• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You know what would really be an off the wall character?

Agnes from Bravely Default.

Have I played the game? No.

Do I know anything about this character? Not in the slightest.

Is she any bit likely by our standards? Probably not.

Does that make her a perfect "Sakurai-pick"? ABSOLUTELY.

Just sayin'.
Edea or Tiz are better choice for being playable on the two games. And Tiz being the "main character" in both- (he also rock hard on the sequel)
But mentioning Bravely Default show that you have patrician taste nonetheless my man.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So we know Link is getting reworked, or at the very least a BOTW skin/alt costume, and lots of people have been talking about Eevee now that these new pokemon games heavily feature Eevee and this got me thinking. While i like the idea of eevee some how having some kind of evolution mechanic, it might not fit as representation for these new pokemon games since Eevee is confirmed to not evolve in them (odd for the evolution pokemon, i agree). Now Eevee is pretty popular even without these new games, just look at pokemon merchandise and see how prominently they tend to feature eevee and its evolutions nearly as much as pikachu ANYWAY, so reping Eevee in smash with some evolution mechanic could still happen. Eevee could simply be a pokemon gamefreaks intends to give the spotlight from now on due to its already lasting popularity. But after watching the trailer I got a slightly different idea.

What if sakurai brings back pokemon trainer totally reworked as "pkmn trainer and eevee", with the ridable pokemon seemingly taking over HMs and eevee being on your trainers hat etc... it might finally make sense to put the trainer right into the action, and with the catching mechanic taking out pokemon v. pokemon wild encounters thats even more of the trainer getting the attention.

i kind of doubt this idea would happen but i figured id throw it out there as it crossed my mind that due to what we've seen of link its possible heavily reworking characters might not be so foreign to this game and since Eevee without evolutions would be tough to make a moveset for repping the trainer and the starter, literally the bond between them as a rep might be possible.

DYED

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 8460 7625 6123
So, from what I gathered, Pokémon Let's Go is settled in Kanto but will still have at least one new Pokémon.

So I guess we could actually get to see a new Pokémon representative in Smash 5, huh?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Just sayin'.
Fun fact: both Bravely Default and Second were published outside Japan by Nintendo.

That being said, I'd actually be pretty cool with Agnes being playable. I love the Bravely games and their music, including this spoilery track.

As well as the boss theme

You know who else would also be a curveball character? Professor Layton.

It has 18 games on soon 18 console with a lot of them being multiplatform. FFVII sold 11 million on 4 platform and literally one game.
Sales are sales regardless. Being multi-platform and the main character of every game he's in gives him an advantage in terms of exposure.This isn't a valid argument against Crash's icon status.

So I was thinking, what if Smash had its debut for the NES back in the late 80’s? Besides obvious gameplay and content differences, what do you think the roster would have looked liked?

Due to the technical limitations at the time, at most, the roster would probably be around 5 to 8 characters max.
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Donkey Kong
  6. Balloon Fighter
  7. Mega Man
  8. Simon Belmont
Taking a Super Smash Bros. NES into account, how would a SNES roster look with 12 characters max?

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Bowser
  4. Yoshi
  5. Link
  6. Samus
  7. Donkey Kong
  8. Diddy Kong
  9. Kirby
  10. Ness
  11. Bomberman
  12. Ryu
Finally, and you are not expected to do this, but how would the roster for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, Wii U/3DS, and potentially Switch look with those two starting off the series?
The biggest difference I can see is that Ness, Falcon and Jigglypuff would have never been playable in the first pace, given they only made it in due to reusing existing assets in 64.

The best way I could describe his playstyle would be to picture a zany, Looney Tunes-esque character. Off the wall animations, lots of squash and stretch, a very crazed fighting style.

His signature spin would likely be his Neutral Special, having virtually no starting or end lag, like in his games, which can give him more air time, extend combos, and bring foes closer to him. A very versatile attack.

His Side Special would have him pull out his Wumpa Bazooka and take an aiming stance. A reticle would appear on screen that you could freely aim, and tapping the special button fires fruit. Exiting requires pressing the A button or jump/shield.

His Up Special would likely be the Arrow Crates, which would appear under him to shoot him upwards. I imagine you could use this twice before hitting the ground.

His Down Special could be a Crate Cycle. Cycle between a Metal, TNT, and Nitro Crate. TNT crates would explode three seconds after being touched, Nitro crates would instantly explode upon being touched with heavy knock back, and Metal Crates would do tons of damage if dropped from midair. Using your spin near a crate will send it hurdling in the direction you're facing.

Final Smash would utilize Aku-Aku, a mask spirit and Crash's friend and guardian. This could grant Crash a power boost and invincibility to knock back.
Awesome, but don't forget the most important thing!

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Easy. For me it is...

Dragon Warrior (Hero from Dragon Quest) or
Eight (Hero from Dragon Quest VIII) or
Slime
Or if we need a female fighter that uses bare fists, they can go with Fighter from Dragon Quest 3 lol.

Just sayin'.
Agnes from Bravely Default isn't off wall actually... Since it was a pretty successful 3DS game that was made by Square Enix, now the same team is working on Octopath Traveler.

I have played this game but I have yet to finish it.

Problem with Agnes is how she will fight but I think with the job system Sakurai can solve it out.

Also since I love Xenoblade Chronicles 2. ..

Tiz and Agnes are somewhat like Rex
and Pyra... While Edea is kind of like Nia.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Well, looks like RelaxAlax essentially admitted he was messing around.

The new Pokemon game looks really beautiful, but it's not a game for me. Instead I'll wait for the main series entry next year.

Also, one more thing for Emily's record. I now believe her even more about the "ultimate roster in Smash that will blow your minds" thing.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, looks like RelaxAlax essentially admitted he was messing around
I hate when people do that. They should know from personal experience how tedious it is to not know which newcomers are in Smash, but the second they get some inside info, they have to tease everyone and lead them on with all these false cues.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If you want leaks that badly, then I would recommend keeping an eye out for Wal-Mart in particular. The store has a habit of leaking out information early. Like just right now the Wal-Mart website accidentally leaked out that new Sonic racing game Team Sonic Racing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I hate when people do that. They should know from personal experience how tedious it is to not know which newcomers are in Smash, but the second they get some inside info, they have to tease everyone and lead them on with all these false cues.
Yall are desperate if you think a memey youtuber would genuinely leak info. I've watched Alax's stuff since 2014 and he is absolutely the kind of guy to mess around like that so yall set yourselves up for disappointment

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I'm not even sure he really got inside info tbh. I think he just felt the urge to mess around for the lolz, because he knew some people would fall for it because of his (questionable) status.

Anyways, I still believe Emily and Vergeben, at least. The ride it's almost over!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So, from what I gathered, Pokémon Let's Go is settled in Kanto but will still have at least one new Pokémon.

So I guess we could actually get to see a new Pokémon representative in Smash 5, huh?
If we're talking about a Pokemon to represent the 8th generation, it probably won't be present on the base roster.

GrownManJones

Smash Cadet
Well, looks like RelaxAlax essentially admitted he was messing around.
I mentioned yesterday during the YouTube frenzy that content creators are some of the most unethical people I know. You take it as a joke, but they lie to you on purpose for money and attention.

For me, content creation is already dead. Good thing there's always new younger kids that don't know any better.

?????????????

Smash Master
Imo if they go out of their way to get a character from another company it shouldn't be a no name undefined generic character who isn't even a popular request.
That sounds a bit...arbitrary to me? Like, if it’s a good character, what does it matter if it has a name?

It’s not that the Dragon Warrior is “undefined,” it’s that the player gets to name them. They just don’t have a “default” name.

The closest comparison I can make is that...it’s like Crono. Just with no name.

...I also think I’ve seen just “Monster Hunter” suggested, and...yeah, same thing. I think that’d be a really fun, cool Smash character.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I knew believe the youtubers was a bad idea

Only for the views my friends

So I recall Emily rogers saying a leak about Pokémon did she get that right?

Pakky

Smash Hero
So this game looks great and there are a lot of elements that I like but I don’t think it’s for me

I hope the following system is retained for all games moving forward

But the lack of most of hardcore elements makes me unsure as what to call this.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Ok, all that talk regarding a game inspired in pokemon yellow was interesting, a classic on the gameboy era. do you know what else was released on a gameboy?

Exactly, is castlevania music until E3 time! and today we got the best of the gameboy era, Castlevania adventure 2 Belmont's revenge.

while the first one was a clunky and slow due to the team just developing for the gameboy, they gained enough experience to create an extremely responsive, and 100% original game with an even interesting storyline. This game in fact was crafted with such care that have aged very well.

also did you know that the gameboy is capable of such wicked tunes?

Thats the last 8-bit tune btw.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Imo if they go out of their way to get a character from another company it shouldn't be a no name undefined generic character who isn't even a popular request.

I think for guest characters the character themselves matter more than the series they represent.
Characters don't need names to get in Smash. :4villager::4wiifit::4duckhunt:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Duck Hunt has a name...Peepers and Quackers
Wii Fit Trainer- Laura Tessa Flair-Wilson
Villager- Fred

If you want leaks that badly, then I would recommend keeping an eye out for Wal-Mart in particular. The store has a habit of leaking out information early. Like just right now the Wal-Mart website accidentally leaked out that new Sonic racing game Team Sonic Racing.
Oh Walmart

?????????????

Smash Master
I think the point was that 3rd party characters should all be big-name stars.

...Which I still don’t NECESSARILY agree with (obviously, since I’m arguing lol.)

I mean, even at that, I know I had never heard of Snake before Brawl, and I wouldn’t expect the general population to recognize Bayonetta or Simon Belmont.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Good morning friends. What are we all arguing about today?

Alax's "leak"was a prank? Yeah, he seems like a funny dude to play pranks and mess with y'all like that.

Something that isn't brought up a lot here is Smash Run. What do you all think of its chances returning? Would you make any changes to it?

?????????????

Smash Master
Good morning friends. What are we all arguing about today?

Something that isn't brought up a lot here is Smash Run. What do you all think of its chances returning? Would you make any changes to it?
Smash Run was THE best new feature of Smash 4 in my opinion. I want it to come back with local and online multiplayer competition.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Smash Run was fantastic in theory. But I definitely want the option for multiplayer. Maybe you can also be in teams at the start of a match? That would add a lot to replayability, being able to play with or against your friends.

I hope we get to see other characters on the map, but if that happens, I'd like a slightly more condensed map that would allow us to run into other players more frequently. Do you try and KO them? Or just do your own thing?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So I’m really late on this, but I’m liking what I saw from the new Pokemon trailer. I don’t mind GO mechanics as long as the battling stays the same, the co-op looks fun, and it’s been a good while since I went through Kanto last, so I’m excited. Not thw big RPG we were hoping for, but will definetely still bring big money for Nintendo.

Smash Run was really cool and a good online Smash Run would be the best possible mode they could add, imo. I don’t really care about Story Mode so much so there’s that. Subspace was fun for one playthrough but there was not replay value there.

?????????????

Smash Master
What are the latest rumors and whispers on Wolf?
Nothing official, as far as I know. But everyone I've seen who claims to have inside knowledge with no evidence whatsoever says Wolf is back on the roster.

That being said, I think Wolf's chances are solid. Since the last Smash game, we've had Star Fox 0 and Star Fox 2, both of which feature Wolf, and the rumors of an upcoming Star Fox racing game are very strong. I'm positive they'll re-add Wolf before they consider any other Star Fox newcomers.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
What does evereyone think of the potential of a new line of amiibos for the fighters in this game? I think it will happen most likely as amiibos were quite popular last time and there was definitley a bit of a craze for them for a while.

Zeox

Smash Champion
What does evereyone think of the potential of a new line of amiibos for the fighters in this game? I think it will happen most likely as amiibos were quite popular last time and there was definitley a bit of a craze for them for a while.
If the game have the same style as smash4 there will be only new amiibos for new new reps, if is a total different style then I guess there will be new amiibos for mario, luigi, link, etc...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Nothing official, as far as I know. But everyone I've seen who claims to have inside knowledge with no evidence whatsoever says Wolf is back on the roster.

That being said, I think Wolf's chances are solid. Since the last Smash game, we've had Star Fox 0 and Star Fox 2, both of which feature Wolf, and the rumors of an upcoming Star Fox racing game are very strong. I'm positive they'll re-add Wolf before they consider any other Star Fox newcomers.
Although I think Wolf is likely, I'm definitely not going to say he's guaranteed. The last time I banked on a new Star Fox game to save Wolf, we got Corrin instead.

Maybe for the newcomers and a few alts, but sure as heck ain't getting a new Smash line of amiibo with 70+ figures, regardless of whether or not the style changes dramatically.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Amiibos have dropped off slightly in popularity, but I still think we'll get a new line to commemorate Smash 5. My guess is they'll do what Smash 4 did, giving every character have an amiibo and releasing the figures in sets of waves.

If anything, I think Smash will be the game to breath life back into the amiibo craze. I would love to have a Ridley amiibo.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Speaking of Star Fox characters...

I always have trouble envisioning a Champion from Breath of the Wild as a newcomer simply because I'm not sure how you prioritize one over the other. However, Star Fox did this pretty quickly in Melee, picking Falco over Peppy and Slippy. Was Falco really that much more stand-out?

If so, is there any Champion that obviously "stands out" above the other three?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion

I always have trouble envisioning a Champion from Breath of the Wild as a newcomer simply because I'm not sure how you prioritize one over the other. However, Star Fox did this pretty quickly in Melee, picking Falco over Peppy and Slippy. Was Falco really that much more stand-out?

I believe this will all depend on Sakurai as an arguement can made for or against any.

I had a thought earlier in the thread that maybe he would have to base it off BOTW concept art, which, although I am predicting Mipha as the most likely, she was boring in her concept art. Not shown using any of her abilities, and wasn't even showcased with her weapon unlike the other champions were.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

I don't know how much of it is "being a standout", but it seems that Mipha and Urbosa are the most popular.

I don't have a fondness to any of them honestly. I felt the Champions were pretty underdeveloped personally and were a bit of a letdown. I didn't see anything to them when I was playing through the game. (That's just me though)

My idea is to take Impa, model her after one of the monks in the game, and make her fight using BotW moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom