• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
"many" is entirely subjective though, Brawl had 18 characters and smash 4 had 15, this game could go anywhere from 5 newcomers to 12, who actually knows
seems like a lot of people took sakurais "not too many newcomers" as "no other newcomers" totally subjective statement but I think what hes saying is dont expect 15-20 somewhere around 10 i think is completely likely and reasonable, we have 3 already.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Something I noticed:

Looking at the box art for the Smash Ultimate, obviously there were literally no newcomers in the box art except for Inklings.

Also, why isn’t Bayonetta, Ryu, FRICKEN CLOUD not on the box art, they were literally the top dogs during their first reveal at Smash 4. IMO, there should’ve been more characters on the box art. Why no Snake too? Or Sonic? Wait there aren’t any third parties on the box art, wtf?

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
What if this is like Mortal Kombat Trilogy where the game has all the characters and stages from all the past games?

The next Smash could be a reboot.
I personally think that a reboot would be the best way to go. While painful for fans of current characters, there are some that are being immortalized by the "no cuts" policy that are blocking out other characters. (Pokemon, FE, etc.) I personally wouldn't cut a single franchise rep like Captain Falcon of course. While a dead franchise, he's iconic to Smash. Just to cut the fat of the revolving door franchises (Pokemon, FE, kinda LOZ) and highly expansive franchises (Mario).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So, you know how Smash is supposed to make most character become even more beloved?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYe8HpzYebg&list=PLA1lIms2gwaB6ytzNm2IVd0JvnDXbLKTh&index=62

Check out Bayonetta's video. Everyone else has like 3-4 dislikes.

Bayo has 100+, almost reaching half of the likes. In addition, people hated seeing MKleo play her and people booed in a group reaction video at her when she was first revealed (only character to get that reception)

Sakurai needs to fix her ASAP. We saw during the invitation that she's still problematic.

Please?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Something I noticed:

Looking at the box art for the Smash Ultimate, obviously there were literally no newcomers in the box art except for Inklings.

Also, why isn’t Bayonetta, Ryu, FRICKEN CLOUD not on the box art, they were literally the top dogs during their first reveal at Smash 4. IMO, there should’ve been more characters on the box art.
Well no 3rd party seems to be on any of them...
So, you know how Smash is supposed to make most character become even more beloved?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYe8HpzYebg&list=PLA1lIms2gwaB6ytzNm2IVd0JvnDXbLKTh&index=62

Bayo has 100+, almost reaching half of the likes. In addition, people hated seeing MKleo play her and people booed in a group reaction video at her when she was first revealed (only character to get that reception)

Sakurai needs to fix her ASAP. We saw during the invitation that she's still problematic.

Please?
she needs nerfs like...everywhere but the booty

Roberk

Smash Champion
White haired chick has an axe, she'd be fun
They're actually pretty diverse surprisingly. Girl has axes and swords, Blonde has lances, and Darkish has bows. Also, I think the one with bluish-greenish hair in the trailer is an avatar, but they take on a "teacher" archetype. Seems pretty interesting for character design.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
seems like a lot of people took sakurais "not too many newcomers" as "no other newcomers" totally subjective statement but I think what hes saying is dont expect 15-20 somewhere around 10 i think is completely likely and reasonable, we have 3 already.
Yeah I think 10 is a reasonable number, less than previous games but still enough new stuff to get excited about, I'm gonna be seriously disappointed if we only get like 5 newcomers like some people are suggesting

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Please?

here are some words to prevent a warning

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I absolutely love all the new small changes made to the characters. Toad being utilized in Peach's throws and willingly protecting Peach for her neutral special, Mr. Game and Watch changing appearance with each attack, Ganondorf using his sword for his Smash attacks, Donkey Kong picking up characters over his shoulder, Ryu always facing the opponent in 1v1s, Ness and Lucas having their partners come in to assist with their final Smash's, the Zelda characters having designs from different games, and all the other small tweaks made to moves and animations. On top of that and all the past stages from 3DS and back being completely remade to look as nice as possible it really helps make for a more fresh experience.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm still trying to get over the fact that I can play as Ivysaur again.

That was... that was a top tier level dream.

And no stamina?

It's like Smash heaven!
I love that I can play as Ivysaur and Squirtle again. I was a little irked that many people were clamoring only for Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake while ignoring Ivysaur and Squirtle... and especially the detractors who complain about how there are too many 1st gen Pokémon so cutting them and keeping Charizard and adding no more 1st gen Pokémon like :052: was for the best. :rolleyes:

Honestly, it doesn't matter what generation a Pokémon comes from. It shouldn't matter and the 1st gen Pokémon are iconic anyway.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well no 3rd party seems to be on any of them...
I stated that in my post.

White haired chick has an axe, she'd be fun
Forget the White Haired Girl give me the black guy.

In all sense I would rather have the character with the most unique weapon. The two dudes seem to have swords which we have a lot of, so an axe user will be a breath of fresh air and have attacks that can be unique to her.

Plus it doesn’t hurt to have another female character.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Yeah I think 10 is a reasonable number, less than previous games but still enough new stuff to get excited about, I'm gonna be seriously disappointed if we only get like 5 newcomers like some people are suggesting
Yeah, and the many reworks and impossible dreams already make up for some newcomers, so 10 looks pretty nice for me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something I noticed:

Also, why isn’t Bayonetta, Ryu, FRICKEN CLOUD not on the box art, they were literally the top dogs during their first reveal at Smash 4. IMO, there should’ve been more characters on the box art. Why no Snake too? Or Sonic? Wait there aren’t any third parties on the box art, wtf?
Either Placeholder boxart till everyone is confirmed or licensing was costly enough. Any depictions of a character you don't own still cost money.

Most likely the former.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace

Please?
That's actually pretty funny.
The only characters that come close are Ridley and Daisy, who both have 23 dislikes. I know YouTube likes and dislikes aren't the best thing to go off of, but it's funny nonetheless.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813

here are some words to prevent a warning
I do trust Sakurai to balance her, yes. But then again, if he didn't change her after all the complaints in smash 4 currently,that's also concerning. But...MKleo probably helped Sakurai really focus on it now. That and the dislikes,enough warning bells...

I'm kind of mad that Luigi and Yoshi were presented to explicitly kill hype for those two characters specifically. That wasn't fair...

*sigh* Maybe more Treehouse live events will cheer me up.
Would have made sense if it was just Luigi cause well, "Luigi is unpopular" gag. But Yoshi being there made no sense.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Bayonetta is hated for the same reason Meta Knight WAS hated. If Sakurai and the dev team balance her before the retail release or in patches then she'll undoubtedly not be hated like she currently is.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I do trust Sakurai to balance her, yes. But then again, if he didn't change her after all the complaints in smash 4 currently,that's also concerning. But...MKleo probably helped Sakurai really focus on it now. That and the dislikes,enough warning bells...

Would have made sense if it was just Luigi cause well, "Luigi is unpopular" gag. But Yoshi being there made no sense.
Even for Luigi it wasn't cool to do that to him. It didn't make either character "endearing" or "funny" it only killed hype

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Why haven't I seen anyone mention if rage is in or not.

Also I sincerely hope Lucario kept aura.
From what I've seen watching MKleo vs Zero gf, I don't think it is. Uneducated assumption though

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice

The invitational commentators said it was back, pointing out the steamy-red effect on the character's battle portrait.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Okay so I just watched the tournament... maybe if I play it I'll change my mind, but this looks very different from Sm4sh. Yes, I see similarities, it's more similar than to Brawl or Melee, but the knockback is so different and the combos work different, the effects look different. It does not look like the same game. Which is great!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

A valuable information dump.
Lets see...
-Samus' Dark Samus costume is gone.
-Pikachu got a Libre alt.
-Zelda seems to have a costume referencing her original AlttP and TP forms.
-The PTs have costumes referencing the different other regional trainers (offhand, I see Gold, Emerald!May, Lucas, and Dawn).
-Ganondorf has a costume referencing his AlttP Ganon form.

I'm surprised they got Libre into the game as Pokémon tends to be more stingy with its alts, but it has been getting some mileage lately thanks to Pokken so that may be how it snuck its way in. The others are pretty nice, though there are a couple omissions here and there.

A couple Smash players like Void have been looking into it, but they have nothing conclusive due to the environment around playing the game.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

When you see the new FE lords as new possibilities for DLC.

She doesn't use a sword, so that's nice. Though I can't help but think they had her use an axe, so that Sakurai would be more interested in including her in Smash lol.

Last edited:

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Even for Luigi it wasn't cool to do that to him. It didn't make either character "endearing" or "funny" it only killed hype
If it helps, his video on the fighters playlist appears to be in the higher echleon compared to others (44k views)

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I stated that in my post.

Forget the White Haired Girl give me the black guy.

In all sense I would rather have the character with the most unique weapon. The two dudes seem to have swords which we have a lot of, so an axe user will be a breath of fresh air and have attacks that can be unique to her.

Plus it doesn’t hurt to have another female character.
tbh I didn't even realize he was supposed to be black, he's hella light with all white features lmao

Last edited:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
I'm kind of mad that Luigi and Yoshi were presented to explicitly kill hype for those two characters specifically. That wasn't fair...

*sigh* Maybe more Treehouse live events will cheer me up.
It was a goofy joke made lovingly at their expense. As a fan of Luigi, I thought it was great, partly because the narrative of the joke is that they're an afterthought at the same time as giving them a special place apart from everyone else.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The costumes shown in the demo video from earlier aren't all of 'em. Meta Ridley is a costume too as noted on the site and in his original trailer, but it's not available in the demo. Likely had too many polygons and is buggy.

...I want Mewtwo's armor alt now.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
This will probably be my only post regarding the new stuff, so I'll make it count before returning to the Sm4sh Competitive Impressions thread (unless something else unprecedented occurs).
Many of my favorite characters in past games, whom also happened to greatly mesh with my playstyle, were either filtered out or killed beyond recognition. These are Jigglypuff, Young Link, and Wolf. In Smash 4 I play Ryu, who isn't my favorite character personally but fascinates me with his power and origins as the first fighting game character. The addition of Daisy, who I play in all Nintendo party games and love because she's such an annoyance to my friends, makes me feel great warmth inside my twisted heart (not to mention having a pocket Peach giving me a good starting point for her). So this pool of characters will be my starting point: Jigglypuff, Young Link, Wolf, Ryu and Daisy. I will expand my search if I don't like their "feel" or feel I'm holding myself back with these picks.

Hera out.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Also, watching Nairo's stream. He's talking about Bayo nerfs right now:

-Bayo's Heel Slide (grounded side B) does not go into the second hit if you shield the slide
-Witch Time has reduced invincibility frames, shorter effective duration
-Can't hold bullet arts forever
-Ladder combos were nerfed in some undefined way

Not than I'm surprised, but watching MKLeo, a pro player who plays Bayo, go up against a Melee player playing Ridley on Green Greens was a terrible example of Bayo's current state. Apparently she's been nerfed considerably. Now people still want nerfs because of what happened to Ridley, and I think that's pretty understandable, but it seems she isn't as oppressive as we currently think.

Patriot Duck

Smash Apprentice
Apparently Rob's down throw buries people now. The infamous "beep boop" combo may be gone, but a burying throw could have tons of utility for damage and KO setups.

Hey, what if Lucas's down throw buries too? The animation makes it seem like a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
She doesn't use a sword, so that's nice. Though I can't help but think they had her use an axe, so that Sakurai would be more interested in including her in Smash lol.
She does seem to have swords as a secondary weapon but let's not focus on that.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It was a goofy joke made lovingly at their expense. As a fan of Luigi, I thought it was great, partly because the narrative of the joke is that they're an afterthought at the same time as giving them a special place apart from everyone else.
I understand that's what they were going with, but it was executed horribly. Now these two got a disproportionate low amount of excitement due to it.

Also, sure you could explain that about Luigi, but why drag Yoshi into it. He's not a clumsy goof

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That mad man finally did it and included that ugly space chicken. This really will be the Smash game to end them all. My goodness.

Loving all the returning stages -- Fourside, baby!. Just include more Final Fantasy tracks on Midgar, and I'm golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom