• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I right there with you on Geno.

Side note, I want Sakurai to satisfy my OCD and give two reps per third party company.

Geno, Belmont, Nacmo Character...

And i'm good I don't need any more third parties...

Except Ryu Hayabusa. But it feels like a very long shot.
NIghtmare or Ivy. I want Ivy (sick whip fights) though I know I'm a fool.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Guys... is it just me, or does this game feel like it's going to be the very last thing we'll ever see of Smash Bros for a long time? I'm worried that maybe after this game stops receiving content, the franchise will probably go on a hiatus or something.
If they add every single stage and item, and give you the option to have old final smashes and movesets, then I honestly won't really mind, even if there weren't any new Smash games for several decades, or not at all.
Modders will eventually find a way, and we can possibly hack in new characters, slots and all, like with Brawl's clone engine (Brawl Ex)
A dream come true.

----

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is it just me or is Dark Pit and Lucina effectively cut from the game, as in as fighters that stand on their own and can carry their own tournament representation?
They don't seem any different than they did in Smash 4 to me.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Is it just me or is Dark Pit and Lucina effectively cut from the game, as in as fighters that stand on their own and can carry their own tournament representation?
Nah, they haven't, Lucina got plenty of tournament represenation in Smash 4 even with Marth being better, what keeps Dark Pit from getting that isn't that he's a echo character, it's just that he doesn't have a big enough base of people who love the character to get amazing results, if you're going to main a character that isn't Top or High Tier, you probably have some passion for the character, and compared to the other superstars Nintendo has, Dark Pit's pretty obscure.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
There really isn't any point to speculating anymore. You may get a few more characters and a few stages, but you just saw 90% of the game at least. Its not going to add much more than this since the whole point is "hey all the characters are back."

I expect that this game will go down as one of the weakest games. I think after the hype wears down people will realize there really isn't going to be much to this game. People will probably get bored with it really quickly as well as its all stuff from past games.

I also saw a really great point: where does the game go from here. You can't really have a big roster anymore since that's kind of the appeal of this game and its sacrificing new content on the alter of "Hey all the characters are back." I think it may be time for a reboot soon. After this, the series desperatly needs one.

is that milk or pure concentrated pessimism you're drinking?

SciCore

Filthy Casual
Were/are there any solo Dark Pit mains in smash 4? I usually only saw base Pit or both of them played.

As for Lucina the lack of tippers is a much larger change than Dark Pit so I feel like some people may stick with her without Marth.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So what about the Minecraft content that Vergeben mentioned? I imagine if there was a stage dedicated to Minecraft they would have shown it now, no? But then again there’ll obviously be another smash direct so I guess it’d be good there. Or even a normal Nintendo direct since they’ll obviously talk about Minecraft there.

I think Belmont is happening 100%. We’ve got Metal Gear and Bomberman representation, yet no Castlevania stuff was shown. Castlevania is a such a huge series there’s no way they wouldn’t take advantage to have it represented in some form in Smash.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
People are excited about Daisy, but do we have any confirmation about her being actually different from Peach? Dark Pit kind of ruined my faith in Sakurai in that regard.
Don't expect much. She's an Echo Fighter. To give us an idea, Lucina and Dark Pit are echo fighters, while characters like Roy, Dr. Mario and Pichu are not. They would've put more emphasis on her announcement if she was more unique.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's the thing, Lucina is different. In Melee, all of the clones were different. But Dark Pit is so similar that he might as well be the same character and he has no real reason to exist... I'm worried that Daisy will be like that, technically not identical framedata, but no new properties that distinguish her from Peach.
I could see her attributes being tweaked slightly, but tbh you're talking to the wrong person. I've almost never been big on clones in the first place, even ones that differentiate themselves.

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
This Smash looks absolutely phenomenal, it is the ultimate fanservice Smash game I have always dreamed of. It honestly feels like I'm dreaming right now, it is that surreal. I can without a doubt say if this is to be the final Smash title, the game Sakurai closes the franchise with, I would be satisfied. This is a fantastic finale and ultimate tribute to the series.

As I have been inactive on SmashBoards for quite some time, ever since 2015 to be exact, when the character DLC train for Smash 4 ended. I have been waiting to return to this forum for character speculation for the new upcoming Smash. But with Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I feel it has finally has fulfilled my dream for the ideal Smash title, and thus, leaves me little to no reason to be a part of speculation discussions here anymore. Nearly every single character I wanted are now in the roster, I have very few characters left I still want in Smash at this point (and they are characters with very little chances anyway, such as Lip and Takamaru) I know some of you might be a bit concerned that there aren't gonna be many newcomers this time around. But for me personally, this is the closest there is to the Smash game I have always wanted.

It has been a really great ride, I really enjoyed my time on here during the Brawl speculation era and Smash 4 speculation era. But I can now finally take my leave satisfied. I wish all of you the best of luck moving forward, and hopefully you'll see your character wishes come to fruition one day, whenever there is a new Smash title!
Im with you.
My favs chars are Falco, Dr Mario and Snake...

In Brawl missed Dr Mario, in SSB4 Snake... now I have all of my dudes... what a time to be alive!

I feel I just dont need anything else in this game... maybe an adventure mode lol

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean like now I consider them in the same position as Alph and the Koopalings. Dark Pit is still a separate fighter even if the differences are minute, but now it looks like they'll just be straight up the same character
They've still got their own slot, don't they?

How is that different than last time? I could see them not getting changed much if at all, but it's not like they're going to be made more similar to their counterparts.

Khao

Smash Lord
I mean like now I consider them in the same position as Alph and the Koopalings. Dark Pit is still a separate fighter even if the differences are minute, but now it looks like they'll just be straight up the same character
For what it's worth, we did see Dark Pit's arrow's and just like in Sm4sh, they're less controllable than Pit's. Also Marth's sword trails emphasize the tip while Lucina's don't, which hints towards her working the same.

Plus, Koopalings and Alph are in, yet they're not Echo Figthers.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Might be a contreversial opinion, but if you are setting your expectations to more than 6-8 new characters, your setting your expectations way too high.
There's not many spots left on the roster, and only 2-3 more directs to show off information (not even counting unlockables hidden until after release) IMO it's likely we get Belmont and a few others and that's about it. It's going to be a rough time for character speculation for those who survived today, as the survivors will scrap for what remains...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Can fellow Ganondorf mains talk to me about this? This is actually disgusting
If that alone is making people suggest that Ganondorf is going to be terrible, just remember that Bowser's Flying Slam got the nerf hammer, and yet he still managed to get an average position on the Smash 3DS / Wii U tier list.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Hoping they patch out being able to mash out of ganoncide....it isn't even an unfair thing. If Ganon actually lands flamechocke from offstage its your fault! What the heck man.:laugh:

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
Might be a contreversial opinion, but if you are setting your expectations to more than 6-8 new characters, your setting your expectations way too high.
There's not many spots left on the roster, and only 2-3 more directs to show off information (not even counting unlockables hidden until after release) IMO it's likely we get Belmont and a few others and that's about it. It's going to be a rough time for character speculation for those who survived today, as the survivors will scrap for what remains...
I think they're just gonna round the number to 70 and call it a day

Pakky

Smash Hero
So we got Shadow Moses, do we have the temple as well?

If so, are we getting two versions of info convos for EVERYONE?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am actually more in control of my expectations. Didn't expect 8 characters at most to begin with, at first. Still, what makes you think there will be three or two more Directs later?

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
In regards to Echo Fighters;

Based on what little we know the clones seem to the same as they've ever been so I don't see how they're "effectively cut". Alph and the Koopalings are literally costumes. DP and Lucina still retain their differences.

Just going to copy and paste what I posted in newcomer speculation:
Echo Fighters is likely just a re-branding of the term clones to hopefully move away from the stigma, though we'll have to see how well that works (which I sadly don't believe that it will.)

Going off of what's been shown, and assuming the rest is the same for now, we have this:

:4darkpit: - Electroshock Arm instead of Upper Dash, but they're still basically the same move anyway; the weapon difference is more of an aesthetic change than a functional one. (Well sort of, stat differences, you get the point.)
:4lucina: - No tipper
Both - Minor stat differerences

On the other hand;

:4drmario:
- Has a different Down Special; Dr. Tornado instead of Mario's FLUDD.
- Has MegaVitamins instead of Fireballs. And while yes they serve a similar purpose as a projectile they behave differently, whereas DP's Electroshock Arm does not. (It's differences being in KB angle and damage.)
- He has a new Down Air; it's in the video on his fighter page in case you haven't seen it yet.
- Stat differences.
:younglinkmelee:
- Retains a multi-hit jab.
- Fire Arrows in place of Link's normal (twin arrows now?)
- Stat and size differences.
:pichumelee:
- Retains his self damage mechanic
- Different Smash Attacks
- Stat and size differences

As for Daisy, she seems to share all the same moves as Peach as with DP and Lucina with Pit and Marth respectively. My guess is that she'll likely lack the ability to float and will have the usual stat differences such as being a little stronger or faster to make up for it. [spoiler/]

Last edited:

meowth_thats_wrong

Smash Cadet
Now that I've had time to think, here's an unpopular opinion that I don't expect many here to agree with:

I honestly hope there are plenty of newcomers that really surprise us, and that "Ultimate" doesn't mean pandering entirely to the Smash community echo chamber of Ridley/K. Rool/Geno/Isaac/Banjo/etc. in order to fill out the rest of the roster. Hear me out: I'm about to reach my 20's, and some of the most popular characters here are in games that are older than me, with games on consoles that I'll never own. I recognize K. Rool and the Kremlings from Mario Super Sluggers, not DKC. Likewise, many of my Melee-loving friends have never heard of the likes of Geno or Isaac, and aren't going to buy a Switch for a Smash with characters whose games they've never played. Knowing what they mean to the online community, I'd love to see them join the cast, but personally I can't really get excited about the old fan favorites. If we have under 10 newcomer spots, I hope to see some interesting modern picks as well, like Paper Mario or Cooking Mama - characters that 20-somethings like me and my friends will recognize.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Hoping they patch out being able to mash out of ganoncide....it isn't even an unfair thing. If Ganon actually lands flamechocke from offstage its your fault! What the heck man.:laugh:
Does the amount of damage the grabbed target has affect how quickly he/she can break free from Flame Choke? If so, then it'll probably be very tough for a high damaged target to escape Ganondorf's suicide tactics.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Although I'd rather she be her own character, how would you feel if Gardevoir was an Echo Character of Zelda?

IMO. . .DLC is going to be the best bet for large groups of characters. Seems like a lot of focus was on porting and making a bunch of vets from scratch. Plus, sakurai seemed to like DLC making more than the stress of regular development.

At least that's what i expect.
:061:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
I am actually more in control of my expectations. Didn't expect 8 characters at most to begin with, at first. Still, what makes you think there will be three or two more Directs later?
December is the release.
Assuming a direct every 2 months or so has a character reveal...
-August
-October
-Early December
For an optimistic 3 direct reveal kind of thing.
I personally think we're seeing 70-72 characters (Not counting echos, possibly more if you count echos) and they'll cute loose from there, the rest for DLC.

ninthetic

Smash Rookie
Although I'd rather she be her own character, how would you feel if Gardevoir was an Echo Character of Zelda?
there's not gonna be cross game clones are there???? like i understand ganondorf was that but he's a special case, and there hasn't been anything like that since melee

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Now that I've had time to think, here's an unpopular opinion that I don't expect many here to agree with:

I honestly hope there are plenty of newcomers that really surprise us, and that "Ultimate" doesn't mean pandering entirely to the Smash community echo chamber of Ridley/K. Rool/Geno/Isaac/Banjo/etc. in order to fill out the rest of the roster. Hear me out: I'm about to reach my 20's, and some of the most popular characters here are in games that are older than me, with games on consoles that I'll never own. I recognize K. Rool and the Kremlings from Mario Super Sluggers, not DKC. Likewise, many of my Melee-loving friends have never heard of the likes of Geno or Isaac, and aren't going to buy a Switch for a Smash with characters whose games they've never played. Knowing what they mean to the online community, I'd love to see them join the cast, but personally I can't really get excited about the old fan favorites, although I do love K. Rool's design. If we have under 10 newcomer spots, I hope to see some interesting modern picks as well, like Paper Mario or Cooking Mama - characters that 20-somethings like me and my friends will recognize.
If we got Ridley/K. Rool/Geno/Isaac/Banjo I would honest to goodness pass out.

I know that's not the point you were making. Sorry. xP

FalcoXP

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3205-1052-7736
IMO. . .DLC is going to be the best bet for large groups of characters. Seems like a lot of focus was on porting and making a bunch of vets from scratch. Plus, sakurai seemed to like DLC making more than the stress of regular development.

At least that's what i expect.
:061:
My thoughts exactly.

This way, Sakurai can focuses in polish the game better.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
December is the release.
-August
-October
-Early December
I personally think we're seeing 70-72 characters (Not counting echos, possibly more if you count echos) and they'll cute loose from there, the rest for DLC.
I see. Still, due to the pattern for releasing Directs within the last year, I doubt we will get Directs every 2 months, honestly. However, I am expecting 70-72 characters as well, without the echoes of course.

Pakky

Smash Hero
December is the release.
-August
-October
-Early December
What about July?

Robin was revealed then last time weren't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom