• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm going to be a bit gutsy and throw out the following predictions for the next few months:

- August: We won't get anything new in the next 10 days or so.
- September: We'll get a single trailer released ala Robin/Lucina's trailer unattached from any direct. Given this, the reveal will be for a unique newcomer and an echo from the same series (the echo does not have to echo the simutaneously announced character, but it certainly could). There are two options I see as front runners for this: Skull Kid/Impa or Isaac/Felix, with my prediction being for the golden boys.
- October: Smash Direct again, focusing on Spirits mode. We get two trailers, bookending the direct, and two echoes. My predictions are Incineroar starting the direct, Isabelle and Ken as echoes and Banjo-Kazooie ending the direct. This is the full reveal of the base game's cast, meaning we get a total of 14 newcomers, broken down into 7 uniques and 7 echoes.
- Late November/Early December: General Nintendo Direct on early 2019 release dates, including Smash DLC. Our first DLC character is revealed to be Spring Man with a Springtron echo. They will be a free download to anyone who buys an annual Nintendo Switch Online membership before January 31st 2019, and will be available in March 2019.
Makes sense. I'm thinking a bit differently from this, but I can see it.

Entirely possible, but it's fun to talk about. Especially since it's a topic not normally brought up here.
Fair enough.

Please for the love of God

Just let them have one moveset that combines all the Custom Moves of past games

Along with one height/weight class only to make it easier to balance/not a nightmare for tournaments to use Mii Fighters.

PLEASE!!!!
My guess which is optimism speaking is that it will be more options on the same window that lets you select a color. You'll pick your voice and special set there I'd presume. I think we all hope it's not some silly create a character nonsense again because that's just way too slow for tournament play.
amen.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm going to be a bit gutsy and throw out the following predictions for the next few months:

- August: We won't get anything new in the next 10 days or so.
- September: We'll get a single trailer released ala Robin/Lucina's trailer unattached from any direct. Given this, the reveal will be for a unique newcomer and an echo from the same series (the echo does not have to echo the simutaneously announced character, but it certainly could). There are two options I see as front runners for this: Skull Kid/Impa or Isaac/Felix, with my prediction being for the golden boys.
- October: Smash Direct again, focusing on Spirits mode. We get two trailers, bookending the direct, and two echoes. My predictions are Incineroar starting the direct, Isabelle and Ken as echoes and Banjo-Kazooie ending the direct. This is the full reveal of the base game's cast, meaning we get a total of 14 newcomers, broken down into 7 uniques and 7 echoes.
- Late November/Early December: General Nintendo Direct on early 2019 release dates, including Smash DLC. Our first DLC character is revealed to be Spring Man with a Springtron echo. They will be a free download to anyone who buys an annual Nintendo Switch Online membership before January 31st 2019, and will be available in March 2019.
I agree for the most part, but at this point I really don't see Geno not happening.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'd personally much rather have the BK as an echo but if he somehow made it in as boss, I definitely wouldn't be complaining. I love a good boss fight.
Who says a character can't be a boss and playable?

Would be sick to see the boss forms of Ridley and Meta Ridley from Brawl/Smash 4 return in Spirits and Boss Rush mode.
I don't think they'd do that when they can use said resources to make a completely different boss who's not already repped. I'd rather they just throw in, say, a Giant Ridley battle into the single player mode, maybe alongside Metal Mario.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Who says a character can't be a boss and playable?

Would be sick to see the boss forms of Ridley and Meta Ridley from Brawl/Smash 4 return in Spirits and Boss Rush mode.
As one of the scarce fans of Pyrosphere, I wouldn't be against this. Just identify them all as clones of Ridley and you're good to go.
And at this point, I doubt that many people would be against the Black Knight; the franchises people claim have been snubbed by Fire Emblem have finally gotten the characters fans have clamored for for the past decade, plus Echo Fighters are more or less alts in themselves now, so there'd be no real reason for an uproar. I've only played Awakening, but I'd be down for him.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I agree for the most part, but at this point I really don't see Geno not happening.
I'm thinking it's Geno or Banjo since both are in very similar situations. My preference is Geno but I can see Square being difficult given the company has a history of being difficult.

The tipping point is Verge's leak on Minecraft content, as that would mean Sakurai would be already talking with Microsoft, so I think the odds are slightly in Banjo's favor (though tbh I'm like 55:45 for Banjo and 50:50 for Geno).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As one of the scarce fans of Pyrosphere, I wouldn't be against this. Just identify them all as clones of Ridley and you're good to go.
And at this point, I doubt that many people would be against the Black Knight; the franchises people claim have been snubbed by Fire Emblem have finally gotten the characters fans have clamored for for the past decade, plus Echo Fighters are more or less alts in themselves now, so there'd be no real reason for an uproar. I've only played Awakening, but I'd be down for him.
Honestly I would love to see Pyrosphere return with this exception. The boss Ridley is different enough to where you can easily tell which Ridley is the realest Ridley and which Ridley is the less real Ridley and which Ridley is Ridley Scott! :laugh:

As for The Black Knight, he was a decently popular suggestion in Brawl. It would be cool to have a human villain from the Fire Emblem series playable in Smash, especially The Black Knight. He is arguably the most iconic and best human Final Boss type enemy.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Can someone explain the Impa as a Sheik Echo thing to me? When has Impa ever been a ninja?

I know Dark Samus creates a lot of precedence for characters who are similar build-wise and not necessarily ability-wise to be Echoes but Impa is usually either an old lady or a well-built woman.

...or a big mom in the Oracle games.

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman

There was discussion of this on 4chan but allegedly the post was deleted and I can't get any confirmation if it really existed or if this was a fake. Does anyone have any more information on this supposed post?

Shroob

Sup?

There was discussion of this on 4chan but allegedly the post was deleted and I can't get any confirmation if it really existed or if this was a fake. Does anyone have any more information on this supposed post?
If it was deleted, there'd be almost no way of knowing.

But why would Verg delete his post anyway?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

There was discussion of this on 4chan but allegedly the post was deleted and I can't get any confirmation if it really existed or if this was a fake. Does
anyone have any more information on this supposed post?
Probably fake considering 4Chan tried pulling the same stunt before.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Shame it would be Marx and not Dark Matter, if they were to introduce an actual Kirby villain. I don’t really think any of Kirby’s villains are high-profile enough to show up, honestly, so if isn’t Important Goomba I don’t know who it would be.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Regarding the Black Knight being an Ike Echo, I'm not sure if it's workable or not considering the Black Knight's armor, but maybe it's possible. Dark Samus shows general animations can be different and attack animations can be altered a bit, which means such adjustments could be made to give the hypothetical Echo Black Knight more stiff animations that are more fitting (and prevent excessive clipping). The main thing he really has going for him is the Mii Costume that shows he must have been on Sakurai's radar to some degree, and thus consideration for an Echo slot could have certainly happened.

I would be pretty surprised if it actually did happen and think it's more likely that he ends up a boss, but I don't think it's impossible.

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Shame it would be Marx and not Dark Matter, if they were to introduce an actual Kirby villain. I don’t really think any of Kirby’s villains are high-profile enough to show up, honestly, so if isn’t Important Goomba I don’t know who it would be.
Magalor would likely have a bigger shot than Marx given that he's apparently very popular in Japan and was relevant around the time of the ballot. I'd absolutely love to see Marx make it in though.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Can someone explain the Impa as a Sheik Echo thing to me? When has Impa ever been a ninja?

I know Dark Samus creates a lot of precedence for characters who are similar build-wise and not necessarily ability-wise to be Echoes but Impa is usually either an old lady or a well-built woman.

Idk. Maybe she was a ninja in OoT or something? I never played the old Zelda games.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

It's not like they had much to work with for Sheik either. Since Impa was a Skeikah in OoT, that's where the ninja association comes from...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Idk. Maybe she was a ninja in OoT or something? I never played the old Zelda games.
Ocarina of Time: MILF Ninja Lady who taught Zelda the know-how
Skyward Sword: An actual warrior

Literally any other Zelda: "Can you help an old lady cross the street?"

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

At 3:33 Impa uses the same disappearing move as Shiek. It’s heavily implied that Zelda learn her Shiekah ninja skills from Impa.

Plus, smash Shiek takes a design elements from Impa with the knife on her back.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant

Simplest thing is to go ask Vergeben himself, if it was faked he would come out and say it, just as he has done every other time someone tried faking him saying something.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
So a new Kirby character that isn't Waddle Dee?

GALACTA KNIGHT!

I'm guessing Magolor then?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

4chan has faked Twitter posts and GameFAQs posts before and they will do it again.

When it comes to 4chan image posts, I will remind you of the glorious truth:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm a little skeptical of any claims of characters that wouldn't have fans that aren't echos. So basically Richter situations.

I don't care either way about Bandana Dee or further Kirby representation, but I feel as if we were going to get a Kirby rep. It'd be Bandana Dee just because of the fan request nature of all the newcomers thus far save literally one.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

The Sheikah Tribe as a whole are generally depicted as extremely ninja-like. They're especially ninja-like in, say, BotW. A lot of people seem to expect her Hyrule Warriors appearance, but I personally think Young Impa from her Skyward Sword appearance is far more likely as she's very lean and nimble in that game.

Edit: There's also that fact that her HW appearance is from a spin-off and I think they'd much rather use a main series appearance in Smash.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If it wasn't Bandana Dee, I'd hope it would be Marx.

But Magalor was probably the one getting the votes in 2015.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Skyward Sword Impa is perfect as a Sheik clone TBH. It fits in lore and with the character.

Plus if rumors and hints are to be believed and we are getting Skull Kid next, the last major Zelda game without a character using the design from said game would be Skyward Sword.

Also in Ocarina of Time Sheik was probably trained by Impa, so it makes sense. Sheik's training was basically the traditional Sheikah training anyways.

Coincidence? I think not. Well maybe it is IDK

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The most I know of Impa is from Hyrule Warriors where she carries a gigantic sword and uses water moves, and BoTW where she's an old lady who's there to dump lore on you.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The most I know of Impa is from Hyrule Warriors where she carries a gigantic sword and uses water moves, and BoTW where she's an old lady who's there to dump lore on you.
And that's basically the whole of Impa really.

She's either a complete bad ass or a lore machine.

Or you know both in one in cases like Skyward Sword.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The most active Impa's been in the canonical Zelda games was in Skyworld Sword. It's not out of the realm of possibility for her to have "ninja" moves...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's the most anyone knows.
Her entire shtick is the mysterious bodyguard of Zelda.
Hell, the only reason she has her popularity nowadays is because of Hyrule Warriors and that she's one of the few recurring characters in the Zelda universe.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What if we just get a normal Waddle Dee?

Can you imagine?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Another Kirby fighter who isn't BD?

If this isn't fake...

First of all, I be very sad for BD supporter and Japan as a whole. (They WANT the little guy, there he is like mega popular)

Second of all...

:lol:

Maybe it could be Dark Matter? Please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom