• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I was hoping, once I saw the Smash Ultimate reveal at e3, that we'd be getting crazy big "leaks" like tower of smash but bolstered by knowing that in Smash 4, there were characters that came completely out of left field.
As much as I support Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac, etc, it is definitely a lot less exciting and fun when most of the "leaks" include a lot of common characters.
I wanna see big crazy leaks predicting dumb fun stuff like:

"Every trophy collection method will return, every mini-game is gonna come back, multi-man smash has the opponents from each iteration of it fighting you at once (polygons, wireframes, alloys, and mii fighters), and that smash run is coming back with 3 maps and options to set the round timer and what the event will be, plus bosses appear on the maps in special places. Also Spirits is gonna be just as big as subspace and have crazy cutscenes."

I remember there was a "leak" or something claiming every character had like 8 unlockable costumes or something and that was interesting and believable enough that it got me thinking and discussing it with my friends. I want more stuff like that, haha.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I was hoping, once I saw the Smash Ultimate reveal at e3, that we'd be getting crazy big "leaks" like tower of smash but bolstered by knowing that in Smash 4, there were characters that came completely out of left field.
As much as I support Skull Kid, Geno, Isaac, etc, it is definitely a lot less exciting and fun when most of the "leaks" include a lot of common characters.
I wanna see big crazy leaks predicting dumb fun stuff like:

"Every trophy collection method will return, every mini-game is gonna come back, multi-man smash has the opponents from each iteration of it fighting you at once (polygons, wireframes, alloys, and mii fighters), and that smash run is coming back with 3 maps and options to set the round timer and what the event will be, plus bosses appear on the maps in special places. Also Spirits is gonna be just as big as subspace and have crazy cutscenes."

I remember there was a "leak" or something claiming every character had like 8 unlockable costumes or something and that was interesting and believable enough that it got me thinking and discussing it with my friends. I want more stuff like that, haha.
It's pretty clear that Sakurai and crew are not letting stuff like the ESRB happen again. They've been keeping a tight seal on everything, and despite the one music slip up with Simon, accurate leaks have been next to none. Vergeben is basically our only "reliable" source of information. And personally, I like it this way.

Shroob

Sup?
I think my problem is just how 'front loaded' the reveals have felt.

I know they want to build up hype, but.... they dropped Ridley and K.Rool, two of the most requested characters frankly ever, as two of the early reveals.

At this point, a character like Geno doesn't feel like it's unlikely to happen. It almost feels like a guarantee... which is great and all but... there's just no 'surprise' to it.

K.Rool's reveal WAS amazing, because it came out of nowhere, I just wish it had been closer to launch is all.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The Chorus Kids were, not Karate Joe. Most expect Chorus Kids since Gematsu and all. I'd be very happy with Karate Joe as it wouldn't be expected.
I never played Rhythm Heaven, but from what I've seen of it, I would prefer Karate Joe over the Chorus Kids, also after visiting the Rhythm Girl Support Thread, I'd also like having Rhythm Girl as a character too, if we can't get Karate Joe, personally they're both tied in terms of a RH newcomer I want, and it's strange she's not talked about more as an another potential Rhythm Heaven newcomer.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I personally think if we get a Rhythm Heaven character, it's going to be the Chorus Kids.
I mean after all, I'd just find it odd that the Gematsu leak would even list them given they're not exactly characters with seniority nor are they really a mascot beyond Rhythm Tengoku Gold/Rhythm Heaven.

So if we get anyone, it's most likely going to be them, especially if they were worked on quite a bit considering the datamine and amount of content for the series in Smash 4. (I mean even the PAL version of the Fever protags trophy reference the Chorus Kids without any true context.)

But hey, Karate Joe would be incredibly dope though. If he gets in, he better have a cinematic with Ryu there somehow.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think my problem is just how 'front loaded' the reveals have felt.

I know they want to build up hype, but.... they dropped Ridley and K.Rool, two of the most requested characters frankly ever, as two of the early reveals.

At this point, a character like Geno doesn't feel like it's unlikely to happen. It almost feels like a guarantee... which is great and all but... there's just no 'surprise' to it.

K.Rool's reveal WAS amazing, because it came out of nowhere, I just wish it had been closer to launch is all.
I'd still be surprised if Geno gets in. I still feel like it's a pipedream for that to happen. Something you can only see in dreams.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the Rhythm Heaven character could work a la Game & Watch, transforming into different characters from the games for the attacks like Karate Joe, the Chorus Kids, Dog Ninja... Cause otherwise I have no idea how Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids would work.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Maybe the Rhythm Heaven character could work a la Game & Watch, transforming into different characters from the games for the attacks like Karate Joe, the Chorus Kids, Dog Ninja... Cause otherwise I have no idea how Karate Joe or the Chorus Kids would work.
Well Sakurai managed to come up with a moveset for Captain Falcon who was only shown to drive in his games so...

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I never played Rhythm Heaven, but from what I've seen of it, I would prefer Karate Joe over the Chorus Kids, also after visiting the Rhythm Girl Support Thread, I'd also like having Rhythm Girl as a character too, if we can't get Karate Joe, personally they're both tied in terms of a RH newcomer I want, and it's strange she's not talked about more as an another potential Rhythm Heaven newcomer.
I think people don't talk about her a lot just because she's not really a core part of the series as much as the actual participants of the rhythm games themselves. I'd totally dig her as it'd be not what I expected and I love being surprised, but I think I see more support for Karate Joe because he's been apart of every game and Chorus Kids because of gematsu. I'd be fine with any rhythm heaven rep honestly, but I'm leaning more towards Karate Joe since he is apart of that legacy and all.

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
The main reason I would love to see the chorus kids is the idea of three fighters that work as one. Think of it like three kids in a large coat pretending to be an adult. It be interesting to see top it off with the rhythm gimmick and it would be a unique character.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
Well Sakurai managed to come up with a moveset for Captain Falcon who was only shown to drive in his games so...
Yeah, using original moves he had thought for an original fighter who had the same body type than him just by chance and had nothing to do with Captain Falcon at all :b: A Rhythm Heaven character would require a lot more work. But yeah, if someone can do it, it's Sakurai.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
The main reason I would love to see the chorus kids is the idea of three fighters that work as one. Think if it like three kids in a large coat pretending to be an adult. It be interesting to see top it off with the rhythm gimmick and it would be a unique character.
Ayye, someone else with a brick in their name that supports the trio!
If I wasn't the account holder, I'd think this was just a fake account made by me.

Anyways, you basically hit it right on the nose on one of the reasons I'd love to see them. Unlike a character like the Ice Climbers, I think it'd be really interesting to see a set of characters that pulls off attacks in unison as opposed to them being able to desync and act on their own.
Not to mention having a rhythm based mechanic that could lead to interesting and unique combos.

Last edited:

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
The main reason I would love to see the chorus kids is the idea of three fighters that work as one. Think of it like three kids in a large coat pretending to be an adult. It be interesting to see top it off with the rhythm gimmick and it would be a unique character.
Secret footage of Chorus Kids leaked just now!

(Sorry, I had to do it)

Shroob

Sup?
I'd still be surprised if Geno gets in. I still feel like it's a pipedream for that to happen. Something you can only see in dreams.
At this point, I just feel like if nothing else, Geno's a lock.

Between getting K.Rool and Ridley, to Sakurai's previous statements on him, to the Mii costume, to Vergeben stating a 2nd SE character is coming, to no 'real' Mario newcomer yet, the stars are aligned heavily in his favor.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah you just know Chorus Kids had some wild gimmick, even among the Smash 4 cast, which so far has been by far the most experimental moveset-wise, and I'd love to see what it was.

Plus I'm always for more Nintendo series on the roster.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In 64, characters were more of a fıghters, rather than strictly drawing from their canon versions. He really moved away from that.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
In 64, characters were more of a fıghters, rather than strictly drawing from their canon versions. He really moved away from that.
Also Captain Falcon is a relic of the original game Dragon King before Smash became a crossover. Captain Falcon was an easy character to put over the existing character from that game.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
i'd still rather get our top 4-6 characters everyones talking about over being "surprised" by a character that is generally wanted less than our "most likely" characters.

being surprised is fun right now... but then the game has to exist and id rather get the likely characters people really want even if the reveal is less exciting than a character that isnt being guessed at.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dillon could just come in as the surprise character for me

His AT hasn't been seen.

And if they wanted a character similar to Sonic, he's a much better choice than Shadow

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
i'd still rather get our top 4-6 characters everyones talking about over being "surprised" by a character that is generally wanted less than our "most likely" characters.

being surprised is fun right now... but then the game has to exist and id rather get the likely characters people really want even if the reveal is less exciting than a character that isnt being guessed at.
Personally I found all suprise characters worthy and fun additions, while most wanted characters right now doesn't appeal to me that much.

Just to give an opinion, some people don't want cheap thrills when wanting suprise fighters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
i'd still rather get out top 4-6 characters everyones talking about over being "surprised" by a character that is generally wanted less than our "most likely" characters.

As someone who's been on this ride since before Brawl, the fact that they're actually basing the inclusions off the screaming diehards is still surprise enough for me. I've had Sakurai's old surprises and frankly not all of them were my cup of tea.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There hasn't been a smash game where I have been excited for more than 2 newcomers since melee.

Brawl had just Dedede and Sonic, and Smash 4 had just Mega Man for me.

I've been happy with Ultimate so far, giving me K Rool and Ridley. Can I expect Geno? The ultimate excitement for me

Last edited:

Enchess

Smash Lord
I come back after a few hours of Spider-Man to a bunch of pages and an incredibly confusing mess of Windows 98 and Karate Joe. Is it safe to assume this stuff is fake? Any reason to believe it? Any real leaks today?
Spider-Man is really fun if anyone is curious.

D

Deleted member

At this point, I just feel like if nothing else, Geno's a lock.

Between getting K.Rool and Ridley, to Sakurai's previous statements on him, to the Mii costume, to Vergeben stating a 2nd SE character is coming, to no 'real' Mario newcomer yet, the stars are aligned heavily in his favor.
...Hey, I see what you did there!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What does Karate Joe do other than generic karate things?

I saw rhythm heaven footage and he just breaks stuff thrown at him or whatever

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is all rhythm heaven choices just characters that do generic or mundane things but to a beat

Shroob

Sup?
My idea for any Rhythm Heaven character in general was that they'd probably pull heavily from their other minigames ala G&W, especially since said character would also probably be flat.

Imagine a counter where the Wrestler comes out and literally flexes on your opponent to do damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom