• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Didn’t Sakurai say that the Pikachu in Smash Bros Brawl and onward was the Pichu in Melee that evolved into Pikachu?

GASP! He’s a TIME TRAVELER!
I don't think that was a statement made by him. People just theorized that because back in Melee, Pichu wore blue goggles in one of his alts, whereas Pikachu didn't in any of his. Then in Brawl, Pichu was cut, and Pikachu gained Pichu's goggles for one of his alts.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Has anyone seen this leak recently?
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/420618251#p420622354

EDIT: Here's pretty much a summary of the leak for those who don't care.

-We're getting 12 newcomers, 8 unique, 4 echo (including Inkling, Ridley, and Daisy)
-It will contain some highly requested characters, and some characters Sakurai wanted to add in previous smash games
-There'll be 25 new stages, and 100 returning ones
-Every version of Battlefield and Final Destination is available
-The main unlocking method for characters will "feel like an adventure" (The return of Adventure Mode?)

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If amiibos do carry over the same data then how will skins that were in sm4sh and not in Ultimate be carried over?
Say you have a Mario amiibo with the US Flag-like alt. So the amiibo's code would read something like:

MarioAmiiboCostume == 07

But say in Smash Ultimate, Mario's seventh alt is his Super Mario Maker outfit. It would read the code as usual, but just apply a different outfit, as the value would still be valid.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
My point is, what Shadow fan wants him in Smash playing exactly the same way as Sonic? Would anyone be happy about that? Genuine question if anyone happens to be a Shadow fan in here.

Like yeah as far as echos go it makes sense but people are expecting way too many echos to begin with. Just because its a concept doesn't mean Sakurai suddenly thinks its a brilliant idea to force a bunch into the roster. We'll get two more echos MAXIMUM. Just because he changed the official term doesn't mean fans will receive them any more kindly when they start blowing up the roster. That much more so when they are a character meant to not be the character they are "echoing." It's like arguing Dixie should be a basic echo of Diddy, just because.

EDIT: I'm really not meaning to rant so much....
To answer your question about Shadow, yeah actually. I am shadow fan and have always liked his character, but I would be totally fine with him being an echo of sonic. I mean, I care more about the fact that he's playable than a unique moveset so I'd be totally happy with it.

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I believe it's possible they made it so Miis are the only ones with custom moves now. Forgot who it was here, but someone noted in footage that some of the Miis used specials that you could only choose one over the other back in Smash 4. If this is the case I think that's the best compromise. The Miis don't lose a huge part of their appeal with the customizable moves, and those who aren't fond of Custom moves don't have to deal with it for most characters other then the Miis

Though I think the Miis in random online that they said they'd try to get them ready for might stick to a default. And tournaments might follow suit on that.
The thing about that is that I'm fairly certain none of them used more than three non-recovery specials, though we know for a fact that in-game customization exists because you need to pick a voice for each Mii anyway, so the point is moot.
In the trailer for them, am I seeing it correctly that Mii Brawler uses a counter where he actually grabs the opponent rather than doing a normal counter attack?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Not really grasping for anything, just saying it shouldn’t be ruled out entirely is all. In reality I don’t know all I can say is we can expect a lot of unexpected turns.
You are right that Sakurai likes to surprise but a character he directly mentioned confirmed to be in a final smash is a safe disconfirmation and ends all hope for them to be playable.

"Sakurai likes to surprise" is definitely grasping for any remaining hope for a character. I get you, I was one of the fellas who still believed in Ridley in Smash 4, but her acknowledgement in this game is to be part of Shulk's final smash and it will end there.

We'll agree to disagree I feel. Hopefully for you he does pull a stunning move like that. I liked Fiora in Xenoblade so I won't complain too much haha.

Last edited:

Xephilon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2294-3812-5736
Guys, is it true that there will be a demo the 17th for Japan eShop? I read something along those lines in Nintendo Japanese twitter.

Sorry if someone already posted about this, I was behind by 60 pages and I wasnt going to go through each one...too lazy.

Whababa

Smash Cadet
Say you have a Mario amiibo with the US Flag-like alt. So the amiibo's code would read something like:

MarioAmiiboCostume == 07

But say in Smash Ultimate, Mario's seventh alt is his Super Mario Maker outfit. It would read the code as usual, but just apply a different outfit, as the value would still be valid.
Ah, that makes sense

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Have we seen Ridley's final Smash against any character that's not Samus? Does her ship always appear in his final Smash regardless?

Zeox

Smash Champion
Just a text leak with no proof of anything that is saying, but gonna have a little fun with it

>12 newcomers will be added including the previously revealed 3
So this person is saying that there would be 9 new more characters, because Sakurai said to not expect too much characters, 9 is a number that doesn't sounds too high but it also doesn't sounds too low so people are not disappointed.
>There will be some long requested characters in there, along with some characters Sakurai wanted to add in previous titles, I can definitely say this roster will surprise you.
Pretty much means "no characters from new games, but from old games and all time wanted characters. Also "I know the characters but not gonna say their names" makes this automatically false, if you are gonna leak, you leak everything, there is no reason to keep info for yourself if you are already leaking everything.
>There are 25 new stages, and the amount of return stages in the game will be 100
A round number, that's a lot of stages to be added
>Every version of Battlefield and Final Destination will be in this game.
Because is smash ultimate and is supposed to be a celebration of all smash, if I would make a fake leak I would say stuff like this too
>The last thing i’ll say is that the way you’ll unlock the characters will truly feel like an adventure
And I would had said the exact same thing, there is an adventure story mode and is like brawl and you unlock the characters the same way.
This is the kind of leak you, me and anybody would make, not saying is fake, but it have no credibility at all.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Is there even enough inspiration from recent titles to make 25 new stages? I know you can always go into the past for such a thing, but considering the bulk of the previous stages are essentially classic locales you'd think they'd stick to newer titles for new stages.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Guys, is it true that there will be a demo the 17th for Japan eShop? I read something along those lines in Nintendo Japanese twitter.

Sorry if someone already posted about this, I was behind by 60 pages and I wasnt going to go through each one...too lazy.
This is the first I'm hearing about this.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is there even enough inspiration from recent titles to make 25 new stages? I know you can always go into the past for such a thing, but considering the bulk of the previous stages are essentially classic locales you'd think they'd stick to newer titles for new stages.
If you're creative enough, there's enough ammunition for however many stages are needed.

However, there is definitely a limited amount of resources and time, and seeing as the game releases in 6 months, 25 stages seems ridiculous.

Roberk

Smash Champion
...that's not a definition I created.
17:44

They talk about what an Echo Fighter is.

Aside from that, Lucina and Dark Pit have the same overall stats as their counterparts.
So if what these guys are saying is what is going to define the game, then I don’t think I want to speculate about Echo Fighters. I brought up characters being alts (Alph for Olimar, etc.) over the past few months for fun but this is just that idea gone wrong. “Echo” is essentially a glorified alt for most inclusions at this point. Unless they change an important mechanic like Lucina not having tipper, aren’t they the exact same barring a few non-hitbox animations? I prefer Melee clones, playing around with stats led to new play styles but Echoes are just so barebones. What’s the point? Just make em an alt.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Well, in smash 3ds they added magicant, a stage based on a place from mother 1, a nes game.
And honestly, there is a lot of places that could be great stages, like bowser's castle, saturn valley, Gang Plank Galleon, Hyper zone...
But yes, 25 new stages is too much, specially because they are already adding all the old ones and is just too much work.

D

Deleted member

What would you like to see out of game play modes and online?

For me, I want to see Tournament return offline. Also direct voice chat like what we're getting with the Switch version of Forenight.

Whababa

Smash Cadet
This footage has having me very excited in terms of the mobility in the game and appears to be a mix of Melee what with the wavelanding and speed, brawl with some of the art direction and old favorites such as wolf and snake, and smash 4 with the art direction large amount of stages and combos. Cancelling dashes to me is actually one of the things I am most excited about and will shape the meta imo.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Depends on your perception of what you want; I'm sure I could easily pick 25 stages just choosing from Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and Splatoon ones.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
So if what these guys are saying is what is going to be on the game, then I don’t think I want to speculate about Echo Fighters. I brought up characters being alts (Alph for Olimar, etc.) over the past few months for fun but this is just that idea gone wrong. “Echo” is essentially a glorified alt for most inclusions at this point. Unless they change an important mechanic like Lucina not having tipper, aren’t they the exact same barring a few non-hitbox animations? I prefer Melee clones, playing around with stats led to new play styles but Echoes are just so barebones. What’s the point? Just make em an alt.
While that's true it's not like they're spending much time on them, and unlike melee where clones existed to pad the roster, echo fighters are used to add popular and wanted characters with little to no effort, like I'd rather have daisy with no differences than I would a Pichu or Doctor Mario because Daisy is at least a character worth adding even if she plays the same.

DGAMER

Smash Apprentice
OK. So I've watched plenty of Smash, and have plenty of thoughts. Here are some of them.

• Gameplay definitely looks faster than Smash 4, but it looks very similar. I believe it is a new game, not a port.
  • I'm glad all of the cut characters are back. I was decently surprised even by the return of Snake. (Though, they did change the Metal Gear Icon. Konami probably didn't want to associate with Hideo Kojima.)
  • As I figured, Zelda didn't get her BOTW design. Though I did think they would stick to the Twilight Princess design. All of the Zelda Reps are now representing different Zelda eras, just as I wanted.
  • Inklings look cool. While it isn't to the full potential one could have hoped for, I believe they are incredibly faithful. Love the paint sticking to fighters, and even the assist trophies.
  • How the hell did they get Ridley to Smash. I have a small suspicion that this character won't be well designed. I have hope though.
  • I like the idea of many returning stages, but I would prefer more new stages. BOTW stage looks ok, the Battlefield design is awesome, and Hopefully, the New Donk City stage works well. The only stage that really disappointed me was Moray Towers. It doesn't seem like a very good stage to fight on.
  • RIP TAKAMARU, MIDNA AND LYN. I knew Waluigi wasn't getting in, but Takamaru getting Assist Trophy again really stinks. Suddenly, Exitebiker and Ballon Fighter seem a lot more likely. With the death of Lyn, I'm confident we aren't getting any FE reps. (The new FE games didn't have a stand out character that could be in Smash. At least, not yet.) The new Assist Throphies are great though. (ARCADE BUNNY IS IN SMASH AS AN ASSIST)
  • With the little newcomers line and the echo fighters, my predictions for the roster have changed.
    • He got Ridley and Snake right, I think the Vergeben leak is correct. If so, Simon Belmont will be in Smash. (BUT THAT ISN'T THE IMPORTANT PART OF THE LEAK, MINECRAFT STAGE HERE WE COME!)
    • I still want to hold onto Decidueye, but now, I belive it's a tied race between him and Lycanroc with the return of Pokemon Trainer and reduced newcomer focus.
    • Echo Fighters are interesting. The fact that Dark Samus hasn't showed up, and the alt is also gone is suspicious. That being said, I find it a bit stupid to believe that Shadow will be an echo fighter simply because his assist hasn't shown up and Knuckles is an assist. No way they would put Shadow as the next Sonic newcomer. Octolings got a boost in chances.
    • RIP Rex and Pyra for Base. Either no Xenoblade Rep or Elma gets in.
    • I now am 100% confident that there will be no Mario newcomer outside of Daisy. Toads are still with Peach and Daisy in an upgraded role, and Waluigi is still an Assist. Paper Mario is the only real shot for a true newcomer.
    • Zelda newcomer is extremely unlikely.
    • I like the fact Ashley hasn't shown up yet.
    • Ridley proved no meme is impossible. K Rool will get in thanks to the ballot.
    • We still have no idea what the weird choice character is. I'm starting to think there might not be one.
    • In the end, Sakurai saying to not expect too many newcomers indicates around the 6-10 range for me. We might have already seen half of the newcomers.
  • After that tournament, Bayo will get absolutely wrecked in the patches.
  • December date makes sense. Nintendo should be Smart and delay the Online service until March of 2019.

Whababa

Smash Cadet
Gameplay definitely looks faster than Smash 4, but it looks very similar. I believe it is a new game, not a port.
Definitely new game with a new engine and all.
How the hell did they get Ridley to Smash. I have a small suspicion that this character won't be well designed. I have hope though.
What is that small suspicion? We have seen Ridley in action extensively and to me he is amazing.
He got Ridley and Snake right, I think the Vergeben leak is correct. If so, Simon Belmont will be in Smash. (BUT THAT ISN'T THE IMPORTANT PART OF THE LEAK, MINECRAFT STAGE HERE WE COME!)
This thread has talked ad nauseam about the leak so i wont state the reasons why I think its false, and as for minecraft I feel its more likely to be an assist trophy or the like.
I now am 100% confident that there will be no Mario newcomer outside of Daisy. Toads are still with Peach and Daisy in an upgraded role, and Waluigi is still an Assist. Paper Mario is the only real shot for a true newcomer.
Geno?
December date makes sense. Nintendo should be Smart and delay the Online service until March of 2019.
:(

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

-We're getting 12 newcomers, 8 unique, 4 echo (including Inkling, Ridley, and Daisy)
-It will contain some highly requested characters, and some characters Sakurai wanted to add in previous smash games
-The main unlocking method for characters will "feel like an adventure" (The return of Adventure Mode?)
I'm not saying it's a rule, but only people with reputations tend to be coy about reveals.

If you're an anon on 4chan you've nothing to lose, hence accurate 4chan leaks are candid and forthcoming, typically spilling all the details they know. No beating around the bush with vague teasing to mitigate contradictory reveals.

Something to chew on.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
While that's true it's not like they're spending much time on them, and unlike melee where clones existed to pad the roster, echo fighters are used to add popular and wanted characters with little to no effort, like I'd rather have daisy with no differences than I would a Pichu or Doctor Mario because Daisy is at least a character worth adding even if she plays the same.
Then just make them an alt, it worked for Alph. The Direct made it seem as if the term "Echo" was to distinguish clones, not alts. If they are using Echo Fighters to add more characters, they better go full force and add as many as possible because the satisfaction from these things is much less than a unique character and even a regular clone. I'm talking under 5-10 unique newcomers and dozens of Echoes if they are that low effort.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Then just make them an alt, it worked for Alph. The Direct made it seem as if the term "Echo" was to distinguish clones, not alts. If they are using Echo Fighters to add more characters, they better go full force and add as many as possible because the satisfaction from these things is much less than a unique character and even a regular clone. I'm talking under 5-10 unique newcomers and dozens of Echoes if they are that low effort.
alts aren't allowed different taunts, victory animations, final smashes etc. If they're a seperate character with a distinct personality they should be a clone (or echo I guess).

They're not gonna add that many because a) there aren't that many characters that work and b) they're still clones and many people don't want a roster bloated by dozens of characters that are the same, a few are fine by most people in a roster of 70+

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

A nothing leak that says nothing. This seems more like something Emily Rogers would say then anything. Even the "cryptic" imgur leaker gave us an actual list of characters.

Regardless of that, 12 newcomers does make sense. I'd expect slightly more Echoes though (I expect half Echoes and half unique).

If you look even closer, it's just a photoshopped little mac.
This is one of my favorite Smash Bros. jokes. Now that we don't have "Ridley is too big," I guess this is our next go to.

And I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Okay- to make it more simple to understand for you-
Echo characters have the same Weight/Speedfall main attribute than the characters they're copying. HOWEVER
They can have different Standing/Taunt/Victory/Run animation, voice clip AND they can have different Finals Smash
Their attack can have different attribute/Knockback angle/Spike etc.
Basically, Imagine the Clone from Melee + Lucina and Dark pit.

StormC

Smash Hero
I do hope there are more new stages than they’re letting on. 25 is a lot but ~15 would be great.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
On the other side of the spectrum...

We could have a bunch of Echo fighters potentially in the likes of Dixie, Shadow, Black Shadow, Dark Samus, etc.

But seriously, my dreams for Smash now are for Waluigi, King K. Rool, Bandana Dee, and Chrom to be newcomers..

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
25 strikes me as kind of an unreasonable number as far as new stages, especially considering we've barely been able to hit that number with more conventional titles in the past. 10-15-ish would have been a more realistic number to make up for a fake leak.
What really sells me on it being fake, though, is the fact that OP claims to know all the characters that'll be in the final roster... and proceeds to not name one of them. Fake city, boyos. Bring on the next amateurishly fabricated 4chan text leak.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Okay- to make it more simple to understand for you-
Echo characters have the same Weight/Speedfall main attribute than the characters they're copying. HOWEVER
They can have different Standing/Taunt/Victory/Run animation, voice clip AND they can have different Finals Smash
Their attack can have different attribute/Knockback angle/Spike etc.
Basically, Imagine the Clone from Melee + Lucina and Dark pit.
As long as they don't take the place of the 3-6 clones we've had per game in the past. If there's only a few Echoes (with the suspected few unique newcomers) but no gameplay differences, I'd be frustrated, but I'm all for adding dozens of them without gameplay differences. I guess the Direct was a bit confusing as it seemed to be a rebranding of Clones, while in reality, it is a new type of alt.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
As long as they don't take the place of the 3-6 clones we've had per game in the past. If there's only a few Echoes (with the suspected few unique newcomers) but no gameplay differences, I'd be frustrated, but I'm all for adding dozens of them without gameplay differences. I guess the Direct was a bit confusing as it seemed to be a rebranding of Clones, while in reality, it is a new type of alt.
But...IT IS a rebranding of clones dude-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom