• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So I know a lot of people are saying for characters like Ridley and ganon (the beast not Ganondorf) but how would they be a character. They are way too big, and if Nintendo makes them small people will whine that it’s not representing them well. And what would their moves be? What would their final smash be? How would kirby look if he inhaled them? There is a lot more then just “it would be cool if x or y became a character” is that character well known enough to be recognized by the community? That’s just my opinion and i know a ton of people will spam me saying my opinion is wrong and stuff like that
While you can't please everyone, I have a feeling Ridley's inclusion would make a lot more people happy than upset, regardless of how oddly scaled he might be.

And as for the moveset and Kirby inhaling the characters, I don't think either is really an issue. WFT was one of the first characters Sakurai chose for Smash 4, and she easily had the least obvious moveset potential out of all the characters. Trust me when I say that Sakurai can make a decent moveset if he really wants to. Kirby inhaling Ridley or Pig Ganon isn't a huge deal either. Honestly, Kirby has inhaled much larger things than those two.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
From now on we should just accept that “how would that character work” or “they have no moveset” does not apply for ANY character

TheTrueHer0

Smash Rookie
While you can't please everyone, I have a feeling Ridley's inclusion would make a lot more people happy than upset, regardless of how oddly scaled he might be.

And as for the moveset and Kirby inhaling the characters, I don't think either is really an issue. WFT was one of the first characters Sakurai chose for Smash 4, and she easily had the least obvious moveset potential out of all the characters. Trust me when I say that Sakurai can make a decent moveset if he really wants to. Kirby inhaling Ridley or Pig Ganon isn't a huge deal either. Honestly, Kirby has inhaled much larger things than those two.
Okay so that makes sense and I agree with what you’re saying. But I just don’t believe Ridley has the potential to have a diverse move set that makes him stand out from all the other characters. Nothing against Ridley or any of these characters, but I just don’t think that they would be able to fit in with smash. But I respect your opinion and I’m happy that you respect mine. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve just said my opinion and got spammed with all caps saying I’m an idiot

From now on we should just accept that “how would that character work” or “they have no moveset” does not apply for ANY character
It kinda does. You can’t say that Tetris piece would be able to have a diverse move set and would work perfectly fine as a character

Last edited by a moderator:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
What characters look nearly identical to each other without being a direct reference (Link-Toon Link, Marth - Lucina)? And those three characters all do those things in their games though. Duck Hunt is a bit of a stretch but they do represent the Light Gun. Sakurai would have to make a whole moveset and fighting style up for Giygas as we never see him actually fight. Not saying he can't do that or that he hasn't technically before, but it definitely adds a challenge.
Well I don't believe Mewtwo and Giegue look nearly identical.
One could argue they bare similarities, sure.
There is one official depiction of Giegue, and if you compare that to Mewtwo... Well
Giegue is like spaghetti with pretty much no muscle, his appendages are pointed without feet or hands...

I think Fox and Wolf look similar... ones a Fox and ones a Wolf...
Um, Ness & Lucas ...basically two kids with the same build...

I don't see the issue with Giegue being grey and alien-like and Mewtwo being mostly grey and alien-esk.

In regards to Duck Hunt, Sakurai took a character who on surface level all he does is pick up dead ducks by the neck and show them to the player...

He went outside the box and used the greater Light Gun genre to represent the character, even Wild Gunman which doesn't really apply to Duck Hunt.. besides the light gun.

In comparison Giegue has much more to draw from his own abilties and canon.
He has an army he controls and influences... he could summon a murder of crows with cigarettes (lol)
It's even possible to have Porky as a summon or final smash.

My point is Sakurai can find a way, and move sets are often creative even when lack of source material exist.
If Sakurai could do it for Villager, WFT, and Duck Hunt.
I'm rather confidant he could for Giegue.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
It kinda does. You can’t say that Tetris piece would Ben able to have a diverse move set and would work perfectly fine as a character
I wouldn't say that it outrules characters but it definitely creates a challenge of implementation. Especially concerning unlikely characters , I really don't mean to hate on Giygas just using an example, the fact that they don't have a clear Moveset to point to does make them less likely.

Also, I'm not super familiar with the rules here, but I'm pretty sure double posting is frowned upon. Try to edit and combine posts.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Cosmic77's Rate Zelda Characters' Playability Game

1. Toon Zelda (Already was planned; possible moveset preservation if old Zelda is reworked)

2. Pig Ganon (Heavyweight, rectifies Ganondorf clone, allows multiple reincarnations of each triforce wielder)

3. Tingle (Represents Hyrule's zany aspect; the Triforce and Sheikah are already championed by fighters)

4. Impa (Reoccurring, but unnecessary. Her not being a one shot puts her over more flavorful characters)

5. Midna w/ Wolf Link (Unique gameplay; still recognizable)

6. Ghirahim (Dark reflection of Master Sword, flavorful yet a one shot. Hopefully Dark Master Sword, blade version, appears in a Zelda game down the line possibly allowing you to turn into Dark Link)

7. Skull Kid (Time might have left him behind)

8. Champions (Possibly sucked into Zelda's moveset)

9. Young Link (Toon Link kicked him out for good)

10. Lana (who?)

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
Any ways to make Smash online more enjoyable? I have a bunch of ideas that I'll mention in my next post.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say that it outrules characters but it definitely creates a challenge of implementation. Especially concerning unlikely characters , I really don't mean to hate on Giygas just using an example, the fact that they don't have a clear Moveset to point to does make them less likely.

Also, I'm not super familiar with the rules here, but I'm pretty sure double posting is frowned upon. Try to edit and combine posts.
Yup, I'd agree that it effects ease of implementation.
If a character requires more thought and effort to come up with move set, it eats up dev time.
Doesn't mean it's impossible but it has to effect the consideration for that character among other things.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Any ways to make Smash online more enjoyable? I have a bunch of ideas that I'll mention in my next post.
I made a post about this the other day but basically I think events like overwatch with new modes/outfits/characters would do a lot to keep the online community alive

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
I made a post about this the other day but basically I think events like overwatch with new modes/outfits/characters would do a lot to keep the online community alive
That would definitely be cool, but I was mainly talking about playing online against people around the world. Online mode in Brawl and Smash 4 is so flawed it's ridiculous imo.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
That would definitely be cool, but I was mainly talking about playing online against people around the world. Online mode in Brawl and Smash 4 is so flawed it's ridiculous imo.
Oh I see, I think a party crash mode like ARMS would be a great feature

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
How would it not work? the thing could move, jump and attack just fine and it's pretty small
Not to mention it (the Mother 3 version of the mech, anyways) was already in Brawl supersized into a boss with a moveset.

It would be very easy (design wise) to shrink it down to it's actual size and make it into a full character. I honestly think if the Mother series ever got another character (I don't care that it's finished and thus not relevant anymore, they're all great games) Porky would be the perfect pick as he represents both EarthBound and Mother 3.

TheMagic1

Smash Cadet
NNID
SwagAlt
(This is going to be super long but idc)

With anyone is garbage, I'm sorry but it is. For Fun is nothing but a mindless taunt fest where you get targeted for playing the game correctly, and For Glory is what a casual's description of competitive smash is. Let's dive in on how they could improve for fun:

Ever since Brawl came out, many people have been going online and haven't been fighting at all, but instead they just spam taunts and mess around in game, and these people team up with each other to target the one person in the room who just wants to fight. This is a VERY huge problem. Many new players will go into these rooms and assume that because the title is "For Fun", that it means to mess around and to avoid fighting entirely, and then we'll have more people trying to target others for just playing the game. This needs to stop immediately, and Nintendo needs to ban people who play like this online. And I don't mean some type of inaccurate report feature that never works, I mean to actually let people know to not play like this online, and look at other people's matches to see who's not playing the right way. If Nintendo does this, For Fun can actually be enjoyable.

Aside from that, they could randomize the rules each match. One could be a 2 mins match with items, other times it can be stock with pokeballs, or maybe coins with no items. And please guys, allow all stages, even FD.

For Glory is also really flawed. They have a ffa mode which is never supposed to be competitive, there's no ranking system at all, the only stage you play on is fd variants with no battlefield or smashvile or anything else. So here's how they can fix this. Remove FFA's and just have 1v1 and doubles, have omega stages have unique platform and stage layouts, but don't take it to the point where they aren't legal, and have a actual ranking system.

And last but not least, have a new mode called "For Anything". In this mode, people make online rooms where anyone can join, and the host can have whatever rules they desire with whatever stage. This can not only grant more interesting matches, but can actually get all of those taunters away from For Fun to be here, and no one else has to join them if they want to fight, so everyone's happy.

There's also connection issues and such, but hopefully paid online fixes this.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Porky would be the perfect pick as he represents both EarthBound and Mother 3.
I would argue Giegue would be a better choice in this regard.

Here's why;

Why choose Porky to represent Mother 2 & 3 when Ness and Lucas represent one of those games already.
It still leaves the first Mother game unrepresented with a primary character.
Giegue is the main antagonist of the series as a whole, and is the primary villain of Mother 1.

Giegue was in his physical form in Mother.
Giegue was in his ethereal form in Mother 2.
And in Mother 3 the events are a result of the influence of impact he had in Mother 1 & 2.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I would argue Giegue would be a better choice in this regard.

Here's why;

Why choose Porky to represent Mother 2 & 3 when Ness and Lucas represent one of those games already.
It still leaves the first Mother game unrepresented with a primary character.
Giegue is the main antagonist of the series as a whole, and is the primary villain of Mother 1.

Giegue was in his physical form in Mother.
Giegue was in his ethereal form in Mother 2.
And in Mother 3 the events are a result of the influence of impact he had in Mother 1 & 2.
Yeah but which one is in a spider mech mhmmm?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
A ranking system. Properly implemented though.

When it comes to For Glory of course.
I will say though, I want more from AW in smash. I don't personally care for a character, but it needs a tad more.

It needs more music

And if possible, incorporate the beautiful graphics.

yeah, that isn't reasonable because Smash isn't pixelated. . .but shut up. An AT is already decent representation I suppose but it could do with a bit more. Music might be a bit weird since a lot of it isn't really fight music, but tell that to AC.
:061:
Didn't see this post yesterday but yeah you're absolutely right.

If there's no AW character being added in then there should at least be a bunch of AW tracks added in the game. Like put Max' theme on :4littlemac:'s stage and have Eagle's theme on the Pilotwings stage. Maybe a stage as well though it would hurt to see a stage but no character in the game. If Boss Battles returns then maybe Sturm could be one of the bosses? He would summon a Meteor that would do ridiculous amount of damage.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As it's now Sora's turn in the RTC thread, I'm taking the opportunity to leave this here:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Lol!

it appears I've been bested.
Generally porky would make the more interesting character imo. Giygas has psi abilities but there are other magic users already and he doesn't really have anything specific or unique to stand out from what I know. Doesn't help that he looks a LOT like mewtwo lol.

As it's now Sora's turn in the RTC thread, I'm taking the opportunity to leave this here:
lol

This implies that opinions on designs come down to just things like the type of pants and shoes and not the execution and ignores the multitude of other differences between the character's and their designs AND assumes that both are the same people

1/10 bad bait. 1 point for getting me to reply
:061:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Generally porky would make the more interesting character imo. Giygas has psi abilities but there are other magic users already and he doesn't really have anything specific or unique to stand out from what I know. Doesn't help that he looks a LOT like mewtwo lol.
Well i'd argue the ability to manipulate, influence, and control others is a major character trait and ability of Giegue.
If that were to transition over to Smash, a mind controller gimmick would be very unique.
Granted it would require limitations to prevent it from being over powered.

There are still a handful of PSI abilities not yet used by Ness or Lucas.

We have a couple examples of summoners in Smash, the one that quickly comes to my mind is Zelda and a the Phantom Armor.

Since Giegue has an army he controls ie; Starmen and Octobots among many others....
He influences crows, which were a common enemy in Mother, it would be neat to see a murder of crows used as an attack.

This could also transition over to Smash...

When you combine the possibilities of being a Mind Controller (MC) and summoner, and PSI abilities.

He actually sounds rather unique and fun.

Well in my own subjective opinion, of course.

As for looking "A LOT" like Mewtwo, I don't know.
I would say they both fit a mold of a grey alien genotype (maybe).
But visually they are distinguishable.
Giegue very thin, like spaghetti thin, with no feet or hands.
He's a noodle with appendages, which is a stark contrast from Mewtwo.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
So what will be the newcomer that gets mistaken for a Disney/Pixar character from people who aren’t as familiar with video games?
R.O.B/Wall-e - Brawl
Rosalina/Elsa - 4

My bets are on Wonder Red/The Incredibles
Maybe a Tostarenan from Odyssey mistaken to be From Coco? :laugh:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The only problem Porky has is that Bowser Jr. kind of stole his thing as a mech fighter. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work, but it does take some of the uniqueness away from what Porky would bring to the roster, if it wasn't the case then I think Porky would always have had an outside chance if only because of the unique fighting style he'd bring.

I'm still very much Team Porky though, I'd be over the moon if he was included, I always loved how they managed to make him so despicable, yet at the end you still have sympathy for him, he's one of Nintendo best written characters even though there's very rarely set time aside for him. Giygas/Giegue was always notable for his enormous influence on the series, but not as an actual character imo, I think both encounters with him are extremely memorable, but he's more of a force that you have to stop (more so in Earthbound than in Mother of course).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sora is meant to look kinda goofy because he's fighting alongside Disney characters. His design takes cues from Disney and it works.

Rex just looks goofy in a bad way.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Classic Ganon is too big let’s just kill two birds with one stone and get a new Zelda rep AND animal crossing rep
Size won't matter much if Ganon gets the Final Smash treatment, though his moveset would have to be mostly the same as that of Ganondorf.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sora is meant to look kinda goofy because he's fighting alongside Disney characters.
Not even just Disney characters, Goofy himself.

So it's only natural Sora looks goofy. :p

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Size won't matter much if Ganon gets the Final Smash treatment, though his moveset would have to be mostly the same as that of Ganondorf.
Blue pig Ganon would NOT have the same moveset as Ganondorf
That body type is nowhere near the same as captain falcon’s
He would use his trident and magic

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Blue pig Ganon would NOT have the same moveset as Ganondorf
That body type is nowhere near the same as captain falcon’s
He would use his trident and magic
Gosh what the biggest insult that would be if Ganon was a Ganondorf clone XD

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There was a problem fetching the tweet

New leak people, and it's from a person that I know pretty well on YouTube. It should be an interesting ride.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

New leak people, and it's from a person that I know pretty well on YouTube. It should be an interesting ride.
I mean there's not much to discuss here.

Bayonetta, Shulk, and Duck Hunt were basically guaranteed to return, and of course there'd be a new Battlefield.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

If it’s a leak it’s a pretty “nothing” leak

I’m sure villager and Rosalina will be back and final destination will look amazing too

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

This is the same level as saying that Mario and Link will be in Smash, no big surprise.
We want newcomers leaks, or new modes, damn it!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You guys think those character might be part of the reveal trailer? I guess something like showcasing all the veterans present could be a good way to hype up fans and ease those that fear their favorite character being cut.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
You guys think those character might be part of the reveal trailer? I guess something like showcasing all the veterans present could be a good way to hype up fans and ease those that fear their favorite character being cut.
Yeah, even just a trailer full of returning veterans would give us SOME kind of direction to go on, plus, as you said, ease up some fears. Not that I expect a ton of cuts, but seeing your favorite character being confirmed officially is still a relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom