• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
Midbus is supposed to be unambiguously male. The Mario series already played the "trap" card...

Let's not call her that, shall we? Not the best term to those groups. :ohwell:

What?

You don't want to manage to avoid drowning?
Honestly, though? I'd love MGS2 Raiden as a Snake echo. We already have MGS2 Snake, Raiden would fit right in with the same animations treatment Dark Samus got to better fit his personality. One of my most wanted echo fighters, besides Ken.

I would love to have the stupid cartwheel animation for the dodge, it would be so fun.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's a topic, take a current echo and say how you would Luigify them in the next Smash game.

To start, Dark Samus: replace Missile with summoning an echo to fly forwards, the two then converge, back at the start is the opposite or neutral direction is held, where the echo is if the direction is held.
Replace the Blue Toad counter with Daisy screaming, "Hi, I'm Daisy!". Paralyzes opponents for a few seconds.

If they wanted to make Daisy more unique, they could easily implement more flower-themed moves. Instead of a parasol, she could summon a bouncy flower like Sonic's spring. She could also use Pihranna Plants instead of Toad, only this would be a straight-up attack instead of a counter.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Here's a topic, take a current echo and say how you would Luigify them in the next Smash game.

To start, Dark Samus: replace Missile with summoning an echo to fly forwards, the two then converge, back at the start is the opposite or neutral direction is held, where the echo is if the direction is held.
-Ganondorf could get a few more Dark Magic-y attacks + maybe a sword move or two taken straight out of The Wind Waker or Twilight Princess.
-Lucina could get some more Melee Marth-esk moves in her moveset and more of a Melee Marth style.
-Chrom could get new lunge sword attacks.
-Toon Link could continue to get more acrobatic moves to emulate his acrobatic swordfighting style in The Wind Waker.
-Ken Masters could get a mix of new attacks he gets throughout the Street Fighter Alpha series, III series, IV series and V series of games.
-Shadow the Hedgehog could get more gun attacks + more attacks taken straight out of modern Sonic games.

Staarih

Smash Master
So... there a Nintendo Direct rumored to shtart in two hours 15 minutes. What do we think, real or fake?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/rumour_new_nintendo_direct_airing_later_today
Looks to be some sort of Nindie thing, probably a shadow drop of a showcase or something. On a very EU-based time, could go along with Gamescom happening tomorrow.

Hopefully we get more info on Shovel Knight: King of Cards and Travis Strikes Back.

Edit: quite a few indie devs teasing announcements: https://www.resetera.com/threads/morphies-law-and-other-nindies-updates-coming-in-few-hours.63038/

Last edited:

Jonny_Cookie

Smash Rookie
Alright. Here's my predictions:

Newcomers:
-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Isaac
-Gen 7 Pokemon
-Rhythm Heaven Rep

Echoes:
-Isabelle (Villager)
-Impa (Sheik)
-Shadow (Sonic)
-Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)

DLC is something that could change in the future, but I'll give it a go:

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses Character
-Gen 8 Pokemon
-ARMs Character
-Rex/Pyra
-LoZ BotW Champion (Revali/Urbosa/Daruk/Mipha)
-Kirby Star Allies Character (Bandana Dee or Marx most likely)
-Third Party Character #1
-Third Party Character #2
Great choices, I forgot Arms I can really see that happening as well as a Kirby character as well but I don’t know that much about the series

Not a bad idea, and theorize is always fun, so here is my list

Unique fighters in base roster :
Elma (Xenoblade X)
Isaac (GS)
Skull Kid (Zelda)
RH rep
Lip (Panel de Pon)

Echo in base roster
Isabelle (AC)
Ken (SF)
Dixie Kong (DK)
Impa (Zelda)
Shadow (Sonic)
Black Knight (FE)

Unique fighter (DLC)
Eighth generation Pokemon
Spring Man (ARMS)
Rex&Pyra (Xenoblade)
Eldelgard (FE)
Rayman
Banjo
Someone from Namco Bandai or SE
Kirby rep? Maybe Bandana Dee or Magolor
Rayman is a really good pick as well and would love to see how angry people get about the Black Knight getting in but I still would want him, the more fire emblem the better

Last edited by a moderator:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

Damn it, you chose literally the best character to Luigify right off the bat. Okay then, I’ll go with the other “Dark” echo.

Dark Pit can keep his Silver Bow as his default weapon since that is usually his weapon of choice, but he should have all his normals changed around to have different frame data, damage, and knockback angles. The melee attacks of the Silver Bow tend to be weaker than those of the Palutena Bow in Uprising, so I would say that making him a character with lower damage but better frame data as a whole would suit him well. Ironically, the Silver Bow is actually supposed to have excellent shot homing, so ideally Dark Pit’s arrows would be weaker than Pit’s but aim at opponents somewhat automatically, (though not perfectly because that could be somewhat broken.) I would also change his Down-Special to the Ogre Club that he uses in Chapter 6, and make it only able to reflect in one direction in exchange for also having an absurdly powerful hitbox. Holding down the button will charge up the swing, and at full charge, it releases a slow but gigantic and powerful charge shot, similar to the game.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
If we’re including changing clones as well, we could change Dr. Mario by erasing him from the game and adding a Dr. Mario stage in his place (kidding about the former).

But I agree, Daisy is a bit of a missed opportunity with echoes now that we know how different they can be. Not sure how to Luigify her though—definitely replace the blue toad, maybe with a tennis racket? I know she uses a golf club animation in one of her moves. Daisy using a toad for attacks is just weird. Peach using toads for attacks is weird for that matter, just thematically makes sense. I really like the flower jump idea. Add in a Sarasaland stage and we’re good.

D

Deleted member

Dark Pit's Neutral B is changed to his Staff which works like a weaker version of the Staff item.
Dark Samus's Down B makes a clone of herself that moves around and can be ordered to attack with Down B, but dies in one hit and she also takes that damage as well. Down Smash is replaced with the Phazon Thingy.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

I like that. For Dark Samus?
StandardB - Scattershot: Like the Charge Shot but the button is held rather than tapped. The longer you hold, the more shots that will be fired. Will fire automatically a few moments after charging fully.
SideB - Hyper Missile: Extremely fast, powerful projectile with monstrous startup and endlag. Becomes weaker the farther it travels.
UpB - Echo Jump: Launches an Echo upward while surrounded by a Phazon Aura. Can be angled diagonally. Dark Samus will automatically snap to the Echo when it runs out of range or grabs a ledge. Can be cancelled to leave Dark Samus where she is by pressing B again.
DownB - Echo Trap: Dark Samus splits in two outward and leaves a puddle of Phazon at the point of origin. Holding a direction allows you to choose which Echo is the “master” Echo that becomes playable, and the other will snap to it. The Phazon puddle remains for five seconds and will entangle anyone who steps in it in hardened Phazon, freezing them in place until they break free (easier at low percents). Used in midair, the Echoes will travel downward diagonally and no trap will be left.

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
There's no evidence for the stage being too heavy on the processor. The Switch has ways to make games work on both docked and handheld mode (such as reducing textures and such). And if a stage like Paper Mario can can in with stage morph and 8-Player Smash in effect, why's Woolly World any different?
Are you basing your assumptions woolly world on technical knowledge and experience or feelings?
You guys commentate the matches

I drop rhymes like I'm creating poetry out of the times
I speak truth so fine you swear it was divine
I give the answers to the questions you never had
I give knowledge and understanding because I can
I actually remember that. You can write the intro rap

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Big Boss shows up as an Echo Fighter... I'm going to freaking lose all senses of sanity.

Iunno, Shadow and Ken seem like locks in regards to 3rd party Echo Fighters, but Big Boss is the next logical step.

It could happen.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HYPEEEE-OOOOO!!!

Last edited:

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been around in a few days, any leaks or rumours or anything new worth talking about?

Weird. Don’t they have a name for Indie Directs? Whatever, I’m sure there won’t be any Smash info. It would completely steal any attention from the Indie games.
That, and it hasn't even been 2 full weeks since the Smash Direct lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the only things Smash we'll hear on this supposed Nindies direct is a "you may have seen Shovel Knight on the latest Smash Direct, now here's new adventure" or at the very most, a new indie Assist Trophy. But I don't see it.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Just woke up an saw the nindie thing. Just two things I want to point out.

First thing is that that a leaker mentioned there would be two directs this month, one a Nintendo direct, and one a nindies showcase. It said one of them was in the first 10 days of August and the other one was in mid August. I guess they had accurate info but the smash direct was guessed to be a Nintendo direct instead. I think the leaker in question was leakypandy.

Second thing is that, while I don't expect anything on smash at all, I wouldn't entirely rule out shantae being announced here but it's an extreme long shot. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
While we are on the topic of Indies.
What do you think the chances of a Indie newcomer making it into smash?
If you don't want an indie newcomer, why?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just woke up an saw the nindie thing. Just two things I want to point out.

First thing is that that a leaker mentioned there would be two directs this month, one a Nintendo direct, and one a nindies showcase. It said one of them was in the first 10 days of August and the other one was in mid August. I guess they had accurate info but the smash direct was guessed to be a Nintendo direct instead. I think the leaker in question was leakypandy.

Second thing is that, while I don't expect anything on smash at all, I wouldn't entirely rule out shantae being announced here but it's an extreme long shot. Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Did they have any other info? Can you find the original post/mirror of original?

With Shovel Knight as an assist, I put Shantae's chances of play-ability at a generous 20%. I'm mostly assuming she would be another Assist at this point.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
I feel like in the ballot times the most popular one was Shovel Knight, if he is just an assist trophy I see it hard for others to be more than that.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think for this game we shouldn't expect Indies in the base roster, and I'd prefer none, with a limited roster I think every newcomer should be a heavy hitter--not just a rep for the sake of a rep.

But future DLC or Smash games would be nice to have Indies represented along with everyone else. I think Travis Touchdown has the best chance, particularly with his popularity in Japan. Shantae looks interesting move-wise. And Sans jokes aside, I think Undertale could make for an interesting stage idea.

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
Hi all, just thought I’d post how I would want the roster to be within reason of course, and explain why I think they have a chance unless it’s a obvious pick
Newcomers:
Incinaroar
Heihachi
Geno
Issac
Banjo and Kazooie

Echoes:
Isabelle (of Villager)
Ninten (of Ness)
Plusle/Minun (of Pichu, will be one character but a costume alt for both, also to rep gen 3 and it’s remakes)
Impa (Of Sheik)
Shadow (of Sonic)
Ken. (Of Ryu)
DLC:
Crash bandicoot ( the N.sane trilogy will have been out on the switch for a while then and he is highly requested)
Rex and Pyra ( don’t think there was enough time to put in base roster)
Mipha ( unique move set and I’m sure a breath of the wild character will get in)
Joker ( from Persona 5, I know it’s sony but we have Cloud and persona Q2 is coming to 3ds along with shin megami on the switch plus he is owned by Sega which has characters already)
Edelgard ( from Three houses to rep the new game one of the main characters uses an axe which we don’t have for fire emblem)
Coco bandicoot ( as an echo of Crash makes perfect sense)

Tried to mix some new characters with some old ones, also since 8 characters is the most on screen at a time the series’s that have almost 8 should have 8 which is why I think we needed at least 1 new Pokémon, 1 new Fire emblem characters and 2 Zelda characters
I appreciate this because you put Banjo-Kazooie in the base game, for my mind if the minecraft rumours are true, I can't see why they wouldn't be. Put as long as they get in sometime that's all that matters, even if its waiting for DLC.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'll do Octoling because I find them being echoes inevitable.

Neutral B: Dualies. The Octoling brings out a pair of Splat Dualies. They have more power but less range then Inkling's Splattershot. You can also roll out of it.

Side B: Carbon Roller. It's a much faster version of the Splat Roller. It deals a little less damage and doesn't bury, but it consumes less ink.

Up B: Splat Jump. Same.

Down B: Autobomb. The Octoling throws out a bomb that searches out a player. It deals less damage, but comes straight too them. If two players are in it's field of view, it goes for the player in the lead.

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
I feel like in the ballot times the most popular one was Shovel Knight, if he is just an assist trophy I see it hard for others to be more than that.
well there's one character that i found to be equal or grater then him...
Shantae , i mean she started on the game boy and can have way more unique movesets so , if she is in the game then im 70% sure they would revel in that direct

infact when looking at ballot list's shovel knight and shantae are in the top 20 usely , sometimes shantae is above him and sometimes he is above her however
putting all them list probably would make them equal , there usely the only 2 , so she is likely the last chance we got.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So if it doesn't have an annoucment from Nintendo it should just go live in like, 25 minutes out of nowhere?

D

Deleted member

You guys can bet my ass I'll be campaigning hard for Shovel Knight if DLC is announced.
I mean, if we don't even get SK music in the game, what's the point?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
You guys can bet my *** I'll be campaigning hard for Shovel Knight if DLC is announced.
I mean, if we don't even get SK music in the game, what's the point?
I think it's important to campaign for those that are stuck as Assists as it may have cost them some votes last time.

That is assuming they do a public vote at all this time.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I found this in 4chan so I'm not sure if this is someone that edited a Vergeben comment or if is real:

You guys talked about this before?
Edit: they are saying this is shopped, which I also believe it is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I found this in 4chan so I'm not sure if this is someone that edited a Vergeben comment or if is real:

You guys talked about this before?
You can literally just go to his profile on GameFaqs and see his last post is the Ken one. It seems like you guys have never dealt with fake leaks lol

Jonny_Cookie

Smash Rookie
Ok, here’s mine
Newcomers:
-Incineroar
-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Balloon Fighter (one of the few mandatory retro characters to have a home stage)
-Isaac (without a home stage, will come as DLC)/Banjo-Kazooie (again, without a home stage, will come as DLC)

Echoes:
-Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)
-Shadow/Tails (Sonic)
-Isabelle (Villager)
-Impa (Sheik)/Ken (Ryu)/Octoling (Inkling, IMHO the most likely, with Splatoon 2 aestethics)

DLCs:
-Gen 8 Pokémon (in order to promote the upcoming Switch game)
-Edelgard/New FE Lord (in order to promote Three Houses, maybe with a home stage)
-Spring Man (with a home stage)
-Ribbon Girl (Spring Man’s Echo, has a third jump)
-Rex (with a home stage, I don’t know how Pyra will be implemented)
-Banjo-Kazooie (if not in the bass game)
-Other 2 newcomers

That would be a lot of stuff. Well, I hope I’m right: I would DIE for a roster like that.
I imagine Pyra will be next to Pokémon trainer with the assist[/QUOTE]

I appreciate this because you put Banjo-Kazooie in the base game, for my mind if the minecraft rumours are true, I can't see why they wouldn't be. Put as long as they get in sometime that's all that matters, even if its waiting for DLC.
it just makes complete sense to me for Banjo-Kazooie to be in the timing seems right

Alright I'll play the game!

Newcomers (Limiting to the Estimated Remaining)
  • Isaac
  • Geno / Banjo-Kazooie
  • Bandana Dee
  • Gen 7 Rep
Echoes (Limiting to the Estimated Remaining)
  • Isabelle
  • Shadow
  • Ken
  • Dixie Kong
DLC Newcomers (Limiting to Five as to Wii U's newcomer DLC count)
  • Banjo-Kazooie / Geno
  • Rex & Pyra / Elma
  • Springman
  • Monster Hunter
  • Professor Layton (at this point I ran out of thoughts)
DLC Echoes (Limiting to Two as to the Wii U's echo DLC count)
  • Impa
  • Octolings
If all this came to fruition we might actually have the best game of all time. It would be the perfect roster.
Professor Layton would have a very interesting play style

Here's mine:

Newcomers:
- Geno (Pretty much a given, since King K. Rool got in)
- Isaac
- Decidueye/Incineroar (whichever of these Pokemon made it in, I wouldn't mind)
- Skull Kid
- Rhythm Heaven rep.

Echo Fighters:
- Shadow (Sonic)
- Ken/Akuma (Ryu)
- Impa (Sheik)
- Isabelle (Villager)
- Black Knight (Ike)

DLC:
- Saber (Fate/stay night)
- Rex and Pyra
- Spring Man
- Jin Kazama
- Banjo & Kazooie
I would have picked Jin but ever since Heihachi’s VA passed I really hope he got in such a great voice

I've got a much more conservative outlook on what we're going to get. Only 2 newcomers from the fall direct, with 2-3 echo fighters.

Newcomers:
- Skull Kid
- Incineroar

Echo Fighters:
- Shadow
- Ken
- Isabelle
Even if it was just this the game would still be amazing, poor Sakurai works so hard

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Personally didn't intrest me much, I guess the most intresting thing was the tease of more at the end, which I guess is reffering to Gamescom? Hopefully Indies I care about lol.
Yeah, the video is essentially pre-Gamescom promo as many of the titles are playable there. Probably the reason why it’s EU based being on the UK channel.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
This dropped on Nintendo UK channel:

Oh **** yeah, Everspace is coming to Switch! And finally a Slay the Spire announcement! Sweet! Shame neither of them will be out before Smash. So many damn good games on this system, though. Makes me forget there isn’t a virtual console most of the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom