• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kylexv

Smash Master
To my knowledge the ATs that haven't been spotted yet are:

Ashley
Dark Samus
Devil
Dillon
Dr. Kawashima
Elecman
Ghirahim
Infantry and Tanks
Isabelle
Kat & Ana
Magnus
Nightmare
Phosphora
Sable Prince
Saki Amamiya
Shadow the Hedgehog
Skull Kid
Tingle

and the Brawl only ones.
I remember seeing Kawashima during the Treehouse stream, but I have no source.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
Random tangent, but can we appriciate how Samus is so sick of Ridley's **** that even when he take her down, she leaps back and goes "I don't need this suit to take your undying *** down!"?

God I missed this Samus.
Ridley is my favorite Nintendo character ever, rivaled only by Mario. But it was Samus who first got me into Ridley. Her fearlessness when fighting him was always so awesome to me, and Ridley's trailer did a fantastic job of showing that.

Their eternal rivalry is one of my all-time favorites in video game--or any--history. Can't wait to come up against good Samus or ZSS players and have some epic battles!

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I've wondered since I came back to Smashboards: what is this fixation with whether it's a port or not? Why does it matter? Does it make you feel better to have it be one or the other? Either it's different enough from Smash 4 for you to buy it, or it isn't.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
Oof I know he doesn't have a shot at all but the fact that Ghirahim isn't deconfirmed yet is just music to my ears.

Also I wonder if the "Everyone is Here" might extend to Assist Trophy's and Items? That sounds like a cool idea to me.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Does Ridley just have two jumps (not including Up B)?

I think his Up special flaps his wings a bit and it confuses me on the jump number.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I've wondered since I came back to Smashboards: what is this fixation with whether it's a port or not? Why does it matter? Does it make you feel better to have it be one or the other? Either it's different enough from Smash 4 for you to buy it, or it isn't.
People like labels even though in this instance it LITERALLY makes no difference. It's silly but you'll never convince those who act like it matters otherwise.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm pretty happy with the final contenders for the Gen 7 Pokemon slot (assuming their is one):
1. Decidueye (people like him/is in Pokken)
2. Rowlett (Most Popular Pokemon in japan)
3. Mimikyu (Number 3(?) on the Japan popularity list/huge fanbase)
4. Incineroar (AT LEAST equal chance as Decidueye now. No more "muh starter type trio" argument holding one over the other/would be another unique heavy)
5. Zereaora(?) (Is popular (I think?)/ and is the newest Pokemon in the series/has a solid design for Smash)

If I didn't put one it's because I haven't actually seen all the confirmed poke ball mons (holy **** Mimikyu isn't one of them (inb4 someone shows me it is) bless Sakurai). I would put Buzzwole and Nihilego but I dunno if they were pokeball mons.

EDIT: I'd be happy with any of the 5, although I would be somewhat disappointing with Zereoara(?).
I'd also add Lycanroc to that list. He's Ash's ace in the anime and placed 5th on Japan's popularity list. Plus, Rockruffs are as common as gravel (hehehe) in Gen 7's marketing, similar to Lucario's prominence in gen 4's marketing.

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey threw this question in another thread but never got a response. I haven't been a part of the smash scene in over a year now but I did notice something during the invitational I haven't seen anyone else mention. Right here, MKLeo scores a KO against Zero's Sheik in what appears to be the startup of her recovery - https://youtu.be/q_mbvCzjpPw?t=2600 If I'm not mistaken, this part of Sheik's animation had invincibility in the previous installments, no?

Troykv

Smash Master
So... How many new characters we'll have outside of Inkling and Ridley then?

The Everyone is Here thing is quite amazing, and I like many of the redesigns.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wanna add that some of them may have been taken out preemptively. DLC is coming. There is no way it isn't. Now that regular characters like Mario and Pikachu have special costumes like the Miis did in 4, whats stopping them from releasing DLC costumes for the rest of the cast? Dark Samus as a costume for Samus later on? I'd almost bet on it. Shadow as a purchasable DLC? I can see it.

Not saying they will but its a possibility for sure.
Perhaps, though I'd suggest a likelier reason for possible absence is just not being in the E3 demo build.

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I'd also add Lycanroc to that list. He's Ash's ace in the anime and placed 5th on Japan's popularity list. Plus, Rockruffs are as common as gravel (hehehe) in Gen 7's marketing, similar to Lucario's prominence in gen 4's marketing.
Yeah, I hadn't been on here in a while and forgot about him, sorry. He's added now!

D

Deleted member

They've still got their own slot, don't they?

How is that different than last time? I could see them not getting changed much if at all, but it's not like they're going to be made more similar to their counterparts.
I mean, we already know Dark Pit has the Electroshock Arm and his Final Smash from before, so it's safe to say Lucina would still have her lack of tipper mechanic.

...though now I wonder what's different between Peach and Daisy aside from aesthetics?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Daisy floating up and down instead of side to side may be too big a difference for an echo. But it would be neat.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Why the heck are we taking Simon as gospel now? EVERYBODY was predicting Ridley and the ICs in Smash at E3. And if his source knew about those two why didn't they tell Vergeben that every flipping veteran was returning? I think Simon still has a good shot but the DasVergeben rumor does nothing for him.

Side note: Anyone have any footage of Green Hill, I believe that was a playable stage at E3. If Shadow doesn't replace Knuckles in that stage then I will be suspicious.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Gosh, Ultimate re-contextualizes everything for me and what I want for this game. I've gone from clamoring for over a dozen newcomers to expecting, and maybe wanting, only a handful of them. The amount of detail the team has spent on every character, all the aspects of gameplay, I wouldn't want anything rushed to expand the game. This is a great opportunity for an incredible base game, and now that Smash 4 tested the DLC waters they can add the big stuff as they need it. If we only get, say, 5 newcomers, but they're all treated with the same love and attention to detail the Inkling and Ridley have been, I'll be way more than content. Seeing everyone coming back is the absolute hypest, more than I could ever expect.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Why the heck are we taking Simon as gospel now? EVERYBODY was predicting Ridley and the ICs in Smash at E3. And if his source knew about those two why didn't they tell Vergeben that every flipping veteran was returning? I think Simon still has a good shot but the DasVergeben rumor does nothing for him.

Side note: Anyone have any footage of Green Hill, I believe that was a playable stage at E3. If Shadow doesn't replace Knuckles in that stage then I will be suspicious.

I honestly think its that he got nothing wrong PLUS we have bomberman as an assist which leaves castlevania mysteriously absent and it just makes sense to get simon... we also have no NEW 3rd party reps and theres gotta be somebody and he just makes sense.

Splotim

Smash Apprentice
Hey threw this question in another thread but never got a response. I haven't been a part of the smash scene in over a year now but I did notice something during the invitational I haven't seen anyone else mention. Right here, MKLeo scores a KO against Zero's Sheik in what appears to be the startup of her recovery - https://youtu.be/q_mbvCzjpPw?t=2600 If I'm not mistaken, this part of Sheik's animation had invincibility in the previous installments, no?
Your right, it did. Either the I-frames got pushed back or were removed entirely. Good riddance IMO. It made no sense why she had them in the first place.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Other than Inklings, Ridley, and Daisy, I'm gonna expect at least 7 more new fighters

ninthetic

Smash Rookie
Call me a ****ing normie but I think more popular, but less character based third party games that are on switch like Minecraft or Fortnite could represented well by stages.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Call me a ****ing normie but I think more popular, but less character based third party games that are on switch like Minecraft or Fortnite could represented well by stages.

well supposedly part of vergebens leak which sort of came true, is a minecraft "something" in smash so in all likelihood a minecraft stage could happen here.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If the newcomer spots are limited because of bringing everybody back, and literally everybody being in the case is a result of fanservice and fan demand, and with Inklings, Daisy and Ridley all being fan-favorite characters and heavily requested, then it stands to reason that all the newcomers, Echo Fighter or no, should theoretically skew towards heavily-requested fan-favorites as well.

Which bodes well for characters like K. Rool, Dixie, Geno and Isaac that Smash fans have been requesting for years alongside Ridley and Daisy, as well as Ashley, Isabelle and Skull Kid who are currently MIA on the Assist Trophy side. Especially to the latter, we've seen a lot of fan-favorites either reprise their appearance as AT's or show up as one (Waluigi, Lyn, and Takamaru / Krystal, Bomberman, and Knuckles, respectively), so the fact that we can't find those three anywhere as of yet seems to be suspiciously significant.

I would personally bet on K. Rool and Geno for sure, Ashley and Dixie as a lesser chance, Skull Kid as a darkhorse pick, and then Isaac and Isabelle's chances as non-zero but not all that likely IMO (though I'd hope to be wrong!). But you also take into consideration Simon being leaked (and c'mon guys, if you don't believe Simon you're setting yourself up to look like fools because he's about as confirmed as you can get with the leaks he was a part of being basically confirmed in everything they revealed except for him showing up and the Castlevania compilation, so it's a matter of when he'll be revealed, not if), rumors of Minecraft and/or Microsoft involvement (which could implicate Banjo as a non-zero possibility), as well as Elma being pseudo-confirmed with the Mecha figurine that Sakurai bought and tweeted about; and you've already got a pretty darn good newcomer line up.

And aside from Dixie, that's not even including potential Echo Fighters! Of which the way it was revealed heavily implicates that we're see more of than just Daisy. So we may get less newcomers in the base game, but in terms of who we and the fanbase at large have been looking forward to for years upon years, I think we'll be generally satisfied with who we do get.

And then you have the very likely possibility of post-launch DLC, which is a whole other ballpark in terms of characters, 1st- and 3rd-party, that could show - characters like Spring-Man (And Ribbon Girl as his Echo), Rex & Pyra, Crash, and Spyro.

This is really going to ultimately hehe be the ultimate roster and Smash game in general by the end of its lifecycle.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I honestly think its that he got nothing wrong PLUS we have bomberman as an assist which leaves castlevania mysteriously absent and it just makes sense to get simon... we also have no NEW 3rd party reps and theres gotta be somebody and he just makes sense.
I'd say Simon is the second most likely 3rd party rep. Rayman with the Rabbids as an assist trophy seems to obvious based on how close Nintendo and Ubisoft have been as of late.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
If the newcomer spots are limited because of bringing everybody back, and literally everybody being in the case is a result of fanservice and fan demand, and with Inklings, Daisy and Ridley all being fan-favorite characters and heavily requested, then it stands to reason that all the newcomers, Echo Fighter or no, should theoretically skew towards heavily-requested fan-favorites as well.

Which bodes well for characters like K. Rool, Dixie, Geno and Isaac that Smash fans have been requesting for years alongside Ridley and Daisy, as well as Ashley, Isabelle and Skull Kid who are currently MIA on the Assist Trophy side. Especially to the latter, we've seen a lot of fan-favorites either reprise their appearance as AT's or show up as one (Waluigi, Lyn, and Takamaru / Krystal, Bomberman, and Knuckles, respectively), so the fact that we can't find those three anywhere as of yet seems to be suspiciously significant.

I would personally bet on K. Rool and Geno for sure, Ashley and Dixie as a lesser chance, Skull Kid as a darkhorse pick, and then Isaac and Isabelle's chances as non-zero but not all that likely IMO (though I'd hope to be wrong!). But you also take into consideration Simon being leaked (and c'mon guys, if you don't believe Simon you're setting yourself up to look like fools because he's about as confirmed as you can get with the leaks he was a part of being basically confirmed in everything they revealed except for him showing up and the Castlevania compilation, so it's a matter of when he'll be revealed, not if), rumors of Minecraft and/or Microsoft involvement (which could implicate Banjo as a non-zero possibility), as well as Elma being pseudo-confirmed with the Mecha figurine that Sakurai bought and tweeted about; and you've already got a pretty darn good newcomer line up.

And aside from Dixie, that's not even including potential Echo Fighters! Of which the way it was revealed heavily implicates that we're see more of than just Daisy. So we may get less newcomers in the base game, but in terms of who we and the fanbase at large have been looking forward to for years upon years, I think we'll be generally satisfied with who we do get.

And then you have the very likely possibility of post-launch DLC, which is a whole other ballpark in terms of characters, 1st- and 3rd-party, that could show - characters like Spring-Man (And Ribbon Girl as his Echo), Rex & Pyra, Crash, and Spyro.

This is really going to ultimately hehe be the ultimate roster and Smash game in general by the end of its lifecycle.

this is essentially exactly what im predicting, agree 1000% good post.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
My question is, what kind of character will Daisy be? Both DP and Lucina are considered echo characters but they are actually extremely different from each other

There are only 3 moves that Dark Pit has that are different than Pit

Almost ALL of Lucina's moves are different than Marth. Even though she has the same animations as him she ultimately feels much different than him. Marth whole gimmick is his tipper mechanic so him not being tipered actually makes a big difference.

This makes me wonder what kind of echo fighter will Daisy be. Will she just have aesthetically different moves or will her moves have different percentages and have different properties(Instead of turnips maybe she pulls flowers)

There really isn't any point to speculating anymore. You may get a few more characters and a few stages, but you just saw 90% of the game at least. Its not going to add much more than this since the whole point is "hey all the characters are back."

I expect that this game will go down as one of the weakest games. I think after the hype wears down people will realize there really isn't going to be much to this game. People will probably get bored with it really quickly as well as its all stuff from past games.

I also saw a really great point: where does the game go from here. You can't really have a big roster anymore since that's kind of the appeal of this game and its sacrificing new content on the alter of "Hey all the characters are back." I think it may be time for a reboot soon. After this, the series desperatly needs one.
I was honestly bummed when he told us not to expect newcomers. I would have rather gotten more newcomers than have everyone come back(Tbh I only dislike Pichu and Young link)

Idk if we already saw 90% of the game that is a bit much. I am willing to bet that this game will have at least 10 newcomers(Echo included). But you're right, this seems more like a collection rather than a new game.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I really wish we learnt more about modes. I really hope the Smash Blog has daily updates. Then we can have an official Blog Discussion board like PotD.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
What's up with Snake's new series symbol? Seems like a random thing to change unless there was a reason.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

A valuable information dump.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I like what I've seen so far but it does feel like it's retreading old ground, I need to see more newcomers, more new stages and more new modes, it just feels like an amalgamation of previous smash games right now.

Although tbh ridley makes the game for me, I'll buy it just for him.

Visually the change is nice though, although some characters like Roy and Corrin look strangely almost exactly like their smash 4 counterparts.
Roy and Corrin were built from the ground up for DLC, with Corrin being the last DLC addition. Of course, they'd look similar to 2-3 years ago, why would they need a change?
I just find it so weird that they gave sheik a BOTW look, it's so random, they should've just used her Ocarina design imo
Ganondorf and Young Link were both based on Ocarina of Time, I think Sakurai was trying to divide the game representation.
Whelp, ZeRo wins..... with Mario

Oh God don't be another Smash 4 Mario...
It was quite poetic IMO. Zero defending his title, using Mario the Nintendo character against Sonic, a mascot rivalry mirroring the rivalry between Smash 4 and Melee players, it was too good.
echo fighter Chrom?????

HMMMMMMMM

Look deep into your hearts, you know it to be true.
That would be a travesty. 3 Awakening characters? Chrom not using his own style which is distinct from Marth? I'd rather Chrom not be in tbh.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
What's up with Snake's new series symbol? Seems like a random thing to change unless there was a reason.
Noticed that too. Can't think of a valid reason unless Sakurai decided to change it out of respect for Kojima (since it used to be the Kojima Productions logo).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I just realized it

We got shadow Moses and palutena's temple

It should happen but can't wait to see the codecs and palutena's guidence on all previously cut characters (smash 4 characters for codecs) and whoever the newcomers of ultimate are

Especially Ridley I feel like both of them will involve his size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom