• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Each Smash Blog post has a number attributed to it, as seen in the URL of the images on the site. For example, here's the address for the second image from the Alolan Exeggutor post.
View attachment 163323
This includes Sakurai's "Memories" post, and any other post on the site. For example, here's the web URL for Toon Link's memories post from today.
View attachment 163324

If we count up Bowser and Toon Link's Fighter posts, that leaves a 3-number gap between Alolan Executor and Bowser.

View attachment 163325

(Found this through PushDustin).

Meaning the Direct was going to have a fighter reveal for sure, one post for the Reveal Trailer being added, one for the Fighter Video, and a third one of some degree. There was no blog update the day of the direct, and it doesn't update on weekends, as we know.
This makes me appreciate that Karate Joe leak all the more, since the fact the images in those images were labelled 134 shows pretty solid understanding of how these files would be sourced for the site.

Unless they happen to be real, which deep deep down is what I still wish.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Is it time for me to mention Bosh--

"Sakurai picks"

Oh..... nevermind :yoshi:
You know speaking about Boshi, I'd actually think we might see him as a skin or Echo Fighter if we get Geno.
It kinda seems like an obvious decision at that point.
Just out of curiosity, does SE actually own Boshi and his likeness?
Because that's kinda.....odd considering.

Shroob

Sup?
This makes me appreciate that Karate Joe leak all the more, since the fact the images in those images were labelled 134 shows pretty solid understanding of how these files would be sourced for the site.

They're fake, that 134 killing it.

If the leak were real, it should have gone as follows:

Reveal trailer: 134
Moveset trailer: 135
Memories: 136

They really ****ed it up in one of the smallest possible ways.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really don't expect a "Wacky ZANY" pick this time to be frank.

Going off of the characters we have already.

And going off of what has "Leaked" quote unqoute.

All picks for this game seem to be very fan focused instead of "Doin' it for the lulz".

I don't mind not having a Wii-Fit/Rob kind of pick this game if it means more fanbases get their long-time requests.
I don't expect one because I don't think we'll get any new Nintendo franchise beside Splatoon.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
You know speaking about Boshi, I'd actually think we might see him as a skin or Echo Fighter if we get Geno.
It kinda seems like an obvious decision at that point.
Just out of curiosity, does SE actually own Boshi and his likeness?
Because that's kinda.....odd considering.
I don't think it's ever been that clear, and I think Boshi is the only grey-area in the whole game. Like you know in SMRPG which characters belong to Nintendo and which ones belong to Square due to all the OCs being of unique races or species... EXCEPT Boshi.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

It's most likely fake because it labels the memory as post 134 instead of 135 or 136 since we always got the "Fighter of the day" before the "Memory" post.

But this leaker clearly did a great research behind it, one of the best fake I've seen for Ultimate.

StormC

Smash Hero
I just set up my new signature of confirmed/wants and now I wonder if in a couple of days I'll have to shift things around again...

Welp, time hoping for some good news in the morning.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I really don't expect a "Wacky ZANY" pick this time to be frank.

Going off of the characters we have already.

And going off of what has "Leaked" quote unqoute.

All picks for this game seem to be very fan focused instead of "Doin' it for the lulz".

I don't mind not having a Wii-Fit/Rob kind of pick this game if it means more fanbases get their long-time requests.
Very rarely there's a character added for "lulz", I think out of all the roster decisions, it was probably Duck Hunt.
That's about it though.
( I'm also not counting characters like Jigglypuff or Pichu given they were easy extras)
While it doesn't seem extremely likely, I could definitely see some characters that aren't highly anticipated or at all.
Sakurai always tries to thrown in concepts and characters that he personally finds interest in, and I'm definitely sure that this iteration of Smash will definitely have one or two in there.
I mean it's even apart of Smash 64, I'd argue it's one of the core parts of the series and even Sakurai's design philosophy. He always tries to deliver on both sides of fan favorites and unique fighters.
So who knows, I feel the next reveal may help solidify this or it may help go against this.

I'm just leaning on the idea that just because we've seen fairly requested characters, it doesn't necessarily mean the entire newcomer roster will be filled as such.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Very rarely there's a character added for "lulz", I think out of all the roster decisions, it was probably Duck Hunt.
That's about it though.
( I'm also not counting characters like Jigglypuff or Pichu given they were easy extras)
While it doesn't seem extremely likely, I could definitely see some characters that aren't highly anticipated or at all.
Sakurai always tries to thrown in concepts and characters that he personally finds interest in, and I'm definitely sure that this iteration of Smash will definitely have one or two in there.
I mean it's even apart of Smash 64, I'd argue it's one of the core parts of the series and even Sakurai's design philosophy. He always tries to deliver on both sides of fan favorites and unique fighters.
So who knows, I feel the next reveal may help solidify this or it may help go against this.

I'm just leaning on the idea that just because we've seen fairly requested characters, it doesn't necessarily mean the entire newcomer roster will be filled as such.
I honestly feel like someone like Richter fits this bill.

Sakurai even said in his interview he expected people to say "Who's this guy?"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's only one person that will help solve this problem

And that person is....

ugh crash boards not working again. Here's the link https://banner2.kisspng.com/2018032...oot-5abc988c1ad103.3652420615223092601098.jpg

Seriously imagine the hype. It's enough for me to start coming here in caps going ape**** crazy my most wanted got in Smash until I get a warning lmao
Crash boards crashed your Crash image.

How delightfully ironic.

I'm just hoping for a pick that wasn't seen coming or a change-up that'll change expectations a bit.

My hope is in vain, but eh.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's about it though.

I hope. Pandering to the base is nice and made a lot of people happy but I like Smash representing series that wasn't in Smash 64. Not that I will complain loudly if no such thing happen but it'll nice to see a smaller franchise or a big but 'unfitting' franchise having a fighter in the roster.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, thinking about it over the last few days.

I don't really 'care' if the last few picks are 'boring' as soo many people so eloquently put it.

.....because those 'boring' picks are characters that people have wanted for years.

Isaac? Check
Skull Kid? Check
Geno? Uh, duh
Inciner---Okay no, but Pokemon always gets a newcomer anyway.

We're going to know the entire Roster in a month, maybe a month and a half tops if they announce the next Smash direct during this one.

Essora

Smash Cadet
Honestly, thinking about it over the last few days.

I don't really 'care' if the last few picks are 'boring' as soo many people so eloquently put it.

.....because those 'boring' picks are characters that people have wanted for years.

Isaac? Check
Skull Kid? Check
Geno? Uh, duh
Inciner---Okay no, but Pokemon always gets a newcomer anyway.

We're going to know the entire Roster in a month, maybe a month and a half tops if they announce the next Smash direct during this one.
That's kind of what my thoughts are. Although I'm probably biased, since Simon was my guy and I got him, but I'm incredibly happy with the roster so far.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
News you say? Rumor has it the Direct will be on the 13th. Sounds plausible.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's about it though.

I don't think even Duck Hunt was a character added just for funsies, it's still one of the most iconic games on the NES and was quite revolutionary, and the dog especially left a strong memory on those who had played it because of its questionable loyalty. Although a character's addition might seem extremely odd at first, there's always some line of thought behind it, in the end it always makes sense.

I don't think unique fighter concepts necessarily have to be obscure or surprising characters though, a character like Skull Kid would likely be very unconventional as his whole personality is that of a trickster, and his powers have all sorts of varying effects aswell, he'd tick both the unique and popular boxes. Maybe our most unique fighter concept in general is Pokémon Trainer, and he and his Pokémon are anything but obscure.

I could still see us getting a less requested character though, but it's a bit difficult to say as this newcomer roster is definitely different from past ones, both in size and focus, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But neighter Call of Duty, FIFA or GTA are feasable for Smash.
CoD and GTA use real guns, and FIFA uses real life players, so licesing those content for Smash is impossible.
So...just because real guns exist in those games....it means any content whatsoever is literally impossible to be licensed.

Then how did Metal Gear get a free pass?
"But Snake don't use guns in Smash"

Doesn't matter. You just said real guns present in the series makes said series impossible to be licensed period.

So I ask again; why did Metal Gear get a free pass?

You're also confusing "content" with "playable fighter".
Content could also refer to trophies, stages, music tracks, etc.
So even if a fighter isn't possible without guns or "real people", why can't there be anything else? We know guest series don't have to have a playable fighter for content. Hell, Verge didn't even say we were getting a CHARACTER for Minecraft, just either a stage or an Assist.

Minecraft on the other hand doesn't have any of those problems, and being an iconic series that is heavely associated with Nintendo in Japan surely does help. It helped Monster Hunter and it helped Shovel Knight. Minecraft is in the same place as those two, especially since it is extremely recognizable unlike a generic soldier from CoD or gangster from GTA.
a. You know what really helped Monster Hunter? CAPCOM ALREADY BEING INVOLVED. And it took content from the Mega Man series and Street Fighter series before ANYTHING from Monster Hunter showed up.

b. Ultimate's draft was made in December of 2015, long before Shovel Knight had ANY Japanese presence. So no, having association with Nintendo in Japan actually didn't help get him in. You know what did? His presence on the Ballot in the West. You notice how characters and Assists have correlation to the Ballot? Yeah.... (and yes, I'm aware not everything was Ballot related, but a LOT is).

c. How is Minecraft heavily associated with Nintendo in Japan, let alone back when Ultimate was starting development? Anything from last year wouldn't be relevant.

d. Niko Bellic from IV would beg to differ. That's a name I know even never playing any of the GTA games. Same with CJ and Big Smoke (granted, more because of memes than anything else) from San Andreas. Both games being within the Top 20 best-selling games of all time.
And GTAV is just under Minecraft on the same list at #3, so I would imagine the protagonists from there are going to be recognizable to a large crowd as well.

And even if someone makes another paragon with othe rpopular games of the moment like Fortnite, Minecraft proved to be a top selling and relevant game for a DECADE, which inspired a whole new type of sand box game. Fortnite's fame is already going down according to the trends, while Minecraft's influence can be seen even in some games made by huge companies (Dragon Quest builders comes to mind).
....and that means nothing in terms of getting content in Smash.
I've never denied that Minecraft is big.
However, the point is (which you seem to not understand) being "big" isn't enough to get you something in Smash. It simply isn't.

Besides no one in their right mind would dismiss Minecraft when this is an actual OFFICIAL thing
View attachment 163320

Where is muh CoD or GTA Nintendo console now?
Oh. I guess by that logic, we're DEFINITELY getting Dragon Ball content.

Who in their right mind would dismiss Goku now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Essora

Smash Cadet
Well, they did say "near" future... Still sad to hear about the damage Hokkaido took, hopefully as many people are able to be rescued as possible.

D

Deleted member

In about 6 hours from now, it'd be 9/12 in Japan. Wasn't there something about Dengeki or someone else hinting at something on 9/13? Because if that's the case, we might get a Direct announcement today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, it's kind of a crazy thought to think about.

By the time that the Direct FINALLY comes, if it comes this week, September will be at its halfway point.

October could be a dead zone....oooor they could announce probably the last Smash Direct during it(Seems odd it wouldn't be in November, but October is going to be hella dead otherwise).

After that last Smash Direct.... we'll probably have our final reveals, and we'll know the entire roster.

Sakurai wants to beat the leaks to the punch this time, and if it IS in October... goddamn we may be but a month away from knowing practically everything.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
However, the point is (which you seem to not understand) being "big" isn't enough to get you something in Smash. It simply isn't.
No. But it helps. That's pretty much why we got Cloud. Someone no one expected in a million years.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No. But it helps. That's pretty much why we got Cloud. Someone no one expected in a million years.
Eh, I expected him if we'd ever get a FF character. But no, he was not an easy guess. Too many people were hung up on this "must have Nintendo relevance" bull****, when that was never a key factor in any way. It can help, at best.

So even if a fighter isn't possible without guns or "real people", why can't there be anything else? We know guest series don't have to have a playable fighter for content. Hell, Verge didn't even say we were getting a CHARACTER for Minecraft, just either a stage or an Assist.
He didn't say that either. He said we're getting Minecraft content and he's guessing it might be a Stage or Assist. There is no clarification on it.

I hope you did notice that wasn't ever once my argument. It was "If Microsoft is gone to for content, I consider Minecraft content to be a lock among it, regardless of what other content may exist, if any." I clearly said that poorly the first time, and I apologize for that. But being you never replied to me to begin with, I can't tell if you fully got what I meant to say.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It just hit me. Do you know the main reason why I think Echo Fighters share a number with who they are echoing?

It's because echo fighters are usually made last. I remember Sakurai saying that Dark Pit and Lucina were added late in development. That is probably the case again. So if we were shown any echo fighters with the true number of when they were added to the game, it would spoil how many characters we were going to get.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
It's this:

Dengeki is a Japanese gaming magazine
Japanese gaming magazine? But it's not about Nintendo in general. I mean, what does that has to do with Nintendo? The tweet sounds like a mystery to me. 'Surprise announcement' could be just hinting at new game. but it sounds so cryptic.

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It just hit me. Do you know the main reason why I think Echo Fighters share a number with who they are echoing?

It's because echo fighters are usually made last. I remember Sakurai saying that Dark Pit and Lucina were added late in development. That is probably the case again. So if we were shown any echo fighters with the true number of when they were added to the game, it would spoil how many characters we were going to get.
They share the number cause they're clone characters.

Danpal65

Smash Lord
Japanese gaming magazine? But it's not about Nintendo in general. I mean, what does that has to do with Nintendo? The tweet sounds like a mystery to me. 'Surprise announcement' could be just hinting at new game. but it sounds so cryptic.
It’s an announcement on the 13/9 in Japan and was retweeted by a Nintendo magazine. An announcement on that date highly suggests that it’s be in relation to something covered in the Direct.

D

Deleted member

Okay, so in regards to the Tweet in mind, I did a bit of translating and research, and the Tweet @dengekinintendo retweeted was from the official account for a train board game called "Platinum Train".

"There's gonna be a surprise announcement on 9/13! ...Maybe. Please look forward to it!" is what it said. It is suspicious why the Nintendo divison of Dengeki retweeted it. BUT. This might be another huge PR move, as I've been seeing various teases like a Splatoon x Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp campaign.

All I can really say on the matter is that it's best to keep your eyes on the Nintendo twitter accounts for the next two mornings or so.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
It’s an announcement on the 13/9 in Japan and was retweeted by a Nintendo magazine. An announcement on that date highly suggests that it’s be in relation to something covered in the Direct.
Oh, okay, I get it now!

Anyways, I'm not sure if already posted, and going back is such a hassle for me. But AC tweeted this a hour ago:

Apparentely, we were supposed to get a sneak peek, but all we can see is only the splatting and the dirty colours. Could a Direct be imminent?

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman

:ultyoshi::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultdoc::ultlucina::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultroy::ultgnw::ultmetaknight::ultzss::ultdiddy::ultlucas::ultolimar::ultlucario::ultwiifittrainer::ultrosalina::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultpalutena::ultpacman::ultrobin:ultshulk::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta:
Well, that's going to take a lot of time... probably until Ultimate drops. What do you guys think will be the final post on the blog? I thought it would be Final Destination, but they already used that one,

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
You know what I was thinking would be a really cool, if small, addition?

The ability to play different background music through separate audio ports.

It's not an important thing, but it would be nice when playing multiplayer to ensure I always get the song I want (Gangplank Galleon, baby!) whilst whomever I'm playing can still listen to whatever they're into.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Oh, okay, I get it now!

Anyways, I'm not sure if already posted, and going back is such a hassle for me. But AC tweeted this a hour ago:

Apparentely, we were supposed to get a sneak peek, but all we can see is only the splatting and the dirty colours. Could a Direct be imminent?
Splatoon x Animal Crossing?

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, that's going to take a lot of time... probably until Ultimate drops. What do you guys think will be the final post on the blog? I thought it would be Final Destination, but they already used that one,
It pains me to say this, but I think my boi will be on the blog on November 21 to coincide with the anniversary of his first appearance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom