• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The Direct date thing is making me a little anxious tbh.

The feeling of uncertainty can get to ya sometimes you know?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
As far as characters with unique weaponry go, what if I told you there was a foundly remembered arguably iconic character who starred in some classic games on the NES and SNES that were critically and commercially successful who utilizes lances, daggers, torches, axes, crossbows, scythes, etc and can even power up these weapons with magic?
View attachment 163086
And I'm not just bringing him up because Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts was the first video game I ever played... Ok maybe that is part of the reason.
One of my most requested characters. He has games on the NES and SNES Classic Editions. Long running, 2D action platformer. Capcom is already in Smash. Plus he's just a funny little dude.

They could make it so his armor explodes off him when he hits 100% and he loses weight but gains speed. :p

D

Deleted member

I had never played echoes and just looked up Leon and in turn Valbar, and now I'm sad :( Nintendo why couldn't you just make them happy?!
Leon is probably the best use for the Unrequited Love trope in all of FE.
Leon admires and loves Valbar but it's never used to create drama like ALL OTHER uses of the trope in FE. Leon is mature enough to know it''ll never happen but he doesn't let that deviate him from still supporting Valbar.
To be honest, Koopalings probably required a lot less model work than Fire Emblem characters in general, not that it's not a cool idea.
Yeah, I know, but it's still probably the only way we'll ever get non-main characters. Doesn't help most FE characters don't even have a 3D model to be based off.
And when not even Warriors can bother to do it then :/

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
How the **** do you expect the dev team to put 802 Pokemon into 1 character?
Simple. Xbox One X. /s

Well, Professor Oak doesn't need to use all of his Pokemon. Like how Red doesn't use Pikachu or Snorlax. He could simply use different evolved states of the Kanto Starters. I was thinking Bulbasaur, Charmeleon, & Blastoise for the Professor.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Honestly I don't think there's any doubts that the Direct is sometime this week. Maybe tomorrow? Maybe Friday? Sometime in between? We'll see.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Noooooooooooooooooo. Hopefully they will announce it around 7am pst which is in an hour and a 1/2
That'd be nice. After all, the initial tweet for the first announcement on Nintendo Japan's twitter is timestamped as 9:59 AM (EST) which is about 7am PST.

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
So question: Who do you think is the most competitively underrated character for Smash, for any game.
Personally I think :pikachumelee:, :yoshimelee:, and :4duckhunt: are super underrated. Melee Yoshi and Pikachu, even though people have acknowledged how good they can be, have barely any players aside from the big boys (Axe and Amsa), and as such severely lack the tournament results they could have, esp because their main players aren't the best in the world like ZeRo was for Diddy Kong.

In the case of Duck Hunt, I think that the Japanese playerbase overall has a generally better understanding of the tier list, and Duck Hunt is very popular in Japan, at least in comparison to America. He's many tiers higher in every Japanese tier list in comparison to the "official" Smash 4 tier list we have. Duck Hunt didn't get into EVO top 8 for no reason.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
So question: Who do you think is the most competitively underrated character for Smash, for any game.
Personally I think :pikachumelee:, :yoshimelee:, and :4duckhunt: are super underrated. Melee Yoshi and Pikachu, even though people have acknowledged how good they can be, have barely any players aside from the big boys (Axe and Amsa), and as such severely lack the tournament results they could have, esp because their main players aren't the best in the world like ZeRo was for Diddy Kong.

In the case of Duck Hunt, I think that the Japanese playerbase overall has a generally better understanding of the tier list, and Duck Hunt is very popular in Japan, at least in comparison to America. He's many tiers higher in every Japanese tier list in comparison to the "official" Smash 4 tier list we have. Duck Hunt didn't get into EVO top 8 for no reason.
Watching Duck Hunt during EVO was probably my favorite bit honestly

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I think you can guess my answer, but he tends to be.... um, "controversial" in terms of the tier list

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Pac-Man, people have been sleeping on him, but after the patches, his grab felt faster so top tier

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think Duck Hunt is a criminally under-explored fighter. I'm not sure why he faded into the shadows so hecking fast, but I can say with confidence there's a deep metagame with Duck Hunt that hasn't been explored.

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
Pac-Man, people have been sleeping on him, but after the patches, his grab felt faster so top tier
One of the best players in my state is a Pac-Man, and he's done some crazy **** like throwing the bell through the bottom of Smashville so it pops out of the top. He's insane and honestly he did convince me that Pac-Man, even if he's not high or top tier, is still slept on a lot.

Edit: Here's a set he played, check him out if you want

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Most underated fighter?

Marth. No one I dread facing more than a perfect match who has milimetre perfect spacing and gets that dreaded tip each attack.

Eh maybe Bayonetta.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
https://twitter.com/Newmarkomaro/status/1039045919260516352 Has it been debunked yet? 'Cause it's way too early for me to guess whether or not it's fake.
Certainly makes sense, but we don't know until it's proven one way or the other later today.
I think a thing to point out is that this guy isn't trying to leak anything, I think he just did some detective work and came to that conclusion.

Probably the logic behind it:
6:00PM EST was the original time for the direct. 10:00AM EST is the timestamp of the original announcement for the direct. Because of the abrupt delay, this is a special scenario so a same-day direct isn't too shocking. I can imagine that the sense of urgency does exist.

Also, their social media (as in, Nintendo Japan's) has been active again, as well as the blog returning to posting (but to be fair, it only skipped one day). The delay tweet on NoA has been unpinned.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Zelda. She's definitely low tier but you can do a lot of cool stuff with her, just like Jigglypuff and Ganondorf having loyal players.

Honorable mentions: WFT, Samus, Robin.

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
duck hunt is such a weird and technical character that he's naturally gonna have a lower playerbase, and subsequently fewer big results and a less developed metagame, which leads to him having a lower tier list placing. tiers can't truly 100% reflect the strength of each character in a vacuum because they're based on tournament results, and the factors which lead to a character succeeding in tournaments are varied and go beyond just that character's relative strength. this isnt an indictment of tier lists, just a natural and probably unavoidable limitation of them. they're a guideline more than anything else

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

Does anyone know if that newmarkomaro guy has any credibility, or if he’s just some random guy?
Just some random dude who calls himself a detective.
This is just a Vandal user making stuff up, don't trust them at all.
His conclusion isn't super farfetched but I'd agree if they were trying to leak anything lol

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Marth is in A tier and Bayonetta is literally sitting at the top of the list. What are you talking about underrated?
Marth is in A.tier true but I still feel he's underated.

I put Bayonetta there not that she's underated but I dread going up against her same with a good marth.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
The Direct date thing is making me a little anxious tbh.

The feeling of uncertainty can get to ya sometimes you know?
I'm starting to feel very anxious. It looks like I'm gonna get royally ****ed by a hurricane again by Thursday/Friday so I'll have to add missing the direct to the ****show.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Once we do get the Nintendo Direct, how much of it do you think will have changed? Do you think any content will have been removed or altered?

I don't think they can just show the same thing as they were going to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom