• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shepand Pagwins

Smash Rookie
The way I see it, no ones a "lock" until their confirmed, so while I will most likely end up with shadow to temporarily drive back my unquenchable thirst for Tails, I won't be certian till he's announced

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, I did a bit of calculation, in regards to fighters getting daily updates. Out of the 72 fighters overall (67 unique ones + 5 Echoes), 40 have gotten that treatment so far (this includes Pokemon trainer's pokemon and the Mii Fighters), leaving approximately 32 left. So close, yet so far. Lucina is the only Echo that hasn't been covered yet, interestingly.

I trust Veggieben more
I don't trust Lolz or Virgin, I'd much rather wait and see the Directs, the real sources.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I really struggle to understand how Medusa would be an Echo of Palutena. Can someone explain that to me?

blazefan519

Smash Ace
So here's a little game.

Disregard how likely you think the characters are.

Tell us how interested or satisfied you'd be with the character if included.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
So I just woke up and this seems fun.
Incineroar: Definitely my most wanted Gen 7 poke, would be very happy with his inclusion
Ken: Not that familiar with Street Fighter since I only played like one game but I like 3rd party inclusions so :thumbsup:
Isabelle: Animal Crossing is cool and since New Leaf was the first game (and only) game I've played in the series, I'd be happy to see her
Geno: I have no connection to this character but it would be nice to see Geno fans happy
Isaac: Same as Geno
Monster Hunter: I don't know anything about this series kek
Lloyd Irving: I've been told I should play the Tales of series and have no idea what it's even about, perhaps his inclusion could give me a good idea of that
Dixie Kong: Definitely the DK rep I wanted. I'm happy for the K. Rool fans of course, but I really hope Dixie gets in too.
Impa: Probably the Zelda rep I want the most. Skyward Sword was my first Zelda and I really liked her there.
Skull Kid: I've never played Majora's Mask so the only thing about the character I know is in OoT, he seems cool enough though
Black Shadow: I don't know enough about F-Zero to say anything about him
Bandana Waddle Dee: My most wanted newcomer right after Captain Toad (which my hopes of him were brutally crushed), please Daddy Sakurai
Ninten: Yessss, I need more Earthbound characters. I don't care who honestly but I'd say he'd be the most likely because Echo Fighters and whatnot
Diskun: wut
Raiden: I've never played a Metal Gear game so idk, but like I said I like 3rd party characters
Big Boss: Same as Raiden
Shadow: I'd like him in, but if we could get any other Sonic character, I would prefer them.
Elma: I've never played Xenoblade but I think her design is neat, so yeah she'd be nice
Rex and Pyra: Same as Elma but two people instead of one
Jeanne: I'd love it. I love the Bayonetta games so having more characters from it would be amazing.
Spring Man: As a fellow Spring Main as the ARMS community calls us, yes, I would very much like to main him in both games.
Wonder Red: Man, I remember how much people were hyping up his game and his inclusion in 4 but then as soon as the game released, it just died. It's a shame really because I do like his game and a moveset for him would be very interesting.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So here's a little game.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
Inceneroar: Meh. He could maybe make for a grappler type character, which would be neat, but I don't particularly care for him. Or many Pokemon in general, honestly.
Ken- Heck yeah, the Echo I want more than any other. He's like... Literally the OG Echo.
Isabelle- DIRTY. PUPPY. PUNCHERS. But naw she'd be nice to have.
Geno- Will literally cry tears of joy.
Isaac- Sweet. Would give me a reason to finish Golden Sun since I kinda stopped for no reason. Would be happy for his supporters.
Monster Hunter- Would prefer Phoenix as the next Capcom rep, but would be neat.
Lloyd- Would be happy for his supporters. Need to get around to the game already.
Dixie- Eh. Would be neat but no attachment.
Impa- I really would prefer a plethora of other Zelda characters before Impa, but I wouldn't complain.
Skull Kid- One of the aforementioned characters I'd take over Impa :V MM is my favorite Zelda so he'd be swell.
Black Shadow- Sure, why not, give F Zero some more love already.
Bandana Waddle Dee- Yes pleaaaaaaaase. The only true next Kirby rep and I won't be told otherwise.
Ninten- I might adore Mother 2 and 3 but Beginnings has aged like milk. Would be nice to complete the trilogy at least.
Diskun- I mean... Sure I guess?
Raiden- Did you say "Nerd"? Naw I love Raiden, he's a dork.
Big Boss- God I need to play 3 already.
Shadow- Well, now I know who my training mode dummy will be! ...Might detest the character but hey, he'd make people happy and I do love me some Sonic.
Elma- As much as I love X, I'm really just not that passionate about Elma, I didn't really use her for a lot of the game. She kinda bored me. But of course I'd still love for her to be here.
Rex & Pyra- Yessssss. These two are great and I'd love to have them.
Jeanne- I'd love to have her, reservations for Bayo's... Effectiveness in battle aside.
Spring Man- Meh.
Wonder Red- Closest I'll get to Joe, so neat.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Id be a very happy man if Blaze got in smash
I see that you're a man of culture. If it meant Blaze would be playable I would toss Shadow quite literally into an echo chamber, and make him an echo.
tbh id be very happy if i could just play as Blaze in a good mainline 3D sonic games but thats not gonna happen for a long time
I would like that very much, but sadly SEGA doesn't even know what they want to do with 3D Sonic, let alone the other characters. I will say that was a missed opportunity to bring Blaze in, from the other dimension to fight in Sonic Forces. We get Silver the (forgotten) Hedgehog.to cameo, but not Blaze? Why? Well at least she made it on the mobile game and as been in every spinoff so she has a decent chance, just not a better chance than Shadow unfortunately.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So here's a little game.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
Incineroar: It's time to throw down!
Ken: Fine, I guess, but I'd prefer Chun-Li.
Isabelle: Neat, don't need anybody else from AC at this point except maybe Resetti.
Geno: Nice! This almost makes up for the lack of Toad and Pauline.
Isaac: Fairly neat, one of the most wanted finally got justice, may want to try out since I'm interested in the series.
Monster Hunter: Seems neat I suppose, though I'm not really into Monster Hunter.
Lloyd Irving: It's fine for the people that wanted him, but I haven't gotten into Tales.
Dixie Kong: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZr30ljmfzQ
Impa: FINALLY, someone that isn't in the Triforce!
Skull Kid: See above.
Black Shadow: At last, F-Zero is starting to get justice...
Bandana Waddle Dee: Thank goodness Sakurai listened to those people and willing to branch out a bit. I'll have fun with this one.
Ninten: Not that interested at all, though all the Mother leads are in, I guess.
Diskun: FINALLY, I CAN GET HIS TROPHY, er I mean I'd be happy to see him.
Raiden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZt11eC2L3E
Big Boss: Not interested, Snake already has his beard and moves.
Shadow: Fine, I suppose, but I still would rather want other Sonic characters instead.
Elma: Good for the XCX folks, I might try her out.
Rex and Pyra: See above, but for XC2 folks.
Jeanne: Meh, not that interested in her.
Spring Man: Cool, might be fun to use.
Wonder Red: Joe, this one's for you.

I really struggle to understand how Medusa would be an Echo of Palutena. Can someone explain that to me?
Because they're both godesses and counterparts apparently.

Though I agree with you on this. Nobody blinks an eye at the possibility of Medus being an Echo, yet the second you bring up someone like Shadow, it's World War III.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Smash isn't Fortnite or Overwatch
Aww, but I wanted cool and funky dances:(
Capcom basically just adds Ken as a echo for that would make three
Honestly if the only Capcom Newcomer we get is an echo that would be disappointing. Don't get me wrong, getting Ken or even Sakura as an echo would be sweet. But if Capcom is only getting three rep (at least for the base roster), I'd rather get a unique character...

even if it wasn't Amaterasu.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Aww, but I wanted cool and funky dances:(

Honestly if the only Capcom Newcomer we get is an echo that would be disappointing. Don't get me wrong, getting Ken or even Sakura as an echo would be sweet. But if Capcom is only getting three rep (at least for the base roster), I'd rather get a unique character...

even if it wasn't Amaterasu.
They got Megaman and Ryu, two reps from two different ips.. Which is why I think it will be just a Street Fighter echo.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Incineroar-OK. Not big into Pokemon, but he looks cool.
Ken-Awesome! (M. Bison YES)
Isabelle-OK. I'll prefer if she was an echo of Villager instead of a complete new fighter.
Geno- Awesome! I gotta get to beating Mario RPG one of these days.
Isaac- Cool. Never played Golden Sun but he's been requested forever, and as a K. Rool fan I know that waiting years for your character sucks.
Monster Hunter- I'm not into MH, so I don't really want him. Rathalos seems to be good enough representation. Also, if were gonna represent another Capcom game, please be DMC or RE instead.
Lloyd Irving-Never played a Tales game. Would prefer Heihachi or another Namco arcade character.
Dixie Kong-Cool! What took them so long to put her in?
Impa-Cool! Nice to finally see another Zelda character.
Skull Kid- Very cool! Nice to finally see another Zelda character.
Black Shadow- H Y P E
Bandana Waddle Dee- Cool. I'm not dying to see him in, but I like the Kirby games enough to accept him.
Ninten-OK. Round out the Earth Bound charcters and complete the trilogy.
Diskun-Literally who?
Raiden- Cool! But I'd prefer Big Boss.
Big Boss- (Heavens Divide intensifies)
Shadow- (All Hail Shadow intensifies)
Elma-OK. Not a big fan of XBC but I prefer her over Rex & Pyra.
Rex and Pyra- Meh. I prefer Elma.
Jeanne- N o t h a n k y o u
Spring Man- Very cool! I really enjoyed Arms and I''d like to see him playable.
Wonder Red -Meh. Wasn't big on W101.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I guess she would use the custom attacks the Palutena doesn't use anymore, and in place of a wing attack she'd use snakes instead.
They got Megaman and Ryu, two reps from two different ips.. Which is why I think it will be just a Street Fighter echo.
It's likely that Capcom would just place an Street Fighter echo, I'm just saying personally that'd be disappointing for me, and with such limited space on the roster I'd rather get a Capcom Newcomer from a new IP, and make the Street Fighter echo early DLC to go along with Rex and Pyra who I predict will be early DLC.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
It's the Nintendo UK site, figured it out. Anyone talk about how they give a solid number of 71 characters total? Possible roster number leak?
If we're not counting echos as they don't get their own number, that'd be 5 more uniques.
Could also be a mistake but the language they use is pretty final considering all the characters haven't been revealed and they'd have to change that later on. 71 just seems like an arbitrary number to use if they didn't get it from somewhere

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
It's the Nintendo UK site, figured it out. Anyone talk about how they give a solid number of 71 characters total? Possible roster number leak?
If we're not counting echos as they don't get their own number, that'd be 5 more uniques.
Could also be a mistake but the language they use is pretty final considering all the characters haven't been revealed and they'd have to change that later on. 71 just seems like an arbitrary number to use if they didn't get it from somewhere
67 + the 4 echoes = 71, so it could just be that. But I agree, the language seems very final, so maybe there are 4 uniques on the horizon?

EDIT: Wait! I'm dumb! I forgot about Lucina and Dark Pit! There are 6 echoes. Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're in for 4 more unique characters.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Actually it would be 4 more. If true than Nintendo just did perhaps the biggest leak so far amusingly enough

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

67 + the 4 echoes = 71, so it could just be that. But I agree, the language seems very final, so maybe there are 4 uniques on the horizon?
There’s more than 4 echoes. Did you forget to include Lucina and Dark Pit?

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
smh...71 is not a final number. Sakurai likes to do a smokescreen. He gets peoples to think there are few characters, only 71, and is final, then BAM, you got several more characters!

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
There’s more than 4 echoes. Did you forget to include Lucina and Dark Pit?
Sure did :rolleyes: updated my post

smh...71 is not a final number. Sakurai likes to do a smokescreen. He gets peoples to think there are few characters, only 71, and is final, then BAM, you got several more characters!
This kind of mindset is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So here's a little game.

Incineroar
Ken
Isabelle
Geno
Isaac
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Dixie Kong
Impa
Skull Kid
Black Shadow
Bandana Waddle Dee
Ninten
Diskun
Raiden
Big Boss
Shadow
Elma
Rex and Pyra
Jeanne
Spring Man
Wonder Red
Incineroar: I haven't played much of Pokemon beyond gen. 3 (I've played a bit of Gen. 6, but that's about it), so I'd have no strong feelings one way or the other

Ken: I'd be fine with it; he makes sense as an echo fighter, and while he's not my favourite Street Fighter character, it would still be fun to have that alternative to Ryu

Isabelle: I've had a tough time sticking with Animal Crossing (mainly play the Gamecube one for the NES games), but I feel like she could be entertaining

Geno: he was my favourite party member in Super Mario RPG, and that was one of my first games, so I'd definitely be excited.

Isaac: I haven't played much of Golden Sun, but I'd definitely be interested in seeing what they'd do with him

Monster Hunter: meh. I didn't enjoy what I've played of Monster Hunter (Tri, for the Wii), and there are probably about half a dozen Capcom characters that I'd prefer instead.

Lloyd Irving: he could be fun to play as. It might prompt me to finish Tales of Symphonia.

Dixie Kong: while I preferred K. Rool, getting both of them in would be great.

Impa: I would like to see her included, especially if it's the Hyrule Warriors version

Skull Kid: outside of Midna and Ghirahim (who are already assist trophies), I feel like Skull Kid likely has the most material to work with for a new Zelda character; I'd definitely be excited to see him included

Black Shadow: as far as F-Zero antagonists go, I'd prefer Deathborn; his design's better in my opinion.

Bandanna Waddle Dee: I'd definitely be happy to see Kirby get a new character.

Ninten: I'm not sure what he brings to the table that Ness doesn't already have. I'd be okay with a third Mother/Earthbound character, but I'd rather see a villain like Porky, Masked Man, or the Mother 1 version of Giygas.

Diskun: no idea what he can do.

Raiden: depends (I'm assuming you mean the Metal Gear one). If it's the MGS2 version as a Snake echo, that wouldn't be very exciting. If it's the MGS4/Rising version as a unique character, I'd be super-excited.

Big Boss: I'd definitely be fine with him as an echo. And if it means that we get a trailer with the Snake Eater theme? Yes, please.

Shadow: assuming you mean the hedgehog, as opposed to the Final Fantasy 6 ninja. I'd be okay with him, but I'd prefer Eggman or Tails as a second Sonic character.

Elma: I'd definitely be excited - I've really enjoyed what I've played of Xenoblade Chronicles X, and I'd hate for it to be forgotten due to appearing on a less popular console

Rex and Pyra: based on chapter 1 of Xenoblade 2 alone, I could totally see them fitting in Smash, and I'd like to see what they could do with the Blade/Driver dynamic.

Jeanne: I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it happen, in spite of the undoubtedly negative reaction from the competitive community. Jeanne would make perfect sense as an echo/clone, since that's how she plays in her source material, and Bayonetta 2 was one of the main reasons why I bought a Wii U.

Spring Man: I haven't played Arms. I might be a little interested, but Spring Man seems like the least interesting character in the entire cast.

Wonder Red: it's the closest we'll get to Viewtiful Joe in Smash Bros., and if it means that the Wonderful 101 gets more attention, then I'm all for it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
it was 6 days ago but i assume this is what you guys are talking about:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/76941132?page=7

"When it comes to the Gen 7 Pokemon rep that isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu (who has since been confirmed as a Pokeball Pokemon) I have heard it is Incineroar specifically.
Not all of my Smash sources have heard who it is exactly, but I will say that I'm a bit more inclined to believe it's Incineroar than Tapu Koko because of hearing that it's Incineroar and how it does line up with how Sakurai chooses new Pokemon. "
"Many of my sources can disconfirm Decidueye and Lycanroc, but only one knows who the newcomer is. Incineroar is the most likely because a single source told me he's in and he makes sense. Also Tapu Koko could get in if it's not Incineroar."

...What kind of rationale is that? His sources can disconfirm Pokemon without knowing who the newcomer is? He thinks Incineroar is the most likely, but he's also randomly considering Tapu Koko as well? Did any of his sources even bring up Tapu Koko?

I don't doubt that Verge had some inside info, but I can't help but question some of his newer claims. Instead of doubling down on Incineroar, it feels like he's not as confident and he's trying to cushion himself in case he's wrong. "I'm a bit more inclined to believe it's Incineroar," and, "it does line up with how Sakurai chooses new Pokemon." Not trying to pounce on Verge for not giving me the detailed explanation I want, but I really wish he would voice his doubts instead of hiding behind a wall.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Well four more uniques isn’t that bad, considering people were originally saying this was an updated port with one or two newcomers max

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
When Awkward Zombie predicted Smash Ultimate. Lol.View attachment 161574
But Roy was kicked out many times and Wolf went on a break
Light vs Dark
Goddess vs Goddess
Retro(ish) villain
Female character
Good and Old Sakurai waifu vs Evil Sakurai waifu
Palutena vs Medusa
I guess she would use the custom attacks the Palutena doesn't use anymore
That seems more like a semi-clone than an echo...something Viridi could pull off as easy as resetting the world...by bombing it

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I wouldn't think that way, remember Smash 4 when the roster got leaked? Where's Mewtwo? Where's Lucas? Where's Wolf? Where's the DK newcomer?

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Before we speculate too far into this please everyone see this, 71 is the number of fighters on the About page of the site. It counts echoes but not PT seperately (Maybe also not Mii fighters seperately I forget).

It's a number pulled from the site that's all. This happened before when that number was smaller before the August direct. It is in no way a leak of the final roster number.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

EDIT: Wait! I'm dumb! I forgot about Lucina and Dark Pit! There are 6 echoes. Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're in for 4 more unique characters.
If you count Pokemon Trainer as three fighters, same as Mii Fighters, doesn't that make 71, excluding echoes? EDIT: In my predictions, I'm thinking 4 more unique newcomers anyways, based on the blog.

EDIT: Wait, I'm dumb. Pokemon Trainer and Mii Fighters are already part of the count. But, see below.

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
The problem with this line of thinking is Sakurai presumably has no power over the Nintendo UK website.
If he were to do some grand ploy, it wouldn't be there.
So the most likely cases are either it's an accidental leak or it's just a mistake on the wording.
I'm leaning towards the latter.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
This is not Sakurai. This is Nintendo UK doing a small description of the game to sell preorders on the site. And they say, in total, there's 71 (not over 70, or at least 71, in total). It's just weird

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

In addition to introducing new characters, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate features every previously playable character in the series. Counting Pokémon Trainer and his/her Pokémon as a single fighter and the three Mii Fighter types separately, a total of 71 fighters, including six Echo Fighters
That’s the total number so far there’s nothing to tell

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Before we speculate too far into this please everyone see this, 71 is the number of fighters on the About page of the site. It counts echoes but not PT seperately (Maybe also not Mii fighters seperately I forget).

It's a number pulled from the site that's all. This happened before when that number was smaller before the August direct. It is in no way a leak of the final roster number.
Damn, you're right. I really have to wonder why they're counting them that way on the main page, it seems really strange to include echoes but then count the trainer as 1 - when elsewhere on the page they do the exact opposite...

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman

Yeah i am guessing 4 Unique Characters and 4 echoes. It would line up if we get a newcomer and an echo in september,october and 2 newcomers and 2 echos in November

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I'm betting on 5 more. 72 sounds like a nice number.
68. Incineroar
69. Isaac
70. Skull Kid
71. Geno
72. Banjo and Kazooie

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That seems more like a semi-clone than an echo...something Viridi could pull off as easy as resetting the world...by bombing it
As long as Phosphora can join the roster Viridi can go Thanos on the world for all I care.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I believe we had 66 characters on the site following E3 (The site counts all Echoes and considers PT to be one character). The Direct gave us five more newcomers. 66+5=71

This is not the final number.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I believe we had 66 characters on the site following E3 (The site counts all Echoes and considers PT to be one character). The Direct gave us five more newcomers. 66+5=71

This is not the final number.
Honestly with that way of counting I could easily see a final number of 80 (4 more unique 5 more echo? Vice versa?). Defintely more than 75 and the selling point can be over 75 characters!

Although honestly because they have multiple ways to count characters they can choose anyway to advertise it....it does seem like the way on the About page is the way they advertise the character count the most which makes sense.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Didn't the website say they count Pokemon Trainer as one character under the about page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom