• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
kinda late but doing the 10 echoes thing

:ultmegaman: Bass
:ultcloud: Zack
:ultvillager: Isabelle
:ultmarth: Celica (Robin)
:ultfalcon: Black Shadow
:ultlink: Impa (Sheik)
:ultdk: Dixie (Diddy)
:ultryu: Ken
:ultness: Kumatora (Lucas)
:ultsonic: Shadow

Honorable mention for a not-yet-confirmed newcomer:
:ultshulk: Fiora (Elma)

others that were considered:
:ultpalutena: Medusa
:ultinkling: Octoling
:ultdk:Funky (Donkey Kong)
:ultshulk:Malos
:ultolimar: Brittany (uses Rock Pikmin)

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
For 10 echoes...

Most likely/ideal:
:ultsonic: = Shadow
:ultdiddy: = Dixie
:ultryu: = Ken
:ultvillager: = Isabelle

Possible:
:ultsheik: = Impa
:ultpalutena: = Medusa
:ultinkling: = Octoling
:ultness: = Ninten

Unlikely:
:ultdk: = Funky Kong
:ultbowser: = Dry Bowser

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
Hmm...

Sharkarat, could you do a recolour with Samus with orange on the heels and cuffs? I'd like to see what it looks like.

EDIT: Also, since I know it annoys artists (:troll: I know because it's happened to me), you didn't change the colour of the left (her right) cuff, it's still yellow.
Lol. I know I forgot that. but It's a while since i made this one and I always forget how to do good recolors in photoshop.
But are you refering to making the heels or the glow orange.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
10 Echoes:

Most Wanted
:ultdiddy: = Dixie Kong

Others
:ultbayonetta: = Jeanne
:ultike: = Black Knight
:ultpalutena: = Medusa
:ultsheik: = Impa
:ultzelda: = Hilda
:ultvillager: = Isabelle
:ultsonic: = Shadow
:ultfalcon: = Black Shadow
:ultinkling: = Octoling

D

Deleted member

10 echoes:

:ultrobin Celica
:ultdiddy: Dixie Kong
:ultryu: Ken
:ultvillager: Isabelle
:ultsonic: Shadow
:ultpalutena: Viridi
:ultsheik: Impa
:ultness: Ninten
:ultpikachu: Gorochu
:ultwiifittrainer: Waluigi

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hm, have we seen if the Metal Box has made a return? Just had a horrible thought of 'Metal Mario' being an echo. (*Shudder* or dare I think it, bloody 'pink-gold Peach')
Metal box has definitely returned (just saw a match with Ridley that had it). Believe it's an option in special smash.

Now does this deconfirm a Metal Mario clone? Nah. But it would be real suspicious if the metal box was gone along with the special smash mode. Would be literally one of the worst echo ideas. Dr. Mario should have just been altered to be an echo :/ but I get why not.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Here're some ideas for ya.
Green Baby Yoshi - Eats projectiles and restores your health.
Red Baby Yoshi - Eats projectiles and spits them back out again as a fireball.
Blue Baby Yoshi - Gives you two extra jumps.
Yellow Baby Yoshi - Causes a small quake when you land after jumping, other characters within a short distance from you are stunned briefly.
Pink Baby Yoshi - Increases your jump height and reduces your fall speed.
Cyan Baby Yoshi - Periodically spits out bubbles, if you get caught by one, you have to mash to get out, otherwise you are slowly carried offscreen.

When you "Equip" a Baby Yoshi, it sits on your head.
Had another thought regarding this.

What if, were Baby Yoshis an item, they sing along to the music if they are on the stage but not being held? (Yes, I'm aware of what a godawful level of work it would take to Yoshi-fy all 800+ of the songs. XD
y'all wanna talk about underrated Pokemon music?? I gotchu fam

That's three yesses from me.

Regarding Pokémon TCG GB...
Jazz Rendition of the Main Battle Theme. Give it a listen, it's a great cover.
Lol. I know I forgot that. but It's a while since i made this one and I always forget how to do good recolors in photoshop.
But are you refering to making the heels or the glow orange.
A couple of my icons I made have glaring graphical glitches in them that frustrate me to all hell. XD Fortunately, they're only visible at full size, so nobody notices. :laugh:
I was talking about making the glow orange (the parts you made pink/purple). I suppose you could try both and see how they work out, though.

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
Kanto: Psyduck or Farfetched
Brainfart: Gothitelle
Alola: Poipole

But Psyduck would be too op for this game

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So there's 14 music days left before release. And 18 series left to get a sample. 17 if excluding miis if the main theme counts for them.
By removing Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Gyromite, Duck Hunt and maybe Punch-Out and grouping them as one, removing Final Fantasy. There's around 2 possible new IPs in that case.

So my new game here is, which 2 new IPs if you were in charge do you pick for Ultimate?

Based on my own prediction. I'm going with Tekken and Tales(since they were the only new IPs I included in my list).

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Everyone? You have to pad the roster out with 10 echoes. Name them.
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow
:ultdiddy: - Dixie Kong
:ultinkling: - Octolings
:ultness: - Ninten
:ultpalutena: - Medusa
:ultryu: - Ken
:ultsheik: - Impa
:ultsonic: - Shadow
:ultvillager: - Isabelle
:ultyoshi: - Yarn Yoshi

btw I fully believe these are the 10 most likely if we were to get more.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hot Take:
I ****ing love Xenoblade Chronicles X's soundtrack. It's so unique, so incredibly over the top, and perfectly suited to a game where the world is full of alien monsters who are fought off and "researched" by a team of BLADE's with ****ing Gundam esque suits of Metal Gears. The game is ****ing nuts and the soundtrack reflects that and I love that, goddammit.

New L.A. Day. And Oblivia are two of my favorites.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Might as well join on the 10 'Echo' clone trend:
:ultbowser: - Dry Bowser
:ultdk: - Funky Kong
:ultfox: - James McCloud
:ultolimar: - Louie
:ultsonic: - Shadow
:ultzelda: - Twili Midna

D

Deleted member

Are we playing an Echo wishlist game again? I'll bite, here's my top ten:

1. :ultyoshi: - Boshi
2. :ultcorrin: - Kana
3. :ultness: - Ninten
4. :ultolimar: - Louie
5. :ultmetaknight: - Dark Meta Knight
6. :ultdoc: - Dr. Luigi
7. :ultpacman: - Ms. Pac-Man
8. :ultsonic: - Shadow
9. :ultvillager: - Isabelle
10. :ultinkling: - Octoling

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hot Take:
I ****ing love Xenoblade Chronicles X's soundtrack. It's so unique, so incredibly over the top, and perfectly suited to a game where the world is full of alien monsters who are fought off and "researched" by a team of BLADE's with ****ing Gundam esque suits of Metal Gears. The game is ****ing nuts and the soundtrack reflects that and I love that, goddammit.

I'll knock Xenoblade X down many pegs for many reasons, but the soundtrack ain't one of them, I don't really have strong feelings for Elma in Smash but if she brings Uncontrollable, Wir Fliegen and The Key We've Lost, I'm down for her

StormC

Smash Hero
So my new game here is, which 2 new IPs if you were in charge do you pick for Ultimate?

Based on my own prediction. I'm going with Tekken and Tales(since they were the only new IPs I included in my list).
Banjo-Kazooie and Panel De Pon. If possible, I'd resurrect Bomberman from the dead over Panel De Pon.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon I know you're not doing leak sessions anymore, but out of curiosity, how many recently have mentioned Elma and Waddle Dee (and/or optionally Neku)? Should help narrow it down a bit
Hot Take:

if anything that's more of a refreshing cool take cause I comPLETELY AGREE

the composer also worked on anime soundtracks like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan and I LOVED those soundtracks so much <3

there were only one or two tracks I can say I didn't like and they're mostly heard in squad missions online (not Nemesis battles) but everything else is a heckin BANGER

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Eh might as well throw it in

:ultsnake: - Big Boss
:ultsonic: - Shadow le Hedgehog
:ultpacman: - Ms. Pac-Man
:ultryu: - Ken
:ultcloud: - Zack
:ultbayonetta: - Jeanne

D

Deleted member

I'd probably go with Rhythm Heaven and Chibi Robo. Even though I haven't played a game in those series yet, they seem like some of the most interesting character ideas for Smash when talking about new IPs IMO.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
A couple of my icons I made have glaring graphical glitches in them that frustrate me to all hell. XD Fortunately, they're only visible at full size, so nobody notices. :laugh:
I was talking about making the glow orange (the parts you made pink/purple). I suppose you could try both and see how they work out, though.
Qucik Edit, It looks ok but I link the pink better. The recoloring of the heels themself is the almost more important than the exact glow color

Attachments

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So there's 14 music days left before release. And 18 series left to get a sample. 17 if excluding miis if the main theme counts for them.
By removing Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, Gyromite, Duck Hunt and maybe Punch-Out and grouping them as one, removing Final Fantasy. There's around 2 possible new IPs in that case.

First party: Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun
Third party: Tales Of and The World Ends With You

and welp im feeling dizzy and have trouble concentrating today imma lie down a bit,,,

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
PSY-YI-YI~ :054:

...The Psyduck emote isn't on the Smilie List.

Paging Dr. Warchamp7 Warchamp7 .
I think it's quite honestly one of the pokemon with the most personality. Just imagine him stumbling whilst attacking. He could even have a headache system, that after a while getting hit powers up a strong psychic attack. Also his Final Smash is him wagging his tail performing metronome, creating a big explosion and walking towards the camera with a look of cool confusion.

It's never gonna happen, but a girl can dream

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
:ultfalcon: Black Shadow
:ultdiddy:Dixie Kong, if that's the only way we get her
:ultinkling:Octolings
:ultpacman:Mrs. Pac-Man
:ultryu:Ken
:ultsonic:Shadow
:ultvillager:Isabelle
:ultfalco:Slippy
:ultolimar:Alph as his own character

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Upon trying to come up with ten echoes, I remembered, "Wait. Why don't we just make costumes like other fighting games?"

There's really no excuse for not adding a costume for James McCloud (add glasses), Funky Kong (add glasses and a bandana), Plusle and/or Minun (change color textures on Pichu) or a number of similar pallet swaps over the last several games. Putting in the effort to make an echo fighter for some of these while Baby Bowser gets every ****ing Koopaling as a costume boggles my mind.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Because being respectful to people living their own lives that don't have anything to do with your own SHOULD be black and white and universal.

As human beings we should be kind to one another.

I really shouldn't even have to say this.

Now because I'm not dragging this along since the moderators have stated they want to move on.

Everyone? You have to pad the roster out with 10 echoes. Name them.
:ultike:Black Knight
:ultfalcon:Black Shadow
:ultsonic:Shadow
:ultvillager:Isabelle
:ultfox:Slippy
:ultmegaman:Protoman or Bass
:ultryu:Ken
:ultmetaknight:Dark Meta Knight
:ultpikachu:Raichu
:ultdiddy:Dixie

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

Only two damn that's… hard. Hmmm I will also go with Tales, aaaaand… hell i dont know, Banjo Kazooie.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Qucik Edit, It looks ok but I link the pink better. The recoloring of the heels themself is the almost more important than the exact glow color
I do like the orange tint, but you're right, the pink is better.
I think it's quite honestly one of the pokemon with the most personality. Just imagine him stumbling whilst attacking. He could even have a headache system, that after a while getting hit powers up a strong psychic attack. Also his Final Smash is him wagging his tail performing metronome, creating a big explosion and walking towards the camera with a look of cool confusion.

It's never gonna happen, but a girl can dream
That's actually sounds pretty fun(ny).

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Upon trying to come up with ten echoes, I remembered, "Wait. Why don't we just make costumes like other fighting games?"

There's really no excuse for not adding a costume for James McCloud (add glasses), Funky Kong (add glasses and a bandana), Plusle and/or Minun (change color textures on Pichu) or a number of similar pallet swaps over the last several games. Putting in the effort to make an echo fighter for some of these while Baby Bowser gets every ****ing Koopaling as a costume boggles my mind.
It's not like an echo takes THAT much work to begin with.

It's hard to see some of 'em purely as alternate costumes.

When it comes to olimar and bowser jr. it are the pikmin and koopa clown car respectively that make up a lot of the frame data.

I can't see Dark Samus or Dixie Kong just being an alternate costume.

D

Deleted member

I don't think many Echo ideas would work with that approach. Echos, while being less time consuming and ambitious as newcomers, are still made with a lot of love and care with minor stat changes and brand new animations. It's a way to show the character's personality and help them feel more distinct, even if they aren't all that different from the character they were based off of.

Koopalings and Bowser Jr. work because them having the exact same animations as the character they're based off of makes sense, as their personalities don't differ too much. Alph is a bit of a weirder case, but seeing as how he is basically the Olimar of Pikmin 3 (In terms of role, not personality!), I think that's why he's still a costume swap.

Just my two cents on the matter, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom