• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
As for unlocking characters, I would like to see something like what someone mentioned a few pages back - a pseudo-Event Mode where you play through certain challenges to unlock each character, starting with the OG four unlockables from 64 and branching out from there. It'd be a faster and more engaging way of unlocking fighters, and if a majority of the cast is going to be unlockable like Sakurai implies, it could call for a simplistic map system like Wii U's Event Mode had. Maybe it could even be a streamlined way of unlocking stages and such as well. It wouldn't exactly be the most replayable mode in the world, but then again, Smash 4's singleplayer proved to us that a Smash game can survive on as little as zero replayable modes, so it wouldn't be a huge loss at this point. I dunno, I think it'd be cool.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Does anyone else want a new Wario character? Mona is my pick.
I've always thought Jimmy T. could be super fun and hilarious. But at the same time, while not technically a Wario character, I still feel that it would be weird having anyone from the WarioWare/Land cast added by Wario's side before Waluigi.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
About that statement about the Original 12 (or 8) being the starters, that statement has been misinterpreted. Sakurai said that there would be a small amount of starters like the original game, not that the cast of the original game are the starters.

dudeitzmeh

Smash Rookie
I'm not really big on the Sonic games, but wasn't the way Shadow runs different from Sonic as well? I remember him with those laser skate things so he looked different while moving. To me this would be a big deal for an Echo character, since all the other 3 shown have a near identical model/animations to their original with a few mechanical changes / different specials. To me the biggest front runners for possible echo characters are Dark Samus, Impa and Isabelle for Samus/Sheik/Villager.

D

Deleted member

Regarding Shadow: Sonic Battle on its own kind of proves that making him an echo fighter of Sonic would be pretty out of character.

For me personally, it's either making Shadow a unique character or no Shadow.
I say this as a Shadow fan who would much rather have Shadow be at most a Luigi-styled semi-clone, but considering Sonic doesn't really fight like he does in Battle either makes Sonic Battle a weaker point.

In many titles where both are playable, they are similar.
In games that try to emphasize differences in playable characters, they diverge more. But in games where Shadow is meant to be a direct counterpart to Sonic, they play almost identical.

Sad as it may be, being an Echo makes logical sense for Shadow just as equally as having completely original moves...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
About that statement about the Original 12 (or 8) being the starters, that statement has been misinterpreted. Sakurai said that there would be a small amount of starters like the original game, not that the cast of the original game are the starters.
It seemed to have implied that that would be the case due to the presentation. They even arranged it to recreate the original CSS.

Unless Nintendo (not Sakurai) was just ****ing with us

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It seemed to have implied that that would be the case due to the presentation. They even arranged it to recreate the original CSS.

Unless Nintendo (not Sakurai) was just ****ing with us
That was probably just for the anniversary.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah I think when it comes to a 2nd Sonic rep. It now comes down to either an echo Shadow or DLC Tails. I'm not confident in Sonic getting 3 characters.

Though they could also just keep Sonic alone. I'd be fine with any of these possibilities. If Tails makes it, that's my most wanted and I'll be super stoked. If Shadow's an echo, I admit I'll be quite disheartened with it likely meaning no Tails but at least it'd be a fairly ideal echo choice simply because of how popular Shadow is in the Sonic fanbase. If Sonic's alone again that's fine too. I admit Tails getting in Smash would really only be a really, really, big cherry on top for myself.
My point is, what Shadow fan wants him in Smash playing exactly the same way as Sonic? Would anyone be happy about that? Genuine question if anyone happens to be a Shadow fan in here.

Like yeah as far as echos go it makes sense but people are expecting way too many echos to begin with. Just because its a concept doesn't mean Sakurai suddenly thinks its a brilliant idea to force a bunch into the roster. We'll get two more echos MAXIMUM. Just because he changed the official term doesn't mean fans will receive them any more kindly when they start blowing up the roster. That much more so when they are a character meant to not be the character they are "echoing." It's like arguing Dixie should be a basic echo of Diddy, just because.

EDIT: I'm really not meaning to rant so much....

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Something I don't often seen brought up, but I feel like I'm in the vast minority when I say I'm hoping for some sort of option to instantly unlock all the characters instead of starting from the original eight and unlocking everyone from there.

I honestly just don't see the appeal in unlocking characters anymore, especially since we're most likely going to have up to 70 characters in the base game. Sure Sakurai said the unlock requirements were "streamlined", but I'd much rather have everyone there from the start without having to grind out matches just to play the character that I want; or at the very least, have most of them unlocked and have some of the cast still locked if Sakurai really wanted to keep a bunch of newcomers a secret like the previous games...
As someone who finds the 60+ character unlocking one of the most exciting aspects of the game... I agree. For me, the progression of unlocking the characters is a huge part of the experience, and a big reason why Smash 4 was underwhelming for me. However, it’s ridiculous to expect every person to spend the time to unlock 80% of the game if they don’t wish, and I would hope this game would include an all unlock code.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I hope there's some kind of mode that makes unlocking characters easier, kinda like subspace but obviously not a proper storymode, although if they wanna bring the story mode back I would not be mad at all.
Didn't Sakurai say there would be a mode to streamline it? Or did he not specifically say mode :/

I am hoping there's a psuedo adventure mode or maybe event mode made specifically for unlocking characters.

Interesting question! There will probably be a way to unlock characters by number of battles fought, and since there's so many I'm thinking there might be a character unlocked after your first match. Who do you think this would be?

It could be one of the original 12 such as Luigi or Jiggly Puff, but maybe someone like Pit or Marth?

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Some people are discrediting the Minecraft claim from Verg because that should've been an E3 reveal but isn't there a physical copy of Minecraft being released later this summer that Nintendo is making a big deal out of? It would make sense to wait to reveal Minecraft content until that releases imo.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Didn't Sakurai say there would be a mode to streamline it? Or did he not specifically say mode :/

I am hoping there's a psuedo adventure mode or maybe event mode made specifically for unlocking characters.

Interesting question! There will probably be a way to unlock characters by number of battles fought, and since there's so many I'm thinking there might be a character unlocked after your first match. Who do you think this would be?

It could be one of the original 12 such as Luigi or Jiggly Puff, but maybe someone like Pit or Marth?
He said the requirements for unlocking were streamlined, nothing about modes.

dudeitzmeh

Smash Rookie
Not a Shadow fan, but I think the draw of Echo characters is being able to have the character in the game at all, even if they're not realizing their full potential. I am a FE fan and I'm happy to be able to play as Lucina. Though personally, the differences between the echo characters and the originals are so minimal I would've been equally happy if they were available as alt skins like the Koopalings or Alph.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Literally the match-up I got most excited for after everything was said and done was Ridley vs. Pichu. Also ready for the Princess Battle of the century: Peach vs. Daisy vs. Rosalina vs. Zelda.

EDIT: Forgot to insert the quote, oops. Ah, well.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Some people are discrediting the Minecraft claim from Verg because that should've been an E3 reveal but isn't there a physical copy of Minecraft being released later this summer that Nintendo is making a big deal out of? It would make sense to wait to reveal Minecraft content until that releases imo.
He says that the Minecraft content is most likely a stage.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If Sonic were to get an Echo Fighter, I would prefer Metal Sonic. Shadow could definitely work, but I lost interest in the character after any game after Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. Not saying Shadow can't work or anything, but I'd personally prefer to see some form of Metal Sonic.

My first Sonic game was Sonic 2 on the Sega Game Gear. And I thought Silver Sonic was bad a**. Fast forward to Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, and I insta-locked Metal Sonic when playing against my brothers.

I'd be fine with a Metal Sonic costume as well.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He says that the Minecraft content is most likely a stage.
A guest stage of that calibur would've been revealed in the stage segment just like Bomberman was revealed as a guest assist trophy.

I'm calling it now, even if he's right about other things. He's wrong about the Minecraft content.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Top keks.

Not like you know it was just last game or anything.

But eh, what you gonna do?

You know nothing and you never gonna know nothing.
...Taunt to get bodied incoming?

Eh, we got time until the game's release, still sitting 50/50 on his leaks though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It could be possible that Verg is incorrect about his predictions. He doesn't have the very best track record involving leaks and most of what he gets correct was already stated by other people.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
>When you get in to an argument with a person known for the The Ninka/Vaanrose Leak which was completely true.
I think you just opened a big can of worms lol. Also, I'm pretty sure that was falsely attributed to Vaanrose, or at least his involvement was VERY minimal.

Edit: My memory is bad. lol. Just re-read it and I remembered wrong. Never mind.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A guest stage of that calibur would've been revealed in the stage segment just like Bomberman was revealed as a guest assist trophy.

I'm calling it now, even if he's right about other things. He's wrong about the Minecraft content.
Or maybe he just didn't want a blowout that quickly?

There's still plenty of time to reveal all this stuff. Methinks Sakurai thought he was good with the content he had to show at E3 which is why Simon's reveal was saved for later.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
>On Chrom as an Ike Echo

Echoes are supposed to share the same basic stats and attack animations as the character they are echoing.
Sakurai has already stated that Chrom as a playable fighter would have been a middle ground between Marth and Ike in terms of speed and strength.
To be an Echo, Chrom would have to be just as slow, just as strong, and just as heavy as Ike.
This goes completely against the idea Sakurai had before.
Doesn’t that help Chrom though? Just have Ike’s moveset and skeleton model, then just give it stats closer to Marth. At that point it’s only marginal balancing.
Okay, forgive me if this sounds dumb, but would Chrom work as a Roy Echo minus the fire effects? Roy's sort of a middle ground between Ike and Marth I guess?
I’d see it as Roy being a Marth moveset/model hitting harder while Chrom would be an Ike moveset/model hitting faster.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I just checked and the physical copy of Minecraft on the Switch comes out on June 21st which is less than a week. I would make sense to reveal a Minecraft stage on the website the day it releases. That could also co-inside with the opening of the stage section on the website.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They could just alter how the mode works, like a Smash Run 2. They did build the game from the ground up anyway.

I seriously don't think customs are returning (except maybe Miis) due to Palutena's changes.
We'll have to pay close attention to any new screenshots during the next set of months then. We'll know for certain if customs are back if we see the Custom Part item (shown on the image below). Even seeing an object that has the wrench icon present could be more than enough evidence to suggest that customs are returning.

And of course, there's the matter of the amiibo fighters, as it would feel rather strange to not have the option to customize them.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that customs are gone, all because of the changes to Palutena's specials. It's always possible that Palutena's specials could receive variants that sacrifice damage for speed, or the other way around.

D

Deleted member

Doesn’t that help Chrom though? Just have Ike’s moveset and skeleton model, then just give it stats closer to Marth. At that point it’s only marginal balancing.
I said:
Echoes are supposed to share the same basic stats and attack animations as the character they are echoing.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Top keks.

Not like you know it was just last game or anything.

But eh, what you gonna do?

You know nothing and you never gonna know nothing.
I'm not implying I know anything other than how the information gets out.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My point is, what Shadow fan wants him in Smash playing exactly the same way as Sonic? Would anyone be happy about that? Genuine question if anyone happens to be a Shadow fan in here.

Like yeah as far as echos go it makes sense but people are expecting way too many echos to begin with. Just because its a concept doesn't mean Sakurai suddenly thinks its a brilliant idea to force a bunch into the roster. We'll get two more echos MAXIMUM. Just because he changed the official term doesn't mean fans will receive them any more kindly when they start blowing up the roster. That much more so when they are a character meant to not be the character they are "echoing." It's like arguing Dixie should be a basic echo of Diddy, just because.

I'm a shadow fan (I mean I was, not really into sonic nowadays though cause yikes but I still love shadow) and I'd like to have him in even if he's a clone. It's not like him being a clone would directly go against his character like say Dixie and the chance that he'd make it in as a unique character is like 1%. And we'd still have shadow's personality properly represented

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It was a joke, fam. I thought that would be read into.

I agree with you on this.

Vergeben is full of ****.
I'd just rather people not look too deeply into things I say. I had enough of that last go round. I saw an opportunity for a ****post and I took it.

SonicMario

Smash Master

I do have to admit. That while I don't necessarily hate Shadow. I at least liked him in his debut Sonic Adventure 2 (SA2 is in fact still my personal favorite game of the series) and to a lesser extent Sonic Battle and Sonic Heroes. But for everywhere else I find him a bit overrated or they vastly exaggerated his traits from Adventure 2. I would of preferred they had it so the Shadow that seemed to "return" in Heroes was not the original Shadow from SA2 but a clone created by Eggman like the ending of Team Dark's story implied. But then the Shadow the Hedgehog game retcons that (Albeit with a line from Eggman that only shows up if you take a long time beating the final boss)

In terms of being a unique or at the very least luigi-fied off Sonic character in Smash, despite being a significantly popular character it's hard to see him coming before Tails or even Dr. Eggman who have been around far longer and more synonymous with the franchise. But the Echo Fighters provide an opportunity for him. It scares me as someone who wants Tails alot more, but it's a possibility.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
We'll have to pay close attention to any new screenshots during the next set of months then. We'll know for certain if customs are back if we see the Custom Part item (shown on the image below). Even seeing an object that has the wrench icon present could be more than enough evidence to suggest that customs are returning.

And of course, there's the matter of the amiibo fighters, as it would feel rather strange to not have the option to customize them.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that customs are gone, all because of the changes to Palutena's specials. It's always possible that Palutena's specials could receive variants that sacrifice damage for speed, or the other way around.
Actually you made me realize something. Most people point to amiibo figures being able to transfer meaning that customs have to stay, but they aren't going to be able to transfer perfectly anyway due to character changes, specifically Charizard and Palutena. So they already can't transfer 1:1 so that's not a point towards customs coming back. Yeah not convinced yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom