• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
It was mostly a joke buddy. I'm also kinda tired as a Bayonetta fan/main of having to defend her inclusion in Smash Brothers, so I might have jumped the gun. Maybe you have a problem with Shulk or Duck Hunt, but typically it's always her.

You get bitter and ****** when people are constantly attacking your favorite character. I'm sure you know the feel. You seem to like Wolf and he has similar problems in the past.
It's fine, just try not to jump the gun like that. I know you said it was mostly a joke, but it comes across as a rude dismissal of a different opinion.

I can understand your perspective, though. Since you brought him up, perhaps the most common mindset behind Wolf detractors is because "He's a clone". Eventually you grow numb to detractors.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
People's opinions on what they want or don't want in the game don't reflect their views on fans of those characters.
No, but they should seriously watch how they word their opinions though. Because even if a fan is knowledgable that character is fictional, no one wants to have to put up with constant ******** and moaning about one of their favorites.

It's probably why Daisy fans are also as obnoxious about her as they are. You give what you get sort of situation really.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I'd be 100% cool with Bayonetta being DLC again. That way her fans can still enjoy her without her being worked into the story modes/required to get all trophies/etc.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It baffles me and that's why I get so uppity with her haters that anyone could wish a character cut just because ''I don't like em."

I don't like half of the swordsmen on the roster either. I'm not gonna wish for any of them to get cut. Is it really hard to be nice to one another as fans? I don't think it is.
What baffles me is people who come on the internet to complain about characters they don't have to play as, just in general. Like why even bother?

I can understand complaining about things that actually affect gameplay like glitches, unbalanced characteristics, and random customs, but why spend your time in real life worrying about characters that are completely optional to use?

Improvements and additions make sense, but why do people have such real hatred for fictional characters in a video game?

Pink Gold Peach in Mario Kart is not something I lose sleep over at night. In fact I love Pink Gold Peach. I think she's cool. It's losing characters that I lose sleep over.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd be 100% cool with Bayonetta being DLC again. That way her fans can still enjoy her without her being worked into the story modes/required to get all trophies/etc.
Nope.

So you're telling us ''You have to wait for your character because I don't want to have to see her in my story mode."

Get out of here with that.

It's gross and rude.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
People's opinions on what they want or don't want in the game don't reflect their views on fans of those characters.
Well if you're hoping for a character to get cut, it means your okay with fans of that character getting the short end of the stick. As long as you get your way.

StormC

Smash Hero
For the record I don't have any problem with Bayonetta being in Smash.

What baffles me is people who come on the internet to complain about characters they don't have to play as, just in general. Like why even bother?

I can understand complaining about things that actually affect gameplay like glitches, unbalanced characteristics, and random customs, but why spend your time in real life worrying about characters that are completely optional to use?

Improvements and additions make sense, but why do people have such real hatred for fictional characters in a video game?

Pink Gold Peach in Mario Kart is not something I lose sleep over at night. In fact I love Pink Gold Peach. I think she's cool. It's losing characters that I lose sleep over.
If people feel having or not having something will make a game a better product then that's life. It's best to not take it personally when someone criticizes a video game character.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
For the record I don't have any problem with Bayonetta being in Smash.

If people feel having or not having something will make a game a better product then that's life. It's best to not take it personally when someone criticizes a video game character.
I don't take it personally. It just really perplexes me.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Bayonetta should be removed from Smash forever.

She's a terrible character and doesn't fit the mold of my game.

Sakurai and Nintendo rigged the ballot for her to get in because they hate Ridley, and no other reason.

:troll: Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman

(fyi not srs.)

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Nope.

So you're telling us ''You have to wait for your character because I don't want to have to see her in my story mode."

It's gross and rude.
I was just musing, and considering she's 99% certain to be in the base game, my musings mean nothing :laugh:

I get that you're obviously big into the character, so I'm happy for you and yours that you'll likely get to enjoy her from the beginning this time. Personally, she's the only fighter I actively dislike, and that leaks out from time to time, so I apologize.

I'm not sure you care (and also have a suspicion I got blocked by you for some reason), but again, there are always unlockables tied to playing as each character through "insert mode", so character inclusions aren't 100% optional.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
Sakurai and Nintendo rigged the ballot for her to get in because they hate Ridley, and no other reason.
we should get rid of everyone and make ridley the only character. people cant complain about his size if there's nobody else to compare to, right?

aaaaanyway there's plenty of characters i wouldn't have added in the first place, like Cloud, or half the Fire Emblem crew. but now that they're here it seems useless and petty to drop them. i hate that i lost Wolf, someone else would hate just as much to lose Corrin.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To avoid this awful back and forth.

I have a big question.

MoH said that the man was a E3 guy, as in he set up stuff for E3.

So, I can easily see how such a man would see Battlefield. It's the basic stage for Smash.

But how on earth has the man seen Bayonetta, Shulk and especially Duck Hunt?

If this leak is true...

Does that mean we'll know most of the veterans at E3? Will it be some sort of Splatoon 2 type game?

K1ngtony

Smash Rookie
I Really want noctis from final fantasy XV in Smash Switch/ Smash 5 I feel like he is really good character with an interesting move set who is HELLA slept on'

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

I have a big question.

So, I can easily see how such a man would see Battlefield. It's the basic stage for Smash.

If this leak is true...

Does that mean we'll know most of the veterans at E3? Will it be some sort of Splatoon 2 type game?
A splatoon 2 type game?
So like a sequel? :rolleyes:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Swamp means that Splatoon 2 used a lot of assets from Splatoon to turn around so quickly.

He's musing that Sakurai might have done the same with Smash Switch.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
we should get rid of everyone and make ridley the only character. people cant complain about his size if there's nobody else to compare to, right?

aaaaanyway there's plenty of characters i wouldn't have added in the first place, like Cloud, or half the Fire Emblem crew. but now that they're here it seems useless and petty to drop them. i hate that i lost Wolf, someone else would hate just as much to lose Corrin.
Side note: I played a bit of Corrin the other day, and the character is starting to grow on me a bit. People are pushing back at the amount of FE reps in Smash, but I'm getting quite comfortable with them. Maybe we don't need to add another one in Smash 5, and can just rest on our current six?

Corrin is already pretty much what we would have gotten for a rep this time if she hadn't been added already, so we could just consider her DLC an early Switch character :)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Haven't seen anyone post this third part of the "leak". Way too easy to fake, but still, here it is.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

I have a big question.

If this leak is true...

While I have no factual evidence to back this up, I do believe the game will use a decent amount of assets from the previous game, especially DLC assets. They were all recent and more polished than many of the characters in the base game. So I could easily see several of the DLC characters being on the base roster.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Swamp means that Splatoon 2 used a lot of assets from Splatoon to turn around so quickly.

He's musing that Sakurai might have done the same with Smash Switch.
Well 2 years is a long time enough time for development, I’m sure it was easier than it was going from melee to brawl or brawl to 4
But if splatoon 2 is anything to go by, it’s more than enough to be considered a sequel

Troykv

Smash Master
Side note: I played a bit of Corrin the other day, and the character is starting to grow on me a bit. People are pushing back at the amount of FE reps in Smash, but I'm getting quite comfortable with them. Maybe we don't need to add another one in Smash 5, and can just rest on our current six?

Corrin is already pretty much what we would have gotten for a rep this time if she hadn't been added already, so we could just consider her DLC an early Switch character :)
If she/he wasn't part of the DLC Cast, she would be the FE New Character in Smash Switch... Fates was the FE Game in the 2014-2016 age and one of few notable games of those years.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Blue pig Ganon would NOT have the same moveset as Ganondorf
That body type is nowhere near the same as captain falcon’s
He would use his trident and magic
What if Ganondorf's moveset was greatly altered so that he utilizes a trident? It probably won't happen though, since Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off title.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
What if Ganondorf's moveset was greatly altered so that he utilizes a trident? It probably won't happen though, since Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off title.
Well i’d be okay with that too but i’d prefer he uses dual swords like in hyrule warriors/wind waker if anything
Since classic Ganon is more known for using the trident it would make more sense on him

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well i’d be okay with that too but i’d prefer he uses dual swords like in hyrule warriors if anything
Since classic Ganon is more known for using the trident it would make more sense on him
The main issue right now is determining which Ganon incarnation gets used. If he's a standard fighter, his power would have to be kept in check.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Nope.

It's gross and rude.
If you think this is rude.
You wouldn't want to touch a Capcom Fighting game or Arc-Sys Fighting game then-
He just said something that is common nowaday to think in the fighting game industry-
I'll be slightly rude by saying Grow a skin- because that wasn't even that bad- Trust me, there WAY WAAAAAY worst out there

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Haven't seen anyone post this third part of the "leak". Way too easy to fake, but still, here it is.
That's....like nothing.

This is honestly the safest leak in the history of ever.

It's like a girl saying ''I'm gonna send you a suggestive picture." and it's just her showing you her shoulder blade.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
If you think this is rude.
You wouldn't want to touch a Capcom Fighting game or Arc-Sys Fighting game then-
He just said something that is common nowaday to think in the fighting game industry-
I'll be slightly rude by saying Grow a skin- because that wasn't even that bad- Trust me, there WAY WAAAAAY worst out there
You're also gross and rude for defending him. :)

It doesn't matter if worse has been said. If you can't say nice ****. Don't say **** at all.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
One more thing regarding MoH's leak.

He claims that his source showed him screenshots of what Nintendo's E3 show floor will look like this year.

What makes this interesting is that the same source (or so he claims) showed him screenshots of Nintendo's show floor last year, and it ended up being completely right.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Everyone talks about returning characters and all

FFS, BRING BACK BOARD THE PLATFORMS!

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You're also gross and rude for defending him. :)

It doesn't matter if worse has been said. If you can't say nice ****. Don't say **** at all.
Yeah- That's how it work in the real world ! Oh wait...
Yeah no sorry dude, not anything or everything need to go your way- People will always have opinion against yours, doesn't mean it's rude or not. It's just their opinion on a matter, what matter is if you can understand that there no safespace and what you can see as rude, can just be people saying their own opinion even if you see it as rude. It's just a game in the end man- . t- Roy fan who saw his character insulted since the Brawl speculation

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Takamaru

Mechanics:

1. Blue Sandals: Instead of using his second jump, Takamaru can run horizontally in the air (leaving ripples of light below his sandals) by holding the jump button after the first jump. A press of 'A' while running performs a running slash. After the attack or length of the run, Takamaru will fall, but can still attack and use specials and dodge.

2. Shogi Pieces: Takamaru has a meter. Landing sword attacks fills the meter. When full, all three Shogi pieces appear where the meter was originally. Projectiles are improved for a limited time.

3. Sword String: For many attacks, Takamaru unsheathes his sword, quickly drawing his weapon for a slice. On tilts if he inputs a different tilt, while performing the first attack, Takamaru will not sheath his sword, but rather string the attacks together. There is less initial startup, but more lag after the second strike.

Takamaru uses throwing weapons for disruptions. He is fast, utilizing different techniques to close the distance to combo with his blade. An advanced player can dominate the battlefield. Takamaru has a sub-theme of being able to deal with multiple opponents with multi-projectile weapons, sweeping throws that suck in nearby enemies and an Up Smash that erupts into a lightning bolt.

However, he is light and tall and has moderate knock-back output.
SPECIALS

B Throwing Knife: Quickly throws a knife. If B is held, throws a second knife shortly afterwards. Does little damage and hitstun.

• Upgraded B Fire Shuriken: Throws three fireballs shaped like shurikens simultaneously in a row.

Side B Windmill Sword: Throws a curved, double bladed throwing weapon that goes far. Does more damage and stun than the knives, yet has longer animation. Only one can be on screen at the time, unless improved.

• Upgraded Side B Fourway Windmill Sword (+): Throws Four Windmill Swords in a + pattern. One behind, one in front, one directly above, one directly below.

Smash Side B Diagonal Windmill Sword: The throwing weapon goes forward and up at 45 degree angle, instead of straight.

• Upgraded Side B Fourward Windmill sword (X): Throws Four Windmill Swords in an X pattern.

Up B "I am throwing weapon": Takamaru flips multiple times in an upward arc while spinning his sword completely around him each time. Multiple hits with slight hitstun if an opponent is caught in the center of the blade. Goes all the way to the floor (with ending leg) unless:

• A press of 'B' will allow him to send an ending strike forward and down (meteor strike) then go into free fall. Can be canceled into free fall. Must end attack with a strike before you can grab the ledge.

Down B: Spiritual Projection: Takamaru meditates, legs crossed, arms out, palms up. A translucent image of him runs in the direction he is facing. The projection will go half of Fox's Illusion before disappearing. If B is pressed, Takamaru vanishes and appears where his illusion is running. The illusion becomes solid and Takamaru strikes upwards with his katana. Sets up combos. If any other button is pressed, Takamaru cancels the illusion and exits his meditating stance.
• Image goes through projectiles

-----------

A: Unsheaths, hitting with hilt during the action
Tilt A: Unsheathes for a low-range downward strike and then a straight stab.
Down A: Crouches down, unsheathes sword and spins body one revolution forward while slashing out blade low
Up A: Unsheathes and flicks blade upwards

Dash Attack: Slides low on sandals, unsheaths and slashes forwards

Smash: Unsheathes sword and does two rolling downwards strikes while taking a step forward between them. Can reflect projectiles. Moderate knockback.

Down Smash: Hunkers down (one knee bent and the other leg stretched out and braced for a pivot), unsheathes sword and with a hard two-handed grip revolves the sword around his body. If tipped, sends opponent into a roll in the direction they were going. Otherwise, the swipe sends the enemy completely horizontally. Moderate, yet straight angle is good for knocking people off stage.

Up Smash: Raises an illuminating sword straight up with two hands. Flashes blue. If an enemy touches the sword, a lightning bolt shoots out carrying the opponent upwards. Others can be hit by the bolt.

Neutral Aerial: Throws a knife in front and behind him. Does not upgrade with Shogi pieces.
Forward Aerial: Unsheathes sword and swings forward and up. Can combo into Up Aerial.
Back Aerial: Spins around, unsheathes sword and slice diagonally at a downward angle.
Down Aerial: A quick slice underneath. Does not meteor. Gives slight vertical lift to Takamaru the first time he uses it.
Up Aerial: Flips as he unsheathes sword and swings upwards.

Grab: Takamaru has a very short grab. His throws deal fair damage, but do not have the best knockback. The exaggerated slashes (longer than usual) and movement are designed to nab other enemies in free-for-alls.

A: Dips shoulder and hits with a braced forearm
Forward Throw: Two exaggerated slashes while moving forward, last sends opponents away
Up Throw: Two exaggerated slashes while rising up, last sends opponents away. Lands back on floor.
Back Throw: Whirls around opponent and dashes in with two exaggerated slashes, sending opponent away
Down Throw: Hit opponent down with his elbow and rakes them back and forth along the floor with two downward exaggerated slashes.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's not me asking for a safe space. And god do I hate that word so thank you for making me type it out.

It's just if you can't voice your opinion without putting a character down. Then perhaps your opinion isn't worth being said.

All I'm saying is there is a correct way to word a negative opinion. Most detractors have no clue how to do this. And this is coming from someone who is blunt as all hell.

If you can't word your opinion in a way that's not gonna potentially cause feelings. Don't say it or heavily think about how you're gonna word yourself.

It's really not that hard.

Tree Gelbman Tree Gelbman

I think you need to calm down a little bit man. No harm is meant right now.
I am calm. I think you should know when I'm calm or if I'm not calm by now. :)

Last edited:

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Small aesthetic things I think would improve Smash:
  • Put clones/dlc with their respective series! It's so weird to have Fire Emblem characters in 3 places in the UI.
  • Give everyone a unique victory theme. Pretty much every character has some kind of music associated with them from their series, so let's give everyone the MetaKnight/Bowser treatment.
  • Give us an alt costume for each fighter ala Wario/Cloud/Bayonetta. It'd be great fan service, and allow for things like TP and BotW Link to both be represented.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's just if you can't voice your opinion without putting a character down. Then perhaps your opinion isn't worth being said.
I'll give this final Answers out of respect for an Ex-mod just for this single sentence you wrote

Is This your first smash speculation buddy?
Because putting characters down to put your opinion up is probably the easiest and oldest things people did since the brawl days
If you think Bayonetta Fan got it bad.
Imagine Fire Emblem Fans getting their licence trashed because some other licence didn't got the same treatment.

Now then- Let's go back to a normal discussion!
So- About the leak? I think it's pretty safe- Perhaps the characters they will shows item in the stand might be the one playables at the invitational? Probably?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom