• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just got an idea. If they really wanted to explain Ridley shrinking in size in order for him to be playable, they could use the potential adventure mode.

They could have him be infiltrated in the Smash roster as a spy, possibly using some kind of poison mushroom with long-term efects (courtesy of Bowser) as an explanation for his size. That way, he could also be a boss by using normal mushrooms in order to revert back to "normal".
If Olimar didn't need an explanation in the SSE, Ridley shouldn't need one either.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I wonder how much shorter the Direct is gonna be with some of this stuff being announced after the scheduled date of the Direct

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I would love Doc Louis as an echo of Little Mac.
He would be the greatest echo
They are useful but it's going to be weird having a tier list for a 70+ roster. I wonder if any fighting game has that or how much use it has at that point.
It doesn’t matter how many characters are in, they’ll force a tier list to be made instead of not having one (which is why the “Everyone is Here” tagline is nothing but a ploy to make tier list makers suffer every time they must go through all 70+ characters multiple times)
Upgrade Rodin to playable too.
And make Off the Hook an assist trophy.
And also have Off the Hook play atleast 3 songs on Moray Towers

?????????????

Smash Master
I drafted up an idea for a Karate Joe moveset, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a video on it, or just post it. It has a TON of Rhythm Heaven references, so unless you're super familiar with the series, it might not make sense.

Rhythm Heaven:
I believe Rhythm Heaven is, at this point, Nintendo's largest or most referenced unrepresented franchise to not have a playable character in Smash Bros. I'd like to see a character addition in the same way we got Villager or Wii Fit Trainer in the last Smash game.

Karate Joe:
The Rhythm Heaven series doesn't have a "main character" per se. It has hosts, but those change every game, and you don't play as them in the minigames which are the REAL driving force of the series.

Karate Joe is THE most recurring minigame character, not only being one of the only characters to be in every Rhythm Heaven installment, but usually having MULTIPLE games. Many Rhythm Heaven fans see Joe as the "face" of the series because of this, and he is often at the front of promotional videos.

Additionally, I like the choice because he's already set up as a fighting character; you don't need to stretch to build up his moveset. He's also my personal favorite character of the series.

Moveset Premise:
Karate Joe's main "gimmick" is building basic combos with his karate moves. His regular neutral attack and his tilts all function in a similar fashion to Marth's "Dancing Blade" special, but the more you can string combos, the stronger the attack. Joe's combos are stronger than any of his Smash attacks.

However, Joe's Smash attacks, Aerials, many specials, and other maneuvers make him "morph" into other Rhythm Heaven characters. No matter WHO the "base" Rhythm Heaven character is, I like this idea of referencing the others this strongly. This concept is somewhat borrowed from other proposed "Rhythm Heaven character" movesets.

Moveset:
Neutral: Jab- A basic punch. If Joe performs this move twice and then presses the button again a third time to the same rhythmic structure of the first two, he does a larger third punch with his other hand; a reference to Karate Joe's 3-Hit Combo. The third punch deals large damage and knockback, like a powerful Smash attack.

Dash: Samurai Slice- Joe morphs into the Samurai and swings his katana horizontally once, then morphs back.

Forward Tilt: Karate Kick- A roundhouse kick, like the type Joe performs in the "Karate Man Kicks!" minigame. If performed after a Jab, it gains much more power and knockback.

Up Tilt: Uppercut- An uppercut, like the type Joe performs in the "Karate Man Combos!" minigame. If performed after a Jab, it gains much more power and knockback.

Down Tilt: Leg Sweep- A low, forward round kick, like the type Joe performs in the "Karate Man Combos!" minigame. If performed after a Jab, it gains much more power and knockback.

Forward Smash: Figure Fighter- Joe morphs into the muscular Figure Fighter and launches a pre-built 3-Hit punch combo (although it's weaker than the neutral one).

Up Smash: Clappy Trio- Joe morphs into one of the members of The Clappy Trio and claps above his head.

Down Smash: Tap Trial- Joe morphs into the Tap Trial girl, puts her hands in a monkey/ballet pose above her head, and tap dances on both sides around herself twice.

Neutral Aerial: Karate Punch- A basic aerial punch. It's animation is a reference to the low punch Joe performs in "Karate Man Combos!"

Forward Aerial: Air Rally- Joe morphs into Baxter, a plane pilot dog with a badminton racket, and smacks it in a forward arc.

Back Aerial: Munchy Monk- Joe morphs into the Munchy Monk as he turns around and slaps his wrist while eating a dumpling. Short range, but high knockback.

Up Aerial: Blue Birds- Joe morphs into one of the birds from the "Blue Birds" minigames and stretches his neck/beak upward. An upward arc that ends in a spike.

Down Aerial: Tap Stomp- Joe again morphs into Tap Trail girl, and plummets to the ground feet first in a powerful stomp. This is a reference to the jump move in Tap Trial.

Grab: Space Dance- Joe morphs into a Space Dancer from the "Space Dance" minigame and grabs the opponent. All grab moves are references to the "Space Dance" minigame.

Pummel: Pa-Pa-Pa- As the Space Dancer, Joe claps his hands against the opponent.

Forward Throw: Pa-Pa-Pa-Punch!- A punch that launches the opponent forward.

Back Throw: Let's Sit Down!- As the Space Dancer, Joe squats while facing the opposite direction, tossing the opponent.

Up Throw: And Pose!- A salute that tosses the opponent upward.

Down Throw: Squat- Joe morphs into Space Gramps and sits on the opponent.

Floor Attack: Floor Combo- Joe low punches to one side, leg sweeps the other, and gets up.

Edge Attack: Rolling Kick- Joe somersaults while kicking back onto the stage.

Special Moves:
Neutral Special: Karate Man- Functions as a projectile version of Joe's Jab attack; Joe punches a flower pot forward. If Joe performs this move twice and then presses the button again a third time to the same rhythmic structure of the first two, he does a larger third punch with his other hand that launches a large rock. The rock deals larger damage and knockback, but not as much as a direct punch.

Side Special: Glee Club- Joe summons a Chorus Kid in front of him to his left side. He sings for a very short duration, which reflects projectiles. It can be used three times in a row, summoning additional Chorus Kids (for a total of three); afterwards, it resets to one. If the third Chorus Kid is summoned to the same rhythmic structure of the first two, the three Chorus Kids will do an "ending scream," a long range AoE sonic attack that can't be reflected.

Up Special: See-Saw- Joe morphs into Mr. Saw from the "See-Saw" minigame, while summoning Mr. See and a see-saw. Mr. See launches Joe WAY upward with the see-saw, and Joe slams back down in an explosion of blue spikes. It functions similarly to the "Super Dedede Jump," but with a higher jump.

Down Special: Ringside- Joe morphs into the Wrestler from the "Ringside" minigame and does a very brief pose. In this form, Joe is immobile, but opponents in contact with the Wrestler get launched back. Joe has unbeatable "Super Armor" in this form.

Final Smash: Karate Combo- A flurry of items launches from the foreground towards Joe, including pots, rocks, bombs, and barrels, as Joe rapidly strikes them away across the battlefield. Achieves a similar effect to the "Wii Fit" Final Smash.

Animations and Appearances:
Shield: Joe blocks with his arms.

Roll: Joe morphs into a seal from the "Flipper-Flop" minigame and "flipper rolls" over.

Sidestep: Joe does a goofy, cartoony spin out of the way.

Air Dodge: Joe morphs into a dancer from the "Lockstep" minigame and performs their pose in shadow.

Crouch: Joe crouches in the same fashion as he does in the "Karate Man Combos!" minigame.

Side Taunt: Joe blushes and smiles, like when he does well in his minigames.

Up Taunt: Joe smiles smugly while holding his arm and fist pumping.

Down Taunt: A thought bubble appears as Joe thinks about a random food item from Super Smash Bros.

Idle: Joe bobs his head rhythmically, just like in his own games.

Walk: Joe scoots slowly forward one leg at a time.

Run: Joe runs; nothing special.

Jump: Joe jumps, taking a pose (but not morphing) reminiscent of the minigame "Night Walk."

Double Jump: A rolling somersault jump.

On-Screen: Joe ducks in, punches a lightbulb away, and performs his combo attack (with objects) from "Karate Man Combos!," ending with an uppercut again a barrel.

Kirby Hat: Kirby gets Joe's nose and hairstyle.

Palette Swaps:
White- Default
Blue- Reference to Rhythm Heaven Fever "Karate Man."
Red/Orange- Reference to Rhythm Heaven Fever "Karate Man 2."
Green- For Green Team (is that still a thing?)
Grey- Reference to Joe's official artwork when he's heavily shadowed.
Purple- Reference to Joe's P1 outfit in two-player Karate Man.
Pink- Reference to Joe's P2 outfit in two-player Karate Man.
Black- Reference to "Karate Man Senior."

I think I spent at least two hours on this yesterday lol. I think many concepts of it could be applied to any Rhythm Heaven character for Smash Bros., but Karate Joe is still my favorite for many reasons. I'd love to know what you think!

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Also I fear any games that may have been viewed as insensitive to recent events might be removed as well.
turns out the character reveal was actually Wiscash and he used Earthquake in his trailer, and he ends up getting removed from the game as a result. that fishboy is bad news

Last edited:

JayPercent

Smash Rookie

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I like translating the replies to the Japanese Nintendo twitter and seeing that the Japanese all bring up the direct too.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
"Hello sir, do you have any Smash news?"

"No"

"OK, bye!"

---

"Hello sir, do you have Direct news?"

"No"

"OK, bye!"

---

"Hello sir, do you have a date for Smash news or Direct news?"

"Yes, we are going to delay them even more"

903.gif

The wait is already so bad, I swear, I couldn't take another delay.

Freakin' Mother Nature, taking it's vengeance at the worst time possible. Even if we deserve it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
68. Bandana Dee(Kirby) - a trans icon
69. Nephenee(Fire Emblem Path of Radiance) - the L-word
69e. Quan(Fire Emblem 4) - Gae Bolg user
70. Celes(Final Fantasy VI) - bisexual
71. Elma(Xenoblade Chronicles X) - the L-word

That's literally me, which is why I wish we got a generic class from FE with various character skins ala Bowser Jr.
Like, for a Lance user? Have Ephraim as the base character and then have Lukas, Nephenee, Donnel, etc all as alternate skins.
Pffff, Elma’s bi/pan if anything
Prediction -
Professor Hector (R.O.B's creator) will be a Dr Mario echo and Gyromite will get a stage.

View attachment 163100
I just got up and I can already tell I won’t be able to sleep tonight

JayPercent

Smash Rookie
I like translating the replies to the Japanese Nintendo twitter and seeing that the Japanese all bring up the direct too.
I think every single person interested in Nintendo news is eagerly awaiting for the Direct confirmation date/time, regardless of their birthplace.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Do you guys remember when everyone was freaking out that Cloud was literally just Ike? That was some funny irrelevance.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
"Hello sir, do you have any Smash news?"

"No"

"OK, bye!"

---

"Hello sir, do you have Direct news?"

"No"

"OK, bye!"

---

"Hello sir, do you have a date for Smash news or Direct news?"

"Yes, we are going to delay them even more"

View attachment 163101

The wait is already so bad, I swear, I couldn't take another delay.

Freakin' Mother Nature, taking it's vengeance at the worst time possible. Even if we deserve it.
This is all planet Earth's fault. We must seek revenge. If everyone on Earth were to stop recycling and shut down all forms of renewable energy thus ****ing over nature and having humanity on the brink of extinction in the next few 100 years then I think that's fair to what Earth did to us.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Do you guys remember when everyone was freaking out that Cloud was literally just Ike? That was some funny irrelevance.
Though Ike was the template for him if I'm not mistaken... So, I mean it worked out but yeah...

Also who saw :ultbayonetta: coming? Like who?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
This is all planet Earth's fault. We must seek revenge. If everyone on Earth were to stop recycling and shut down all forms of renewable energy thus ****ing over nature and having humanity on the brink of extinction in the next few 100 years then I think that's fair to what Earth did to us.
Personally, I am not a fan of the earth, I prefer the air.:ultfalco:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Name a stupid reason you play as a character.

I like playing as both Ike and Cloud because of Zabuza from Naruto - ever since his character I've loved cool, oversized swords.

?????????????

Smash Master
People have hard time differentiating sword users for some reason.
Right!? It's not like we've seen a fighting game where multiple characters can have swords and yet they're almost all different coughSoulcaliburcough.

There's still plenty of "sword-styles" we haven't seen in Smash. Katana, rapier, dual wield... absolutely do not mind more "sword users" in Smash if they still bring something new to the fight.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
It would've been better if they had announced that Pokemon Switch earlier, I know someone who really wanted it and expected it but bought a normal Switch anyway. You'll probably see something similar when the Smash Bros Switch gets formally announced

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wasn’t apart of that “everyone”...that was my first time hearing of him...and I was more of a “who?” person thanks to not paying Final Fantasy
Name a stupid reason you play as a character.

I like playing as both Ike and Cloud because of Zabuza from Naruto - ever since his character I've loved cool, oversized swords.
I play Duck Hunt cause he’s a laughing dog who’s adorable...and a ****

P.Kat

Smash Champion
This must have been on delayed direct. Ooh I WANT it so bad
*sigh*The only time I wish I didn't had a Switch yet.
Also I want that exact Route 1 song but I'm guessing I'll have to wait for the game to come out. But until then here's a slight stroll down memory lane, with two of my favorite starting route/first town in Pokémon.

So here's a game for everyone, what is your favorite starting route/first town/town song in Pokémon, that you want in Smash.

Bonus add whatever route is your favorite too. Me I can't decide on town/city song or other route maybe hearing your picks will help me decide on one.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Good afternoon, gentlemans and beautiful ladies!

I am sorry for not being online earlier. Power in my zone was out, and the Internet was out too.

Did I miss anything?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Right!? It's not like we've seen a fighting game where multiple characters can have swords and yet they're almost all different coughSoulcaliburcough.

There's still plenty of "sword-styles" we haven't seen in Smash. Katana, rapier, dual wield... absolutely do not mind more "sword users" in Smash if they still bring something new to the fight.
Agreed. Not to mention they can still do unique stuff out of swordwielding (Link, Robin, Corrin)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I am sorry for not being online earlier. Power in my zone was out, and the Internet was out too.

Did I miss anything?
Nothing of substance whatsoever. Just the usual Direct-drought madness

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Did I miss anything?
New Switch bundle was announced for Pokemon Let's Go, which indirectly, supposedly, confirmed a leak of a Smash Bros switch bundle that was leaked liiiike a month ago or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom