• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I mean the angle is uncannily similar to how battles in Golden Sun look.

Whether it's meant to be a legit hint or a cute easter egg is another matter entirely. But I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt over the chairs and barrels.
The only reason I give it an afterthought is because they didn’t include Cloud, the most obvious RPG character that would use a similar style. It’s almost like he doesn’t want anyone to just assume it’s about general RPGs.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I mean the angle is uncannily similar to how battles in Golden Sun look.

Whether it's meant to be a legit hint or a cute easter egg is another matter entirely. But I'm willing to give this the benefit of the doubt over the chairs and barrels.
There was also the specific character selection that correlated with golden sun party characters (Marth/Mars Adept, Shulk Jupiter Adept) too, i honestly find teh more interesting hint ...i think that link also had a connection, but can't remember it

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
all of this talk about potential hints of varying believability rattles around my inebriated brain to remind me of

oh no i forgot

something something KOS-MOS should be in (also there was an actual KOS-MOS leak on 4chan the other day after I said I wish she was in them. they defs watch us)

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
all of this talk about potential hints of varying believability rattles around my inebriated brain to remind me of

oh no i forgot

something something KOS-MOS should be in (also there was an actual KOS-MOS leak on 4chan the other day after I said I wish she was in them. they defs watch us)
Here's the test. I want playable Chunky Kong.

There better be a leak with Chunky Kong within 24 hours.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
You say that..but I think Rare had just barely started its downhill turn, Donkey Kong 64 was a disappointment for many, Banjo-Tooie wasn't seen as good as Banjo-Kazooie, barely anyone talks about Jet Force Gemini or even Perfect Dark, and Star Fox Adventures wasn't super well received.

Bear in mind that I love all of those games, I'm simply saying that Nintendo may have realized Rare wasn't as good as it had been between Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie.
Excuse me. Play Tooie and do your research. Thank you.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
uhm.. mayb ei too should do a fake leak with my most wanted newcomer to spice things up... i wonder how people would react if my fake leak included Simon Belmont!, i bet noone would saw THAT coming.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Not gonna buy into any supposed hints until we can get some serious proof in their favor.

It's fine to have an open mind to this sort of thing, but don't leap to conclusions just yet either.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yea Nintendo streaming a tournament right now tells me they're not gonna withhold the direct any longer than a few days. I wouldn't be surprised to get an announcement tomorrow.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
It might be worth noting that the original tweet that announced the direct was posted at 10 am ET, sharp. Maybe when they announce the new date it will be posted around a similar time?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
BTW what happened to teh leak that predicted a direct on thursday and FFXV pocket edition on switch? was he piggibanking another leak? or was the ps4 FFXV pocket edition leaked before so he couldve guesswed it? honestly teh timing was pretty much spot on...have it been disconfirmed? I mean... the pokemon name could really be a new pokemon name XD

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's the test. I want playable Chunky Kong.

There better be a leak with Chunky Kong within 24 hours.
Well before it released, I actually had a dream that Chunky Kong was playable in Smash 4.

In that very same dream, K. Rool and Ridley were playable characters as well.

I wonder if that means anything.....

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Nintendo right now are being completely normal

LetterO

Smash Lord
I think we may as well get the direct as soon as this weekend if they’re actually able to be streaming right now.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Buddy. Buddy. Buddy.

You can't just post 4chan links willy nilly

Nor should you post a 4chan "leak" immediately when it pops up.

Do I need to appoint someone to take up "leak" sessions or something?
Can we treat anything not from an official source as a rumour.
I would rather attribute the word leak with with bloody tears and Yoshi's title.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Buddy. Buddy. Buddy.

You can't just post 4chan links willy nilly

Nor should you post a 4chan "leak" immediately when it pops up.

Do I need to appoint someone to take up "leak" sessions or something? Is anybody willing to do them?
I would love a return of the leak sessions, they were a highlight of this thread for me.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
What happened to those old leak discussion thread, I remember the Smash 3DS/WiiU one. Is there a similar one this time?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It might be worth noting that the original tweet that announced the direct was posted at 10 am ET, sharp. Maybe when they announce the new date it will be posted around a similar time?
Ummmmmmm....what? This is fact? Not being rude, actually curious.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, posting leaks are fine. Just please summarize it a bit, though.

Anyway, the pose DK is in during his direct is a pretty common lazy character thing. It's very unlikely to be a hint.

The Rathalos image is a fairly common rpg angle, but also very common in Camelot rpg's too. It could be a legit hint, though it just as likely could be a fun joke towards fantasy games like Monster Hunter.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Before the group came along, we used to have a thread for Smash 4 that was dedicated entirely to leaks and rumors. So in speculation and social threads we'd only ever be talking about very special leaks or rumors; the leak that ultimately revealed the entire base roster comes to mind.

IIRC though, that thread eventually got locked because it unfortunately just got out of hand later on. I think the group that succeeded it eventually ended up meeting a similar fate, as well. Correct me if I'm wrong in either case.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Before the group came along, we used to have a thread for Smash 4 that was dedicated entirely to leaks and rumors. So in speculation and social threads we'd only ever be talking about very special leaks or rumors; the leak that ultimately revealed the entire base roster comes to mind.

IIRC though, that thread eventually got locked because it unfortunately just got out of hand later on. I think the group that succeeded it eventually ended up meeting a similar fate, as well. Correct me if I'm wrong in either case.
Was a member of that thread. Those were the days.

We all were mad at each other.
All the time.

It got a bit personal (especially with my dumb self, I was a bratty little kid)

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Here, I'll write a little thing. A little thing about absence:
Most of what we're basing current newcomer speculation on is absense. Shadow is absent, therefore, he may be likely. Isabelle is absent, therefore, she seems likely. Skull Kid is absent, therefore he seems likely. This can be said about many, many characters.
However, present absense isn't always indicative of future inclusion, and that's a very worrying thing. Especially when it's the only thing you're able to base hope on. The complete lack of something can simply remain like that. Isaac was absent from Smash 4, and people thought this was telling of his inclusion, but he remained absent. The same can be said for Waddle Dee, or many, many fighters.

I doubt we'll see all the characters that are being speculated on. Absence isn't concrete. Even things that seem incredibly glaring. Sakurai may have wanted Knuckles over Shadow for the simple reason that Knuckles has more of a presence in Sonic. They may have decided the moon itself was better representation than Skull Kid. Isaac may not be viewed as relevant anymore.

Speculation can be difficult, especially when based on something so unsubstantial as a lacking, or an expectation, or a demand. And there's so many characters that seem likely, and the truth is not all of them may make it. Ashley was missing, and then she wasn't, and the same could happen to any of the characters we're speculating about.

But then again, there is a bit of hope to hold on to. Dark Samus and Chrom both because top contenders because things were missing, and they became characters. So I think it may be something to look into, but not too far.
With that out of the way, I'll talk about who I think may be likely, trying to base it on sheer "evidence" alone.

Unique Fighters:
Skull Kid

Is this one obvious? I won't really be adressing the villains theme right now, because it's likely a nonissue, but I can't deny that replacing Skull Kid with the Moon is a little suspicious. However, he seems a little uncertain right now, and I'm not sure where he'll end up at this point. I could see him as playable, or maybe a boss, or just a cameo or other form of representation that would require him not to be an AT. I'd like to see him playable, and I think he'd be a good fit, which is why I'm including him here.

Bandana Dee
Bandana Waddle Dee is a character that missed out on Smash 4. He was popular, sure, but not popular enough to even get a trophy. But his popularity has only increased, and so has his chances for this Smash. During the 8.8 Direct, we see a lot of Assist Trophies. The two that I'm going to talk about being Klaptrap and Kawasaki. Now, these both seem like they correspond with popular series that have had long-requested fighter additions. But my point being, K. Rool got in. I feel like these were almost insurance, things stopping K. Rool, and Bandana Waddle Dee, from being Assist Trophies. They aren't necessarily replacements, but almost pre-replacements. ATs that go along with the fighters.
And there's also the point of Dedede's final smash, being the Masked Dedede cage fight. Now, the only one in the audience for this fight in its souce material, Kirby Super Star Ultra, was Bandana Waddle Dee. And he's unmistakably not there in Smash. This wouldn't be too big of an issue (I get it, it's a dark stage fight, there wasn't timing for Dee to be included) BUT, This game in particular, Sakurai has been diligent about the inclusion in cameos in Final Smashes. Ness, Lucas, Mega Man, Shulk, Fox, Falco, presumedly Wolf, and even the Ice Climbers got cameos in their Final Smashes. So Dee's absense is rather glaring.

Isaac
So that little twitter image was cute, no? The one with the heroes fighting Rathalos. Apparently, that's a Golden Sun reference, which I don't understand why. I've never played golden sun, so i'll have to take everyone's word for it. But yeah, that's a big hint to me right there. Also, Isaac had a MASSIVE following on fanpolls for the ballot. He was everywhere, so it's undeniable that he's seen as someone who is heavily requested. These aren't necessarily new reasons, and I'm sure there's more, but I could see Isaac being in, definitely.

Echo Fighters:
Isabelle
This one is a bit obvious, no? Even without Vergeben's intervention, I would've guessed Isabelle anyways. Replacing Animal Crossing's new golden girl with Kapp'n seems a little suspicious to me, and I don't see why they wouldn't have shown her off by now. My only thing at this point is whether she'll be an Echo or not. I could really see it going either way, and Animal Crossing could certainly use two unique fighters, but everyone seems to be saying echo, so that's where I put her for now.

Shadow
Time for edge! Shadow is one I'm less confident about, but everyone seems to view him as a lock. Sure, he could be a decent echo, but I feel like he might be one who was just replaced. Knuckles is a better choice for an assist trophy, considering he's a bit more relevant to the Sonic series than Shadow is, but I'd like to see Shadow nevertheless, if not for the absurd edginess he exudes.

Notable Exemptions:
A Pokemon

The only reason people think we're getting a Pokemon is because we've always gotten one, but I don't know if this'll be the case. I don't think I can quantify past preformance as indicative of future results in this case. We might get one, but I don't know which or when.

Geno
Geno. This character is an enigma to me. I know barely anything about him. I don't know why he's not in any Mario games besides the RPG, I don't know why he's not Mario property (or if he'll be counted as a Mario character in Smash), and I don't know if Square Enix cares about him. At all. In fact, I feel like the only time anyone's talked about this character in the last decade is due to Sakurai. So will Geno be in the game? Nothing is leading me to believe so. Will Geno not be in the game? I have no idea. I don't even know what he'd do. I don't hate his design, certainly.

There are a few other ones I failed to mention that are names commonly thrown around. Some leaker's character of the week. Some third parties here and there. Third parties I find incredibly hard to predict because there's no baseline for how their series would be represented in Smash, because it isn't. I can't say a lot about it. I didn't talk about Dixie Kong because I really feel like she could go either way. Impa is like that too, despite me really wanting her. I probably don't have a lot of opinion on a character I didn't talk about. Unless it's Rex and Pyra. Don't even get me started.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
When it comes to rumors, leaks, and speculation, a healthy does of skepticism will prepare you for disappointment. But if it ends up being true, you'll be even more happy than before.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Here, I'll write a little thing. A little thing about absence:
Most of what we're basing current newcomer speculation on is absense. Shadow is absent, therefore, he may be likely. Isabelle is absent, therefore, she seems likely. Skull Kid is absent, therefore he seems likely. This can be said about many, many characters.
However, present absense isn't always indicative of future inclusion, and that's a very worrying thing. Especially when it's the only thing you're able to base hope on. The complete lack of something can simply remain like that. Isaac was absent from Smash 4, and people thought this was telling of his inclusion, but he remained absent. The same can be said for Waddle Dee, or many, many fighters.

I doubt we'll see all the characters that are being speculated on. Absence isn't concrete. Even things that seem incredibly glaring. Sakurai may have wanted Knuckles over Shadow for the simple reason that Knuckles has more of a presence in Sonic. They may have decided the moon itself was better representation than Skull Kid. Isaac may not be viewed as relevant anymore.

Speculation can be difficult, especially when based on something so unsubstantial as a lacking, or an expectation, or a demand. And there's so many characters that seem likely, and the truth is not all of them may make it. Ashley was missing, and then she wasn't, and the same could happen to any of the characters we're speculating about.

But then again, there is a bit of hope to hold on to. Dark Samus and Chrom both because top contenders because things were missing, and they became characters. So I think it may be something to look into, but not too far.
With that out of the way, I'll talk about who I think may be likely, trying to base it on sheer "evidence" alone.

Unique Fighters:
Skull Kid

Is this one obvious? I won't really be adressing the villains theme right now, because it's likely a nonissue, but I can't deny that replacing Skull Kid with the Moon is a little suspicious. However, he seems a little uncertain right now, and I'm not sure where he'll end up at this point. I could see him as playable, or maybe a boss, or just a cameo or other form of representation that would require him not to be an AT. I'd like to see him playable, and I think he'd be a good fit, which is why I'm including him here.

Bandana Dee
Bandana Waddle Dee is a character that missed out on Smash 4. He was popular, sure, but not popular enough to even get a trophy. But his popularity has only increased, and so has his chances for this Smash. During the 8.8 Direct, we see a lot of Assist Trophies. The two that I'm going to talk about being Klaptrap and Kawasaki. Now, these both seem like they correspond with popular series that have had long-requested fighter additions. But my point being, K. Rool got in. I feel like these were almost insurance, things stopping K. Rool, and Bandana Waddle Dee, from being Assist Trophies. They aren't necessarily replacements, but almost pre-replacements. ATs that go along with the fighters.
And there's also the point of Dedede's final smash, being the Masked Dedede cage fight. Now, the only one in the audience for this fight in its souce material, Kirby Super Star Ultra, was Bandana Waddle Dee. And he's unmistakably not there in Smash. This wouldn't be too big of an issue (I get it, it's a dark stage fight, there wasn't timing for Dee to be included) BUT, This game in particular, Sakurai has been diligent about the inclusion in cameos in Final Smashes. Ness, Lucas, Mega Man, Shulk, Fox, Falco, presumedly Wolf, and even the Ice Climbers got cameos in their Final Smashes. So Dee's absense is rather glaring.

Isaac
So that little twitter image was cute, no? The one with the heroes fighting Rathalos. Apparently, that's a Golden Sun reference, which I don't understand why. I've never played golden sun, so i'll have to take everyone's word for it. But yeah, that's a big hint to me right there. Also, Isaac had a MASSIVE following on fanpolls for the ballot. He was everywhere, so it's undeniable that he's seen as someone who is heavily requested. These aren't necessarily new reasons, and I'm sure there's more, but I could see Isaac being in, definitely.

Echo Fighters:
Isabelle
This one is a bit obvious, no? Even without Vergeben's intervention, I would've guessed Isabelle anyways. Replacing Animal Crossing's new golden girl with Kapp'n seems a little suspicious to me, and I don't see why they wouldn't have shown her off by now. My only thing at this point is whether she'll be an Echo or not. I could really see it going either way, and Animal Crossing could certainly use two unique fighters, but everyone seems to be saying echo, so that's where I put her for now.

Shadow
Time for edge! Shadow is one I'm less confident about, but everyone seems to view him as a lock. Sure, he could be a decent echo, but I feel like he might be one who was just replaced. Knuckles is a better choice for an assist trophy, considering he's a bit more relevant to the Sonic series than Shadow is, but I'd like to see Shadow nevertheless, if not for the absurd edginess he exudes.

Notable Exemptions:
A Pokemon

The only reason people think we're getting a Pokemon is because we've always gotten one, but I don't know if this'll be the case. I don't think I can quantify past preformance as indicative of future results in this case. We might get one, but I don't know which or when.

Geno
Geno. This character is an enigma to me. I know barely anything about him. I don't know why he's not in any Mario games besides the RPG, I don't know why he's not Mario property (or if he'll be counted as a Mario character in Smash), and I don't know if Square Enix cares about him. At all. In fact, I feel like the only time anyone's talked about this character in the last decade is due to Sakurai. So will Geno be in the game? Nothing is leading me to believe so. Will Geno not be in the game? I have no idea. I don't even know what he'd do. I don't hate his design, certainly.

There are a few other ones I failed to mention that are names commonly thrown around. Some leaker's character of the week. Some third parties here and there. Third parties I find incredibly hard to predict because there's no baseline for how their series would be represented in Smash, because it isn't. I can't say a lot about it. I didn't talk about Dixie Kong because I really feel like she could go either way. Impa is like that too, despite me really wanting her. I probably don't have a lot of opinion on a character I didn't talk about. Unless it's Rex and Pyra. Don't even get me started.
Hey Wally how do you feel about Paper Mario, life is pain

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Can we treat anything not from an official source as a rumour.
I would rather attribute the word leak with with bloody tears and Yoshi's title.
I have a really old post I could quote about it, but the gist is I entertain the notion that every "leak" could be true until proven otherwise. I originally straight up called them leaks, but later added airquotes as a compromise to show that, yes, they're all likely fake.
I would love a return of the leak sessions, they were a highlight of this thread for me.
If someone's got enough time to hunt, stockpile, and post 4chan leaks be my guest. I just don't have that time anymore.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Was a member of that thread. Those were the days.

We all were mad at each other.
All the time.

It got a bit personal (especially with my dumb self, I was a bratty little kid)
I believe that was one of the reasons I started to stay out of it after a while. Arguments happened many times in every major thread, but the ones there just seemed to get really heated, and more frequently than in the rest, at that; aside from that, I just stopped caring about most rumors after a while. Didn't think there was much I could add to that area of speculation anymore. I'm reaching a similar point again with this game's many false rumors, to be perfectly honest.

Although I don't regret being around to partake in and witness the fake Palutena leak unfold. It was a complete mess but it also freaking glorious.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Ummmmmmm....what? This is fact? Not being rude, actually curious.
Go back and look at the timestamp for the tweet.

The notice on the direct link says (bolded for emphasis):
"We have decided to delay this week’s planned Nintendo Direct. We will provide a new time and date in the near future. Thank you for your understanding."

Doesn't sound like we're getting a direct this week based off the way they worded it, but I could be looking into things too much...

WallyPalmer

Smash Journeyman
Hey Wally how do you feel about Paper Mario, life is pain
Is that the title of the new game or something? It's a bit bold but i feel like it's warranted after sticker star

I personally don't see it, but then again I've never played a paper mario game. I know he's requested, but I really don't even know to what degree. I know he has fans, though, so that'd be good for them.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
The song we deserve in this game.

best RH song fight me
I swear to god even if we don't get a RH rep, we at least need some of that sweet soundtrack added to the game. And by that I also mean some NEW ARRANGEMENTS. That alone would be the selling point for me.

I NEED SAMURAI SLICE MEDLEY AND KARATE MAN MEDLEY PLEASE SAKURAI

Koopaul

Smash Champion
If I'm going to speculate on who is going to be a fighter I would base it on who got in already, and what was the purpose. Sakurai seems to have a clear goal of pleasing the fans for this one. This is completely unlike Smash for 3DS/WiiU where he was prioritizing unique or surprising fighters that the audience would not expect.

Based on this new strategy I can only speculate that the likes of Geno might make it in. I honestly can't predict any other unique fighter that is on par with K. Rool, Ridley, or Simon in terms of popular requests.

Meanwhile echo fighters are another story. They seem to be semi-popular picks that also have a similar body and abilities to another fighter. Things like Shadow do come to mind. He'd be easy, and he has a pretty large fanbase.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Go back and look at the timestamp for the tweet.

The notice on the direct link says (bolded for emphasis):
"We have decided to delay this week’s planned Nintendo Direct. We will provide a new time and date in the near future. Thank you for your understanding."

Doesn't sound like we're getting a direct this week based off the way they worded it, but I could be looking into things too much...
I’m the one looking into things too much. I was asking because of some leaks I’m aware of, but I actually misread what you said, so it ends up it doesn’t matter. Lol. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom