• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
.... You mean General Scales?
Nah his visage is perfectly balanced as all things should be

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but didn't they do 3 reveals or are you not counting Daisy?

I agree that 14 unique newcomers seems like a stretch. But 14 combined between uniques and echoes doesn't seem too far-fetched, especially with an 8:6 ratio.
I'm not counting Inkling. We already knew Inkling was playable, even if no gameplay was shown.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Can we just appreciate all the villains we have in the roster now?

True Villains:
:4bowser::4ganondorf::wolf::4bowserjr:(:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:)Ridley

Have Been Antagonists But Aren't True Villains
:4metaknight::4dedede::4wario2::4mewtwo::4darkpit:

We got a pretty good amount here.
Totally gonna have as many of these guys as possible fight each other in 8 Player Smash ASAP.

All we're really missing is K. Rool.

Granted, I'd like some old stages back(Fountain of Dreams and Poke Floats because I'm a terrible person), so at this point, new stage reveals have me more interested.
You and me both.on those two stages. I've been wanting Fountain of Dreams to come back as much as I wanted Great Bay to come back. I have the latter now, at least.

And Poke Floats was just gloriously chaotic so that stage really should return too.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I swear if we get three FE characters who got in before their actual release before Lyn, The first international Lord of the franchise I'd be pissed.

That said, Edelgard's design isn't bad, but neither are most Lords'. It's their personality which really cements if someone likes a Lord or not.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
What do you think the chances of 1 newcomer reveal per month? If they do that up until November that would make 7 unique newcomers (not counting potential secret unlockable newcomers).

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I think vaanrose is right in that we're going to get a lot of clones, but I'm personally feeling 3 more newcomers and 4 more clones with the possibility of 2 newcomers and 5 clones.
If I had to wager...
3 newcomers:
K Rool, Simon (if vergeben is true. If not, replace with Geno or Rayman), and Chorus men.
Likely clone candidates include Dixie, Impa, Dark Samus, Chrom, etc.
(I would LOVE a dry bowser with melee/brawl bowser moveset, but I don't expect it)

Just gonna say real quick that I don't think I've ever been happier to be so utterly wrong about something.

On that note, not really sure who else to anticipate of the likely few remaining newcomers. Well, with at least one exception....and I'll get to that right now:

How many of you here expect a Pokemon newcomer at this point? I peresonally always thought it was all but guaranteed. Even now, I still have a good amount of faith that we'll see one on the base roster.
I'm not expecting it anymore after I sat down and thought about the remaining newcomers as well as returning pichu/pokemon trainer.
We've got Decidueye, who is probably way less likely with the return of ivysaur and 5 other archers (2 pits and 3 links, not even counting final smashes).
We've got Mimikyu, but we already have pichu who looks similar to pikachu, so would having a 3rd pikachu lookalike be really appealing?
And there's lycanroc, who competes with duck hunt dog, wolf, and lucario in the dog-like characters.

Last edited:

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I kinda want Pyrosphere back. It wasn't that great of a stage normally, but for 8 Player Battles, it was definitely one of the best. The platform layout is kinda like a wider Warioware.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
What do you think the chances of 1 newcomer reveal per month? If they do that up until November that would make 7 unique newcomers (not counting potential secret unlockable newcomers).
Is there something I missed, why are people thinking there's going to be a character a month?

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Doubt it unless they are echo reveals.
I honestly think we'll get 2 more non-echo newcomers in nintendo directs before the game comes out in early december. One in an August/september Direct, one in an october/november direct.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I kinda want Pyrosphere back. It wasn't that great of a stage normally, but for 8 Player Battles, it was definitely one of the best. The platform layout is kinda like a wider Warioware.
Bring it back just to have Ridley fight bigger Ridley.

Plus if you didn't like all the hazards, we have the option to turn them off now.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I never said I think they will lol.
I only bring it up because I've seen it brought up various times now. Was curious if there was something behind it or if it was just the HYPE

Well, there really aren't that many months til the game's release. What, 6?
Couldn't that also be an indicator that there aren't as many on launch newcomers as most expect? Personally I think Simon is probably in cause of the leak, then one other, maybe K. Rool as Sakurai seems to be going full fan service on this one and he is very aware of the K. Rool fanbase.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I think vaanrose is right in that we're going to get a lot of clones, but I'm personally feeling 3 more newcomers and 4 more clones with the possibility of 2 newcomers and 5 clones.
If I had to wager...
3 newcomers:
K Rool, Simon (if vergeben is true. If not, replace with Geno or Rayman), and Chorus men.
Likely clone candidates include Dixie, Impa, Dark Samus, Chrom, etc.
(I would LOVE a dry bowser with melee/brawl bowser moveset, but I don't expect it)

I'm not expecting it anymore after I sat down and thought about the remaining newcomers as well as returning pichu/pokemon trainer.
We've got Decidueye, who is probably way less likely with the return of ivysaur and 5 other archers (2 pits and 3 links, not even counting final smashes).
We've got Mimikyu, but we already have pichu who looks similar to pikachu, so would having a 3rd pikachu lookalike be really appealing?
And there's lycanroc, who competes with duck hunt dog, wolf, and lucario in the dog-like characters.

As much as I'd like Simon, if I had to put money on a third party newcomer, it'd be Rayman. Ubisoft and Nintendo are on better terms now than they were four years ago but we still got a Rayman trophy then.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If I had to guess...

We get seven or eight true newcomers. An all time low for the franchise.

We'll get three to five echo newcomers.

Potentially, this could give us the smallest growth for the franchise so it fits with the statement.

I don't think one reveal every month will happen but I think that we will get at least three more unique newcomers revealed before launch.

I am confident we will have a secret newcomer or two. Sakurai loves those and when you're going to unlock the far majority of the roster, I feel having newcomers at the end would be a nice finale of sorts.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I don't know about the 3rd parties I'd think they would get revealed at E3 as usual because they were supposed to be some of the biggest deals we got. I think we won't see any other at least in the base game unless they are Echoes.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Do any of you think we're not getting all the past stages?

I feel like we won't see Golden Plains or Pac-Maze as they had gimmick effects that relied on multiple screens (coin counters and power pellets), unless they add more elements to the hud which doesn't seem likely to me as there's already a lot going on down there.

Just please give me Fountain of Dreams!

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't know about the 3rd parties I'd think they would get revealed at E3 as usual because they were supposed to be some of the biggest deals we got. I think we won't see any other at least in the base game unless they are Echoes.
With so few newcomers I could definitely see them focusing on nintendo characters instead of 3rd parties, especially since we have a lot already. But man do I want rayman, hopefully DLC 3rd parties are a thing again.

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
As much as I'd like Simon, if I had to put money on a third party newcomer, it'd be Rayman. Ubisoft and Nintendo are on better terms now than they were four years ago but we still got a Rayman trophy then.
Rayman, artistically, fits right in with the colorful Nintendo cast. I think he’s easily in the top 3 most likely third parties, and we’ll probably see him as DLC if he’s not in the base game.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I feel like we won't see Golden Plains or Pac-Maze as they had gimmick effects that relied on multiple screens (coin counters and power pellets), unless they add more elements to the hud which doesn't seem likely to me as there's already a lot going on down there.

If we don't get Poke Floats, then what would even be the point of this game existing?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I
If I had to guess...

Potentially, this could give us the smallest growth for the franchise so it fits with the statement.

I don't think one reveal every month will happen but I think that we will get at least three more unique newcomers revealed before launch.

I am confident we will have a secret newcomer or two. Sakurai loves those and when you're going to unlock the far majority of the roster, I feel having newcomers at the end would be a nice finale of sorts.
I actually really like the idea of just playing regularly and unlocking all the veterans when I suddenly come across a character I've never even seen in Smash before that wasn't previously revealed.

I hope there's at least 1 secret newcomer. Thatd be nice.

D

Deleted member

tired of all these ignorant-*** statements about decidueye fans. people want decidueye in smash because it has a cool design, a cool typing and a lot of moveset potential. generalizing decidueye fans as only wanting him because he's a grass starter is incredibly disingenous, inaccurate and just plain wrong. i mean would you like incineroar and mimikyu fans to be called popularity bandwagoners?

First, point to me where I said Decidueye fans only wanted Decidueye for being a Grass Starter.

Second....
Are you honestly going to try to tell me, as someone who has been here to WITNESS IT HAPPEN, that Decidueye didn't start getting traction long before its design was even leaked and was only known in theory as "Rowlet 3rd Stage" when Sun/Moon were announced for the SAME EXACT reason Sceptile did?

And are you honestly going to try to tell me that Decidueye would still have been this hyped up deal for Smash if we had the full Pokémon Trainer set in Smash 4, or Greninja was a Grass type instead of a Water type?

If "yes" to either, you are completely delusional.
I'm not saying there wouldn't be people who would've still liked the concept enough to want it in Smash, but it DEFINITELY wouldn't have been as big of a name in the Smash community as it had been. Not even close.

If you can't grasp that that was the point I was making and/or refuse to accept that fact, that's on you.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Thing about Rayman are his hitboxes are gonna be janky as all hell.

It's going to be weird trying to find out what is and isn't a Rayman hitbox.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
If I had to guess...

Let's assume this is the case. My personal picks for this would be...

Newcomers
  1. Inkling
  2. Ridley
  3. Simon Belmont
  4. K.Rool
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Rayman
  7. Captain Toad
  8. Ninten

Echo newcomers

1. Ken/Akuma
  2. Jeanne
  3. Octolings
  4. Chrom
  5. Black Shadow

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Thing about Rayman are his hitboxes are gonna be janky as all hell.

It's going to be weird trying to find out what is and isn't a Rayman hitbox.
I can’t wait for some characters matchup against rayman to be really bad just because a tilt/jab/special doesn’t connect with his body lol
IF he gets in

Last edited:

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
What did she do that was so special or notable that is enough to give her spot in smash of all things? I don't think the support Waluigi got from the 3rd party spin-off devs makes him a potential candidate for smash bros, but it was way more than anything Daisy has done. If there's any Mario character who deserves it more tho, it's definitely Toad. He's one of the most iconic npcs in video game history and he should be in before we even think of any other Mario character.

Anyway, should they still keep Daisy? Honestly, no. Why does Peach need a partner anymore? Why does Luigi still need a gf? They haven't done anything with this type of Mario spin-off formula as they don't even bother with partner characters or shippings anymore. So now, she's lost her purpose. You could develop her so that she actually matters in the games she appears in, but why focus on her when there's a bunch of other Mario characters, Nintendo characters, and a bunch of other things to focus on? It feels like they've been dragging her on now, and I think it's time to just drop her and let someone like Pauline replace her. And guys, while Nintendo will recieve some backlash, it won't do anything. MK7 was attacked just because Waluigi wasn't in it, and it was still the best selling non-Pokemon game for the 3DS. Now imagine that happening with a character that way less people care about and she got replaced with Pauline, a character that everyone loved in Odyssey and wants in more games. It won't do anything.
Honestly, many characters lost their purpose.

...so much derailment and Flanderization...

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

You could just display all the characters coin counters. I doubt knowing how many coins your opponent has will be that big a deal.

As for Pac-Maze, the best thing I can think of is to have the ghosts only turn blue when near a character who's eaten a power pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom