• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ho boy, I'm watching Yoshi's trailer and I can gleam things that are getting me stoked. I won't repeat them here as I've been listing them in appropriate threads, but I've been seeing some buffs.

I still want that tether recovery though

RedMarf78

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I was wrong earlier. Shadow wasn't confirmed as an AT. He'd be okay with me as an Echo Fighter or unique playable character. As long as the chaos moves are there, heh.

That said, I don't know if I should get a Switch or Xbox One right away. I own Xbox One games, so... yeah.
You bought Xbox One games before getting a console, how foolish (I'm joking, I brought Breath of the Wild like 3 months before I got my Switch)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I am definitely thinking seven more to make a fully squared roster.

Today's reveal took everything I thought I knew about the man and threw it out the window.
My guesses?

1. King K. Rool
2. Dixie Kong [ECHO FIGHTER]
3. Impa [ECHO FIGHTER]
4. Octoling [ECHO FIGHTER]
5. Spring Man
6. Simon Belmont
7. Rayman

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't really see anyone discussing this bombshell?

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/about/index.html

The website explicitly says "66 fighters". We have 65 fighters revealed with one being pseudo-confirmed by the Vergeben leak.
Are they suggesting will only have 3 newcomers this game or....?
"Pokemon Trainer counts as 1, number includes Echo characters"

So yeah 66 revealed so far.

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice

The website explicitly says "66 fighters". We have 65 fighters revealed with one being pseudo-confirmed by the Vergeben leak.
I've already talked about this, but basically that number is counting fighters differently, it isn't a reveal.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

It could just be an oversight right now, as it's doubtful that we'll get any more fighter confirmations this week.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

That's a misconception.

The "66 Fighters" is noted to count Echo Fighters individually from their original and the Trainer's Pokemons as a single character.

Meanwhile, the fighters page of that same website does the opposite, counting the Trainer's Pokemons as separate characters and the Echoes as an extension of their originals (hence the "E" besides their number).

This creates an inconsistency due to the fact that things aren't counted in the same way.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
i dunno, knuckles replaced him as the sonic assist for a reason.. clone category.. it all fits together.
We don't know if Knuckles replaced him or just added to the Sonic AT count. And even if Shadow is gone, that doesn't mean he's playable. Let's not spring to conclusions just yet...

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The thing is the detractors (myself include) wanted a new game. We wanted new stages, new features and new characters. This game is the exact opposite and is "hey all the characters are back."

Think about it this way. Smash is usually a once per system game. This means that we'll likely have to wait half a decade for the next title. So, if you wanted a lot of new stuff (as in things you didn't see before), you will be waiting about a decade for that in total (as Smash Wii U came out in 2014). You're basically just getting things you've seen before in a single package. And when it comes to displaying the worlds of Nintendo we will have to wait that long. A game that came out in 2015 may not get represented in Smash Bros until 2024 (based on a 6 year lifecycle). Usually Smash Bros games come with a ton of new things, including a whole array of new characters. Here, you're not getting that. In fact, looking at 4Chan, the discussion is dominated on "is this a port of not." Back when Brawl was going on, the site was dominated with discussion of the game in general. Pokemon Trainer took up the entire first page. Smash threads are also having a problem getting off the ground and get knocked down to the bottom pages. I expect traffic here will slow greatly.

Basically, people want new things. If I want old things, I'd just go play Brawl (which I might have to do at this rate)
I don't see what you're talking about here. I just went to /v/ and the first thread was one about Ridley in Smash. I also counted 20 other threads on /v/ right now themed around Smash. Skimming the first thread, I also found basically no confusion over whether or not the game is a port. The only post I saw relating to that topic was one anon who said the game was a port, then 7 others who replied saying "no it isn't".

I understand being upset about the low number of newcomers relative to other Smash games, I'm also concerned with the amount of content and how much longevity is going to be gotten out of a roster that's 85% vets. However, most of this game's reception has been by and large positive.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Just wondering out of curiosity: Why do some people think we will get 8-10 new characters in this game?
I personally think 8 (counting Ridley and Inkling, not counting Daisy and other Echoes) is reasonable because:
-They only added 6 full new characters so far in comparison to SSB4 (Ridley, Inkling, ICs, Snake, Squirtle and Ivysaur). All other additions (YLink, Pichu, Wolf) use assets from other fighters to varying degrees. Plus ICs have work done in them since SSB4 so I guess they could have ported over something from them
-While yes this game is banking on being the "definitive" Smash having everything the other ones had as priority, newcomers are still what gives the game the most exposure. I don't think they would make a game without much newcomers.

I'm no game developer though, so it's just wild speculation from my part

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Pokemon Trainer counts as 1, number includes Echo characters"

So yeah 66 revealed so far.
Yeah, in this case, they're referring to slots. Echo Fighters are their own slots, clearly.

That should help clear up what they mean now.

You bought Xbox One games before getting a console, how foolish (I'm joking, I brought Breath of the Wild like 3 months before I got my Switch)
No regrets. I mean, I bought Sonic 06 before my 360. Still no regrets. :)

i liike shadow more :((
Funny thing is Shadow has a more similar build to Sonic than Metal does. Metal has very different animations, and Shadow can do actually most of the same moves(heck, Sonic's Down Air, though I can't remember if it's in Ultimate, is actually Shadow Rocket from Sonic Battle), so his animations don't need too much changing at most. Knuckles even less so. Like, all Knuckles can't do is kick(outside of Sonic The Fighters, I think?)... and that wouldn't be a big deal.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I agree 5-7 including Belmont seems about right.

Namco's probably getting a guy, if not Soul Calibur then Lloyd

Pokemon: Seventh gen might get a rep but due to the state of things no, I am unsure.

Rool based on that costume feels just out of arms reach

Dixie feels real as well.

Elma or Rex with Pyra and or multiple blades seems possible

The rest could go in an array of directions

Rayman seems possible as do Rabbids ect.

I'm thinking after simon the most likely remaining possible newcomers are:

pokemon rep (tho pichu and trainer back might be enough honestly...)
namco rep (tekken/tales most likely)
a DK rep or 2 (k rool/dixie)
elma
rayman
geno/square rep (sora/slime)
chorus kids
waddle dee
banjo (if the minecraft part of the leak is real)
captain toad (toad is now MORE a part of peach but isnt "captain" toad, could be reusing the playable "captain toad"s model for peachs moves and thats why hes there more? or this is how they decided to "rep" him and hes deconfirmed, tough to say...)

there are a few more who could happen but i feel are less likely just because of the state of their series like isaac/chibi robo/ray/saki/lip etc... and im sure we'll see more assist trophies and deconfirm more characters as time goes on... i didnt see dillon or ashley but still assume they are assists honestly.

the toughest part is now "echo characters" cause you could echo medusa, chrom (if hes not part of a final smash),or funky kong but maybe theyd be better repped as their own characters and not "echo characters" if they ever made it as a playable fighter. Then theres some like Ken or Shadow who are tough to justify giving a 3rd party "spot" to but they do fit well as echo characters... impa, Isabelle, Louie also all seem like good choices and im sure theres more im not thinking of but again i think trying to predict who sakurai will pick to be an echo character and who isnt (alphs still an alt costume for instance) is really tough to say.

i still think an ARMS rep or Rex/Pyra are better suited for DLC just because of the "timing" of their games being so new.

then theres really tough to "guess" characters like indie reps (shovel knight or shantae), a weird retro rep like diskun or hanafuda cards, or some other 3rd party rep we arent really thinking of. i know people were discussing lara croft before and its just tough to predict for or against someone like that, doom guy/master chief/crash/spyro/arle nadja etc... popular to gaming but nothing like them has really happened in smash yet so you cant predict if they are on sakurais radar for the game what so ever.

its going to be a tough speculation season this time, but i also think we have a much narrower window to choose characters from.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Random tangent, but can we appriciate how Samus is so sick of Ridley's **** that even when he take her down, she leaps back and goes "I don't need this suit to take your undying ass down!"?

God I missed this Samus.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Will be brutally honest here, I am going to be extremely disappointed if this happens. Seriously disappointed that Sakurai would not explore aspects of New Leaf only to make her a clone of Villager. My girl Isabelle deserves better.
I think someone found her as an AT already

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
I don't see what you're talking about here. I just went to /v/ and the first thread was one about Ridley in Smash. I also counted 20 other threads on /v/ right now themed around Smash. Skimming the first thread, I also found basically no confusion over whether or not the game is a port. The only post I saw relating to that topic was one anon who said the game was a port, then 7 others who replied saying "no it isn't".

I understand being upset about the low number of newcomers relative to other Smash games, I'm also concerned with the amount of content and how much longevity is going to be gotten out of a roster that's 85% vets. However, most of this game's reception has been by and large positive.
There's also something to say about the game's other modes. A roster isn't a game's sole driving point, as long as the other modes are fresh (and good), the game won't become stale too fast.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

For curiosity's sake, what does the roster being vets have to do with the longevity of the game? Seems to me that the cut characters that returned are just as much characters as any new ones that would be added, plus we're going to have massive balance changes (assuming, of course) to characters that haven't appeared since Melee.

Forgive me if this is stupid but I'm not sure I see how a character being "new" or not affects how long people will stay interested in the game. Shiny new things become old quickly, I doubt the novelty of a new character has any real effect on the meta beyond "Oh dude the new DLC character came out let me see if they're any good!".

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
It might've been that the stage just isn't ready yet so they went with Omega Battlefield as a placeholder just to have a standard flat stage available for those that like to play on FD.
That might be true, but I think it’s weird that they would make 60+ characters and 20+ stages before adding the most iconic stage in the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's also something to say about the game's other modes. A roster isn't a game's sole driving point, as long as the other modes are fresh (and good), the game won't become stale too fast.
To be fair, it's the biggest selling point. But you're right, the modes and other features are vastly important too.

The characters are just the most important part of the series.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Was it just me or did I hear the announcer say that hazards were turned off in the invitational? The fact that Saffron City didn't feature any Pokemon appearances and Kongo Jungle from Melee didn't feature Klaptrap says that the idea bodes well to be true!

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'm pretty happy with the final contenders for the Gen 7 Pokemon slot (assuming their is one):
1. Decidueye (people like him/is in Pokken)
2. Rowlett (Most Popular Pokemon in japan)
3. Mimikyu (Number 3(?) on the Japan popularity list/huge fanbase/unique unexplored typing)
4. Incineroar (AT LEAST equal chance as Decidueye now. No more "muh starter type trio" argument holding one over the other/would be another unique heavy)
5. Zereaora(?) (Is popular (I think?)/ and is the newest Pokemon in the series/has a solid design for Smash)
6. Lycanroc (Has solid popularity on par with that of Mimikyu/would be a relatively unique quadruped fighter/has a unique unexplored typing)
If I didn't put one it's because I haven't actually seen all the confirmed poke ball mons (holy **** Mimikyu isn't one of them (inb4 someone shows me it is) bless Sakurai). I would put Buzzwole and Nihilego but I dunno if they were pokeball mons.

EDIT: I'd be happy with any of the 5, although I would be somewhat disappointing with Zereoara(?).

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Random tangent, but can we appriciate how Samus is so sick of Ridley's **** that even when he take her down, she leaps back and goes "I don't need this suit to take your undying *** down!"?

God I missed this Samus.
But...Samus basically dies if a Space Pirate LOOKS at her too hard without her suit. Ridley would like, fart upwind and she'd spontaneously combust.

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Has anyone seen Skull Kid anywhere? He basically did the same thing as Palkia who is in the Beta so I don't see why is Assist Trophy wouldn't be there. If not, than I think we got ourselves another playable contender.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To my knowledge the ATs that haven't been spotted yet are:

Ashley
Dark Samus
Devil
Dillon
Dr. Kawashima
Elecman
Ghirahim
Infantry and Tanks
Isabelle
Kat & Ana
Magnus
Nightmare
Phosphora
Sable Prince
Saki Amamiya
Shadow the Hedgehog
Skull Kid
Tingle

and the Brawl only ones.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
None of us know how much new content we will get yet. Seeing so many old elements was fantastic and a trip down memory lane.

Let us wait and see before calling this mostly old stuff.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
For curiosity's sake, what does the roster being vets have to do with the longevity of the game? Seems to me that the cut characters that returned are just as much characters as any new ones that would be added, plus we're going to have massive balance changes (assuming, of course) to characters that haven't appeared since Melee.

Forgive me if this is stupid but I'm not sure I see how a character being "new" or not affects how long people will stay interested in the game. Shiny new things become old quickly, I doubt the novelty of a new character has any real effect on the meta beyond "Oh dude the new DLC character came out let me see if they're any good!".
The selling point of a new Smash Bros game is the newcomers. Newcomers are essentially the reason to invest in purchasing a new Smash Bros game, stuff like modes and the engine differences (while still very, very important) ultimately takes a backseat to newcomers in a game's identity. it's the reason this thread has discussed nothing but the same 25 characters since March.

That being said, I'm extremely hype for this game. Not only did I get my most wanted newcomer, but there's a strong sense of satisfaction in seeing the ol' gang back together again. Really, my concerns over longevity are just the worrier in me. I personally think we'll get at least 4 or 5 newcomers that we don't know about yet, not counting echo characters.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I have a feeling we're going to get Adventure Mode or something similar back. Nothing Subspace level, obviously (and thankfully, otherwise hello delays until oblivion), but I don't think old man Sakurai blew his entire load on this one direct.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
To my knowledge the ATs that haven't been spotted yet are:

Ashley
Dark Samus
Devil
Dillon
Dr. Kawashima
Elecman
Ghirahim
Infantry and Tanks
Isabelle
Kat & Ana
Magnus
Nightmare
Phosphora
Sable Prince
Saki Amamiya
Shadow the Hedgehog
Skull Kid
Tingle

and the Brawl only ones.
I wanna add that some of them may have been taken out preemptively. DLC is coming. There is no way it isn't. Now that regular characters like Mario and Pikachu have special costumes like the Miis did in 4, whats stopping them from releasing DLC costumes for the rest of the cast? Dark Samus as a costume for Samus later on? I'd almost bet on it. Shadow as a purchasable DLC? I can see it.

Not saying they will but its a possibility for sure.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Guys... is it just me, or does this game feel like it's going to be the very last thing we'll ever see of Smash Bros for a long time? I'm worried that maybe after this game stops receiving content, the franchise will probably go on a hiatus or something.
I remember hearing Sakurai saying that there will be another Smash games in the future (not anytime soon obviously), but he said this game will probably be the only one with everyone in it.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Can fellow Ganondorf mains talk to me about this? This is actually disgusting
FINALLY I'M FREE! FREEDOM, FREEDOM FROM GANONCIDE!

Could work with Light screen, will o wisp and teleport replacing her specials.

Question is, Gallade summon for the down special or new move altogether?
Either down B will be a new move like Calm Mind to give her attack, speed and defense a buff, or the ability Trace and she could copies down specials. If there are no new moves, then Gallade will be summoned and attack with Psycho Cut similar to Zelda's down special and it'll could be called Assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom