it seemed impossible isn't comparable to the feeling of finally getting a popular character after almost two decades of support and Sakurai himself using the words "pretty much impossible".
Tbh, Ridley's support is more localised than Cloud, who is a big deal in pretty much anywhere and he was also considered impossible since Brawl, even though he was wanted.

There is a reason both were memes and Ridley waited longer but I'd say Cloud is a bigger deal, my bias against Ridley aside.

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
Oh my goodness.... Shrek??? These requests have seriously jumped the shark.

Loz18-Echo

Banned via Warnings
I love Shrek 2 the video game. I played it on GameCube as a kid quite a bit.

For me has more significance to me than someone like Wii Fit Trainer.

For me having to be created for a video game isn't that important as long as they've been had games on Nintendo consoles good enough for me tbh.

That's just me though obviously I'm not in charge of the roster.
Your trolling right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom